COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
43% of parents surveyed by Kaiser Family Foundation said that they will definitely not get their young kids vaccinated and only 17% said they would get them vaccinated or already have.

I honestly have a difficult time trying to reason through this. We have data that shows the vaccine works, we have data that show long COVID causes all sorts of health problems, and we know kids are little bioterrorist that can infect entire classrooms and/or families. So why wouldn't you want to do something to prevent your kid from getting COVID? Or at the very least giving them some sort of protection so that their illness isn't as severe?

And the parents that say they don't want to/can't take time off work to get their kid vaccinated or to deal with the side effects are just making excuses. Where I work you can get your kid vaccinated as early as 7 am or as late as 8 pm 6 days a week. Kids also get upwards of 27 injections from birth to about 2 years old, so it's not like they don't get any shots at all. Finally, if your kid gets COVID you'll be forced to take time off anyway because they won't be able to go to daycare or school, plus you'll likely get it as well leaving you sidelined for a week or more. All things considered, finding an hour to get your kid vaccinated and maybe taking a day off of work to deal with minor side effects is probably less detrimental than having to take weeks off.

Although having dealt with daycare for the past three years I would assume the number of parents who are inconsiderate is alarmingly high. It wouldn't surprise me if parents just sent their kids to daycare/school with COVID because they simply don't care...in fact that's how my son got COVID in the first place and then passed it on to me.

43% of parents surveyed by Kaiser Family Foundation said that they will definitely not get their young kids vaccinated and only 17% said they would get them vaccinated or already have.

I honestly have a difficult time trying to reason through this. We have data that shows the vaccine works, we have data that show long COVID causes all sorts of health problems, and we know kids are little bioterrorist that can infect entire classrooms and/or families. So why wouldn't you want to do something to prevent your kid from getting COVID? Or at the very least giving them some sort of protection so that their illness isn't as severe?

And the parents that say they don't want to/can't take time off work to get their kid vaccinated or to deal with the side effects are just making excuses. Where I work you can get your kid vaccinated as early as 7 am or as late as 8 pm 6 days a week. Kids also get upwards of 27 injections from birth to about 2 years old, so it's not like they don't get any shots at all. Finally, if your kid gets COVID you'll be forced to take time off anyway because they won't be able to go to daycare or school, plus you'll likely get it as well leaving you sidelined for a week or more. All things considered, finding an hour to get your kid vaccinated and maybe taking a day off of work to deal with minor side effects is probably less detrimental than having to take weeks off.

Although having dealt with daycare for the past three years I would assume the number of parents who are inconsiderate is alarmingly high. It wouldn't surprise me if parents just sent their kids to daycare/school with COVID because they simply don't care...in fact that's how my son got COVID in the first place and then passed it on to me.
I think mostly it's just a matter of time. Given 10 years of success most of those parents would have no hesitation. The whole covid situation is still new, and parents of super little ones are reluctant to take perceived chances, even if the perception does not align with reality.

I was super early in line for every vaccine both for myself and my kids.

Last edited:
I think mostly it's just a matter of time. Given 10 years of success most of those parents would have no hesitation. The whole covid situation is still new, and parents of super little ones are reluctant to take perceived chances, even if the perception does not align with reality.

I was super early in line for every vaccine both for myself and my kids.
Then again, this same mindset that the parents initially have falls in line with refusing to get vaccines for MMR and Polio, so here we are.

My roommate is already testing negative for Covid. He's looking and sounding a lot better. I'll take one more test just to confirm I didn't get it from him.
Out of curiosity, are you financing those tests out of your own pocket? If so, how much? Or are they free if you feel a bit off so to speak?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are you financing those tests out of your own pocket? If so, how much? Or are they free if you feel a bit off so to speak?
The tests are free. There is a testing site right on my way to work. I can set an appointment, drive up, get tested and continue on to work without ever getting out of my car. They also gave me a free at home test kit. That's the advantage of living in a blue (Democratic) state.

