Could Gran Turismo Go Mobile? Sony to Adapt "Most Popular Franchises" for Mobile Platforms

I don't like the idea of this. The couple of games I have on my mobile are arcadey games. The size of the screen isn't important when if comes to playing them. Any game which would be better on a TV like GT would be rubbish on a mobile sized screen.

If it's anything like GT PSP I'm down, most mobile racing options aren't very... fun.

With the microtransaction crap Sony already shoves into the series and the original plan for GT:HD that Sony most certainly still remembers (and knows that nowadays they could actually get away with it compared to the backlash then), a GT game for phones would undoubtedly be one of the most exploitative P2W pieces of garbage in the history of the mobile space.

GT:HD was before I started following GT news but I recall around that time I was told a rumor about cars costing a couple bucks individually, almost like GT Sport PS Store buy option. Was this what you're talking about? I'm curious what they were trying to do back then.

GT:HD was before I started following GT news but I recall around that time I was told a rumor about cars costing a couple bucks individually, almost like GT Sport PS Store buy option. Was this what you're talking about? I'm curious what they were trying to do back then.

There was going to be two games. GT HD Premium would have contained the premium quality PS3 cars and tracks, all 30 and 1 of them respectively to start with. Further Premium quality content would've been paid DLC.

GT HD Classic would have included the upscaled 750 PS2 standard cars and 50 tracks BUT you were going to have to buy them all individually from the PS Store. No way to just earn them in the game like GTS, if you wanted that content, it would all have to be paid for. Even features like advanced AI and damage would be on what he called an "iTunes like service".

Makes commerical sense. If you have a name that has reach mass market, ie. deep in the public conscious over decades then why not capitalise that on EVERY platform?

Hell, dont even bother to get PD to do the groundwork... license the name to someone who knows how to make a mobile platform... maybe the guys who do Raid Shadow Legends...

Why not, as long as addional programmers working on this, I don't have a problem with this. Lets be honest, everyone who has at home a cockpit or at least a proper steering wheel, will never serious consider play this instead of the "real thing". This is just an enlargement of the franchise to gamer groups, who are not core-hardcore driver with cockpits etc. and just want a cool mobile game. Nothing wrong with this.

I think it'd be very cool if Sony made a mobile PS 1/2/3 device. To use as a mobile and retro console. And a way to connect it to a PS4 or 5 to play it with a full set-up.

Hell, dont even bother to get PD to do the groundwork... license the name to someone who knows how to make a mobile platform... maybe the guys who do Raid Shadow Legends...

Given Kaz's high position in Sony I highly doubt that would even be possible. Gran Turismo is his baby.

I don't know if it's already been hypothesized ITT, but I had some notes!

1. I think the best idea for a mobile spin-off of a given IP is to have it occupy its own niche rather than just be a portable version of the game. See: Pokemon GO vs. the mainline series.

2. Given this factor, I think some sort of connectivity with the "main" installment would be a great incentive to play the mobile version, too. Again, Pokemon GO is a good example, where you can transfer (most) specimens you've caught in GO to the Pokemon HOME app, and then move them from there to a compatible mainline game, such as Pokemon Sword and Shield.

3. With the above two factors combined, what if "Gran Turismo Mobile/Superleggera/etc." is actually a B-Spec app? I'm normally disdainful of B-Spec, but I think the mobile platform would be a very nice fit for the B-Spec mode, rather than inserting B-Spec into GT7 itself. Especially since B-Spec seems like a relatively passive mode, so you could check up on how your driver is doing every now and then without needing to constantly pay attention like you would for the "main" game.

Then there's the factor that PD did have job listings for mobile developers - and this was after the GT Sport companion app was released, too. Heck, even if the mobile version of GT is basically a B-Spec app, I might have to give it a swing.

But one thing I can say for sure is that I think it'd be stupid to have the mobile version of GT just be a scaled-down GT game. Occupying its own niche would be much more preferable, at least as far as gameplay mechanics go. I think whoever makes the mobile version of Gran Turismo - whether it's Polyphony Digital or some contractor - they should take broad notes from how Pokemon GO works with the mainline series, both in terms of their niches and how they literally work with each other with their connectivity.

This mobile version of GT could even have multiple features. Not just B-Spec, but maybe a livery editor you can use in the app, or an enhanced way of accessing the social media component. I always thought the GT Sport companion app was merely the beginning of something greater, something more robust...

Last edited:
Mobile adds nothing to the game other than revenue.

I’m ok with it if there’s no cross play.

With cross play I’d run for the hills, but I think Kaz would never allow that. He’d rather quit the franchise and so would I in the cross play case

Back