Nottingham, England
How did I do that?

Corvette Grand Sport running All Night I against: -

Castrol Supra GT
GTO Twin Turbo
NSX-R LM GT2
GT-R LM
Imprezza Rally Edition

Have you ever seen such a line up for an endurance race? No me neither, there's usually a couple of dead ducks in the line up so you don't come last.

I started at the back of the grid due to a bad qualifying run where I didn't even finish, slapped a barrier and spun so I abondon the run. Against the opposition I thought I wouldn't stand a chance, on my last race in GT I'm going to come last. By the 3rd lap I was leading after some brillant driving, overtaking the more powerful cars in the corners where their power counted against them.

By lap 15 I thought I had enough of a gap to pit and get out in front, but the GTO and Supra had closed the gap more than I thought. By the time I re-entered the race I was 3rd and the NSX passed me as I started round the first corner.

Well 4th is better than last and the NSX isn't that far ahead. After running a lap to warm my tires I went full throtle after the NSX which hadn't got away as much as I thought it would. Passed the NSX underneath the bridge and started to close the gap on the Supra.

Passed the Supra down the straight after 2 laps of chasing him and started on the GTO, bringing the Supra with me. Caught and passed the GTO, I think his tires were going and the Supra passed him on the next lap, he might have pitted to let the Supra past.

Led until the end increasing the gap over the Supra until my tires started going when it tried to claw back the advantage but all too soon the chequed flag was waved as I sped over the line.

Corvette Grand Sport 56:53:644
Castrol Supra GT +19'524"
GTO Twin Turbo +19'984"
NSX-R LM GT2 +30'408"
GT-R LM +51'192"
Imprezza Rally Edition +88'798"

I've not seen 2 AI cars be so close at the end of an endurance race either and on paper the Corvette shouldn't have stood a chance, it helps of course that I have setup the gears to allow me to reach top speed by the end of the straight, something the AI cars don't do.

It certainly made my last race in GT something to remember fondly.

Hey you know me, I love a good race story. I never got around to trying the Corvette in any of the enduros. GT2 got my fancy before I could attempt this!

Last edited:
videogame adict
I have a very good question; WHY ARE YOU STILL PLAYING GT1!?

Because in my opinon GT1 is the best game so far. Yes GT2 has more cars and GT3 has better graphics but for good gameplay and huge enterainment you can't beat GT1. I do confess that I don't own GT4 yet so my opinon might change, I doubt it though from what I've read on the boards.

I have a very good question; WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING!!!!

TMM
I have a very good question; WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING!!!!

Videogame adict has had a brief history in GTP thus far, and has proven him or herself to be quite a pain in the ass. Feel free to break out the flamethrower. Suit up, VA!

Parnelli Bone
Videogame adict has had a brief history in GTP thus far, and has proven him or herself to be quite a pain in the ass. Feel free to break out the flamethrower. Suit up, VA!

It was a fair question, usually newer version of games are better and so the old versions don't get played but I'm a big fan of GT1 although I am shortly going to start my GT2 caraer, if I can just sort out some of the car names and all of the cars power and weight ratings.

I try not to flame people, in case I do something wrong and get it back 10 fold but it does annoy me when people start using CAPS on silly things like that.

I have every GT game made, Including 14 Manufacturer Gran Turismo Demo's and I still run back to play GT1, I just can't get away from the handleing, The engine sounds, Spectactular game play and the idea that it was the best racing game for such a long time, A true classic! 👍

TMM
It was a fair question, usually newer version of games are better and so the old versions don't get played but I'm a big fan of GT1 although I am shortly going to start my GT2 caraer, if I can just sort out some of the car names and all of the cars power and weight ratings.

I try not to flame people, in case I do something wrong and get it back 10 fold but it does annoy me when people start using CAPS on silly things like that.

I was joking about flaming, I'll give video another chance. but he did post on GT2 and the first thing he said was rude, I'm not the only one who thought so, and what comes around goes around...

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I was joking about flaming, i'll give video another chance. but he did post on GT2 and the first thing he said was rude, i'm not the only one who thought so, and what comes around goes around...

I see what you mean. He seems to stick to the GT4 forum mostly so maybe he took a wrong turn and ended up in the GT & GT2 forums by mistake?

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1enduro.txt

I beat the GTO Twin Turbo at the GV300 with the Corvette '96. September 10, 1999

September 24, 2000, I beat the field you describe in the GV300 with a Primera.

I didn't try longshots at the All-Night races so much, but my impression was that a worse car could do better at that track; the AI had problems with lots of the corners.

SportWagon
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1enduro.txt

I beat the GTO Twin Turbo at the GV300 with the Corvette '96. September 10, 1999

September 24, 2000, I beat the field you describe in the GV300 with a Primera.

I didn't try longshots at the All-Night races so much, but my impression was that a worse car could do better at that track; the AI had problems with lots of the corners.

Wow... I thought I was doing well beating them in a Corvette but you bettered that beating that field in a Primera and at GV300 as well. Was it Turbo or NA?

I agree, the corners are tight and I think the AI get in each others way trying to get round them. Several times I have noticed an AI car right behind me only to fall foul at a corner or cut out and he's gone, way behind me.

