COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Kind of the first real look backed by solid data about how life changed (at least in the US) during COVID.

I've just been jabbed in both arms with this year's flu and covid vaccines. Gonna have to sleep on my back tonight. I wonder whether a combined vaccine is possible in the future.

October 26th is my scheduled booster vaccine.
Not looking forward to it because of the adverse side effects of it but I haven't heard of anything like that happening to others.

Not looking forward to it because of the adverse side effects of it but I haven't heard of anything like that happening to others.
They quizzed me at length to check I hadn't had adverse side effects from previous jabs. I hadn't. My 5G reception has improved immeasurably, however.

Just kidding.

I'm going to schedule mine for a Friday evening after work. That way I've got the weekend to deal with any side effects. If it's like it was last time it was only for 5 or 6 hours. Nothing to ruin my entire weekend.

My side effects were the mildest this time. Just the pain in the arm and mild fever and weakness the following morning. The first booster last year was the worst for me somehow.

Got boosted on Thursday and was down and out until yesterday morning. High fever, achy joints, one of the worst headaches I've ever had, and extremely tired. Still better than getting COVID though and I will continue to get as many boosters as they pump out.

At first, I thought saying the pandemic was over was the most asinine thing Biden said during the interview, especially since there are around 65,000 confirmed cases a day still occurring in the US. But then I read this bit:

"When I got in office, when I— I got elected, only 2 million people had been vaccinated. I got 220 million— my point is, it takes time. We were left in a very difficult situation. it's been a very difficult time. Very difficult."

My Brother in Christ, you didn't vaccinate anyone. The thousands of already exhausted medical professionals did. While Biden has handled the pandemic slightly better than Trump overall, that's a really low bar since Trump's solution was to consume cleaning products and take drugs that didn't work.

So in case you were wondering, no the pandemic isn't over, it's hopefully winding down and there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it still remains to be seen whether that's just a freight train coming our way or not.

So in case you were wondering, no the pandemic isn't over, it's hopefully winding down and there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it still remains to be seen whether that's just a freight train coming our way or not.
91-DIVOC-countries-UnitedStates.png

The pandemic started in 2020, when we had no access to vaccination, mortality rates were high, and population immunity was essentially zero. The virus was set to spread like wildfire if we did not take precautions, and it did spread impressively despite the precautions that were taken. Our pandemic response included shutting down cities, widespread regulations, and massive spending on equipment, personnel, and economic relief for the many businesses that got wrecked by the lack of foot traffic.

Today we have not just vaccines that work well, but very up-to-date boosters that are widely available. Our cities are back open, our businesses are back open, and we're not mobilizing our government to create restrictions and provide direct relief (although some relief for lingering issues is still a thing).

I think it's clear from Biden's speech that he's not under the impression the covid is a thing of the past. But we are pretty clearly outside of the "emergency" phase of this virus. Sure, it could come roaring back. We could get a new variant that spreads like wildfire through the population all over again, and I personally would consider it a new pandemic.

In fact, it might be worth considering the covid pandemic as two (first wave and omicron).

Last edited:
View attachment 1194015

The pandemic started in 2020, when we had no access to vaccination, mortality rates were high, and population immunity was essentially zero. The virus was set to spread like wildfire if we did not take precautions, and it did spread impressively despite the precautions that were taken. Our pandemic response included shutting down cities, widespread regulations, and massive spending on equipment, personnel, and economic relief for the many businesses that got wrecked by the lack of foot traffic.

Today we have not just vaccines that work well, but very up-to-date boosters that are widely available. Our cities are back open, our businesses are back open, and we're not mobilizing our government to create restrictions and provide direct relief (although some relief for lingering issues is still a thing).

I think it's clear from Biden's speech that he's not under the impression the covid is a thing of the past. But we are pretty clearly outside of the "emergency" phase of this virus. Sure, it could come roaring back. We could get a new variant that spreads like wildfire through the population all over again, and I personally would consider it a new pandemic.

In fact, it might be worth considering the covid pandemic as two (first wave and omicron).
Biden still chose his words poorly if that's indeed what he meant. Yes, the pandemic is better under control and we have more tools at our disposal to fight it, but we're still very much in a pandemic since the disease is affecting a large number of people across the globe. Not enough to be in an emergency situation, but pandemics don't require emergency situations to exist.

My issue with what Biden said, is that people will see "the pandemic is over" and that will be the end of it. Biden really should've echoed what the WHO said by saying the end is in sight and that we're getting close to the end since that is likely true at this moment. Although, we've heard we are getting close to the end more than once now and the end ended up being nowhere in sight.

