Cost of GT6

• Thread starter bzking23
  • 38 comments
United States
Chicago
bzking23
as many people know, the cost of sim racing has become more and more expensive, and with people wanting more features and cars added to gt6, the question comes up; How much will it cost you. GT5 had cost $60 new, and the gt series games have risen in cost almost every time. More than likely we will have to pay $80 for the gt6 we want, but what are your opinion on how this will happen, will its possible high cost slow you down from buying it?

It's going to cost $60. I'm not sure how this is even something that can be discussed.

And they aren't going to raise the MSRP for videogames again, so it will cost $60 regardless of if it is a PS3 or PS4 game.

Toronado
It's going to cost $60. I'm not sure how this is even something that can be discussed.

And they aren't going to raise the MSRP for videogames again, so it will cost $60 regardless of if it is a PS3 or PS4 game.

Yes, I would be surprised to see it cost more than $60. I would still buy the game even if it did become $70.

It's still good value. Especially compared with the CoD series. The GT Series has over double the content but it's still a lot cheaper here in NZ.

wait, the games cost $60 there in the USA? In Spain the new games cost €70 ($87 Today), and this is without the new higher taxes.

Last edited:
wait, the games cost $60 there in the USA? In Spain the new games cost €70 ($87 Today), and this is without the new higher taxes.

Yes that is normal. We in europe pay way more than the rest of the world for games. But the economy in the USA is even worse than in the souther europe states. They dont earn that much generally and the market is different.

And in those 70€ there are 19 % (germany) taxes included. I am not sure, if they have taxes on games there (?).

But maybe GT6 wont cost anything. 0 €/$. Maybe it will go the free to play route. PD / Sony already had those plans for GT5, but they stopped this plan.

I remember SNES games being $60. Don't mind paying $60 for PS3 and 360 games. Every now and again, I'll pay extra for a limited edition.

Isn't there a maximum agreed price anyway for game titles, bar special editions ofcourse?
If the prices for PS4 games rise, that'll be across the board, not just GT-games.
And since I expect (and hope) GT6 will be a PS3 title, I don't expect it to cost more than GT5 anyway.

UK games are only like 40-50 pounds, don't know in dollars though

Does anyone actually pay that though? I haven't paid over £40 for a single current gen game, 360 or PS3. Most can be had for £35 or less on release day.

Toronado

So why is it that your word is where the buck stops?

So why is it that your word is where the buck stops?
This would be clever as a callback to when I said the same to you towards how you were acting in that other thread if what I said wasn't so straightforward. Videogame prices have been standardized on optical systems since the PSX came out. Publishers don't charge more than the standardized price for certain games just because they cost more to develop than other ones; and a first party game of all things won't be an exception to that rule.

Unless you have something to suggest that Sony would risk negative publicity and lost sales to arbitrarily charge more money for a game that they are guaranteed to make a profit on anyway, of course. By all means share it if you do.

Last edited:
Yes that is normal. We in europe pay way more than the rest of the world for games. But the economy in the USA is even worse than in the souther europe states. They dont earn that much generally and the market is different.

And in those 70€ there are 19 % (germany) taxes included. I am not sure, if they have taxes on games there (?).

But maybe GT6 wont cost anything. 0 €/$. Maybe it will go the free to play route. PD / Sony already had those plans for GT5, but they stopped this plan.
I think Australia/New Zealand is even worse. I know someone who even imports games from UK stores simply because that's cheaper for him than it is in local stores. And the funny thing is that even applies to digital content.

This would be clever as a callback to when I said the same to you towards how you were acting in that other thread if what I said wasn't so straightforward. Videogame prices have been standardized on optical systems since the PSX came out. Publishers don't charge more than the standardized price for certain games just because they cost more to develop than other ones; and a first party game of all things won't be an exception to that rule.

Unless you have something to suggest that Sony would risk negative publicity and lost sales to arbitrarily charge more money for a game that they are guaranteed to make a profit on anyway, of course. By all means share it if you do.
Maybe in the USA, but here in the good old PS2 times the prices varied from 80-100CHF and this quite randomly. Then later it happend in a similar manner with the PS3 games, they cost about 90CHF at the beginning (sometimes even 100CHF), but then they prices droped and now they cost about 80CHF (sometimes even less), there are stores which still sell them for 90CHF though. Oh and btw, taxes always included, but they didn't change anyway.

It will be a GABILLION DOLLARS DARN IT!

No seriously around the same price, but will I buy it at first launch doubt it especially with how GT5 went for me.

Rushton1996
It's still good value. Especially compared with the CoD series. The GT Series has over double the content but it's still a lot cheaper here in NZ.

I don't okay COD but some play almost nightly.

Good value is an individuals opinion.
If someone gets plenty of hours out of it then fair enough.

Conversely I would say poor value for money games are things like Uncharted/Bioshock/Sleeping dogs etc.

Purely because of lack of replay value. The production costs of those titles are not cheap however. I recomend a rental for those type of games.

Games regarded as long term interests for me are.

Sports
Racing
100+ hours rpg
Creative software, soundshapes etc.

Amongst a few.

With the advent of DLC, I don't expect anyone to price anything above 60$ anymore.

The market is slowing down and thus becoming more competitive, anyone who raises the entry price is at risk of falling down to their competitors who decide to stick with 60$. Microsoft titles make so much money from DLC (at least I can only imagine that they do, since just about every title releases it monthly) that they can afford to stick with a $60 entry fee, since they'll make up any "lost" profits on the back end.

It'll be like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Back