Course Maker/Track Path Editor: A "badly-executed good idea"?

Would you agree?

• !! YES, TO HELL WITH IT !!

• Not really. I can manage.

• No, it's great!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can't create in game, alter elevation, play offline or save more than 30 tracks are the biggest issues, also the path editor is fiddly junk, I want to be able to create tracks in game using my big screen TV with a pad or usb mouse.

If I had a choice I'd have the GT5 Course Maker back with the old and missing themes. This path editor and how it works is very disappointing.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in the course maker, but I'm excited about future possibilities for apps that allow us to create custom content for games!

Only on a Tablet, only on IOS or Android! This TrackEditor is very good, the app runs without problems. But I cannot understand why the track editor isn't in the game. It seems, there where no really important limitations on the ps3 - only perhaps the background image on the flat eifel environment or gps-data. Perhaps one last update for GT6?

Why not use an Android emulator on a Windows PC, and install the App?
Could be a way for users who dont own a tablet

Tried Bluestacks but was crazy slow on my PC, it used alot of cpu, to the point my PC crashed and hat to be restarted and my PC is top end acer

Rubbish editor. GT5 editor is actually a better tool. The only real gripe with the GT5 editor is you start with their seeded random track.

This new editor tool is basically a junk iPhone app. Bringing with it all the limitations of such an app and no positives.

Not being able to manage the individual sector width, banking, radius as in the previous generation tool is a step backward. Not to mention the online requirement to use.

Spent a couple hours tinkering with the tool, and all in all its not a very good implementation of what could have been a game changer and redeemed PD for not yet having a PS4 product.

They can not have spent 18 months on this, this looks like a 30 or 45 day rushed amateur app. If it took 18 months to produce this garbage then they need a new coding team.

I just don't see why they didn't at least make it PC accessible through the internet. Set up a server for storing/accessing tracks and then allow people to download them onto a USB storage device and load them onto their PS3's. The framework is already there in the form of your GT6 profile pages, how hard would it have been?

(I'm no expert on computers so please explain if its somehow harder than I'm making it seem)

Ok so I borrowed a tablet, it works, but I'm really not impressed.
Nothing that couldn't have been make it work properly with analogue sticks instead of touch screen.
They used tablet just because of the sake of being alternative.

Ok so I borrowed a tablet, it works, but I'm really not impressed.
Nothing that couldn't have been make it work properly with analogue sticks instead of touch screen.
They used tablet just because of the sake of being alternative.

I think you are correct.

When GT6 was announced my (and many others') most anticipated feature was the track editor. The idea of the GPS track creator is (was?) brilliant. You drive your public streets and make a track from the results then drive a supercar at high speed around your neighborhood. Or go to the local track day and do laps on a track that isn't in the game then go home and share it with people all over the world. Amazing concepts which just aren't possible. I expected their to be limitations, maybe smoothing of tight corners, the obvious lack of realistic scenery, the bumpiness of the real world track....but no elevation change? Come on! I live in a very hilly part of the world so the tracks I had designed in my mind are out. Flat versions of real world legends like Imola, Interlagos, Brno, Istanbul Park, etc. can't even remotely be close to the same with this editor which to me says "what the eff is the point of this? Why even include it?"

The actual editor itself looks like a pretty solid step up from GT5's editor which I found to be pretty useless. I don't play GT6 like I used to and have yet to download the ap (on my wife's tablet since I don't have one of my own) or even update the game for that matter. I will eventually download it and probably will get my hands dirty drawing out a few courses but the lack of elevation change on imported tracks is ridiculous. If anyone here has played SimCity 4 (circa 2003) and used the terrain editor feature or imported topographical maps of real world surroundings into the game then look to that for an example of how to do it. Even if it's only a semi-accurate representation it's better than completely flat. The fact that this is a stand alone ap on an external system should have given them enough power to do it. Even if it takes 10, 15 or even 60 mins of rendering to pull in a topographical map or a couple hours of fiddling to get the terrain just right...so what! that's the point of this is to create accurate representations.