I'm not sure what the take rate is on the updated booster shot yet, but purely going off one data point that is my place of employment, it doesn't seem very good. I'm sure there will be more data in a couple of weeks to see if that's the case everywhere though. Since the original vaccine and booster are likely not providing much, if any, protection against the Omicron variants it's like the country (and the world) are mostly unvaccinated at this point. I worry about what will happen this winter when people start heading indoors and spending more time with family. All it takes is one mutation and the cases explode again. Also, with more at-home testing and people just not bothering to test, we're getting fewer samples to map the evolution of the virus.

As for separating the pandemics, that's not a bad idea. While Omicron and pre-Omicron are from the same virus, their impacts were different.

Biden still chose his words poorly if that's indeed what he meant. Yes, the pandemic is better under control and we have more tools at our disposal to fight it, but we're still very much in a pandemic since the disease is affecting a large number of people across the globe. Not enough to be in an emergency situation, but pandemics don't require emergency situations to exist.
Ok, so we're going to argue about what pandemic means? Quick search says:
===================================

pandemic​

1 of 2

adjective

pan·dem·ic pan-ˈde-mik

: occurring over a wide geographic area (such as multiple countries or continents) and typically affecting a significant proportion of the population
: characterized by very widespread growth or extent : EPIDEMIC entry 1 sense 3

pandemic

2 of 2

noun

: an outbreak of a disease that occurs over a wide geographic area (such as multiple countries or continents) and typically affects a significant proportion of the population : a pandemic outbreak of a disease
: an outbreak or product of sudden rapid spread, growth, or development
========================================================

Adjective fits your interpretation, noun fits mine.

My issue with what Biden said, is that people will see "the pandemic is over" and that will be the end of it. Biden really should've echoed what the WHO said by saying the end is in sight and that we're getting close to the end since that is likely true at this moment. Although, we've heard we are getting close to the end more than once now and the end ended up being nowhere in sight.
I agree that some people will read only a limited amount. Oh well, everyone has a right to be stupid. He did echo what the WHO said, he just went further to call the pandemic "over". And I think that's fair, because I think the pandemic response is over (and has been for a bit).
I'm not sure what the take rate is on the updated booster shot yet, but purely going off one data point that is my place of employment, it doesn't seem very good.
From an emergency perspective, it matters that the booster is available, not quite so much whether the uptake on it is huge. A lot of people got omicron.

I'm sure there will be more data in a couple of weeks to see if that's the case everywhere though. Since the original vaccine and booster are likely not providing much, if any, protection against the Omicron variants it's like the country (and the world) are mostly unvaccinated at this point.
A lot of people got omicron.
All it takes is one mutation and the cases explode again. Also, with more at-home testing and people just not bothering to test, we're getting fewer samples to map the evolution of the virus.

As for separating the pandemics, that's not a bad idea. While Omicron and pre-Omicron are from the same virus, their impacts were different.
Yea, I think that might be a worthwhile way to look at it, and I think a new mutation that makes cases explode again would again fit the pandemic description. It might help focus people on responding to mutation instead of just saying "I've already gotten covid immunity". Sure, it helps, but the mutation could prove to be its own emergency health situation to cope with.

It's not all upside to claiming that the pandemic is not over. Being overly cautious and insisting the people continue to take precautions long after they have made their own decision to stop only serves to get them to stop listening. To be taken seriously for the next one, we should be publicly calling an end to the pandemic as it occurs. Then maybe when a dangerous mutation shows up ready to sweep through, we can get some eyebrows raised when we call it a new pandemic.

Last edited:
Got my booster yesterday. I was a little worried, since up till now I’ve been 100% Moderna but ended up getting Pfizer this time… but over 24 hours later and all I’ve got is a mildly sore arm, same as my previous booster shot. So that’s good.

Khosta-2
Currently in Bats.
Vaccines would prove ineffective against it.
If bitten could turn into Batman or Batwoman. 🤣
But in all seriousness.
We don't need a threat like this again and turn back into lockdowns and restrictions.

Given one suspected origin of the Covid pandemic, let's hope Khosta-infected chiropetera don't enter the human food chain.

No doubt Ozzy Osbourne has been put on high alert.

Last edited:
Well, after two and a half years the virus has reached the house of JB. Mum started getting a sore throat on Wednesday and then tested positive on Thursday morning. I then started getting a scratchy throat on Friday and then about 10 minutes before going to bed suddenly started getting really bad chills. I donned several layers and got to sleep after about an hour and then woke up in the middle of the night absolutely boiling. Spent most of yesterday with a high fever and a splitting headache, and pretty much unable to concentrate on anything, also slept for two hours in the afternoon, but did a test which came up negative. Also really struggled to eat anything cause no matter how much I drank my throat and mouth were bone dry. Felt better after eating properly in the evening and taking some paracetamol, and then had one of my best night's sleep in a long time. Woke up with razor blades in my throat which has since gone away and a massively reduced fever, and then did another test this afternoon which came up positive.

