Could Forza Motorsport 8 Give Players Every Car from the Start?

Do it! Works wonders for AC and PC. FH is more that type of game. Real world buy/collect your cars, house, etc.

F8 as the racing game where, every car can be sampled as a driver, not having to worry about the budget. Just get in and drive whatever is available.

It would be a bad move to open the entire game up into a sandbox like that IMO. I'm not against having a free play or arcade mode where all of the cars are unlocked and can be experienced that way, or even a rental system like has been used previousely, but I want games that reward progression otherwise I lose the incentive to play.

IMO what Forza Motorsport 8 really needs to do is slow down the rate you collect the cars and earn credits, not go the other way and give you everything for free. In FM7 it became too easy, so easy to the point that I stopped caring about half the cars I won or was gifted and you get so many credits so early on I ended up asking myself "what is the actual point of the cars having prices?" I didn't want them to be free, but it felt like they might as well have been at times.

One of the first cars I got in FM7 was a Koenigsegg, and the ridiculous cars kept coming. If I wanted to, my very first car could have been a McLaren F1. Where's the incetive to try, where's the reward for progressing and doing well? If Forza becomes a sandbox it's just going to become a variation of Project Cars and Asseto Corsa, there is a market for those games but those games already exist to fill that niche.

Forza should reign itself in a bit more, stop dumbing itself down for the 10 second attention span casuals and become a good game again. FM7 could have been immense, but it missed so many marks for me. I haven't played it for at least a year. There's season pass content I haven't downloaded yet, because I cared so little about progressing in that game. I felt like there was just no incentive.

There is a balance to be had, you need to provide a reward for effort but not make the rewards come so fast and easy they take too little effort. However you also don't want it to be so laborious to obtain the rewards that people get bored along the way. Personally I really liked the old Gran Turismo method of certain cars being given as prizes for winnning events and everything else being purchasable. I miss that feeling of "what will I get for winning this event".

I would probably try to encourage people to play on higher difficulties and rather than forcing people to have to win everything (which encourages people to turn the difficulty down), offer the reward cars for finishing in the top 3 or something like that. That would appeal to me personally since some of the most fun races I've had online and against AI have been races where I've not won. When you have to win, sometimes that can overtake the fun of the occasion and it can become stresful or annoying. Making it too easy so you win even if you come 10th would be too far the other way but making top 3 an achievment could work IMO.

Speaking of difficulty, I actually think Forza's career mode having an adjustable AI difficulty possibly harms the longevity of the game overall becuase to obatin everything you only have to turn the difficulty down and grind, which takes time, but not effort, and that gets sterile fast. The feeling that you must win can really overtake just having fun and if you come across a challenging race you can always just make it easier. A system like the early Gran Turismos licenses could work better, perhaps not having to complete actual license tests, but use licenses to represent the difficulty of each event. If you want an easy race, pick an easy event, a hard race, pick a hard event etc. Then try to get on the podium.

Last edited:
“Specifically, he asks whether the game is about collecting cars, or having a more deep and meaningful relationship with a smaller collection of cars.“

You could interpret that as there will be less cars in the game but most likely higher quality car models, more details, possibly more sophisticated physics etc.

Kind of like the change from GT6 to GTSport

“Specifically, he asks whether the game is about collecting cars, or having a more deep and meaningful relationship with a smaller collection of cars.“

You could interpret that as there will be less cars in the game but most likely higher quality car models, more details, possibly more sophisticated physics etc.

I wouldn't. I would take it as if just wanting to have every single car in the game purely for the sake of having them all, or being a person that has a smaller, organized, specific garage where they'll tend to have a better relationship with the vehicles within compared to the former.

Considering that one of the things that makes Forza interesting to some (and what makes it semi-viable in a market that has all pretty much fallen in lock step) is that large car list, that spans from pre-war to modern, cutting it down will inevitably lead to whining and it'd probably decimate some categories. And besides, this isn't like GT5 or 6 where the vast majority of the vehicles are frankly eyesore Standard cars, or variants up the wazoo. Moreover, they really just need to fix some of the older models on the car list, and bring them up to snuff. Trying to add little flourishes like GT Sport does would be frankly pointless, because how many people are realistically going to see them, or really care for them once they go 'huh, that's cool' ?

