COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Is nobody here thinking: "I'm not going to go for a booster shot because there are a lot of people in poorer countries who need a first shot much more than I need a third shot"?

Is nobody here thinking: "I'm not going to go for a booster shot because there are a lot of people in poorer countries who need a first shot much more than I need a third shot"?
No. The distribution method doesn't work like that, and there's no way for someone to declare "Dear Mr. Government, please send my shot to Venezuela instead because I don't want it now for some reason, thanks."

Not on an individual level, but in terms of the global supply & government policy, yes it probably does.
Well, if we could take all of the shots promised to states whom have leaders who want the virus to succeed, then maybe. Problem is we are then also willingly endangering people who may have become disillusioned with their idiot leaders.

I'm given the chance to further protect myself from almost half the country, and over half of my state, that has decided to not get vaccinated, despite the evidence showing it's benefits.

Assuming they allocate half of their annual vaccine production to the Covid vaccine, that's 275,000 doses each day that are, admittedly theoretically, produced by Pfizer. That's without borrowing from the 23 BILLION doses of medications they produce each year.

With a shelf life of one month, it's more of a use it or lose it scenario. At that point, I don't see it as taking a vaccination shot away from poorer countries. It's more akin to taking it away from people in my own but if they haven't had their shot(s) by now, they're probably not planning on it at all.

TB
I'm given the chance to further protect myself from almost half the country, and over half of my state, that has decided to not get vaccinated, despite the evidence showing it's benefits.

Assuming they allocate half of their annual vaccine production to the Covid vaccine, that's 275,000 doses each day that are, admittedly theoretically, produced by Pfizer. That's without borrowing from the 23 BILLION doses of medications they produce each year.

With a shelf life of one month, it's more of a use it or lose it scenario. At that point, I don't see it as taking a vaccination shot away from poorer countries. It's more akin to taking it away from people in my own but if they haven't had their shot(s) by now, they're probably not planning on it at all.
That's not the way I read the situation:

In my particular circumstances, I'm 63, so getting close to a higher risk age group, but healthy & with no known co-morbidity issues. I live in a area with one of the highest take-ups of the vaccine in the world & my "lifestyle" involves very little contact with other people in an indoor setting.

From that article:
Biden on Wednesday pledged to buy 500 million more COVID-19 vaccine doses to donate to other countries, which will put total U.S. donations to more than 1.1 billion doses as it comes under increasing pressure to share its supply with the rest of the world.
No country is going to short itself of a vaccine when it is barely at 50% vaccinated itself. Again, if the shelf life is one month, that doesn't leave a lot of time for it to be used before it has to be thrown. Between those options, I'm more likely to be "taking it away" from someone in West Virginia (the least vaccinated US state at 41.0%), who probably isn't planning on getting it any time soon, more so than taking it from someone in the DRC.
In my particular circumstances, I'm 63, so getting close to a higher risk age group, but healthy & with no known co-morbidity issues. I live in a area with one of the highest take-ups of the vaccine in the world & my "lifestyle" involves very little contact with other people in an indoor setting.
North Dakota's vaccination is at 45.9%. I work at a university with, give or take, 16,000 people on campus. My wife works at a hospital. One of my kids has a genetic lung condition. Some parents want the local school district to drop the mask mandate. I'm doing whatever I can to protect me and mine. If that involves a third shot, I'm getting in line.

We would be getting more vaccines to developing countries if our politicians weren’t so protectionist on vaccines (and trade issues in general). That and TB’s points about how the vaccine’s shelf life makes it difficult to ship vaccines around the world. The supply chain issues right now definitely don’t help with that cause.

TB
From that article:

No country is going to short itself of a vaccine when it is barely at 50% vaccinated itself. Again, if the shelf life is one month, that doesn't leave a lot of time for it to be used before it has to be thrown. Between those options, I'm more likely to be "taking it away" from someone in West Virginia (the least vaccinated US state at 41.0%), who probably isn't planning on getting it any time soon, more so than taking it from someone in the DRC.

North Dakota's vaccination is at 45.9%. I work at a university with, give or take, 16,000 people on campus. My wife works at a hospital. One of my kids has a genetic lung condition. Some parents want the local school district to drop the mask mandate. I'm doing whatever I can to protect me and mine. If that involves a third shot, I'm getting in line.
It's not about your personal story. You may very well be someone who should be in line for a third shot. However, your narrative actually reinforces the fact that the US is sitting on vaccines (with a limited shelf-life), that it's not using to best effect because of Covidiocy, while hundreds of millions of people around the world have no immediate prospect of getting a first shot. That's why developing nations are pleading for the wealthy nations to "stop hoarding".

