Crash's Cars

• Thread starter Crash
  • 151 comments
Welcome to my world. My door is nearly as wide as my car itself :lol:

Oh my god. We compared it to my car afterwards, and Camaro doors are almost half the length of the M5.

Ouch! Still, not that bad. If you worry about a small ding that just means your car is very clean cosmetically :lol:

Yeah... first world problems... :lol:

That now is the most visible cosmetic imperfection now. There are some light scratch swirls around the paint work, a touched up scratch on the top of the driver side fender, along with two other very minor door dings on the passenger side that are only visible under the right lighting conditions and at an angle, so yeah...

Until you get it fixed, why not just do something funny with it, like this:

LL

Looking good there. Door dings are almost impossible to avoid if you go anywhere other then your own garage. Just people hatin....

Keep up the upkeep. 👍

A) It's not his first car.
B) What?

You've got a total of 7 words in this post, and 4 of them are wrong.

His droved that car! :lol:
No, seriously though, if English is not his first language, you can't expect to be everything correct, can you? Cut him some slack! (Pretty sure I've made some mistakes in this sentence as well)

His droved that car! :lol:
No, seriously though, if English is not his first language, you can't expect to be everything correct, can you? Cut him some slack! (Pretty sure I've made some mistakes in this sentence as well)

He needs to be understandable, though.

Oh, come on! I've seen much worse, instead on of an "I've" he used "I'm" and instead of "driven" he wrote "drived", again I've seen much worse!

I haven't. I literally haven't read a post I flat out couldn't understand.

And the door dents got pulled out.

While the door ding my friend caused was getting pulled out, I went ahead and got the two other very minor ones pulled out as well. For the one that my friend caused, if you look at it from a couple of inches away, and you know what you're looking for, you can still kinda see the edge of it as that part creased slightly. But from a foot away, you can't see it at all. Oh well.

--

I neglected to say in my photoshoot, my color is really tough to capture well on camera. The hue shifts quite a bit under different lighting conditions, and to try to edit and post-process so that the original color in that condition is reflected was quite hard. It makes it a challenge to photograph, but just makes the color and car just that much more interesting. :)

Those train pics at Balmer's Yard? Where/how'd you get in? I just might steal your idea...

Greats pics 👍

Nice catch! The pictures were taken just south of Balmer Yard. Actually, I didn't know that place even had a name until you said something. :lol:

That was not actually on BNSF property, it was in the back of a few businesses right next to the tracks. @casey_2005 and I stumbled upon it a few months back, and that scene actually worked out really well for some of those, I guess, industrial shots.

There's this road in Central Washington along the Columbia River called Maryhill Loops Road. It has the distinction of being the first paved asphalt road in the state, and it looks like this:

View attachment 197396

The road is now a private road owned by Maryhill Museum of Art, and they rent the road out to various car clubs for events. I took the M5 down to this road last weekend for an event with the BMW car club, to what essentially is a ~2 mile long hill climb.

I've done nothing to the car at all and it still performed amazingly. I kept traction and stability control on as a hill climb with cliff drop offs were not exactly a place for me to explore the limits of my car. That's one of the good things about a lot of new cars that I don't have on mine; there are various modes for traction control, some of which will allow a bit of wheel slip. On the M5, as soon as it felt the wheel slip, it cuts power and apply brakes, and it was really intrusive too, coming on way earlier and for longer than I like. I wish it wasn't as intrusive and so I could power out of a turn.

The only times when I turned off traction and stability control were at the start when launching from the starting straight. I had a incredibly fun time doing burnouts with all the torque, and it was so easy and it just went on and on.

IMG_3866.JPG

Other than that, the car was incredibly fun and comfortable, even while doing a hill climb and despite 90 degree temperatures. I turned on Sport Mode for all the runs up, which is how the car really should be. It made the steering heavier to just the right amount of effort and the throttle response more responsive. For one of the runs, I had 3 passengers with me, and we all just laughed the entire way up. A few runs in, I found that I can do the entire hill except for two places in second gear. This kept the car in the powerband between 4k and 7k. I wouldn't want to push the engine for much longer than that though, as by the top of the hill, the oil temperature was getting fairly hot. Also, car was entirely too quiet for an event like this. I want a louder exhaust.

