COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Ivermectin for Anti-vaxxers...

Evolution Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I can't comprehend the logic of these idiots. The one thing that can help is evil, dangerous and doesn't work. But what a bunch of special people claim to work is eaten like cake.

They should find something that helps them out of their misery quickly. That will help with the amount of people needing a bed in the hospital.

TB
So ivermectin is for horses
It's actually pretty multipurpose for mammals, so weirdly humans can take it, but the therapeutic doses for a 200lb human are very different than for a 2,000lb horse.

That does also mean that, out of sheer irony, you can also get it for... you guessed it...

1630065303096.png

It's actually pretty multipurpose for mammals, so weirdly humans can take it, but the therapeutic doses for a 200lb human are very different than for a 2,000lb horse.

That does also mean that, out of sheer irony, you can also get it for... you guessed it...

So many warnings on that for these people.

"Treatment and Control of Worms and Bots of Sheep!"
"For Animal Use Only!"
and most importantly....
"Keep Out of Reach of Children!"

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

6,835 new cases in Scotland today :ill:

That's the equivalent of over 400,000 new cases in the USA... the US's highest daily total thus far has been 304,790...

-

Scotland is now well on track to hitting the 10,000 cases a day level - pretty much what the UK government said might happen (100,000 cases a day in England, which has roughly 10x population of Scotland) when restrictions were lifted. Cases went into decline after a sharp rise that coincided with the Euro 2020 tournament, but now Scotland is seeing the same sharp increase in case numbers, but this time with no restrictions on social interaction in place.

Hospitalisations are also starting to increase, and I figure that we'll be back at over 100 COVID hospital admissions per day in approx. 2 weeks from now. Meanwhile, if cases still keep rising at this rate, we could be back to full lockdown levels of hospital admissions by the end of next month... and with Universities across the country gearing up to welcome back tens of thousands of people who live and study together in close proximity, it isn't looking too great at the moment...

Ah so the sheeple are bots... :lol: knew it!

On a more serious note, wifey is getting her second shot on the 30th. I'm still waiting for an email about my 2nd shot.

Hope all y'all are doing well.

Ah so the sheeple are bots... :lol: knew it!

On a more serious note, wifey is getting her second shot on the 30th. I'm still waiting for an email about my 2nd shot.

Hope all y'all are doing well.

How did you do after the first one?

How did you do after the first one?
Pretty good, no fever or anything. Arm didn't hurt as much as people make it out, either that or I'm use to getting whacked by random objects at work and being sore all the time. Don't get me wrong, I felt it for about a day and a half but it really wasn't that bad. Nurse even joked I took it better than guys with more tats than me and the irony of them being afraid of a needle.
Wifey has a full back tat and said her arm felt like it was gonna fall off from pain. Go figure.

Wifey has a full back tat and said her arm felt like it was gonna fall off from pain. Go figure.
If she had the vaccine needle only stuck in as deep as the Tattoo needles go, it probably wouldn't have hurt. If she had a tat, and the needles on the gun went in to the muscle as the jab does, she'd probably have a new perspective on pain.

6,835 new cases in Scotland today :ill:

That's the equivalent of over 400,000 new cases in the USA... the US's highest daily total thus far has been 304,790...

-

Scotland is now well on track to hitting the 10,000 cases a day level - pretty much what the UK government said might happen (100,000 cases a day in England, which has roughly 10x population of Scotland) when restrictions were lifted. Cases went into decline after a sharp rise that coincided with the Euro 2020 tournament, but now Scotland is seeing the same sharp increase in case numbers, but this time with no restrictions on social interaction in place.

Hospitalisations are also starting to increase, and I figure that we'll be back at over 100 COVID hospital admissions per day in approx. 2 weeks from now. Meanwhile, if cases still keep rising at this rate, we could be back to full lockdown levels of hospital admissions by the end of next month... and with Universities across the country gearing up to welcome back tens of thousands of people who live and study together in close proximity, it isn't looking too great at the moment...
Small consolation: still rookie numbers compared to Florida! But seriously, what is going on? Why is Scotland suddenly on such a different trajectory to most of England? It's tempting to think some of it is due to school term starting, but I doubt that's the major factor (just look at N.I. - even more cases, but school's still out).

The ONS survey perhaps paints a slightly less depressing (or at least, less well confirmed) picture for Scotland (even though it's >1 week out-of-date). It tends to miss sharp peaks (e.g. England's Alpha and Delta peaks), but otherwise matches reported cases pretty well (including almost perfectly tracking England's Oct/Nov 'lump').

OTOH, the ONS data confirms the pretty depressing situation in Northern Ireland, and the uncomfortable plateau in England.

Overlay of cases by specimen date on top of the ONS data, scaling probably not quite right but hopefully good enough to see what I mean...

1630087461306.png

The puzzle isn't so much explaining any one of the nations, rather why they are so different!

Last edited:
Yesterday I started wearing my mask again in grocery stores, etc. I can't trust these rednecks around here anymore to do the right thing. Alabama is still dead last in fully vaccinated rate at 37%. Although one of my co workers came up to me yesterday and told me he got the Moderna shot on his lunch hour. He's right at 30 years old and very conservative so it surprised me he has at least one shot.