Sometime watch, from behind an AI car, a replay of a race at SSR11. You'll probably see them bounce off several walls on most laps. The part they find hardest on the reverse course is the last few corners, where you need to line up just right to remove the kinks. They tend to hit the walls instead.

In both directions they take it very slow on the part from the first/last tunnel through the corner and the hairpin before/after it. You can make up lots of time there by joining the corners the way they can't. And make up a little more with a careful light bounce off a wall. :embarrassed:

Here are details about my Primera at GV300.

Remember that in the PAL version, race-mods are often a lot heavier than in the North American version, so you might not be able to come close to the same times.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-09-23.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-09-24.html

That doesn't answer your turbo/NA question, but my recollection is that car doesn't take a turbo?

SportWagon
Sometime watch, from behind an AI car, a replay of a race at SSR11. You'll probably see them bounce off several walls on most laps. The part they find hardest on the reverse course is the last few corners, where you need to line up just right to remove the kinks. They tend to hit the walls instead.

In both directions they take it very slow on the part from the first/last tunnel through the corner and the hairpin before/after it. You can make up lots of time there by joining the corners the way they can't. And make up a little more with a careful light bounce off a wall. :embarrassed:

Here are details about my Primera at GV300.

Remember that in the PAL version, race-mods are often a lot heavier than in the North American version, so you might not be able to come close to the same times.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-09-23.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-09-24.html

That doesn't answer your turbo/NA question, but my recollection is that car doesn't take a turbo?

I wasn't sure, it's been a few years since I raced a Primeria and that was in GT2. If in the NTSC version the cars are lighter, does that also include the AI cars or is there no way of telling that?

$u!$l!d3
why in gods name would any 1 want to play this with gt4 available

Maybe because they can't afford to buy GT4, or maybe that can't afford a PS2 or maybe, like me, they are working their way through the series and so haven't got GT4 yet.

why in gods name have you posted or even looked in this forum if that is all you have to offer. If you read some of the prevouis posts in this thread, or some of the other threads in this forum I think your question would have been answered.

$u!$l!d3

I'd also like to add familiarity. Sometimes it's best to play what you know. I personally haven't touched GT1 since last summer, but I've been exploring GT2 for over a year. The best most important factor of racing (more than power or even speed) is knowledge of the track. If you don't know the track you're racing, you'll constantly be guessing. You may still win, but your replay will look sucky as you ride thru grass, take corners all wrong, stuff like that.

ALSO, there is the fact that some people have tried the sequels and were simply disappointed with them for whatever reason. I remember my very first GT2 race (Sunday Cup @ Tahiti in an '82 Starlet). I was so disappointed with the graphics! I had to go back to GT1 briefly to check and make sure my eyes weren't fooling me. Fortunately, as it turns out, Tahiti is the worst looking track in that game.

Last edited:
$u!$l!d3
TMM
Maybe because they can't afford to buy GT4, or maybe that can't afford a PS2 or maybe, like me, they are working their way through the series and so haven't got GT4 yet.

why in gods name have you posted or even looked in this forum if that is all you have to offer. If you read some of the prevouis posts in this thread, or some of the other threads in this forum I think your question would have been answered.

I didn't even get started on gameplay. I enjoy endurance races but after 2 hours my wife gets very fretfull that I'm ignoring her. Either that or I wait until she's gone to bed and then I'm falling asleep racing the car round the track. That has happened to me several times and I don't like it. So why have they included a 24 hour race? I'll have to book a week off work just to race it, day 1 practice the course, day 2 get some rest. Day 3 & 4 race for 24 hours and day 5 recover from the race. I'm not as young as I was when I did used to stay up all night playing video games or D&D. I'm not even sure that my body can take it any more.

Very few people actually race any laps, let alone all, of the twenty-four hour races themselves.

B-spec gives you an AI co-driver(s) who can do the entire race for you if you like. And it tends to drive faster than I do. And if you supervise B-spec mode, you can view it at 3x and so take only a bit more than 8 hours to do a 24-hour race.

I've done (had my Bspec team do) three 24 hour races so far.
  1. Started earlyish in the morning, went to meet my wife at the grocery store, and finished up when we came back in the evening
  2. Started earlyish in the morning, visited in-laws in the afternoon, and finished up late that night
  3. Started at 2am, supervised until almost 4am, checked in briefly about 9am, went out-of-town for the day, supervised from about 8pm until 10pm to finish.

But overall, I agree with you. All I can figure is that the game testers and designers, perhaps Kazunori Yamauchi himself, spend nearly all day testing the game, and reasonable length races begin to seem to short and non-challenging, and so they felt the need to add something to challenge themselves. But the resulting ultra-long races become almost a ridiculous chore for others.

My all-time favourite Endurance Race was the Trial Mountain 30 of GT2.

I knew that you could assign your B-Spec driver to drive the race for you, but whats the point of having an AI driver racing around a virtual track against other AI drivers. If I wanted to be a manager of a race team then I would buy a manager type game. When you say supervise the driver, can you tak over and race some laps and then let him race the rest?

