Custom G27 Classic Rim Build Thread - FINISHED!!!

• Thread starter rj5992
  • 99 comments
I did something similar on my T300, but on my mod fun extracting hot air from base insted to add cold air inside. I believe it is not just prevent from dust inside base, but also is more efective cooling.

I also think extracting the air from a unit is the thing you should be doing.

You'd both be right if Raghza and I weren't using heatsinks. Forced convection is a lot more efficient when heatsinks are involved: the cooler you can make the heatsink, the more efficient the heat transfer.

Just remembered about this thread after last visiting a few months ago, which means I've got to binge on the last few updates!

This is looking great, can't wait to see the finished item. I'm really envious of your handiwork, I'd love one of these but have trouble sharpening a pencil! How many hours do you reckon you've spent on it so far?

Just remembered about this thread after last visiting a few months ago, which means I've got to binge on the last few updates!

This is looking great, can't wait to see the finished item. I'm really envious of your handiwork, I'd love one of these but have trouble sharpening a pencil! How many hours do you reckon you've spent on it so far?

I'm glad you think so! I dread to think how many hours it is to be honest, I started the actual build process at the beginning of February and, when I do work on it, I spend about half an hour a day (the back half of my lunch break). When you think that I've spent about 7 hours making just the grips so far then it must be a large number, especially now I remember how arduous it was to cut out and file down the aluminium. So... conservative guess of at least 20 so far.

Well I'm sure that if you multiplied that by your hourly rate it would still work out more economical than that 250GTO T300 wheel, especially since at £350 it doesn't include the T300 (and is PC-only anyway)! Plus much more rewarding/enjoyable and you have something to your ideal size/spec. Keep up the good work, and as the person who motivated you to start this thread, I would like to formally register my interest in being your first charity project. #IllSupplyTheMahogany

I also think extracting the air from a unit is the thing you should be doing.
Depends on how hot it gets inside. With the fan blowing directly at the heatsinks, everything is cool in there, in fact not warmer than the normal room temperature. And as the case is closed with just the holes at the front for the air to exit, it creates a nice smooth air corridor.
I haven't tested as there is no need for it, but I am pretty sure that with the fan extracting the air from the inside, it wouldn't be as effective.

@rj5992 thank you for the kind words, very glad to see that I have helped somebody. Your thread is amazing!
Btw, I ordered this 32V 4A power supply yesterday just out of curiosity :)

Last edited:
Haha well if it was my wage then I'd not have many hours left! Fortunately I consider my free time to be far cheaper, at least when it regards making stuff like this :)

The shaping of the inner curve is complete!

IMG_20190523_141351.jpg

Onto finishing the aluminium tomorrow!

Btw, I ordered this 32V 4A power supply yesterday just out of curiosity :)

I'll be very interested to see how it turns out!

Keep up the good work, and as the person who motivated you to start this thread, I would like to formally register my interest in being your first charity project.

I was actually thinking about how a T300 would work and as far as I can work out it would be quite an involved process. You'd need to pull the wheel apart and bypass the wheel connector, running it to an external button box. I was thinking that it might be possible to splice a second set of cabling into the original DIN run and take that to a secondary DIN port mounted on the reverse or side of the casing. You could then make up an external button box with a DIN connector and plug it in constantly/as and when you're using a wheel that doesn't have buttons. Then it would just be a case of 3D printing some Thrustmaster Wheel connectors and you can then have any wheel you want.
Personally, because the T300 has stronger FFB, I would actually buy some off the shelf wheels. You already have the 599 Evo wheel which covers modern GT/rallying.
You could then get a 13" Astrali leather rim for £50 which would suit 70's/80's/90's GT, Formula, Prototype and Touring Cars:
Screenshot_20190526_101756_com.ebay.mobile.png

For classic stuff you could then get a 14" Astrali wood wheel with a slight dish to help you clear the paddles. The extra inch will give you that classic feel (...ahem...).
Screenshot_20190526_101906_com.ebay.mobile.png

I found the above one on eBay, only fitted once.

What's this? An update!?

So as you can imagine by the lack of update, the wheel rim took a back seat for most of the summer. Mostly down to work being really busy.

I have, however, finished the increased FFB power mod for the G27 base. Thanks again to @raghza for his original thread on it.

IMG_20190809_152403.jpg

That's all the heat sinks installed. I cut a cable tie and used that as a strap to hold it in place.

I finished the outside as well, really happy with how the flocked dashboard came out.

IMG_20190809_182252.jpg

IMG_20190809_182307.jpg

I'll start the wheel again next week hopefully. One of the main stumbling blocks is that I can't decide whether to have it in a polished or brushed finish.