Yesterday I started wearing my mask again in grocery stores, etc. I can't trust these rednecks around here anymore to do the right thing. Alabama is still dead last in fully vaccinated rate at 37%. Although one of my co workers came up to me yesterday and told me he got the Moderna shot on his lunch hour. He's right at 30 years old and very conservative so it surprised me he has at least one shot.
A glimmer of hope.

-

Scotland has one of the highest vaccination rates of any country in the world - 80% fully vaccinated (adults) and a staggering 91% partially vaccinated, and yet we have 6,800 cases today in a population of just 5 million... in other words, these vaccines better work, or we are 🤬 ed. So far, though, they look to be doing their job and allowing life to return to normal while keeping hospitalisations under control, but there's no guarantee how long or how well this might hold, esp. in the face of potentially overwhelming numbers of infections.

A senior academic friend of mine was in a meeting with the Scottish government today about how universities are supposed to handle the current wave of infections and they basically said that university staff are going to get COVID at some point. This is basically what is going to happen everywhere and the consequences, esp. for non vaccinated populations, are going to be awful.

Last edited:
A glimmer of hope.

-

Scotland has one of the highest vaccination rates of any country in the world - 80% fully vaccinated (adults) and a staggering 91% partially vaccinated, and yet we have 6,800 cases today in a population of just 5 million... in other words, these vaccines better work, or we are 🤬 ed. So far, though, they look to be doing their job and allowing life to return to normal while keeping hospitalisations under control, but there's no guarantee how long or how well this might hold, esp. in the face of potentially overwhelming numbers of infections.

A senior academic friend of mine was in a meeting with the Scottish government today about how universities are supposed to handle the current wave of infections and they basically said that university staff are going to get COVID at some point. This is basically what is going to happen everywhere and the consequences, esp. for non vaccinated populations, are going to be awful.
The RIVM published a report today that after vaccinations the chance of being hospitalised is 20 times smaller, and going to the IC is 33 times smaller. Pfizer protects for 95% against hospitalisation and 97% IC. Moderna slightly lower, the other haven't been published as they haven't been used that much.

The RIVM published a report today that after vaccinations the chance of being hospitalised is 20 times smaller, and going to the IC is 33 times smaller. Pfizer protects for 95% against hospitalisation and 97% IC. Moderna slightly lower, the other haven't been published as they haven't been used that much.
That seems to match what others are reporting, give or take a little. I don't know quite why the Bahrain one came in with worse figures... maybe sample size / bias since they were looking only at PCR-positive Delta cases. At any rate, still very good except for Sinopharm, and useful to have different methodologies used (if that's the reason).

Last edited:
A Florida Circuit Court judge has overturned Gov. Ron DeSantis’ mask mandate ban for Florida schools, ruling the governor overstepped his authority by issuing an executive order banning the mandates.

Leon County Circuit Judge John C. Cooper on Friday agreed with a group of parents who claimed in a lawsuit that Gov. Ron DeSantis’ ban on the mandates is unconstitutional and cannot be enforced.

Cooper said DeSantis’ order “is without legal authority.”

The governor’s order gave parents the sole right to decide if their child wears a mask at school. Cooper’s decision came after a three-day virtual hearing and as at least 10 Florida school boards, including Miami-Dade and Broward counties, voted to defy DeSantis and impose mask requirements with no parental opt-out.

Cooper said that while the governor and others have argued that a new Florida law gives parents the ultimate authority to oversee health issues for their children, it also exempts government actions that are needed to protect public health and are reasonable and limited in scope. He said a school district’s decision to require student masking to prevent the spread of the virus falls within that exemption.

The judge also noted that two Florida Supreme Court decisions from 1914 and 1939 found that individual rights are limited by their impact on the rights of others. For example, he said, adults have the right to drink alcohol but not to drive drunk. There is a right to free speech, but not to harass or threaten others or yell “fire” in a crowded theater, he said.

“We don’t have that right because exercising the right in that way is harmful or potentially harmful to other people,” Cooper said. He added that the law “is full of examples of rights that are limited (when) the good of others … would be adversely affected by those rights.”

DeSantis has dismissed the masking recommendation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as not applicable to Florida, but Cooper cited numerous Florida laws and statutes covering health care in nursing homes, prisons and elsewhere that say state decision-makers should give great weight to CDC guidelines.

Counties with such mask requirements now represent about half of Florida’s 2.8 million students.

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, who is running to be the Democratic gubernatorial candidate, applauded the decision.

“Today, Florida’s judicial branch affirmed what we have known to be true: Governor DeSantis’ ban on masks in schools is not only a dangerous government overreach that puts children’s lives at risk, but it also violates Florida law. This ruling is a win for common sense, for children’s safety, and for all the families and school officials who have been fighting to protect their loved ones, students, and staff,” said her statement. “Governor, it’s past time to walk away from this ridiculous, politically motivated fight and focus instead on working together to protect the people of Florida by encouraging scientifically-proven vaccines and mask guidelines. I’m proud to continue to stand with the brave local officials and families who have been fighting for what the court today affirmed is right.”

The governor said he will appeal.
It's satisfying to see reason win over, however temporary and in whatever scope the victory.

It's satisfying to see reason win over, however temporary and in whatever scope the victory.
Thank 🤬in' God. Hopefully schools start implementing changes soon, because things are getting pretty hairy. I heard on NPR this morning that Tampa has had to start using chlorine instead of liquid oxygen to treat it's drinking water, as pretty much all remaining liquid oxygen is being sent to hospitals and ICUs.

Back