COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
My friend has still not returned from her Xmas break, as her boyfriend's brother is still in ICU.

Apparently he had a transplant recently and one of his last (and only) posts on Facebook included him saying that he was "absolutely terrified" of catching COVID-19 :indiff: My friend is apparently helping to look after his three young children...

Last week I received my 5th email that my kids have a class with someone that tested positive. So far we're good, but it feels like it's closing in.

My kids' elementary is dropping masks starting monday. That feels a bit premature.
By about a year. I don't understand why places are so keen to drop masking. The benefit/inconvenience balance is so much better than every other behavioural public health measure we have seen.

By about a year. I don't understand why places are so keen to drop masking. The benefit/inconvenience balance is so much better than every other behavioural public health measure we have seen.
It's essentially based on this:

91-DIVOC-states-Colorado.png

As you can see, cases have dropped significantly from the omicron peak, and the kids have had a chance to get vaccinated. That being said, case loads are still at levels that would have been considered huge only about 2 months ago. I think they could have waited until case loads were actually at low levels before dropping the masks. It may not go how we hope after all.

Last edited:

For a bit until we get some new super variants lol

Sweden is following Denmark, Norway and Finland and will lift all Covid imposed restrictions on february 9th.

LCTFMzw.jpeg

He's 3 and reasonably healthy. We thought he had asthma for a time, but now that he's older the pulmonologist determined he didn't. Really the only "comorbidity" he has is allergies.

We've done our best to keep him safe too. While he has to go to daycare since my wife and I both need to work, it's a small group and the provider requires kids 2+ to wear masks. Past that the only things we've done for the past two years have been outdoor activities. Since Omicron hit we even stopped doing that and he's either at daycare or home. It drives me nuts because I want to take him places, like the natural history museum since he loves dinosaurs, but so many people don't bother taking anything seriously I don't want to put him at risk. I'm guessing he picked it up from a kid at daycare.

I don't know why there isn't a vaccine for kids under 5 yet. While I don't know if a vaccine would've prevented this, I'm sure it would've made him not as sick. But as it stands right now, we're on day 3 of a 104-degree fever that won't break. Thankfully, I have an O2 sat device so I've been monitoring that, which while low, isn't alarming at this point. I really hope I can treat this at home because the children's hospital is way over capacity right now. I was going to take him to the ED last night, but when I checked they were at a 6-hour wait.
How's he doing?

Sorry to hear about your little boy, @Joey D. I hope the fever breaks soon and that you're able to treat him at home.

In the news recently...
My wife wouldn't be here without a transplant.
He is voluntary foregoing a 2nd chance because of..... I don't understand what.
If he doesn't want a vaccine, then he definitely will not want all the immunosuppressive medication that comes with the 2nd chance. He will have a very compromised immune system afterward that any virus will relish.
In my own opinion the organ should go to someone who will appreciate the selflessness of another. After all, someone had to lose their life to help someone in need.

Rant over.

My wife wouldn't be here without a transplant.
He is voluntary foregoing a 2nd chance because of..... I don't understand what.
If he doesn't want a vaccine, then he definitely will not want all the immunosuppressive medication that comes with the 2nd chance. He will have a very compromised immune system afterward that any virus will relish.
In my own opinion the organ should go to someone who will appreciate the selflessness of another. After all, someone had to lose their life to help someone in need.

Rant over.
My elder sister died of a brain haemorrhage a few years back. Everything of hers that was still working went to help people in need.

For Carswell to allow medical staff to break their backs keeping him alive in order to get him ready for a potentially life saving op that he's decided to reject out of... I don't know, gut feeling?... while others are literally dying to give him another chance at life smacks of oxygen theft to me.

My elder sister died of a brain haemorrhage a few years back. Everything of hers that was still working went to help people in need.

For Carswell to allow medical staff to break their backs keeping him alive in order to get him ready for a potentially life saving op that he's decided to reject out of... I don't know, gut feeling?... while others are literally dying to give him another chance at life smacks of oxygen theft to me.
Sorry to hear about your sister. Without people like her, a lot more loved ones wouldn't be here.
My wife still has a good cry on her transplant anniversary, there is a card comes through the door inviting her to a remembrance ceremony but she just can't bring herself to go.
I hope this nugget has a chat with a doctor/virologist and changes his mind.