"To beat the pandemic here, we need to beat it everywhere," Joe Biden

Last edited:
It's not about your personal story. You may very well be someone who should be in line for a third shot. However, your narrative actually reinforces the fact that the US is sitting on vaccines (with a limited shelf-life), that it's not using to best effect because of Covidiocy, while hundreds of millions of people around the world have no immediate prospect of getting a first shot. That's why developing nations are pleading for the wealthy nations to "stop hoarding".

"To beat the pandemic here, we need to beat it everywhere," Joe Biden
Since the initial goal is now impossible to reach, I wonder when the leaders of developed nations will just say "you had your chance, now it will go to other countries who haven't had one yet"? I cannot imagine that it will be too far away (maybe mid-2022?). The issue with that is the shortsightedness of politics. The first moment that the vaccine is no longer available, the politicians who were stating "no vaccine mandate" will immediately cry that the government does not care for its people and use that rallying cry to push for a new administration. In America, with such bipartisanship, that will only end up with corrupt politicians who are more than eager to say one thing and then do the exact opposite.

Unfortunately, the US is even having distribution problems regarding the vaccine. We don't have truck drivers to deliver the stuff to where it needs to go. Getting it to a developing nation would pose a similar issue since the entire global supply chain is in shambles at the moment. It's not like you can just put the stuff on an airplane and fly it to a developing nation. You need to actually get it to the shipping center, package it correctly, get the proper paperwork in order, and then once it's in the country, it needs to be delivered, all on a tight timeline. Developing countries don't have that sort of transportation network setup to do that efficiently, so while we could send doses, I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Regardless of that, the third dose is completely necessary and everyone should get it within the timetable that was outlined. Many of us are coming up on a year since we had our first dose so it makes sense for a booster shot, especially when you factor in things like variants. The COVID vaccine will likely become just like the flu vaccine over the next few years where you will need to get one annually.

I'm getting my third shot this week since it's been nearly 11 months since my first dose. While there are certainly reasons to forgo the third dose, they're all going to be medical. Forgoing it in hopes that it somehow gets to another country is pretty wishful thinking. What will more than likely happen is if you don't get it, it'll just become medical waste.

Soooooo. I lost count of the number of times I read that the NYPD was going refuse vaccine mandates in the thousands, maybe even 10K.

The actual final number?

Thirty ****ing Four

:lol:

Soooooo. I lost count of the number of times I read that the NYPD was going refuse vaccine mandates in the thousands, maybe even 10K.

The actual final number?

Thirty ****ing Four

:lol:

I'd like to see the venn diagram between those 34 and excellent policework.

I'd like to see the venn diagram between those 34 and excellent policework.
1635894057846.png

Last edited:

UK first to approve oral antiviral molnupiravir to treat Covid​

Pill can be taken twice daily at home and priority will be given to elderly patients and those with health vulnerabilities

Last edited:
So for 7 days now I've been having fever, cough, extremely runny nose, extremely sore throat, headache, face pain and pain in my joints, excessive weakness (cant walk ten stairs without breathing like a lung cancer patient) and so far none of the symptoms have even decreased a tiny bit. I did 4 Covid tests already, all turned out negative.
There is some very weird bug going round here, I've had the real flu twice in my life and every time it was just a lot of fever for 2-3 days and that was it. I had a couple colds in my life but none were close in potency to what I'm having now. Even Epstein Barr wasn't this bad.

I wonder if its a local mutation of some sort that the test won't detect and that is mostly immune to the vaccine, I live in Austria, exactly in the part of my country where its really bad right now, 8000+ reported cases every day (1.4 million people in this state), many towns and cities here are under lockdown.
This sucks.

Last edited:
So for 7 days now I've been having fever, cough, extremely runny nose, extremely sore throat, headache, face pain and pain in my joints, excessive weakness (cant walk ten stairs without breathing like a lung cancer patient) and so far none of the symptoms have even decreased a tiny bit.
Sounds like a covid. It is best to go to a doctor to see you for pneumonia.🙂

Back