COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
She probably lives in the WORST possible city to hold her beliefs (she's about as right wing as can be and definitely has a Libertarian streak in her) so my guess is eventually she will come up with the appropriate religious exception or will succumb and get the vaccine.
Let's hope it's the latter. My young Sikh ex-neighbour just phoned my mum to tell her she won't be getting the vaccine because her guru has advised against it. I'm glad we moved a couple of miles away. Anti-rheumatoid arthritis medication is pretty hard on the old lady's immune system.

Last edited:
I just found out last night that my uncle and his partner have been trying to urge the rest of the family not to get the jab, now thankfully the rest have (as far as I know). The worst is he’s been telling my dad who’s in Kidney and renal cancer remission not to get it.

However last week, they have both contracted COVID 19 and are really ill with it. Now I don’t wish any serious harm on them from a family perspective but I can’t help but feel a certain amount of smugness.

255D75DC-8604-4847-B5CD-8821AD7B55B6.jpeg

I just found out last night that my uncle and his partner have been trying to urge the rest of the family not to get the jab, now thankfully the rest have (as far as I know). The worst is he’s been telling my dad who’s in Kidney and renal cancer remission not to get it.

However last week, they have both contracted COVID 19 and are really ill with it. Now I don’t wish any serious harm on them from a family perspective but I can’t help but feel a certain amount of smugness.

View attachment 1075745
I hope they recover but maybe this'll make it harder for him to convince anyone else to avoid the jab.

Also hope your dad gets vaxxed and that his condition improves.

Last edited:
I hope they recover but maybe this'll make it hard to convince anyone else to avoid the jab. Hope your dad gets vaxxed and that his condition improves.
Thanks, my pops is fine, took two ops and 4 years of constant care but to see him now you wouldn’t know. 1 kidney down though so he has to look after himself a little more. Both my parents are fully Vaxxed and my pops airs on the side of caution with stuff like this but keeps banging on about ivemectin due watching a YouTube Dr from the UK who seems to advocate its use.

As for my uncle and his partner I’m not sure how they will fair. Both are pretty unhealthy in all aspects of their lives, so I suspect if they don’t end up hospitalised they may have some lasting long COVID symptoms. As you say, it’s going to be hard now for anyone to take their anti-vaxx stance serious.

Thanks, my pops is fine, took two ops and 4 years of constant care but to see him now you wouldn’t know. 1 kidney down though so he has to look after himself a little more. Both my parents are fully Vaxxed and my pops airs on the side of caution with stuff like this but keeps banging on about ivemectin due watching a YouTube Dr from the UK who seems to advocate its use.

As for my uncle and his partner I’m not sure how they will fair. Both are pretty unhealthy in all aspects of their lives, so I suspect if they don’t end up hospitalised they may have some lasting long COVID symptoms. As you say, it’s going to be hard now for anyone to take their anti-vaxx stance serious.
Until your father gets the vaccine, I hope he doesn't talk to your uncle about health safety. (I assume this is his actual brother?)

Last edited:
Until your father gets the vaccine, I hope he doesn't talk to your uncle about health safety. (I assume this is his actual brother?)
He’s fully Vaxxed. Both my parents are.

Yeh it’s his brother. 9 of them and typical Yorkshire folk.

Abbott has put out another message saying he is testing negative now b/c of the vaccine and encouraging others to get it. Lot of skepticism on how he recovered so fast, but the man did take a booster & that MAB treatment. Also, I personally don't know if maybe the Delta variant's time frame just comes and goes that much quicker compared to previous strain (few days to show up, hangs around a couple weeks, then leaves), esp. with a vaccine.

Either way, it's a refreshing change of pace from Abbott.

Abbott has put out another message saying he is testing negative now b/c of the vaccine and encouraging others to get it. Lot of skepticism on how he recovered so fast, but the man did take a booster & that MAB treatment. Also, I personally don't know if maybe the Delta variant's time frame just comes and goes that much quicker compared to previous strain (few days to show up, hangs around a couple weeks, then leaves), esp. with a vaccine.

Either way, it's a refreshing change of pace from Abbott.
Give him 3 or 4 days back with his anti-science government friends and he might recant.