*sigh*

Thanks again PD, for making us wait forever for something lackluster; hyping it up and not telling us anything about what may be holding it back; giving us false hope...

hopefully we get a new improved version of this for GT7

I just don't see why they didn't at least make it PC accessible through the internet. Set up a server for storing/accessing tracks and then allow people to download them onto a USB storage device and load them onto their PS3's. The framework is already there in the form of your GT6 profile pages, how hard would it have been?

(I'm no expert on computers so please explain if its somehow harder than I'm making it seem)

Google "bluestacks" (android emulator for PC), do an install, then look on forums for .APK version of GT6 path editor .

All probs solved and you'll edit tracks on your PC in 10 minutes .

Or simply install .apk file on your smartphone.It works with almost any model.

RECALCITRANT YET ENJOYABLE. HUGE POTENTIAL TO FULFIL ON PS4

I am glad to finally have the Course Maker. I refuse to refer to it as the Track Path Editor as it sounds stupid.

The implementation of the tools is disappointing in that you should have a tablet otherwise you need to jump through hoops to use it on PC. There really is no reason I can think of as to why it is not, at the least, a web based app.

Creating tracks is relatively straightforward but of course quite limited. The environmental asset placement is frustrating in that there is no depth to what you place as it is all right by the track.
However, this is obviously a technical limitation of the outdated PS3 tech and having GT6 run at FPS.

While I am enjoying messing about with Course Maker the most exciting thing about this new tool is what the fully-fledged version will be like on PS4 with GT7.
PD have undoubtedly created this with PS4 in mind and have scaled it back to work on PS3.

The fantasy for the next generation Course Maker is that it will be like ModNation Racers which was a wonderful tool-set.

Whoa now, that's asking too much. It's either the technology of tablets today are not up to par yet to make such a feature possible, or it would take a lot more time and effort coding the feature. "Easier said than done" is a mere understatement to describe that.

Most GPS apps already do exactly that...

I refuse to refer to it as the Track Path Editor as it sounds stupid.
As I see it, there's two functions: Track Path Editor, which makes the track; and Track Path Importer, which adds it to the game.

These two things have the words "Track Path" in common, thus the whole thing ought to be referred to as "TP". This ties in neatly with:

you can edit tracks while on the crapper :)
(no idea what a cratpper is though)

What are your thoughts about the Course Maker/Track Path Editor?

Well it is what it is.An updated GT5 track editor with option to import real life gps data through gpx/ kml files.

Since .apk version works on just about any smartphone and PC, I got got no problem with compatibility issues.Regarding track builder, you can make some decent (but not 100% accurate) track replicas and that's enough for me.But I do understand some emotions spilled on forums in past two days, because some members were obviously expecting more...More...MORE...

That's said, before being "totally" disappointed, I'd at least reconsider simple question of which other game comes with any kind of "official" track editor ? Even ++++++ one?

Maybe aC? iR? pC? FM? FH? Grid? RRE ? Dirt? DirtR ? ...

Last edited:
Whoa now, that's asking too much. It's either the technology of tablets today are not up to par yet to make such a feature possible, or it would take a lot more time and effort coding the feature. "Easier said than done" is a mere understatement to describe that. Being able to embed an image over the Eifel Flat template is already good enough for now. I really do hope PD develops the feature much further in preparation for GT7.

That's tech my free Nike running app can accomplish. :P

I did not read through the entire thread. I think the Course Maker is a great first step. That means that I hope there will be further development on it for GT6 but the overwhelming consensus on this site seems to be there will not be and any further work will be for GT7. There are only three things that I feel need to be done to make the app acceptable:
1. Elevation changes
2. Shorter start straight
3. Longer track length (at least 20KM but 30KM would be better)

If there is any updates then I hope those things are what they work on.