I personally wouldn't be opposed to that as I'm not a big fan of grinding. I don't like career modes or as it was brought up earlier getting in a 70hp Micra and tuning the crap out of it, that's just not me. I don't have the patience for things like that. I like to get in something and just race it and I'm far from bored with FM7 or PC2. I can find something that still interests me.

The current system of credits is fine with me.

Every Forza besides some cars, even the example i gave about starter cars and progression, has a "freeplay" mode with the majority of cars unlocked for racing, just no personal ownership for customisation or painting/wrapping. Now, FM3/4 didn't have it perfect, i'm sure like me people love the ****-box to race car style progression but at the same time people would also want to get into more focused racing right away. FM7 nearly had it, it nearly had it covered, then it brought, imo, the horrible homologation system which threw customisation, tuning, performance mods and that "personal touch" with your car, out the freaking window. credits are also fine, the amount you GET though is still way out of whack imo.

I am all for this concept. I play the game because I enjoy playing the game with cars that I enjoy driving. I don't like being forced to go through some maze that guides me to the end destination, especially if I don't enjoy the journey of getting there. Just let me buy the cars that I want to drive, and let me play with them!

Imo...... I would rather have 400 cars but more real life tracks.....

I do not have an issue with not every car being available at the start.... But some of the cars are definitely locked up way too long or hard to get.

I think the bottom line here is that T10 is trying to make people feel more connection with their car, but I'm not sure if this is a goal worth pursuing. How people feel connected to the car in a game is quite personal thing, and I don't know if it's something that can be forced by the developers.

Hoping to hear more announcement on this in future.

Forza could give every car ever made but as long as it has the same old wonky physics...most sim racers will pass.

deadcars.jpg

I think one of the first prize car in Forza 6 was the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. There is no sense of satisfaction in the latest games, and it's true for Forza Motorsport, Horizon and GTSport. No feeling of progression.
The feeling of progression should be from becoming a more skilled driver - getting higher up on leaderboards, becoming higher ranked and racing against better drivers etc. The car is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Having said that, I think we might have reached the stage where they need to completely separate the single player and multiplayer aspects. Single player = progression via time spent, like FM7 career mode, cars are unlocked by spending time without any significant skill required. Multiplayer = progression via improving skill, cars are just a tool of the trade that are provided from the start. It seems to increasingly be the case that many players are mainly interested in only one of these two elements.

In my opinion, the best way is to have all vehicles unlocked, but still make us earn credits to buy them. That gives the supposed "work" that people seem to think is needed in a racing game, without hiding things behind limited time community events and random wheelspins and that kinda stuff.

Locked vehicles are really irritating for running organized leagues/events as a lot of the people who run those don't have much interest in playing the (usually terrible) career modes and Forzathons and the like, they just want to have good races with other people.

I fully agree with above and have posted the same point myself many times elsewhere, progression in a racing game should be about becoming a better driver. The point of the game should be to have great races, and/or enjoying driving.

If one can only enjoy a racing/driving game if they have something to "work" for then I have to wonder why they are really playing the game in the first place. If you enjoy racing or driving then you shouldn't need some carrot dangling in front of you to encourage you to do it.

If one can only enjoy a racing/driving game if they have something to "work" for then I have to wonder why they are really playing the game in the first place. If you enjoy racing or driving then you shouldn't need some carrot dangling in front of you to encourage you to do it.
I don't believe that's the only way a person can enjoy a racing game but it certainly is a reason people enjoy them and you shouldn't be critical of that view. Why do people enjoy adventure games and RPG's? Part of it is the gameplay mechanics sure, but another part is the journey.

Racing games where you start with a cheap car and work your way through a career provide players with a journey and quite often a player will experience more in a game that they have to work through than in a game where they just pick what they are most interested in all the time. How many people played a Gran Turismo game and found a car they really like because they used it for a certain event, but otherwise would probably have never tried? I know I have.

Having a progression system that rewards work isn't a problem, or a bad thing. It's a different experience to an open sandbox and one that is just as rewarding for those who enjoy it as it is for those who instead prefer to hop into whatever car they want right away and have that total freedom.

Not everyone is interested in racing online, not everyone can compete with the best, not everyone is interested in competing with the best. Ultimately games are meant to be fun, and if your idea of fun isn't doing 100 time trial laps on the same track to get the perfect lap then that isn't a problem. Look at Wreakfest, that's an immense game and people are loving it, is that because it's an open sandbox? No. Is it because it's all about being the best driver and getting perfect laps? No. It's just about having fun.

