Custom wheels give all 4 tyres the same width.... changes grip and balance

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 361 comments
And what PD need to do? Model all custom wheels with different width and sizes?

If I go and buy a new set of wheels for my 996, am I going to replace the 8" front and 10" rear with 4 x 8" rims?

Of course not. I'll buy a set of new rims of at least the same width.

When you replace rims on your car in the game they should be the same width as the original wheels.

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with it? Because right now I see only positive in all this. (realistically modelled stock tires)
What? You don't think fitting different wheels destroying the balance and handling of a car is a problem? What would you say consitutes a problem then? :indiff:
And what PD need to do? Model all custom wheels with different width and sizes?
Make the custom rims the same width as the wheels they are replacing and not all the same as the front wheels. There are pictures too but unfortunately they aren't pop up ones.

I'm not saying it isn't an issue or that PD shouldn't fix it, but in a game this complex things get missed. At least by identifying it, people can now deal with it until it gets fixed. But you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit jaded by the complete whine fest that's been going on since the game was released. To hear most people tell it you'd swear GT6 caused the apocalypse and did something un-gentlemanly with their sister.

I am with you with the whining.
I am one of those guys, who is totally fine with the standards, m4 having no interior (jesus, people, stop with it already), even sounds, but this issue just hurts.

For some reason I don't thing it's a thing which is easily fixed. Just my gut feeling. However we will see.

By the way, when most of the cars in GT6 don't have any appearance tuning whatsoever, wheels change was the only way to make your car different from stock/someones. But this bug makes even this go away.

I guess I just really don't like stock wheels.

EDIT: I really don't care "what PD should do". That's their job. We don't have tire width option for 16 years. Don't you think they should have already implemented this, or atleast make it right?

To add to cars width, offset also needs adding so it some cars don't have deep arches then the width can go outwards.

What? You don't think fitting different wheels destroying the balance and handling of a car is a problem? What would you say consitutes a problem then? :indiff:

No it's not a problem - you have an option to change rims from choices given. Maybe not able to choose different rim sizes for front/rear is a problem ;)

Anyone remember on GT4 how racing tires increased wheel size. The M3 CSL with different wheels and racing tires looked like it had 22's on it.

No it's not a problem - you have an option to change rims from choices given. Maybe not able to choose different rim sizes for front/rear is a problem ;)
What? Do you understand what has been shown or outlined at all?

In simplest terms:

A car, the F40 (for example) - fat rear tyres, narrower fronts. Loads of power and pretty good balance, fun to drive.

I want new wheels, different wheels.

I fit new wheels. Rear tyres are now same width as front tyres. Crap balance, massive lift off oversteer, no traction = handling ruined.

That's a problem in my book.

Seriously? You are fine with the fact that Stock wheels are the best performance wise?
Take an FR car for example. 245 Front / 275 Rear. Stock wheels.
And then, FR car, with aftermarket wheels at 245 Front / 245 Rear. Which is going to be balanced better?

Why would aftermarket wheels perform better than stock wheels?

Most of the PERFORMANCE wheels like Enkei, BBS, Advan, Volk (those are in the game) are A LOT lighter. I mean, A LOT. That ofcourse is not applicable for all cars in the game, because some of those are fitted with light wheels already. However, when I swap wheels of let's say M3 2004, you are losing a lot of weight.
But no sane person would fit thinner tires (except drifters and generally people who doesn't like grip) on the performance wheels (also thinner).

Why would aftermarket wheels perform considerably worse than original wheels?

You understand what this thread is about right?

Most of the PERFORMANCE wheels like Enkei, BBS, Advan, Volk (those are in the game) are A LOT lighter. I mean, A LOT.

Ok. Do you notice a difference in speed when you lighten the windshield?

Hyper and super cars already have very very light wheels so aftermarket may weigh more.

The issue isn't weight (more or less weight), the issue is when you change the wheels you lose section width on the rear tyres.

Guys. You are missing the point. The main issue isn't the weight. It's the width of the wheels and tires. That's the thing.

EDIT: Can't keep up with Stotty :)

What? Do you understand what has been shown or outlined at all?

In simplest terms:

A car, the F40 (for example) - fat rear tyres, narrower fronts. Loads of power and pretty good balance, fun to drive.

I want new wheels, different wheels.

I fit new wheels. Rear tyres are now same width as front tyres. Crap balance, massive lift off oversteer, no traction = handling ruined.

That's a problem in my book.

I bolded the actual problem. That's right?

As I'm the person who originally highlighted this issue, yes, I do.

Your response made me question this.

Guys. You are missing the point. The main issue isn't the weight. It's the width of the wheels and tires. That's the thing.

I don't think anyone is missing it. I just wanted to highlight that your desire to have sweet rimzzz has nothing to do with performance. They are mutually exclusive.

Is it strange that aftermarket wheels are now square instead of following the stock stagger? Yes.

Your response made me question this.

I don't think anyone is missing it. I just wanted to highlight that your desire to have sweet rimzzz has nothing to do with performance. They are mutually exclusive.

Is it strange that aftermarket wheels are now square instead of following the stock stagger? Yes.

Sweet rimzz? Don't worry, Need for speed is not my thing. However, I do know that in most cases aftermarket wheels are better in:
1. weight
2. looks

Yes, I do care about looks. I love watching replays. And I don't want to see ugly wheels of Audi RS6, when I can have BBSs. However, I also want to have a flying lap without huge performance losses. Is it too much to ask? 16 years of no tire width options. 16 years.

Last I checked in on the issue, it was a +1 or +2 wheel size issue. Are you guys now saying that even stock sized aftermarket wheels have this bu associated with them as well?

Back