These two things have the words "Track Path" in common, thus the whole thing ought to be referred to as "TP". This ties in neatly with:
(no idea what a cratpper is though)

It is someone who drives in CRAP organised races whether in pCARS, GT5 or GT6.

I am a CRAPper and so are my associates :)

Is it possible to adjust elevation for non imported tracks?

Can't create in game, alter elevation, play offline or save more than 30 tracks are the biggest issues, also the path editor is fiddly junk, I want to be able to create tracks in game using my big screen TV with a pad or usb mouse.

If I had a choice I'd have the GT5 Course Maker back with the old and missing themes. This path editor and how it works is very disappointing.

Not tried it yet but is their anyway to "Miracast" to a largescreen tv or monitor using Chromecast/Roku etc?

This is what I think is bad about the course maker:

1) fixed 600 meter straight.
2) fixed width, come on, this feature was on GT5!
You can adjust the width...

My take: I love it. I think the 'touch' feature as used on a tablet or phone works better than if they had tried to implement a similar format on the console. I also like that I can create a track, transfer it to the game in seconds, test drive it, and as I am test driving I can make corrections in the app on the fly, then transfer again and reupload to the game in no time flat. 👍

My only gripes are that you can't put items around the track in all places, and that it's hard to create tight tracks with the provided boundaries. (although there is a small workaround but it makes the runoff areas smaller) Oh, and no elevation editing.

Google "bluestacks" (android emulator for PC), do an install, then look on forums for .APK version of GT6 path editor .

All probs solved and you'll edit tracks on your PC in 10 minutes .

Or simply install .apk file on your smartphone.It works with almost any model.
Thank you very much, I'll give it a try 👍

Well it is what it is.An updated GT5 track editor with option to import real life gps data through gpx/ kml files.

Since .apk version works on just about any smartphone and PC, I got got no problem with compatibility issues.Regarding track builder, you can make some decent (but not 100% accurate) track replicas and that's enough for me.But I do understand some emotions spilled on forums in past two days, because some members were obviously expecting more...More...MORE...

That's said, before being "totally" disappointed, I'd at least reconsider simple question of which other game comes with any kind of "official" track editor ? Even ++++++ one?

Maybe aC? iR? pC? FM? FH? Grid? RRE ? Dirt? DirtR ? ...

Forget all rival games and stick to V-Rally 2, then. :rolleyes:

Just had a fiddle and it works great on my tablet, very smooth and yes "Miracast" is not a problem.

I think the idea to have the app on tablet is better than the console personally.
To be fair it ain't that bad for a freebie, sure is limited (no elevation) but if it is a sign for the future it has potential.

Xperia Z4 casting to 40" Phillips

WPNF6zo.jpg

Never mind making tracks on the loo I could do it in the bath if I wanted!!!

Last edited:
- the fixed straight length of 600m is a why? Question for the Eifel Flat reference image tracks. But you can free draw with shorter straights on some of the other areas, Death Valley, Eifel, Andulucia. The copyright reason is not valid as these will never be close enough to real. If you have a dimensioned drawing with radii and straight lengths you don't need the reference image. That way you can draw on terrain with elevation changes.
- corner radius is too restrictive, can't seem to get less than 39m. Radius without "error 02". So street tracks are out. But how come regular GT6 tracks can have perpendicular and acute corners?
- should be able to scale the reference image after setting the straight, adjusting the scale at 1000m grid is difficult. Once you zoom to 200m. grid cannot change.
-

It's a real nice feature. I imagine PD was very limited in what they could do with the course creator because of the hardware limitations of the PS3. They did the best they could with a game that is almost 2 years old now. Really hope this feature transfers over to GT7 and has more features.

It's better than nothing but it's not what was promised and it's not acceptable.

What was promised that didn't make it into the final track creator that we got? As far as I can remember we got everything PD talked about.

Latest Posts

Back