The only really negative thing about this is the weight of the car was very apparent. It has massive traction, but body lean was significant due to the weight and slightly soft shocks. Also, it feels like it takes a bit of time for the car to pivot when you throw it into the corner. Compared to the E60 M5 that was also there that I got a ride in, the E60's smart(er) suspension was able to cope better and made that car feel a little lighter and more agile on its feet.

I didn't have a video camera to bring with me to this, but I know a few fellow participants had their GoPros going. I'll post some videos if they get posted and I find them.

Last edited:
Good to see you're having good fun with the car. I think the opposite on the car's systems though. My father's M3 doesn't have the dynamic M mode but I can tell you that the normal DSC is way more intrusive than the one in the M5. I've also gone for a ride in an M6 with MDM (US spec) and it allowed very little slip (euro allows some more IIRC), probably the fastest way to drive unless you are very good. Like I said though, in my car the system only cuts in when I'm about to break loose while in the M3 you have to be an idiot with a death wish to crash having the DSC on :lol:
As you drive the M5 more with the system off you'll see that it has a pretty high limit with predictable oversteer on throttle (I've never had any oversteer off throttle) but you really can't get rid of the feeling of a drifting barge :P it is after all a near-4000 pound car. I don't remember what had been changed suspension wise on your car but I can tell you from my experience that changing shocks to koni yellows and replacing all control arms + sway bar components has made the rear extremely planted. Before going for coilovers make sure the suspension items are still fresh and the alignment is in spec. As for the sport mode, I seem to think opposite to most. I do like the throttle response, but even in spirited driving it's a little too jumpy and a little hard to modulate. I absolutely hate the harder steering :lol: had a bad experience with some oversteer with the sport mode on, steering wheel was too hard to countersteer enough and almost lost a bit of my bumper. Thankfully only the tire touched the curb.

What exhausts are you considering? The FMU is a really pretty piece with some nice deep sound, though personally I'm partial to the dinan. You could also just remove the mufflers, save a lot of cash and have a really nice sound with very little to no drone.

As you drive the M5 more with the system off you'll see that it has a pretty high limit with predictable oversteer on throttle (I've never had any oversteer off throttle) but you really can't get rid of the feeling of a drifting barge :P it is after all a near-4000 pound car.

Yup, experienced this a couple of days ago at a driver education class. One of the exercises was to drive around an oval, where you're supposed to go full throttle until you hit the braking zone, then full brakes, and turn using the racing line and accelerate out. I took stability control off, and the car was super easy to drive out of the corner on throttle, at least on dry tarmac. I can feel it about to go loose and either hold it there, or if I gave it a bit more gas, it'll start to slide and it was easy to catch and straighten the car out, despite the weight and the slight wobbliness of the suspension. Like you've said, I was surprised at how predictable controllable it was. :D

I don't remember what had been changed suspension wise on your car but I can tell you from my experience that changing shocks to koni yellows and replacing all control arms + sway bar components has made the rear extremely planted. Before going for coilovers make sure the suspension items are still fresh and the alignment is in spec.

I'm just on stock suspension for now and I'm not sure any suspension work is in the cars in the near future. I like it being a luxobarge, and I want it to ride comfortably. Eventually, I'll refresh all the suspension components, but changing something will result in a significant decrease in ride comfort, then I don't think I'm going to do it.

As for the sport mode, I seem to think opposite to most. I do like the throttle response, but even in spirited driving it's a little too jumpy and a little hard to modulate. I absolutely hate the harder steering :lol: had a bad experience with some oversteer with the sport mode on, steering wheel was too hard to countersteer enough and almost lost a bit of my bumper. Thankfully only the tire touched the curb.

Dang, yeah, I could see that impacting your confidence of sport mode. I can see it being a little jumpy when starting in stop and go or city driving, but otherwise, I find the lag in normal mode to be really annoying. Because of that lag, I can't quite heel and toe and rev match correctly on downshifts; I'm a lot better with sport mode engaged. Steering wise, yeah, it gets heavier, but I think I'm used to my E30 steering, which requires quite a bit more effort than normal M5 mode, so I do like the heft of sport mode.

What exhausts are you considering? The FMU is a really pretty piece with some nice deep sound, though personally I'm partial to the dinan. You could also just remove the mufflers, save a lot of cash and have a really nice sound with very little to no drone.