Give him 3 or 4 days back with his racist anti-science government friends and he might recant.
You're right, they are anti-science, but they're more racist than that. The blame has shifted from brown people to black people.
In a Fox News interview now being widely shared, he claimed that Democrats like to blame Republicans for the spread of COVID-19, but the biggest group of unvaccinated people in most states is Black Americans.

"Well Laura (Ingraham), the COVID is spreading, particularly, most of the numbers are with the unvaccinated," Patrick said. "And Democrats like to blame Republicans on that. Well, the biggest group in most states are African Americans who have not been vaccinated."

He went on to say that the last time he checked, "over 90% of them vote for Democrats in their major cities and major counties."

I had a hard time trying to grasp the sense of this statement based on population figures. The black population is only 12-13% iirc.

Last edited:
You're right, they are anti-science, but they're more racist than that. The blame has shifted from brown people to black people.

I had a hard time trying to grasp the sense of this statement based on population figures. The black population is only 12-13% iirc.
I mean... ignore the fact all of the leaders (who are red) have been telling everyone to not get the shot.... let's blame anyone but our constituents and potentially cause racial violence from anti-vaxxers! What could go wrong?

I heard people from a "freedom rally" on a march around midday today in my city.
...We aren't in lockdown, and we just had some restrictions gradually eased recently. :confused:

Seriously, what planet do these people live on?

In better news, I managed to snag a booking for my first Pfizer dose last week, scheduled for the 2nd of September. I could rebook and get an earlier appointment if I'm quick enough on the trigger (a mate of mine wrote a script today to do this, his booking is in the next 3 days now :lol:), but I'm not in a rush as my state seems reasonably safe so far.

...Unless there was somebody Covid-positive at the protest today. :rolleyes:
It must have been a very very small rally, because I live near the city and I did not here anything about it on the news or on Facebook.

It must have been a very very small rally, because I live near the city and I did not here anything about it on the news or on Facebook.
It sounded quite large to me unfortunately (for Adelaide standards, at least), I live in the CBD and saw a bunch of marching down a main street.

It sounded quite large to me unfortunately (for Adelaide standards, at least), I live in the CBD and saw a bunch of marching down a main street.
If it was a large one it would have been on tv news mate, but all I new was a rally in Melbourne and Sydney and nothing here.

If it was a large one it would have been on tv news mate, but all I new was a rally in Melbourne and Sydney and nothing here.
Apparently about 300... which is kinda big for here :sly:. Nowhere near as big as the anti-vax one earlier this year though. Sorry I can't link the article, it's paywalled (Adelaide Now) but I think because ours here was peaceful it didn't make the TV news like in other states, just the papers.

Extract from the 'Freedom Rally' story:

About 300 protesters met at Park 13 on East Terrace at noon, holding a short speech condemning the wearing of masks in schools, vaccinations and the media.

Edit:

09aa1a2e12715db8e93c3a6f5c8d77ce.jpg

111.png

Last edited:
Apparently about 300... which is kinda big for here :sly:. Nowhere near as big as the anti-vax one earlier this year though. Sorry I can't link the article, it's paywalled (Adelaide Now) but I think because ours was peaceful it didn't make the TV news like in other states, just the papers.

Extract from the 'Freedom Rally' story:

About 300 protesters met at Park 13 on East Terrace at noon, holding a short speech condemning the wearing of masks in schools, vaccinations and the media.
Thanks for letting me know mate.

US FDA has fully approved the Pfizer vaccine for full use.
Still under EUA for a 3rd dose for those that have weaker systems.
US is the first to approve a vaccine for use and clears way to mandate more for schools and businesses.

I'm still conflicted if I should go for a 3rd dose now or wait another 2 months.
I think the more you can wait, the better. I suspect winter things will get worse again, so maybe October-November is the right time to get through winter with highest immunity.

I think the more you can wait, the better. I suspect winter things will get worse again, so maybe October-November is the right time to get through winter with highest immunity.
My 8 months come due the 17th of October and I really hope that the next dose I get will be the final one.
(It likely WON'T be but I can hope.)

Back