Custom VisionRacer VR3. D-box motion, Dual TH8s, Triple projection.

• Thread starter Mayaman
  • 512 comments
Yeah I turn off the wheel in every sim I run. On the F1 sims though it won't allow it. But the way I have my sim lined up to the screens, my arms and wheel block out 90% of the on screen wheel so its OK. If you notice from my helmet cam I have a pretty cool view of the gauges right through the wheel, its awesome. In project cars from my video the onscreen wheel is deleted, very immersive. Took me quite a while to find the correct angle but now its cherry. The wheel you posted is great!

Thanks!

@Mikemav, the real question is when are you inviting me over? The current setup looks unbelievable.

@Mikemav, the real question is when are you inviting me over? The current setup looks unbelievable.

We can work something out I'm sure. I have some cleaning up to do (the areas just below where the video cuts off at the bottom are a total mess and I need to rework my screen mounts, but yes, it's a lot of fun!)

How are you enjoying your Elite? I think I need to find a new home for mine. Great wheel but I'm just not using the Xbox much anymore to justify keeping it. If anyone is interested in a CSR Elite (barely used) and a set of CSP v1 let me know; I think the CSW is here to stay!

Oh don't worry about the mess. I won't be looking at the floor.

I love the way my CSR Elite performs and I can't give up Xbox compatibility since Forza 4 is one of my favorite driving games. Perhaps there will be a day when a PC game can scratch the same itch and then I can consider moving up to a CSW. As it stands, I'm looking into the logistics of making my own GT rim for the CSR Elite.

Stunning setup Mayaman... I was always under the impression that the projector setup was stationary, but from the pictures it looks as though the screens and projector mount are tied in with motion platform. Is that really how it's setup? Looking forward to your upcoming vids/review.

Racer the screens are stationary, keep looking down in the pic history and you'll see that I created a base for the stand that slides under the rig.

Wombat, I believe it is the 9060, great little keyboard. I mounted the RAM to my frame and then used GOOP to attach the keyboard to the RAM. GOOP is an invisible adhesive which is ultra strong yet light, works great. If you want you can always remove the GOOP by peeling from the edge. The position f the keyboard is perfect for me.

Any other questions just ask.

Hehe, the mounting for the half dome is an absolute NIGHTMARE. I can't find a position so far that doesn't require me to do some Yoga type move to get in and out. The warping software is brilliant however. Before I post any videos I have to figure out a way to mount this so I can get in and out easily and doesn't make my rig look like a shambles of PVC. Anybody have any ideas how to mount a 4 foot across half dome so I can enter and exit the rig gracefully and it will look nice? Any ideas appreciated.

Think garage door. Have it pivot up over your head when not in use.
Or find a hot yoga instructor to teach you some " moves "

Hehe, the mounting for the half dome is an absolute NIGHTMARE. I can't find a position so far that doesn't require me to do some Yoga type move to get in and out. The warping software is brilliant however. Before I post any videos I have to figure out a way to mount this so I can get in and out easily and doesn't make my rig look like a shambles of PVC. Anybody have any ideas how to mount a 4 foot across half dome so I can enter and exit the rig gracefully and it will look nice? Any ideas appreciated.

If it's lightweight mate why not think along the lines of a pulley in the ceiling. You can get neat small pulleys and use ultra thin steel cabling/wire. Just pull it up when you want to get out and have some kind of locators between the dome and your frame/mounts. Would be very simple and I dont think it would be unsightly ;)

Hmmm good idea, except that I'm a renter and the ceiling fan is directly over my rig. But you did give me an idea. Thanks!

Caz
Think garage door. Have it pivot up over your head when not in use.
Or find a hot yoga instructor to teach you some " moves "

I've been designing a mount for the curved screen to go up and display the triple faceted screen for GT5 and Forza. So I can have both, plus my nephew loves Forza.

this house closing is taking a lot longer than expected since the seller is short to the bank. Still waiting :(

But I've got a design for an adjustable VR3 steering deck!!! More to come in the coming weeks.

Well just trying to address the two biggest complaints people have about the VR3. As you can see in the thread I already took care of the center post with my dual post design. Now I'm attacking the non adjustalbe steering deck. So far the design looks promising. Need to take it to my local welder to get a couple of spot welds. Hopefully I'll have something before I move. I'll try. Just with work and everything I have literally zero time. Still need to post my motion sim opinions. I'm currently at work today so taking some time to post. LOL

Mike great vids, we need to talk as I have a couple of projects for the coming month or two. Please PM me the info on your setup so I can ask you a few questions. Again great vids.

Hello,
Could you please tell me, where did you get those white panels and what model projectors are you using? I would really appreciate that.
Thank you!

I bought the screens from here
http://northernflightsim.com/projectionscreen.shtml

But warning, they aren't cheap. They are very well built with full welded substructure so they average 10 pounds per screen. I may be selling these if you're interested since I'm going even bigger now. Let me know if you're interested.

Contact me via PM and I'll make sure he knows you're going to contact him about some screens. :)

I'm using 3 Qumi Q2 projectors. those will also be for sale with the screens if you're interested. Selling as a package as I'm going to go with a 9 foot screen and three 1080p 3D projectors.

Back