I'm waiting until I can hear a few different ones in person before making any decision. I know that there are plenty of videos online, but they are so hit and miss with quality. Currently though, without knowing more, I'm leaning towards just muffler delete, though Dinan sounds good as well. Ideally, I would do something like good cutouts on stock system so I can keep it quiet sometimes and then let it rip during other times.

--

Anyways, dirty car after wet skidpad at driver education class.

View attachment 202132

IMG_0678.JPG

View attachment 202133

Nice, I really want to enroll in one of those events and safely reach the limits of my car at higher speeds. It's a shame that hare, those are usually on a full on racetrack which concerns me a bit but with enough prep and control it should be fine.

I'm with you on the suspension, it would be a shame to lose the comfort of the car with some stiff coilovers, but some normal shocks and suspension refresh with maybe some stiffening of the swaybar make it handle better and give it a more supple ride, as it was from the factory.

The exhaust cutuouts seem like a great idea.

Question: Do you have spacers? What size and profile tire is in the rear of your car? I just ordered 275/35s for my rears and I'm wondering if 10mm spacers would fit well.

The E30 has been sad being parked for the past couple of weeks.

I was driving it downtown after having not driven it for a couple of days when I pressed the brake pedal in order to stop, annnndddd the pedal went all the way to the floor. Well ****, and if you know Seattle, you know how incredibly hilly and steep the city is.

I parked the car and looked at the brake fluid reservoir, which at this point is empty. Well **** again. How do I get it home that was a 20 minute drive away? After going about doing the things that I was going to do, I figured a route that requires the least amount of stops and that at 10pm, traffic should be light enough that if I time it just right, I should be able to rely on my engine braking and only need brakes to come to a complete stop once between where I was and home, despite the hills.

And so I set off.

Needless to say, I made it home ok. There were one or two sketchy times, and I ended up not needing to stop at where I thought I would have needed to (fortunately, that traffic light was green). So now, the E30 just sits as it awaits me figuring out what happened. The weird thing is that the clutch and brakes are run off of connected hydraulic systems and they both use the same fluid; I have no brakes, but my clutch works just fine.

I poked my head underneath the car the day after I lost the brakes, and saw some fluid leak trail. I still have no idea what caused the leak or where the leak is even from. I'm going to have it be towed to the shop and have them figure out what happened and fix it. This will the first time getting my car towed; I've always managed to drive the car to the shop, but this time, without brakes, it really is too dangerous to drive.

@Crash, does your ebrake not work well enough to limp it to the shop? Did you try filling the reservoir? Our old jeep never had brakes and I ran into the shop wall once with it. :lol:

Today I spotted a really nice 325ix parked near Capitol Hill, it was as far as I could tell identical to yours only with nicer paint. I'll try to get some pictures for you or perhaps show you sometime.

The E30 does have functional ebrake, but I don't want to risk it. The shop that I would take it to is probably a good 15 miles away. Too far to try limping it.

I think I know which iX you're talking about. I've seen one identical to mine on Cap Hill in year, exterior color and interior color, and that car does have a nicer exterior and paint, but I think I have a nicer interior. I kinda want to meet the person who owns that car, especially as my color combo is fairly rare.

--

The M5 has passed 90k miles (it's actually now at 90.5k miles), which means I've driven 7k miles in the past 5 months. At 90k miles, I essentially had an Inspection II done, replacing engine oil, differential fluid, transmission fluid, spark plugs, and a few other things, setting a known maintenance baseline. Gear shifts feel slightly notchier (especially in sport mode) but definitely goes into gear better and doesn't seem to have as much hesitation now.

View attachment 218821

Didn't @Roo offer to start a tire fund for me? I need new rear tires on the M5 soon, I might have done a few too many burnouts...

Sorry that this place has been lacking updates and pictures in the past few months. Once spring rolls around and the cars get a good wash, I'll like to get both cars out to get some pictures of them together.

For now, both cars are driving and running. No news (which is good news) for the M5. The E30 brakes have been fixed. It needed the hard lines and brake booster to be replaced; the hard lines had rusted through and was leaking. However, recently, it's developed a condition where it doesn't like to sit. If it doesn't get driven daily, it will run rough at cold start up. That's the next issue that I'll need to identify and tackle.

In the meantime, here are a couple of compilation pictures from the past couple of months:

Also, each of these folders contain all the receipts and history of each of my vehicles:

Back