Thanks very much! I was testing it over the weekend and I can't believe the difference in power and speed. Feels like I've got a brand new wheel! Thanks a lot for working it all out!
You are very welcome. The knowledge was already on the internet, I just browsed tens of threads and scrolled through hundreds of pages to make sure I get everything right.
It's really a cheap and easy upgrade for what the results are, isn't it? :)
Btw the 32V 4A power supply I ordered was cancelled and refunded by the seller.. will try again in autumn :)

It's really a cheap and easy upgrade for what the results are, isn't it? :)
Btw the 32V 4A power supply I ordered was cancelled and refunded by the seller.. will try again in autumn :)

Yeah, it really is. Like you said in your original thread, the increased rotation speed makes all the difference when driving.

I'll keep an eye on your original thread in that case, I'll be interested to see the difference.

Yeah, it really is. Like you said in your original thread, the increased rotation speed makes all the difference when driving.

I'll keep an eye on your original thread in that case, I'll be interested to see the difference.

Hi RJ - any update? I've really enjoyed your build thread! Amazing craftsmanship by the way!

Hi RJ - any update? I've really enjoyed your build thread! Amazing craftsmanship by the way!

Yes! After a long time I've finally pressed on with it. One of the major stumbling blocks was my indecision as to have the aluminium brushed or polished. I even spent about a month of the odd lunchtime attempting to polish it up but the plate just wouldn't take an adequate shine. After brushing the aluminium I was able to crack on with fitting, gluing and drilling the grips. I've just put on a rudimentary shape with the machine sander for the exterior curve this lunchtime. The next step is to put the final shape on by hand (lots of sanding!)

IMG_20200107_142420.jpg

Splendid work and craftsmanship. Just came to this thread from a link and went through every comment and pics. Very interesting along with the storyline and progression. I admire your perseverance. Must be a labour of love isn't it? I could never do that. Don't have the patience nor skillset. You on the other hand have both including the technical knowledge. Can't say enough how impressed I am.
It's coming along marvellously bro. Can't wait to see more including the finished product. Cheers. :cheers:

Splendid work and craftsmanship. Just came to this thread from a link and went through every comment and pics. Very interesting along with the storyline and progression. I admire your perseverance. Must be a labour of love isn't it? I could never do that. Don't have the patience nor skillset. You on the other hand have both including the technical knowledge. Can't say enough how impressed I am.
It's coming along marvellously bro. Can't wait to see more including the finished product. Cheers. :cheers:
Agree with all of David’s sentiments. Would love to see the completed project. Especially curious about fabrication and installation of the dowels. The wood and aluminum are a beautiful compliment, shown most in the completed vintage F1 wheel (which I love). Fabulous work. :)=👍

Last edited:
Agree with all of David’s sentiments. Would love to see the completed project. Especially curious about fabrication and installation of the dowels. The wood and aluminum are a beautiful compliment, shown most in the completed vintage F1 wheel (which I love). Fabulous work. :)=👍
I think it was you self re the link that led me here wasn't it? Cheers and great to see you again.

Edit: My bad. It was SGETI at SNAIL/Lobarano Lounge who posted the link.

Last edited:

Yes David - @rj5992 is a very skilled craftsman. Do you build or restore piano's RJ? You do your wheel building during your lunchbreak?

He's also a skilled sim-racer who I was looking forward to meeting up with at some classic race meetings at Brands Hatch - but unfortunately that will have to wait until next season due to the Covid 19 outbreak.

Looking forward to seeing the rim finished - let me know when it's finished and we'll put on some special races for cars with wood rimmed wheels!

Do you build or restore piano's RJ?
Take a look at Rob's avatar picture, I reckon there's a clue on the wall behind him. ;)

I suspect with the virus restrictions @rj5992 you have more time on your hands but possibly no access to work on the wheel? Unless you've taken it home.

we'll put on some special races for cars with wood rimmed wheels!
We've all got to have wood rims?! Oh, you probably mean real life wood wheeled cars. :)

Hi guys!

Firstly, thank you so much for the lovely comments David and Gr8_Lakes.

Sorry, I haven't kept the thread updated. It's been on the back burner, with any progress being just lots and lots of sanding! I'm still working through the current UK lockdown, so haven't had much time on my hands, but I told myself to get it finished this week as a little birthday present to myself. So, without further ado and after more than a year:

IMG_20200423_154639.jpg

IMG_20200423_154714.jpg

IMG_20200423_154728.jpg

So glad to finally get it finished, I just wish I wasn't isolating away from my rig at the moment so I can try it out!

Back