CSW Base V2 Oscillating Badly with GT6

• Thread starter Cosmos29
  • 26 comments
Canada
Canada
Just received my CSW Base V2 and installed it on my rig. Used the 918 wheel with default settings as with the V1 base. The wheel oscillates badly at 7 mph on a smooth level road and oscillates at a full stop. The firmware version reported at startup is 056. The CSW Base V1 has no oscillation with GT6.

As you will read in my linked post from above, I mentioned the wheel "vibrated" (oscillated) for me in GT6 on the straight aways only. I noticed once I turned down the "FOR" setting on the wheel itself from 130 to 100 the straight line vibration was reduced significantly.

I have found that GT6 and GT5 games vibrate violently mostly when driving high powered cars. Back when I used my trusty Logitech G25, cars driven on the Le Mans track really vibrated on the straight. The CSW v1 didn't do this. I think it was because the belt system in conjunction with the big BMW rim and the weak-ish "Mabuchi" motors masked or didn't transmit all that GT5/6 transmitted to the wheel. With the new V2 you feel everything =) Try adjusting your Fanated wheel settings to this and see what you think...

Setting GT-5/6
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO off
ABS 40
LIN off
DEA off
DRI off
FOR 100
SPR 140
DPR 150

FMW
As you will read in my linked post from above, I mentioned the wheel "vibrated" (oscillated) for me in GT6 on the straight aways only. I noticed once I turned down the "FOR" setting on the wheel itself from 130 to 100 the straight line vibration was reduced significantly.

I have found that GT6 and GT5 games vibrate violently mostly when driving high powered cars. Back when I used my trusty Logitech G25, cars driven on the Le Mans track really vibrated on the straight. The CSW v1 didn't do this. I think it was because the belt system in conjunction with the big BMW rim and the weak-ish "Mabuchi" motors masked or didn't transmit all that GT5/6 transmitted to the wheel. With the new V2 you feel everything =) Try adjusting your Fanated wheel settings to this and see what you think...

Setting GT-5/6
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO off
ABS 40
LIN off
DEA off
DRI off
FOR 100
SPR 140
DPR 150

Thank you for passing that along. I would like to hear back from Fanatec before reinstalling it in my rig since the wheel oscillates with a car at a complete stop or when going 6 or 7 mph on a completely smooth track.

The setup is currently as follows:
SEN off
FF 100
SHO off
ABS 100
LIN off
DEA off
DRI off
FOR 100
SPR 100
DPR 100

Just out of interest. What settings are you using inside gt6?

Basically since a recent update, for TM wheels at least FFB Max Torque controls the strength of the actual simulated forces, and FFB Sensitivity adds a mix of damping, centering spring and minimum force to reduce centre deadzone.

On a T500 you have to put FFB Sensitivity down to 1 to avoid it oscillating like crazy pretty much any time.

I'm assuming your issue is indeed that known firmware bug, but I am curious what your FFB Sensitivity setting is. Put it to 1 to test at least.

You need to update your firmware to 65 first
I would do like the others have suggested and take a look at your in game settings too.
As a beta tester I know the wheel is supposed to oscillate just like in a real race car but perhaps not quite as much as your getting.

You need to update your firmware to 65 first
I would do like the others have suggested and take a look at your in game settings too.
As a beta tester I know the wheel is supposed to oscillate just like in a real race car but perhaps not quite as much as your getting.

Does anyone have a link to the 65 firmware? Found the 205 driver on the Fanatec site however no indication of the associated firmware version.

Just out of interest. What settings are you using inside gt6?

Basically since a recent update, for TM wheels at least FFB Max Torque controls the strength of the actual simulated forces, and FFB Sensitivity adds a mix of damping, centering spring and minimum force to reduce centre deadzone.

On a T500 you have to put FFB Sensitivity down to 1 to avoid it oscillating like crazy pretty much any time.