DeSantis claimed that people who've gotten a booster are more likely to be infected with COVID. As you'd expect, he's spouting complete and utter BS.

In short, stop taking medical advice on anything from politicians.

===

Also, the US has purchased $1.74 billion worth of Moderna's Omicron-specific vaccine which amounts to around 66 million doses. This is on top of the $3.2 billion deal that secured 105 million doses of Pfizer.

After reading this article on BBC, I began wondering...

Would anyone actually sue the Chinese authority for all the damages caused by the virus? Or, more correctly, the initial mishandling of the outbreak and the information availability by the CCP? I kinda smell a class-action lawsuit waiting in the wings here. 🤔

More importantly, though, is any law firm (or a court, for that matter) brave enough to take on this case?

Last edited:
Omicron might be the variant that ends up sticking around for the foreseeable future, which might not be a bad thing. If the variant becomes stable, we can target the vaccines specifically for it and provide people with a high level of protection:

A bit of insight into the daily death total we are seeing for COVID right now in the US:

Here's probably one of the more important bits:
Coronavirus deaths are similar to the number of influenza deaths normally reported during peak season, said David Dowdy, epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. A bad flu season in the USA could see more than 50,000 deaths.

That doesn’t mean COVID-19 mortality has reached that of flu, he said, as peak flu season lasts only about three months. Spread over the course of the year, Dowdy said, there would be about four times as many COVID-19 deaths than flu deaths.

COVID-19 is “like having to live in flu season year round, and that’s not what we do with the flu,” he said. “If we had to do that with the flu, we’d be instituting more measures than what we do.”

Imagine thinking COVID is still "just the flu".

A bit of insight into the daily death total we are seeing for COVID right now in the US:

Here's probably one of the more important bits:

Imagine thinking COVID is still "just the flu".
Except the people who NEED to see this will read it just like that, that it's "just the flu".

My teenage niece in Singapore is in the intensive care unit. She caught the virus from her younger sister two days ago and experienced fever and stomach pains. The doctors have diagnosed type 1 diabetes and have her on an insulin drip which is severely affecting her potassium levels. They say it was triggered by the virus.

IMG-20220806-WA0016.jpg

Meanwhile my mum has been coughing badly all week. No other symptoms besides a sore throat. Her doctor has prescribed a course of antibiotics for her which I'll be picking up early next week.

Covid isn't finished with us yet. It's not just the flu and doesn't just affect the elderly.

Last edited:
My niece is out of the hospital. Teenage resilience counts for a lot. Her potassium and sugar have stabilised. Now we are waiting for her covid symptoms to subside and find out whether she needs to be on insulin for the rest of her life.

My mum hasn't touched the soup or banana she asked for. Still coughing but she's fallen asleep. Will try and do an ART test on her tomorrow if she'll let me.

Last edited:
Thankfully, I found the study that all these news articles are referencing, and I didn't have to pay for it* since it was through work. Looking at it I'm a bit confused just where the media is getting their information from because the study shows that the 35 people mentioned were infected from December 2018 through April 2021. So yes, while the findings were just published, if Langya henipavirus was going to be any threat at all, it would've already done so.

I don't blame people for being concerned though. The media is presenting this as something that's horribly skewed, and the study from the New England Journal of Medicine is locked behind a $169/year paywall so it's not like the average person is going to be able to access it. If I didn't work in healthcare, I likely wouldn't have been able to get it either.

*Never, ever pay for an academic journal. The researchers get nothing and the journal publisher makes bank without having to do any of the work. If push comes to shove and you need the study for something, simply e-mail one of the authors. More often than not, they're going to be over the moon to share the study with you and talk to you about it. I did this frequently when I was in college with various archaeology papers.

*Never, ever pay for an academic journal. The researchers get nothing and the journal publisher makes bank without having to do any of the work. If push comes to shove and you need the study for something, simply e-mail one of the authors. More often than not, they're going to be over the moon to share the study with you and talk to you about it. I did this frequently when I was in college with various archaeology papers.
It's off topic, but 100% this.