Mum has had little more than a sore throat and being a bit run down, so it appears to have hit me harder than her. There were concerns she may have passed it onto my 90-year-old grandmother, as she stayed with her on Sunday and Monday for the Queen's funeral, but she appears to be fine. She also went to the dentist on Tuesday, so I'm thinking she caught it there. I'm glad I tested positive as the other option was that I caught something else, most likely from when I got my haircut on Wednesday, and then had it waiting for me after this was done. :scared:

I got back from an intensive training course late Thursday night and felt a bit rough yesterday so took a COVID test, however it was negative. Feel worse today though, however I've tested negative again and I reckon it is quite unlikely to be COVID since I had it in early July.

That said, it's definitely something and the headache side of it is nastily reminiscent of my first few days of COVID. My throat is OK though, if slightly dry, but that was a hallmark of my bout of COVID - a very sore throat came on very quickly (within a couple of hours) and I tested positive the next morning.

It wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that it's my Dad's 80th birthday tomorrow and I'm meant to be joining my family for lunch. I am, however, not taking the negative test results as gospel, as I know that you can have COVID (and even be infectious) without testing positive, so I will see how I feel tomorrow morning before travelling.

Got a COVID 2nd booster and flu shot yesterday. Aside from a slight head cold and my shoulder bothering me I seem to be okay.

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread before but apparently Omicron BA4.6 is a variant of concern.

It also looks like our government is getting ready to scrap Covid isolation payments in the near future (and restrictions continue to be rolled back), so I'm fully expecting our case numbers to balloon as we approach summer.

No more mandatory isolation (soon) + non-existent mask-wearing + lots of sick people in public (anecdotally)... this is going to be a fun Summer.

I'm feeling a bit better today, but didn't bother testing again this morning in spite of still feeling a bit fluey... tests are £2 a pop for me now, so I'm going to test only when I have to i.e. when I visit my family next weekend.

Symptoms from the last few days were suspiciously similar - headache, scratchy throat, bunged up sinuses, light cough, sore mid-riff (caused by a coughing bout, making it painful to cough...), and a tell-tale, weird symptom I had quite a lot of during COVID - muscle spasms. Muscle spasms are very rare for me, but I had a couple of nights during COVID where muscles in my back and legs were spasming every 10 minutes or so. It's been nothing like that this weekend, but I noticed at least three spasms yesterday, which is the main reason why I suspected I had COVID again.

I don't know, but I guess it's possible that I have picked up another dose of COVID or a similar cold virus that has maybe been held at bay by the antibodies from my recent bout of COVID, and thus hasn't turned into full-blown COVID-19 this time around.

I'm feeling a bit better today, but didn't bother testing again this morning in spite of still feeling a bit fluey... tests are £2 a pop for me now, so I'm going to test only when I have to i.e. when I visit my family next weekend.

Symptoms from the last few days were suspiciously similar - headache, scratchy throat, bunged up sinuses, light cough, sore mid-riff (caused by a coughing bout, making it painful to cough...), and a tell-tale, weird symptom I had quite a lot of during COVID - muscle spasms. Muscle spasms are very rare for me, but I had a couple of nights during COVID where muscles in my back and legs were spasming every 10 minutes or so. It's been nothing like that this weekend, but I noticed at least three spasms yesterday, which is the main reason why I suspected I had COVID again.

I don't know, but I guess it's possible that I have picked up another dose of COVID or a similar cold virus that has maybe been held at bay by the antibodies from my recent bout of COVID, and thus hasn't turned into full-blown COVID-19 this time around.
Is it likely that tests cant correctly detect newer Covid strains?

Is it likely that tests cant correctly detect newer Covid strains?
Short answer is no, it's unlikely - the likelihood is that the variant I had in July is much more similar to the variants that are around today than the original virus for which the tests were designed, so I doubt it's a test issue (and I tested positive for 13 days the last time... :boggled:)

That said, I do still think it's likely a second bout of Covid, even though I'm not testing positive for some reason.

Last edited:
It finally got me. I woke up last Wednesday at 2:30am shivering and feeling like I'd been rugby tackled from behind. I'm pretty much over it now, apart from having a barking cough and still testing positive. :grumpy:

TB
I just received an email at work that they're offering a flu shot and Covid booster next Tuesday and Wednesday on campus so I'm signed up for 10am on Wednesday.
Be prepared to work from home the rest of next week. Hopefully you just get a sore shoulder.

Last edited:
Last time I had the separate shots, so I got both arms jabbed. The flu shot soreness went away quicker and the COVID booster lingered for a bit.

One of many tweets which came to my attention through engagement with accounts I follow despite not following the relevant account is this:

A few posts down there's a link to a report which showed an increase in "no smell" reviews on Amazon of Yankee Candle commensurate with a specific increase in COVID-19 cases...

Back