I'm assuming your issue is indeed that known firmware bug, but I am curious what your FFB Sensitivity setting is. Put it to 1 to test at least.

i'd say that the sensivity setting controls how early the force feedback makes itself noticeable.
it does not add to or change the force feedback effects at all, it just influences the timing.
the effect is very noticeable when you are drifting, because when you are initiating a drift you can definately feel it when the sensivity is set too high as well as when it is set to low.

when sensivity is set too high the wheel wants to straighten itself too early and you will automatically overcorrect the drift. whereas when the sensivity is set to low, you will fail to countersteer ernough to maintain a stable drift and spin out.

its less noticeable when you are racing normally because then you will just perceive the force feedback as odd, strangely damped or missing something if sensivity is not set up properly.

so if the wheel is oscillating it could very well be that the sensivity setting is causing it because if set too high the wheel will indeed overreact.

Try Force Feedback Torque at 4-5 and Force Feedback Sensitivity at 2 in the GT6 control menu. Anything above Force Feedback Sensitivity of 2 will cause the wheel to oscillate on the straights. I found this to be quite good today in GT6 using my CSW v2 with the FF setting at the default 100% in the wheel tuning menu.

Try Force Feedback Torque at 4-5 and Force Feedback Sensitivity at 2 in the GT6 control menu. Anything above Force Feedback Sensitivity of 2 will cause the wheel to oscillate on the straights. I found this to be quite good today in GT6 using my CSW v2 with the FF setting at the default 100% in the wheel tuning menu.

Did this and the wheel still oscillated badly both while driving and at a full stop. Going to request a return and full refund from Fanatec as this is a brand new wheel.

Did this and the wheel still oscillated badly both while driving and at a full stop. Going to request a return and full refund from Fanatec as this is a brand new wheel.

When you rotate the wheel with out power. Does it make a knocking noise, and or binding and popping? If yes, then get in contact with Fanatec now. These are the same defects I experienced too, and a RMA will be your answer.

(Also, Why so many recalls? No matter the product or manufacture? Rockets, Planes, Cars, boats, add on others please.) Time (Look out we may need to launch the lawyers, hairdressers, phone cleaners, ad infinintum, into space? LOL)

Last edited:

These are my wheel settings, not sure if any of these will make any difference but you're welcome to try them with yours. I'm also assuming you're putting the wheel in PS3 mode right? Start + O button. You're running the latest 65 firmware?

SEN 900
FF 100
SHO off
ABS 0
LIN off
DEA off
DRI off
FOR 100
SPR 10
DPR 100

One last thing you might try since you stated that your v1 doesn't oscillate, but its well know that the v1 had a slight deadzone around center but Fanatec says that the v2 doesn't. In the v2 manual it states you may have a need to add a slight amount of deadzone around center for some games. You could try adding a few degrees of deadzone in the wheel tuning menu and see if that helps.

Now that I loaded the latest firmware I agree on adjusting the "sensitivity" within GT-6 is crucial is you don't want your Fanatec wheel to oscillate. I put my setting to 3 and there is little to no oscillating. I had it at 8 and it oscillated like crazy in the straight sections.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

FMW
Now that I loaded the latest firmware I agree on adjusting the "sensitivity" within GT-6 is crucial is you don't want your Fanatec wheel to oscillate. I put my setting to 3 and there is little to no oscillating. I had it at 8 and it oscillated like crazy in the straight sections.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

You might find sensitivity of 3 to oscillate some too depending on the vehicle, some are worse than others. That being said, the GT6 description of how those FFB settings work is pretty poor but it seems to me that the Torque setting is basically how much overall force the wheel can apply especially in turns, and Sensitivity seems to be the other FFB effects like curbs, road surface, engine, chassis, tire vibration, etc. I believe based on my own testing, this is the best way to describe how these settings affect what you feel.

i hope GT6 patches this issue. Having the sensitivty higher feels great besides the crazy oscillation it brings on the straights.

i hope GT6 patches this issue. Having the sensitivty higher feels great besides the crazy oscillation it brings on the straights.
Wouldn't hold my breath as the CSW isn't a supported wheel and if they make changes to the G25 settings it rides on then it may affect the handling for those with G25s...