My opinion is that because we already have a number of games that cater for the open sandbox approach, it would be a massive shame (and mistake IMO) for FM8 to go that same route when it's traditionally been a game about the journey and rewards. The obvious solution to me is to have a rental system like in previous games or a free play mode that has all of the cars unlocked within it, then a seperate career mode for those who enjoy progression.

I don't want to start a new game with an s2 awd Laferrari. I want to start slow learn the handling model,tracks,tuning,upgrades etc.. I don't remember starting Halo with a Boss fight!

I'm getting older and don't have the time to sit around on a games system grinding away for everything.

Lemme just pick it up and sling cars I like around tracks I like for like a half hour and I'm good.

I think a lot of developers need to get their head around the idea that there's a limit on how much people ought to play a game, and not to design games with the intention of compelling gamers to spend unhealthy amounts of time or to establish potentially disruptive routines (i.e. like bonuses for playing every day) just to access all of the original content of that game.

By all means, there can and should be a format of the game that has a progression element, but there could also be far more done to address casual players and/or players who, for whatever reason, either cannot or are not willing to commit ridiculous amounts of time just to be able to experience a certain piece of content e.g. a car or a certain track in a racing game franchise such as GT and Forza.

I would like to see an 'Arcade Mode' where all original content in the game can be accessed if the player decides that's what they want. If not, they can play the 'Progression Mode' i.e. to 'own' and/or modify cars etc. and play the game that way, if they can and want to devote the necessary time to do so.

But it is a great shame when even a massive and long-term fan of a particular gaming franchise can no longer even hope to access some content (that is already in the game) without making a commitment to the game that no longer fits their lifestyle (which may be radically different to what it was when they first started playing that franchise).

Ultimately, it should be a choice that gamers can take or leave if they see fit, but it's something of a travesty that so much great content is effectively put beyond the reach of many players. Developers would do well to encourage responsible attitudes to screen time and gaming, but the idea of having to play a game for weeks if not months on end just to obtain something 'special' jars with that concept.

Of course, some games are addressing this issue by allowing players to pay to unlock items immediately, which I think it pretty low. But therein lies the problem - while there are people willing (and able) to pay just unlock content they've already paid for once, then why would developers pass up that opportunity to make more money? A simple answer to that is that, well, it's unfair. By all means make it premium content and sell it separately, but selling quicker access to content that is already there is an odious concept that responsible developers really ought to move away from IMO.

Last edited:
I am really torn between the two thoughts in this subject. In one case, I think starting with a low level car and having to work your way up by either the career mode, or earning credits racing, to get better cars is what is needed to keep discipline in the game. But there is also a part of me that wants to just get the car I want, build it, tune it, and run against the best.

I did about 80% of the career mode in 6 when I started, but I have done 0% in career mode in 7.

I don't mind having cars locked, or tied to a "Forzathon" type accomplishment. It's a good reword for the people what want to put the effort into getting the prize. I don't think people should be just given something for doing nothing. I actually looked forward to the Forzathon's back before they unlocked everything in 7.

One last thing, for the love of God, please add some Indy Cars to 8 so the guy can quit posting in every thread whining about Indy Cars. :lol: :odd::banghead:

I don't know, this is a tough one for me. I feel for career progress or single player progression, there should be a reward system in place to obtain cars, but I also want all cars to be available to use.

I hate the fact that I will never be able to drive all the super expensive cars in GT Sport, because I just do not have the time to grind away and acquire all the money I need to purchase these vehicles. I wish GT would have a mode where you can drive them only in their stock form and thats it.

Same with the next Forza title, I almost want a hybrid system in place, all cars are available to drive, however only the ones you purchase are able to be tuned or modded.

Because sometimes I just wanna grab a car and do a few laps with it, and if there are restrictions in place preventing that, it's a turn off and I just won't play.

Same with the next Forza title, I almost want a hybrid system in place, all cars are available to drive, however only the ones you purchase are able to be tuned or modded.

That's actually a very fair system, and one I think would probably work best.

I think because many complained about the rigid homologation system in 7, they're looking at going back to being able to use a single car in many races but build upon the upgrade options available to the player too.

Last edited:
I think a lot of developers need to get their head around the idea that there's a limit on how much people ought to play a game, and not to design games with the intention of compelling gamers to spend unhealthy amounts of time or to establish potentially disruptive routines (i.e. like bonuses for playing every day) just to access all of the original content of that game.