I might ask a couple of my friends if they want to organise a weekend race, then we can take turns do say an hour or so and then swap. We could also see who gets the fastest lap whilst driving their stint.

Maybe I should start to train my wife and baby in driving GT!!!

Parnelli Bone
Wow, what a spoiler! I'm so behind in the Gran Turismo games...*sigh*.

Don't worry. I'm just as behind as you are, I haven't even start GT2 yet. I need to put some time and effort into getting the cars ready.

TMM
Don't worry. I'm just as behind as you are, I haven't even start GT2 yet. I need to put some time and effort into getting the cars ready.

I read somewhere that when GT2 came out they boasted it would take over a year to finish it, which is true in a way: if you drive all the cars in the game and really get to know them it can take more than a year. There's like millions of combinations of settings, races, parts! I think by the end of the summer I'm gonna start exploring GT3 finally...

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I read somewhere that when GT2 came out they boasted it would take over a year to finish it, which is true in a way: if you drive all the cars in the game and really get to know them it can take more than a year. There's like millions of combinations of settings, races, parts! I think by the end of the summer i'm gonna start exploring GT3 finally...

Great I've a lot of work to do then. I'm aiming to do the same with GT2 that I did with GT1, that is enter the cars in every available race and I'll have something like 30 cars to start with. And with winning a car for virtually every race and I could well end up with more than 100 cars. I will have to split the garage which could be complicated.

Keep in touch and let us know how the GT3 exploration is going.

There is no point getting the AI to do races 4 you. What the hells the point.
TMM is right. I dont want to be a team manager.

And as 4 24hr enduros i'll just have to race it myself, leave the ps2 on while i sleep after doing so many laps then get back to it. Not pleasant.

And what do you get if u win 4 a 24hr enduro?

Paris Hilton for the weekend???????? :)

P.S. I finished GT1, got GT3, got sick of it, went back and then just couldn't believe how 🤬 the graphics were.

But its the reason i'm here and GT is another reason to live. :bowdown:

After racing for 24 hours would you really want Paris Hilton for the weekend, or be able to do anything with her if you got her???

I would want somebody to come in and clean the house, cook me food and just let me relax and sleep after racing for 24 hours!!!! Maybe I'm just old.

So Razorback, what are you racing in GT1 now to keep your interest? Or have you gone back to GT3 or onwards to GT4?

Back to the subject of this thread: the other day I worked on my very first real-life Corvette! It wasn't a Grand Sport, it was a 2002 and had 405 hp and a 6-speed transmission. Man I wanted to take that baby for a drive but instead I got to change its oil and top off all the fluids!

Last edited:
Yesterday I drove by a Corvette coming to work, it was a later model, probably the 2002 model. It had 4 exaust stubs coming out of the back, 2 either side of a third of rear width, does that make any sence? In the UK we don't see many Corvette's just driving around the roads.

TMM
Yesterday I drove by a Corvette coming to work, it was a later model, probably the 2002 model. It had 4 exaust stubs coming out of the back, 2 either side of a third of rear width, does that make any sence? In the UK we don't see many Corvette's just driving around the roads.

unless you drive 20 mins up the road to newark, and go to the americana when its on at the showground TMM.

Then u can see 100's in full polish and lacquered glory.

btw, if u are any good at gt4, then pm me.

👍

TMM
After racing for 24 hours would you really want Paris Hilton for the weekend, or be able to do anything with her if you got her???

I would want somebody to come in and clean the house, cook me food and just let me relax and sleep after racing for 24 hours!!!! Maybe I'm just old.

So Razorback, what are you racing in GT1 now to keep your interest? Or have you gone back to GT3 or onwards to GT4?

You must be getting old TMM!!!!!
🤬 me, im only 30 and i wouldnt say no. Even after 24 hours!

:) Anyway, went back to GT3 and started a thread about getting my SS back. Sent u a reply but u must be soaking up the Notts sunshine. :)

Gonna buy GT4 when i finally crack Formula GT(98.3%)

The other day I saw two red mid-sixties models driving down the road; a convertible followed by the boat-tail type coupe as in GT1.

Razorback
You must be getting old TMM!!!!!
🤬 me, im only 30 and i wouldnt say no. Even after 24 hours!

I'm only just over 30 but yes I'm getting old. I might manage something more pleasureable with her if she was willing to do all the work!!!!

Razorback
:) Anyway, went back to GT3 and started a thread about getting my SS back. Sent u a reply but u must be soaking up the Notts sunshine. :)

Nope just working hard that's all.

Razorback
Gonna buy GT4 when i finally crack Formula GT(98.3%)

Whats Formula GT? Is it any good? I see that they have relased a SCEE version of SRS, I think that might be my next buy if I can find a good second hand copy.

Razorback
unless you drive 20 mins up the road to newark, and go to the americana when its on at the showground TMM.

Then u can see 100's in full polish and lacquered glory.

I was meaning driving around on the roads, didn't know there was an Americana @ Newark. When's it on?

Razorback
btw, if u are any good at gt4, then pm me.

I've not even played the game yet so ofcourse I'm brillant at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back