Wouldn't hold my breath as the CSW isn't a supported wheel and if they make changes to the G25 settings it rides on then it may affect the handling for those with G25s...

I thought this oscillation issue was part of the update with the new feed back sensitivity option. I remember watching the isr review of this patch and they were using a thrustmaster wheel which had this same issue. My CSR-E also acted differently after this new update as well just not that noticeable since the motors are weaker then the CSW v2.

That's interesting, what version is it? I haven't got my base yet but I haven't ran GT6 for some time now, perhaps I should run it when I get my wheel without updating and see if there is a problem or not.

I thought this oscillation issue was part of the update with the new feed back sensitivity option. I remember watching the isr review of this patch and they were using a thrustmaster wheel which had this same issue. My CSR-E also acted differently after this new update as well just not that noticeable since the motors are weaker then the CSW v2.

The recent GT6 FFB updates have added a lot of FFB effects that weren't there previously so the sensitivity is having some strange effects on some wheels. Its probably a bit too strong since many wheels are having to use this setting at near zero or maybe it just needs more tweaking however the FFB as a whole is probably better than its ever been in GT6 due to the added effects. It wouldn't really surprise me that its affecting all wheels to some degree, it just depends on how much based on the type of wheel, how much damping and internal friction the wheel has as well as how much strength the wheel can output.

I have recently set up my V2 (BMW & Formula rim) with GT6. I have also just moved house so have no internet to download any updates. I am on the 056 firmware as it shipped.
Go into GT6 options and make sure you are on Simulation steering and also set power steering to on.
Next enter a race and go to driving options. Set force feedback max torque to 2 and Force feedback sensitivity to 1.
That should stop the oscillating forces kicking in too soon, or too strong.
My wheel settings are as follows:
Sen: OFF
FF: 100
SHo: 100
ABS: 60 (depends on car)
Lin: OFF
Dea: 10 (important)
Dri: OFF
For: 100
Spr: OFF
Dpr: OFF

I hope this helps get you close as it can be quite frustrating.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure the problem is a software issue with GT6 and has nothing to do with the CSW, as this does not occur in other sims. So, I wouldn't return the wheel assuming there is something wrong with it. If you get a replacement, it will do the same thing.

There are plenty of options to get the oscillating down to a reasonable level. Just holding the wheel gets rid of it for me, but you could increase deadzone and other options.

In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if GT6 keeps providing updates and tweaks to the FFB to improve this going forward.

I'm pretty sure the problem is a software issue with GT6 and has nothing to do with the CSW, as this does not occur in other sims. So, I wouldn't return the wheel assuming there is something wrong with it. If you get a replacement, it will do the same thing.

There are plenty of options to get the oscillating down to a reasonable level. Just holding the wheel gets rid of it for me, but you could increase deadzone and other options.

In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if GT6 keeps providing updates and tweaks to the FFB to improve this going forward.

Convinced that the new wheel was defective as it oscillated badly while driving in GT6 with the vehicle at a full stop I returned it for a full refund. Fanatec informed me that they would charge a 15% restocking fee. Told them that I thought the wheel was defective given that no other owners had posted about experiencing this particular problem. I shipped the wheel to their repair facility per their request. They subsequently issued a full refund and informed me that the repair technician confirmed that the wheel was defective.

And there you have it. A brand new Clubsport Wheel Base V2 bad out of the box. Sticking with my CSW Base V1 for now.

Convinced that the new wheel was defective as it oscillated badly while driving in GT6 with the vehicle at a full stop I returned it for a full refund. Fanatec informed me that they would charge a 15% restocking fee. Told them that I thought the wheel was defective given that no other owners had posted about experiencing this particular problem. I shipped the wheel to their repair facility per their request. They subsequently issued a full refund and informed me that the repair technician confirmed that the wheel was defective.

And there you have it. A brand new Clubsport Wheel Base V2 bad out of the box. Sticking with my CSW Base V1 for now.
Why didn't you just get a replacement and enjoy it?

Back