Custom G27 Classic Rim Build Thread - FINISHED!!!

• Thread starter rj5992
  • 99 comments
Fantastic job @rj5992 - looks superb! I'm looking forward to seeing the rim attached to its base, but that will obviously have to wait!

Can I suggest wooden gear knobs - perhaps two - each with a Jaguar or Lotus logo recessed into the top - you can buy them or it might be cheaper to buy an off the shelf wooden one and then modify it. Classic Ferrari's used a large aluminium ball shaped knob and American classics a white or black cue ball style.

Another project - how about a button box modified with wood veneer?

With your incredible craftsman skills the sky is the limit! Happy birthday!

NB for the full effect and to protect the wheel get a pair of leather palmed, string backed driving gloves - preferably brown leather and cream cloth - I used to drive in a pair (real life) and they were fantastically comfortable! For the full retro effect race in a black bow tie, white shirt and green jacket like Mike Hawthorn!

Last edited:
Fantastic job @rj5992 - looks superb! I'm looking forward to seeing the rim attached to its base, but that will obviously have to wait!

Thanks a lot Sick! I'm hoping I'll get it attached next time I go home to swap the motorbikes over. The Interceptor is tucked away now that the rain has arrived but i'll be getting it out again once the sun is shining in a week or two. Not sure how long it will be until I can race with it at home though!

Can I suggest wooden gear knobs - perhaps two - each with a Jaguar or Lotus logo recessed into the top - you can buy them or it might be cheaper to buy an off the shelf wooden one and then modify it. Classic Ferrari's used a large aluminium ball shaped knob and American classics a white or black cue ball style.

I've already modified my shifter to have an aluminium ball on it when racing classic cars. It's interchangeable so I can also have a lighter, lower and more modern shifter for newer cars. I found the heavier ball to be better with shifting then something lighter (there's very little feel with the G27 shifter).

Another project - how about a button box modified with wood veneer?

Well that does tie in to what I had in the back of my mind.

I was thinking of modifying the G27 shifter to improve the feel, accuracy with a taller gate and improve the look. Had the open gated Ferrari 250 arrangement in mind:
99d7be57e9659497165785551ca1c610.jpg

Had the idea of using neodymium magnets mounted in each gate and halfway through the forward/backward throw to mimic the force needed to pull it out of gear and the general tension as you move through neutral without having to resort to springs/elastic.

To do that I'd have to relocate the buttons which I was thinking of doing by making a dashboard for them so you're not far off the mark!

I think I'll be enjoying the wheel for a little bit first though

NB I've had the string backed gloves ready since last year!

Last edited:
I was thinking of modifying the G27 shifter to improve the feel, accuracy with a taller gate and improve the look. Had the open gated Ferrari 250 arrangement in mind:

Had the idea of using neodymium magnets mounted in each gate and halfway through the forward/backward throw to mimic the force needed to pull it out of gear and the general tension as you move through neutral without having to resort to springs/elastic.

Sounds a great idea!

but it would be better without paddles
Yes they do stand out because of their brightness. Perhaps you could darken the paddles somehow RJ? Just so they fade into the background.
Mind you when you're driving you're looking at the screen not the paddles. :)

But yes it looks cracking in place. And it even matches the desk and the surrounds on your speakers. Very woody.

I was finally able to use the wheel last night, absolutely chuffed to bits with it. Feels really nice, and I'm glad I went with the Springall suggested rim dimensions as any smaller (more to scale of a 15/16" wheel) would feel too small in the hand. Had to crack out the new gloves as well, seeing as I was in a Shelby Cobra. I later tried it out in VR and it's fantastic as well.

IMG_20200702_150118.jpg

Back