CSR Elite wheel now available for Preorder

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 84 comments
No real need for reviews. Top end Xbox wheel end of.

are you serious? reviews are a must. its like you have already decided the wheel is perfect just by looking at pics and the odd comment from a couple of people, oh sorry ive just realised you could be one of the beta testers who already has the wheel? but even so you cant expect other ppl to take your word only for it, we need reviews from multiple people

I really want to pre-order this now, but im still uncertain on how i feel about the actual wheel rim. I have been able to get some seat time with the base CSR, but i cant stand how it feels in my hands. I have searched for 2 hrs only to find a few words about CSR-e wheel rim swaps. I understand that it wont quick release, but what type of steering wheels will i be able to choose from? As long as its confirmed that i will be able to swap the base rim out for the BMW M3 GT2 rim than I'm completely sold. Any one have any info on this? The feel of a proper steering wheel rim in your hands will transform the driving experience 10 fold

IMO, even my g27's standard wheel rim looks and feels 100% better than this design :(

Last edited:
Mayaman
Does anybody know if the CSR elite wheel has this nice rubber coating or the shiny plastic from the CSR wheel?

thanks

The CSR E will have the matte black rubber coating on what are shiny black bits on the CSR. The front cover of the base will also be coated in this fashion (prototypes were shiny black) Keep in mind that these parts are still plastic and have the same seam they are just rubber coated as opposed to painted gloss black like the CSR

Darin of ISR confirmed all this on their Forza wheel buyers episode

shelbyz4u2nv
I have searched for 2 hrs only to find a few words about CSR-e wheel rim swaps. I understand that it wont quick release, but what type of steering wheels will i be able to choose from? As long as its confirmed that i will be able to swap the base rim out for the BMW M3 GT2 rim than I'm completely sold. Any one have any info on this? The feel of a proper steering wheel rim in your hands will transform the driving experience 10 fold

The wheel will indeed be swappable as video on ISR of Thomas demonstrating that fact clearly illustrates. As to what wheels Fanatec offers is known only to Thomas and his staff. Thomas alluded they can basically do anything but they are limited to what buttons they can add to it due to the nature that consoles are limited in those regards. Do I think we'll see an F1 rim? Certainly as there will be a demand for that. As for a BMW GT rim they could certainly do that as well but the current wheel is already a GT style and most people are likely to be content with it rather than spending another $100 on a new rim for it. Buying an Elite and then buying another rim gets real pricey and would actually end up costing more than buying the CSW as my understanding is the CSW will be sold on a modular basis.....aka buy your base and pick one of the two wheels that will be available at launch which are likely to be the F1 and the BMW GT. I think it will be awhile before we see optional wheels as well for the Elite due to how much Fanatec has on their plate right now. They're just rolling out the CSR E and will likely continue production on that for the rest of November to get enough wheels in the warehouses to feed the pent up demand, then shift gears to CSW production which they're prepping for right now to hopefully start production next month and likely start 2012 with a bang by releasing that. There's still the CSS to deal with and get production ready as Thomas alluded to as he recently picked up some samples on his recent visit to China. By any measure they've got a lot going on.

Personally I don't think it will be long before we see some DIY custom wheels being created for the Elite by some ie hards who have to have a Sparco, Momo, etc.

Last edited:
The CSRE isn't much better than the CSR.

(it's a lot better)

You had me worried there for second !

The wheelrim of the CSR felt great, so the wheelrim of the CSR Elite will feel the same.

Only one (big) con for me is playing F1 2011 with this rim.

The buttons for DRS & KERS are out my direct reach, when holding the wheel. Reaching too far does'tfeel natural.

I will buy an F1 rim later or the CSW with the F1 rim.

Last edited:
Latte, rubber is great, much better that a glossy painted plastic. But does that rubber feel better or as good as the leather on, let's say, G27?

What about grip, does it offer good grip?

Indeed it will...

Personally the rim has really grew on me but I can understand peoples dislike/issues with the plastic on the CSR.

- Is it real textured rubber like on T500 or DFP?
- Or only a spray to hide the plastic (like on bottom wheel rim part of CSR)???

Easy to check with your fingernail or a pencil to see if it is hard (= spray on plastic) or soft (= injected & real rubber) :)

BLACK86
are you serious? reviews are a must. its like you have already decided the wheel is perfect just by looking at pics and the odd comment from a couple of people, oh sorry ive just realised you could be one of the beta testers who already has the wheel?

No I'm not. You speak sense though mate.
The wheels will be selling like hot cakes regardless. People have already dropped the coin on them.

You are wise to wait for a review. Many will by on the strength of previous wheels though.

I dont want to coment yet, as much as I would like to best to save this for review guys.
We still have to follow Thomas's wishes and not discuss too much about quality/performance.

I will say that for me, I have grown to like this more than the skinny T500RS rim and that was very easily marked.

I dont want to coment yet, as much as I would like to best to save this for review guys.
We still have to follow Thomas's wishes and not discuss too much about quality/performance.

I will say that for me, I have grown to like this more than the skinny T500RS rim and that was very easily marked.

this is sufficient enough for me :)

Mr Latte

The T500 is skinny? I guess I have small hands. My hands wrap nicely around it. I have medium size gloves. So yeah, I will be curious to see how the BMW rim feels in comparison when I get my CSW for testing.
It's still interesting to know it is a bit thicker though.