By all means, there can and should be a format of the game that has a progression element, but there could also be far more done to address casual players and/or players who, for whatever reason, either cannot or are not willing to commit ridiculous amounts of time just to be able to experience a certain piece of content e.g. a car or a certain track in a racing game franchise such as GT and Forza.

I would like to see an 'Arcade Mode' where all original content in the game can be accessed if the player decides that's what they want. If not, they can play the 'Progression Mode' i.e. to 'own' and/or modify cars etc. and play the game that way, if they can and want to devote the necessary time to do so.

But it is a great shame when even a massive and long-term fan of a particular gaming franchise can no longer even hope to access some content (that is already in the game) without making a commitment to the game that no longer fits their lifestyle (which may be radically different to what it was when they first started playing that franchise).

Ultimately, it should be a choice that gamers can take or leave if they see fit, but it's something of a travesty that so much great content is effectively put beyond the reach of many players. Developers would do well to encourage responsible attitudes to screen time and gaming, but the idea of having to play a game for weeks if not months on end just to obtain something 'special' jars with that concept.

Of course, some games are addressing this issue by allowing players to pay to unlock items immediately, which I think it pretty low. But therein lies the problem - while there are people willing (and able) to pay just unlock content they've already paid for once, then why would developers pass up that opportunity to make more money? A simple answer to that is that, well, it's unfair. By all means make it premium content and sell it separately, but selling quicker access to content that is already there is an odious concept that responsible developers really ought to move away from IMO.
This was pretty much me when I found out about the modern MINI's in Horizon 4. Learned way after the fact they were part of a weekly thing and ended up spending a huge sum of in game money to get them from the auction house instead.

I know that this is quite off-topic, but what's that blue car in the article's preview image? I think it was also on the cover of either the first or second FM game. It looks a bit like a post-facelift NSX, but I know it's not that. Maybe a Noble?

I think because many complained about the rigid homologation system in 7, they're looking at going back to being able to use a single car in many races but build upon the upgrade options available to the player too.
I really hope they do. Imo, what made Forza special is being able to upgrade any car to any class without restrictions. It made building your cars very fun. I really really hope it reverts back to that.....and the old fantasy tracks make a big return. :)

Well I hope not. As much as I like the recent Forza games, the progression is weak because they give you everything from the start.

This is why I liked Forza Motorsport 7 and the car tiers system, you actually had to work somewhat to get better cars (without being as egregious as the Gran Turismo 5 system).

I really hope they do. Imo, what made Forza special is being able to upgrade any car to any class without restrictions. It made building your cars very fun. I really really hope it reverts back to that.....and the old fantasy tracks make a big return. :)

While I think they could really be onto something with this make each car your own approach, I wonder how it would effect the on-line races though, which they clearly want to improve. As some people's idea of fun is upgrading a slow car so much that it handles like crap, gonna need a rating system or a wacky races lobby!

Personally I would still want the historic/classic cars in the game, but do more with them, give them their own set of races, but really go to town with the presentation.

Last edited:
I don't mind having cars locked, or tied to a "Forzathon" type accomplishment. It's a good reword for the people what want to put the effort into getting the prize. I don't think people should be just given something for doing nothing.
The problem I have with it is that, for me, it's the "wrong" kind of effort. The effort you have to put in to unlock things via Forzathon is to keep running the game up to see what is available, then spend x minutes doing an activity that has close to zero skill barrier. The reward is provided almost entirely in return for just sacrificing a certain amount of your life on a regular basis, not for developing a skill. Linking rewards to improving skill isn't giving people something for nothing. I have no problem with games containing rewards for purely spending time doing very low skill activities, but I think it shouldn't be the only way to obtain those things, I think the same things should be permanently available by spending time playing the game in a way that challenges the player to improve their skills. Personally, I can happily spend hours trying to shave a tenth or two off my time for a bounty hunter monthly rivals, but I couldn't stand the FM7 career mode for more than a few races at a time as it was just so incredibly boring to me. If other people enjoy that stuff, I don't have a problem with a game catering for those people, but I hope they can offer me the same courtesy of accepting that I, and many others, don't enjoy that stuff and there's no reason for a game to force us to do that stuff when we really enjoy other aspects of it. There's no reason why a game can't simultaneously suit the preferences of both types of people.

Back