Incidentally, I read that story out to my wife and wished I hadnt. :grumpy:

Week One of my youngest son going back to school after the summer holidays and he felt a bit off tonight.

A RAT test confirms he is positive.
Sigh, it's probably only a matter of time before we all have it now, mostly concerned for Mrs Shaun with her MS as it's still a bit of an unknown.

How's he doing?
He's getting better, but ended up with an ear infection too. He got some antibiotics for that though, that awful pink stuff, and it's cleared it right up. He's still coughing really bad and it's causing him to throw up so he doesn't want to eat. He'll drink though so he's going through about a half-gallon of milk a day.

But now I have COVID which is splendid. I've had a fever of over 102 since Wednesday night and walking up the stairs knocks the wind out of me. Mind you I'm vaccinated and boosted. I firmly believe if I wasn't, I'd be in the hospital at the moment...or I guess waiting in the ER until a bed might become available. I feel like I got hit by a train and my throat is so sore from coughing I can't talk. Thankfully, my wife found me Vernors, which is the Michigan miracle cure, so I've been drinking that along with spicy tea combined with a bunch of honey and a dash of whiskey. Past that I haven't eaten anything since Thursday.

This all just makes me realize how unbelievably ignorant people are that think young, healthy people have nothing to worry about.

My wife is completely fine though. No symptoms and per one of those questionably reliable rapid tests isn't infected either. We've been wearing masks at home and she's been disinfecting anything that I might touch. She's wearing a mask at work too just as a precaution. She was boosted less than a month ago whereas I was boosted before Thanksgiving so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

He's getting better, but ended up with an ear infection too. He got some antibiotics for that though, that awful pink stuff, and it's cleared it right up. He's still coughing really bad and it's causing him to throw up so he doesn't want to eat. He'll drink though so he's going through about a half-gallon of milk a day.

But now I have COVID which is splendid. I've had a fever of over 102 since Wednesday night and walking up the stairs knocks the wind out of me. Mind you I'm vaccinated and boosted. I firmly believe if I wasn't, I'd be in the hospital at the moment...or I guess waiting in the ER until a bed might become available. I feel like I got hit by a train and my throat is so sore from coughing I can't talk. Thankfully, my wife found me Vernors, which is the Michigan miracle cure, so I've been drinking that along with spicy tea combined with a bunch of honey and a dash of whiskey. Past that I haven't eaten anything since Thursday.

This all just makes me realize how unbelievably ignorant people are that think young, healthy people have nothing to worry about.

My wife is completely fine though. No symptoms and per one of those questionably reliable rapid tests isn't infected either. We've been wearing masks at home and she's been disinfecting anything that I might touch. She's wearing a mask at work too just as a precaution. She was boosted less than a month ago whereas I was boosted before Thanksgiving so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Bounce back quickly, bro.

Week One of my youngest son going back to school after the summer holidays and he felt a bit off tonight.

A RAT test confirms he is positive.
Sigh, it's probably only a matter of time before we all have it now, mostly concerned for Mrs Shaun with her MS as it's still a bit of an unknown.
And now my eldest son has Covid.
My wife and I are still testing negative.

My wife and I are still testing negative.
Do you have any symptoms?

I'm asking because it took me three days with symptoms until I finally got a positive test. I knew I was positive, but (non-PCR) tests wouldn't show it.

On the other hand, my wife went through all of it always negative (and with no symptoms).

The mask mandate here in California is set to be lifted next week, but I probably won't notice considering no one at work seems to have been wearing one to begin with :indiff:

I'm as vaxxed as can be but I may have a potentially irrational fear of complications from contracting COVID

I'm as vaxxed as can be but I may have a potentially irrational fear of complications from contracting COVID
There's nothing irrational about protecting yourself from a disease that is still killing over 10,000 people on a daily basis. It's going to be a long time before I feel comfortable going out in public unmasked.

Even with the ridiculous infection rate, numbers keep dropping.

Less than 200 on the IC now. First time since the 26th of October.
1315 patients in normal care units.

I doubt it but it looks like that the economy is now starting to become more important than the amount of sick people.

In the US, the number of sick people* is dropping quickly.

*Sick with covid-19 that is, we still have other kinds of sickos.
Same here, as the amount of people that got the booster is about 25% lower than the first 2 shots.

Latest Posts

Back