On a side note, I wish the CSW testing was at the same time as the CSR E testing. I feel left behind and my hands are itching to try it out the more info gets out there. :dopey:

Anyone know how we are going to replace the chopsticks? I have the H shifter down in the proper spot, but keep the sequential shifter up top on the chopsitcks to replicate a rally cars gear lever position.

It said that there is an "adapter" but what will it be? Anyone?

I feel your anguish Logiforce as have talked with some others over PM and "the wait" is hard to chew on.

However the CSRE is the forgotten wheel, it hasnt had anything close to the attention the CSW has and really some seem to have the impression the CSW is so much better. It wont be much better for me or anyone playing consoles, if anything the heavier rims could have slightly slower FFB effects and wheel rotation speeds. The adaptable paddles though would be missed. As for the rim some will find it great others will want something else and as discussed here more will appear eventually or d.i.y efforts will be possible for the hardcore.

The FM4 cap is easily removed, I think some people were going on about that at one point?

Last edited:
WildRun
- Or only a spray to hide the plastic (like on bottom wheel rim part of CSR)???

Easy to check with your fingernail or a pencil to see if it is hard (= spray on plastic) or soft (= injected & real rubber) :)

Judging by all the photos I've seen I think it's safe to say just like the lower rubberized rim section of the CSR

Soft wouldn't be logical with it being two piece sand which construction

Yes same material as CSR but all over.
The rim is one area that will get reported on a lot I think.
Some probably feel the "Elite" should of had more of a difference over the CSR?

It is however the most comfy of all these in my opinion and the rubber has a coolish feel to it.

Thats enough from me for now.

Last edited:
I was so close to getting an early wheel to review from the FM.net community vote (missed by 2 votes!)

I pre-ordered the CSR-E and hope to get one from the first batch!

Mr Latte
Yes same material as CSR but all over.
The rim is one area that will get reported on a lot I think.
Some probably feel the "Elite" should of had more of a difference over the CSR

I love the CSR rim personally. The grips feel very comfortable for me and the plastic bits although I wish we're alcantara don't bother me as I don't ever grip the wheel in those places.

I like CSR E even better......the carbon fiber makes it look really cool.

Is it really worth the extra money or an upgrade?
Being the best Xbox wheel isn't enough for some, the question is how does it manage against the T500RS...

Not only does it need to match the T500RS I reckon to get some peoples money it will need to do so convincingly. That's asking quite a lot and for me anyways is where this product will be judged/compared/rated.

Their is the whole FM4 CSRE Vs GT5 T500RS battle to contend with as well...
I agree. It needs to beat it by a decent margin. As for the FM4 CSRE vs. GT5 T500RS battle, the interesting thing here is the CSRE can compete on both sides.

VWMasteR
As for the FM4 CSRE vs. GT5 T500RS battle,

By all means give potential buyers the nod on FF in Forza 4 but surely you can't compare wheels on that basis?

T500 doesn't even work on Forza so it's a moot point. It would just be a F4 vs GT5 debate anyhow. The wheel can only output what the software tells it too.

Surely when comparing T500/CSR(E) it has to be on the same software.
Preferably what ever is considered to be the best FF software available. Probably PC based.

Just MO off course. These high end wheels need high end FF testing to establish a winner. Even then FF is a subjective subject.

The whole point of testing what is available is to give an account to the reader how each wheel/game performs. Every test possible for each game/wheel that can be compared should be done. Thats my own views anyways.

Im not saying I will be doing a conclusive report by any means. However the tests will be conducted in a fair way. I am by all means open to suggestions as Im sure others getting the wheels are. Others will bring details on PC performance however that wont feature in my own reports.

Some of the testers are in communication to try and bring combined reports on set pre agreed test(s). I have personally pushed for this to be considered but what other people do is their decision. At the same time I only yesterday discussed this with one member that imo each person still needs to do their own individual report the way they want to.

I am not interested in some combined/controlled review that in any way would/could be interpruted as "massaged" or was the word "untrustworthy". If anything the people on these forums, myself included should produce reports that are deeper in detail and thorough in their testing to give proper honest accounts. For heavens sake, we are as mad for this gear as anyone so endgadet / virtual r type review for me is a no no.

That will likely be the case for others too because of the passion members here have and the CSRE / CSW are going to really get them excited. I reckon GT Planets forums will be on fire in the next coming weeks.

Last edited:
T500 doesn't even work on Forza so it's a moot point. It would just be a F4 vs GT5 debate anyhow.

Well the Elite does work with the PS3 so you could still compare the 2 if they are both used with GT5.

However... to me even if they are close when both being tested in GT5, the Elite should win because of the xbox compatibility.

Some people bought a T500RS primarily for GT5
They bought a TM shifter for GT5
They bought an F1 rim for F1 2011

I think some of us are quite insane, lol but you get the idea.
We will spend large sums of money to experience our favourite games in ways that will enchance them or enable us to get the "current" best experience from them. Try telling my wife the handbag and shoes she has already are fine with that new outfit. It aint gonna happen.

The T500RS is a wheel some might feel they want to sell off if a situation of the CSRE and CSS become available bettering the GT5 experience. Having X360 compatibility is just a bonus. Yet the importance of CSRE challenging the T500RS for me is a very intriguing situation.

Maybe some see it like that too.

Well for myself most racing I do is on the PC and since I own 2 T500's and a GT2 (Xbox) I have no real reason to purchase an Elite wheel. But I sure do like the looks of them, I will wait and see how they work for the masses and how CS handles any issues. This Elite wheel is definitely on my radar and I would love to have one. :)

Back