COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Fortunately, we have LFTs/RATs available easily here... order online from the NHS and get them delivered to your door 24-48 hours later (if not sooner), and all for free. And there is even stalls in the street where you can just pick them up - I got 2 packs of seven from the train station on Monday. (It angers me, though, that the UK government are toying with the idea of scrapping free testing altogether, as if their fat cat contracts are not already enriching them and their cronies anyway...)

That said, I'm very uncomfortable about the way things are headed with long COVID and infections among the young - HUGE numbers of young people are getting infected now and hospitalisations among children and babies are rising... although proportionally they are still far lower than other age groups, the idea that we know much (or indeed anything at all) about the long term implications of childhood SARS-CoV-2 infections is a complete fantasy, and yet it is something that so many so-called experts and loudmouth nutjobs all over the world seem to know SO much more about than the entire scientific community... and, alas, many governments including the UK seem delighted to take the chance that infections amongst children are effectively meaningless - even though the evidence is growing that this is far from the truth.

-

On a separate note, my friend has still not returned from her Xmas holidays as her boyfriend's brother is critically ill with COVID right now. I don't know how old he is, but he must be mid to late 20's/early 30's, but has been in ICU for several days. So much for "mild".
But it's just a cold, duh!

Corona is now everywhere here. Both sons of a friend last week, my neighbour and her daughter this week, the other neighbours now, my brother's son tested positive yesterday, my sister had to go for testing today,.

It's spreading like wildfire here as well, amongst kids (under 10 or so) and then into their families at home. I know dozens of cases like this around me and it was how it got to me as well.

It's simply uncontrollable!

Had we not been vaccinated as much as we are right now and Omicron would have been a huge disaster.

It looks like BA.2 is well under way in Europe. The US seems to be at the start of BA.2 spread. So I'm assuming we'll be seeing another wave or spike soon, though that may be somewhat dented by people who were vaccinated, or already had the first omicron variant.

Question:

If a friend contracted Covid and recovered, how soon would it be perfectly safe (unmasked) to go and visit him?

Last edited:
Question:

If a friend contracted Covid and recovered, how soon would it be perfectly safe (unmasked) to go and visit him?
The standard advice is 10 days isolation and to produce two consecutive negative lateral flow tests.

You could always ask you friend to take a test or let you know how recently they have tested negative, although that could be awkward... but it is the best way to assess whether someone is likely to be currently infectious.

Having a reasonable expectation the recovered person would no longer be infectious.
@Touring Mars has covered what I would look at before visiting someone who had Covid, but it is important to remember that those are still reasonable precautions, and not perfectly safe.

Where I work, the three in our department that tested positive right before Christmas were each allowed to come back to work immediately after they tested negative. No waiting period at all.

Where I work, the three in our department that tested positive right before Christmas were each allowed to come back to work immediately after they tested negative. No waiting period at all.
Sounds like a decision based on staffing and money rather than sound medical practices.

My best friend and his fiancé both had (and recovered from) Covid two weeks ago. Next weekend they’re getting married. It’s just a small affair in front of a judge, but I still plan on being fully masked. Good news is I am getting my booster on Tuesday so I’ll have that working for me, too.

If I remember correctly, you have a pretty young one. Under 5?
He's 3 and reasonably healthy. We thought he had asthma for a time, but now that he's older the pulmonologist determined he didn't. Really the only "comorbidity" he has is allergies.

We've done our best to keep him safe too. While he has to go to daycare since my wife and I both need to work, it's a small group and the provider requires kids 2+ to wear masks. Past that the only things we've done for the past two years have been outdoor activities. Since Omicron hit we even stopped doing that and he's either at daycare or home. It drives me nuts because I want to take him places, like the natural history museum since he loves dinosaurs, but so many people don't bother taking anything seriously I don't want to put him at risk. I'm guessing he picked it up from a kid at daycare.

I don't know why there isn't a vaccine for kids under 5 yet. While I don't know if a vaccine would've prevented this, I'm sure it would've made him not as sick. But as it stands right now, we're on day 3 of a 104-degree fever that won't break. Thankfully, I have an O2 sat device so I've been monitoring that, which while low, isn't alarming at this point. I really hope I can treat this at home because the children's hospital is way over capacity right now. I was going to take him to the ED last night, but when I checked they were at a 6-hour wait.

He's 3 and reasonably healthy. We thought he had asthma for a time, but now that he's older the pulmonologist determined he didn't. Really the only "comorbidity" he has is allergies.

We've done our best to keep him safe too. While he has to go to daycare since my wife and I both need to work, it's a small group and the provider requires kids 2+ to wear masks. Past that the only things we've done for the past two years have been outdoor activities. Since Omicron hit we even stopped doing that and he's either at daycare or home. It drives me nuts because I want to take him places, like the natural history museum since he loves dinosaurs, but so many people don't bother taking anything seriously I don't want to put him at risk. I'm guessing he picked it up from a kid at daycare.

I don't know why there isn't a vaccine for kids under 5 yet. While I don't know if a vaccine would've prevented this, I'm sure it would've made him not as sick. But as it stands right now, we're on day 3 of a 104-degree fever that won't break. Thankfully, I have an O2 sat device so I've been monitoring that, which while low, isn't alarming at this point. I really hope I can treat this at home because the children's hospital is way over capacity right now. I was going to take him to the ED last night, but when I checked they were at a 6-hour wait.
I dunno why there's no vaccine either, but Pfizer said their 2-dose regimen wasn't working for kids that young. It's pretty much the big fear of parents of really little ones. My friends have kids that young as well, and they all recently had covid. Actually she was full term pregnant at the time and delivered while covid positive.

Hang in there man.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your little boy, @Joey D. I hope the fever breaks soon and that you're able to treat him at home.

In the news recently...

Last edited:
My son has COVID. Anyone that says it's mild when it comes to kids needs to get bent.
It your kid, it's as scary are hell, regardless of what anyone says.

Take care and for what it's worth you and your family have my best wishes.

We're over 100k cases per day now. 🦾 Hospital numbers are now rising too. IC numbers are down again though.

All I can think when I see stories like this is
What a dumbass.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your little boy, @Joey D. I hope the fever breaks soon and that you're able to treat him at home.

In the news recently...
I saw that headline went by and I was trying to figure out what he thinks he's free of. Free from... medicine? Transplant lists take into account just about everything from diet and smoking habits, to apparently vaccination. There's nothing about it that entitles you to a transplant. You don't have some kind of god-given right to someone else's liver.

So what is he free from? Free from life, free from assistance, free from medical care. That's about all I've got.

Basically going to be confined to a hospital bed the rest of his life, unable to actually go anywhere.

That's real freedom, brutha.

Last edited:
Back