Custom wheels give all 4 tyres the same width.... changes grip and balance

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 361 comments
The F40 should be difficult to drive at the limit, so this sounds fine :)

And you can't see the rims when you're driving the car... save the rims for Photomode ;)

At the limit yes, but with custom rims its undriveable at almost any speed. Please try it on brands hatch.

Well if it's good if you are into drifting!

Silver linings and all that jazz.

And it's also good to know that tire width actually affects handling, because I for one didn't think Gran Turismo physics took into account traction and handling differences according to tire width. Still, they need to fix the problem as stated by the OP.

The F40 should be difficult to drive at the limit, so this sounds fine :)

And you can't see the rims when you're driving the car... save the rims for Photomode ;)
Which would be fine if you could keep purchased rims(paint chips)....but you can't. Why?

it's strange because in the custom parts wheels shop the width remains identical when using the rear point view, but then you go into photomode with the Cizeta and the width is significantly thinner.

Edit. Even the Acura NSX '91 have wider wheels when stock, between 1 to 2 inches, hard to tell.

Last edited:
Is there a case where custom tires increase grip opposed to decreasing it?
Those Prius tires for examples are made for fuel economy, so are custom tires then wider?

I wouldnt say ruin the balance. Some people prefer more front end grip and people should use it as a tool to do so. If you balance it with adding more rear downforce, you have yourself a faster car.

Good to know though.

Why should we use it as a tool? We should also be allowed to change offsets and wheel width.. just like in real life. It's quite unacceptable really in my opinion.

Is there a case where custom tires increase grip opposed to decreasing it?
Those Prius tires for examples are made for fuel economy, so are custom tires then wider?
No, it seems as though with each car, the custom rims replace all 4 wheels with the same width as the original front wheels were when stock.

So now the question is what cars have staggered setups? I know MR & RR cars probably all do. But are there some FR cars that do? I thought I read the Nissan Z cars are staggered? Is there an easy way to tell other than putting them in photo mode? Now we need to make a list!

If custom wheels have fixed widths, then that will be bad for powerful cars with fat wheels standard. But this aspect may make small cars with low bhp and thin wheels handle better with the fixed size custom wheels. Can you photograph a basic fiat 500 with stock and custom wheels?

If custom wheels have fixed widths, then that will be bad for powerful cars with fat wheels standard. But this aspect may make small cars with low bhp and thin wheels handle better with the fixed size custom wheels. Can you photograph a basic fiat 500 with stock and custom wheels?
Did you read my last post? Any cars that don't have wider rear tyres are not affected at all.
So now the question is what cars have staggered setups? I know MR & RR cars probably all do. But are there some FR cars that do? I thought I read the Nissan Z cars are staggered? Is there an easy way to tell other than putting them in photo mode? Now we need to make a list!
I would say as a rule it would be fair to assume that any MR car is affected and most FR cars that have more than 300bhp. That's not to say that some with lower bhp aren't affected but the effect will be less noticeable.

My Rx8 and previous 350z did in real life which was a pain ordering 2 different sets of tyres. Not by much though.

My Rx8 and previous 350z did in real life which was a pain ordering 2 different sets of tyres. Not by much though.

Is the UK RX-8 different from North American ones? North American RX-8s are not staggered. They originally came with 225/45R18s all around, then they came with 225/40R19s with the R3 package.

Is the UK RX-8 different from North American ones? North American RX-8s are not staggered. They originally came with 225/45R18s all around, then they came with 225/40R19s with the R3 package.
May just be my model then, wearing factory OZs with Michelins.

it's strange because in the custom parts wheels shop the width remains identical when using the rear point view, but then you go into photomode with the Cizeta and the width is significantly thinner.

Edit. Even the Acura NSX '91 have wider wheels when stock, between 1 to 2 inches, hard to tell.
They remain the same until you leave the wheel shop. If you change wheels and go back to the menu where you can choose between external parts and wheels, and then go back into the wheel shop you can see the tirewidths are thinner(i tested it on the mclaren mp4-12c after patch 1.02). Really hope they will fix this

The problem is really huge.

I've been testing my 1265 HP Race Modified Pagani Huarya (full mods w/o nitro) on the Silverstone International Circuit (2978 m long) without custom rims.

Day before it was a real pain to drive this car fast - on the cutoms. I was running only on racing hard compound and my lap times were all above 1 minute, 1:03 or something like that. The car had very low grip in corners. Under braking, in the middle of the corner and on the exit. Even on the straights it was hard to control this car. Pagani was simply broken...

But today it was totally different. I had that special feeling driving this beast. It was so much fun to keep the rear in control. I've managed to make a nice lap, in a 59,2 sec.

I wonder who's idea it was to model all 4 tires after the fronts when in most performance cars, front tires are the thin ones. Why not model all 4 based on the rears so at least front end grip would increase. It wouldnt turn in as quickly but at least you wouldnt have a huge disparity in available traction from the rear, where most high powered cars need it most.
In any case, hopefully this is something PD is actively looking to resolve. It would be nice if they let us determine widths just like they do diameter, with a plus 1 or 2 inch wide wheel. That would be amazing.

2 things:

How did they mess that up???

Finally, GT6 must simulate tire different widths.

Well they do simulate tyre width otherwise putting narrower tyres wouldn't reduce grip! The question now is which cars have narrower tyres as stock compared to rim up plus 2 like old 60s cars as they should benefit from more grip if the custom tyres are wider than old school ones.

I wonder who's idea it was to model all 4 tires after the fronts when in most performance cars, front tires are the thin ones. Why not model all 4 based on the rears so at least front end grip would increase. It wouldnt turn in as quickly but at least you wouldnt have a huge disparity in available traction from the rear, where most high powered cars need it most.
In any case, hopefully this is something PD is actively looking to resolve. It would be nice if they let us determine widths just like they do diameter, with a plus 1 or 2 inch wide wheel. That would be amazing.

Seems like it was a glitch because the skinny wheel issue doesn't affect the GT40 '66, carried over from GT5. Mind you changing rims on the '66 GT40 results in out of balance car that is faster but a handful to drive. PD needs to feed us more information as to what rims do in relation to weight, because it definitely does something according to my testing of the car. Now we just need PD to see that we all notice that there is a problem as reduced contact patch really hurts cars way more in this game that it did in GT5.

Dramatic much?

You got the point, but IMO this problem is so huge that people can become dramatic. I think I can pretty much say that for myself too.
This problem = no aftermarket rims. I mean, what's the point of changing the wheels, when you lose performance?
Exactly, you don't change them. What does that mean? No aftermarket wheels in this game.

I think people (and me) have a reason to be dramatic.. :)

If this is true I'm actually impressed GT6 models this.

This.

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with it? Because right now I see only positive in all this. (realistically modelled stock tires)

edit:

You got the point, but IMO this problem is so huge that people can become dramatic. I think I can pretty much say that for myself too.
This problem = no aftermarket rims. I mean, what's the point of changing the wheels, when you lose performance?
Exactly, you don't change them. What does that mean? No aftermarket wheels in this game.

And what PD need to do? Model all custom wheels with different width and sizes?

I'm not saying it isn't an issue or that PD shouldn't fix it, but in a game this complex things get missed. At least by identifying it, people can now deal with it until it gets fixed. But you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit jaded by the complete whine fest that's been going on since the game was released. To hear most people tell it you'd swear GT6 caused the apocalypse and did something un-gentlemanly with their sister.

Back