Welp, my lucky streak ended. Got sick Sunday night, thought maybe it was food poisoning since I couldn't keep anything down & had a mild fever. Condition was going up & down over the next couple days, although since yesterday, I was able to start keeping food down & just had a bad cough with the fever hanging around.

Went to the doctor today, & was promptly confirmed to have Covid. She told me this variant so far makes a bad cough the most noticeable symptom, but I had no idea the CDC had changed things up a bit. Apparently, I'm technically on Day 4 & need to isolate til' the 15th, and then wear a mask the following 5 days if symptoms improve. If not, I need to return to the clinic and possibly the ER if symptoms worsen as this variant, according to the Dr., can swing up and down.

Welp, my lucky streak ended. Got sick Sunday night, thought maybe it was food poisoning since I couldn't keep anything down & had a mild fever. Condition was going up & down over the next couple days, although since yesterday, I was able to start keeping food down & just had a bad cough with the fever hanging around.

Went to the doctor today, & was promptly confirmed to have Covid. She told me this variant so far makes a bad cough the most noticeable symptom, but I had no idea the CDC had changed things up a bit. Apparently, I'm technically on Day 4 & need to isolate til' the 15th, and then wear a mask the following 5 days if symptoms improve. If not, I need to return to the clinic and possibly the ER if symptoms worsen as this variant, according to the Dr., can swing up and down.
I just got done with my 3rd Covid bout a couple weeks ago. Although my cases were mild, the one thing I noticed about all 3 times was the symptoms seemed to seesaw. You and my wife might very well me the last of the Mohican’s to get it. Rest, liquids and the standard stuff will do wonders.

Feel better brother 👍🏼

TB
Coincidental timing but I received an email that campus is offering 1) antibody testing to determine immunity from vaccination, infection or both, 2) a PCR test and a 3) $10 gift card (doesn't say where to, though...) three days after I get back from Vegas.

Sign me up, Scotty!
I finally received my antibody test results back.

I tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 spike protein antibodies, which just means I was vaccinated but didn't necessarily have Covid.

I also tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 Nucleoprotein antibodies which means that at some point I did have Covid.

There were a few times in the last two years that I didn't feel great but the times that I felt the worst, I always went in and got tested and was always negative so whenever I did have it, thankfully it must have been a pretty mild case.

Would anyone actually sue the Chinese authority for all the damages caused by the virus? Or, more correctly, the initial mishandling of the outbreak and the information availability by the CCP? I kinda smell a class-action lawsuit waiting in the wings here. 🤔

More importantly, though, is any law firm (or a court, for that matter) brave enough to take on this case?
I think it would be difficult to find a court that (a) has the jurisdiction needed for such a lawsuit, and (b) that isn’t controlled by the Chinese authorities.

My mother finally got Covid-19 after multiple close calls. While I currently feel fine, nonetheless I am isolating as far from her as possible. Her case is mild though with a sore throat and general body aches.

My mum wouldn't wake up a couple of weeks ago so I called an ambulance and they took her to the emergency ward whereupon the medical staff diagnosed sepsis of the lungs. Nothing to do with Covid except that when she was moved from ICU to a general ward today somebody in a neighbouring section tested positive so they won't let anyone in to visit her. I guess the other patient contracted the virus from one of the visitors.

Last edited:
They've given the ward the all clear for visitors now. Thanks to everyone who expressed concern.

[EDIT] She needs plenty of rest but looks to be over the worst of it. They may have to close the ward to visitors again but she doesn't seem to be in any danger.

Last edited:

More importantly, though, is any law firm (or a court, for that matter) brave enough to take on this ca
I have no idea how far anyone would get in a Chinese court and any rulings outside of China are meaningless without China volunteering to agree to any judgements - and why would they do that?

Back