Cricket: The Official Thread

• Thread starter Casio
  • 297 comments
All out for 60. Broad takes a scarcely believable 8 for 15.

I've seen a few embarrassing batting performances by England over the years, but never have I seen a side bat so poorly against us.

This one could be over in 2 days.

England have won the Ashes by an innings on day 3 of the fourth test:bowdown:
England won the fourth test by an innings to secure a series win & win the ashes. :)
That might seem fussy but fussiness in cricket is important.
So is beer. :cheers:

Ashes 2015: England v Australia, fifth Test
Venue:
The Kia Oval, London. Dates: August 20-24.

England have won the toss and elected to field.
That's twice in two test matches if I remember correctly?

No Jimmy Anderson again for England.

BBC
England
  • Adam Lyth
  • Alastair Cook(c)
  • Ian Bell
  • Joe Root
  • Jonny Bairstow
  • Ben Stokes
  • Jos Buttler(wk)
  • Moeen Ali
  • Stuart Broad
  • Mark Wood
  • Steven Finn
Australia
  • David Warner
  • Chris Rogers
  • Steven Smith
  • Michael Clarke(c)
  • Adam Voges
  • Mitchell Marsh
  • Peter Nevill(wk)
  • Mitchell Johnson
  • Peter Siddle
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Nathan Lyon
Start Time:
11:00
Toss:
England won the toss and decided to field
Venue:
The Kia Oval
Officials:
Aleem Dar, H D P K Dharmasena, J J Crowe, S Ravi
BBC
Stats of the match
  • Australia have won only one of their last 11 Tests at The Oval (D6 L4) - in August 2001.
  • England opener Adam Lyth is averaging just 12.28 in the series, with 86 runs from seven innings.
  • Joe Root (73.83) and Chris Rogers (62.42) are the only batsmen averaging more than 50 in the series.
  • Steve Smith is currently on the longest run of single-figure scores in his Test career (four); but if he scores 48 or more in the first innings he will become the joint fourth-quickest Australian to reach 3,000 Test runs.
  • Michael Clarke is looking to become only the fifth player to score a century in both his first and his last Test.
Why does it matter?
  • If England win, they will move above Australia to number two in the ICC world Test rankings. Lose or draw, and Australia will stay ahead, with England third.
  • England are looking to win four Tests in a home Ashes series for the first time.
  • Several players will be looking to impress ahead of the Test series against Pakistan, with opening batsman Adam Lyth and wicketkeeper Jos Buttler under particular pressure.
  • Joe Root will be looking to cement his position at the top of the world batting rankings, with Stuart Broad - the number-two ranked bowler - looking to close the gap on South Africa's Dale Steyn.
  • If England win, it will be their sixth Test victory of 2015. They haven't won six Tests in a year since 2011, when they were ranked number one in the world.
BBC
Weather forecast
It looks like decent weather for the first three days of the Test, with Thursday to Saturday set to be warm and cloudy with sunny intervals.

However, BBC Weather says there is a strong chance of rain on Sunday's fourth day.
BBC
Farewell to Clarke and Rogers
Clarke and Rogers have both confirmed that the fifth Test will be their final appearance in Test cricket.

Clarke has played 114 Tests, scoring 28 hundreds and averaging 49.30, and has captained Australia in 37 of those matches.
Michael Clarke needs to score 122 runs without being dismissed, 172 runs with one dismissal, or 222 runs with two dismissals at The Oval in order to finish his Test career with an average of 50
Rogers - Australia's top run-scorer in the current series - has played 24 Tests, all but one of those after being recalled at the age of 35 in 2013. He has scored five centuries and averages 42.86.

Last edited:
Australia win the 5th Test by an innings and 46 runs.
The consolation win maintains their position of 2nd in the world test rankings above England who are 3rd.

England win the ashes series 3-2

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to another series that is currently going on: New Zealand vs South Africa. It has currently been a back and forth series. In the T20 matches, SA won the first by 6 wickets, before NZ struck back, winning the second match by 32 runs.
It has been just as even in the ODI matches, with SA winning the first by 20 runs while New Zealand won the second by 8 wickets. The deciding match of the series is today/this morning/evening wherever in the world you are. I'm sure we can expect an equally close and exciting match this time.

Finally, just a side note: did anyone watch New Zealand chase down Zimbabwe's 235/9 in their ODI series? Possibly one of the most intelligent and well-batted chases I've ever watched. The Blackcaps finished 236/0 with almost 8 overs to spare

That is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard of. Some talented 15 year olds playing against inexperienced 13 year olds and deliberately running them into the dirt. Then the coach has the audacity to say he wanted the world to recognise him as a coach.
Some of those boys will probably never want to play cricket again but at least you satisfied your own selfish needs.

That is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard of. Some talented 15 year olds playing against inexperienced 13 year olds and deliberately running them into the dirt. Then the coach has the audacity to say he wanted the world to recognise him as a coach.
Some of those boys will probably never want to play cricket again but at least you satisfied your own selfish needs.
That is bad news. It wasn't mentioned in any of the 3 articles I read on the matter. :(

I guess you have to do some pretty extreme things to get noticed in a nation of 1 billion. Shame it comes at the expense of the 11 other kids who may never want to play cricket again.
And since they declared at 3 down, and bowled out the other team for next to nothing, there is a good chance that there are one or two players on his team that didn't bat or bowl in the match. Can't be much fun for them either.

These past few days have had everything I want from cricket. Ben Stokes doing Ben Stokes things, Jos Buttler doing Jos Buttler things, Australia losing badly and a Mankad. What more could you want? :lol:

These past few days have had everything I want from cricket. Ben Stokes doing Ben Stokes things, Jos Buttler doing Jos Buttler things, Australia losing badly and a Mankad. What more could you want? :lol:
Who performed the Mankad to whom? I haven't seen any of the games.

Winston Anthony Lloyd Cozier, journalist and broadcaster, born 10 July 1940; died 11 May 2016
1592.jpg

Tony Cozier, who has died aged 75 of cancer, was the consummate, constant reporter of Caribbean cricket for more than five decades. He was recognised by cricket followers around the world more by his voice than his appearance.
Obituary

Pretty ordinary performance from the Aussies there. Not entirely sure it would top the underarm thing for the darkest day though.

cricket doesn't exist in Australia any more!
First the whole ball tempering now it's changed channels on TV and there not televising the one day games WTF!!!
:banghead::mad:

cricket doesn't exist in Australia any more!
First the whole ball tempering now it's changed channels on TV and there not televising the one day games WTF!!!
:banghead::mad:
Is it not all on Fox? They even chipped in a bit to extend the BBL to full home/away schedule.

Is it not all on Fox? They even chipped in a bit to extend the BBL to full home/away schedule.
It's on fox, that's the problem its not all on free TV anymore. Foxtel paid them more money so free TV can't play the one day games.
STUPID FOXTEL

It's on fox, that's the problem its not all on free TV anymore. Foxtel paid them more money so free TV can't play the one day games.
STUPID FOXTEL
We haven't had England games FTA since the 05 Ashes. We get various T20 leagues (and the T10) and Pakistan games on some free channels. Having said that, Sky coverage is brilliant and has pumped so much money into the game so I'm definitely not going to complain about having to pay for it.

I listen to England test matches on the radio and occasionally attend some, and some amateur matches. I've barely seen any televised cricket since Sky took it all.

Latest Posts

Back