Custom wheels give all 4 tyres the same width.... changes grip and balance

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 361 comments
Noticed that my Aventador was a bit more "drifty" than I though it out to be with the setup I had put on it, so I checked the replay and noticed something didn't quite look right when I passed an AI car. (Me on the left with new rims)

That's as near as makes no difference half a wheel width missing!

Does anyone actually have confirmation that it's not just a inaccurate visual model and is actually coded incorrectly? And I don't mean people looked at the difference on screen, then thought they "felt" the difference (placebo effect is rife on the internet) but actually confirmed the coding of the game or run 50 laps back to back on tsukuba with original and then aftermarket tyres? (along with complete lap times and averaged times). Might be a good test to give credibility to whichever argument people are so vehemently supporting, and lends a lot more credence than "I changed wheels and lost 2 seconds! game is broken!".

If people are passionate enough about this issue to descend to insults, I'd imagine 100 laps around tsukuba isn't too much to ask.

Does anyone actually have confirmation that it's not just a inaccurate visual model and is actually coded incorrectly? And I don't mean people looked at the difference on screen, then thought they "felt" the difference (placebo effect is rife on the internet) but actually confirmed the coding of the game or run 50 laps back to back on tsukuba with original and then aftermarket tyres? (along with complete lap times and averaged times). Might be a good test to give credibility to whichever argument people are so vehemently supporting, and lends a lot more credence than "I changed wheels and lost 2 seconds! game is broken!".

If people are passionate enough about this issue to descend to insults, I'd imagine 100 laps around tsukuba isn't too much to ask.

It was confirmed. Some guys are getting 2-3 seconds slower times on Grand Valley.

Does anyone actually have confirmation....
The fact I am consistently 3 seconds a lap slower with custom rims on seems proof enough... and I have a fair amount of experience as well as having one of the best wheels on the market. I can feel the difference immediately - I don't need 100 laps to tell me that there is less grip; its as obvious as switching tyre compounds.

I managed to test the standard rims vs custom and although I were getting similer times, the standard rims I was going slightly quicker and felt easier to drive.

I used -

Yellow Bird in stock form Engine limiter to 50%

BTR 75%

RGT 100%

all cars were in stock form on Sports Hard tyres. I tested them all with and without the custom rims and they all seem better to drive with the standard rims.

There was another thing tested regarding tyre's today and that is the handling of the cars after changing tyres from the pits, What the OP's talk about is true I've experienced it myself with other friends after a long session tonight.

Have a little read through this thread if you dont know about it already.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-tyre-bug-on-mr-fr-cars.293953/

and

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/weird-glitch-after-pit-stops-in-online-mode.294753/

Just tested this myself, the difference is huge. My 02 NSX was very twitchy under braking, and while I kind of liked it, it kept things excited, putting on stock rims, the car is so stable and corners so well now. Same with the RUF RGT.

I tried a car without staggered wheels (99 Celica), and there was no change from stock to custom rims (from what I could tell).

PD really needs to fix this.

The fact I am consistently 3 seconds a lap slower with custom rims on seems proof enough... and I have a fair amount of experience as well as having one of the best wheels on the market. I can feel the difference immediately - I don't need 100 laps to tell me that there is less grip; its as obvious as switching tyre compounds.
hmm... oh deer

i will do my own test with an aventador.

Thanks for this thread, instability particularly under braking has been quite frustrating especially with custom rims on my mr2, gallardo and huayra. rgt has been more manageable but all cars would clearly benefit from having the same level of grip as their stock wheeled counterparts.

I tested this with a Diablo GTand was 1.8 sec slower on the Brands Hatch short track no to mention that the car was more difficult to drive. Same settings etc except for the wheel change. My main disappointment is the tyre width change doesn't just effect the handling and lap times but is clearly visable in replays and photos. I love the additional wings, kits and wheel options bit all seems a little pointless at this time. Lets hope PD sort this soon. Cheers racers.

Does anyone know if the custom rim bug just affects cars with stagger, i.e. 245 front, 265 rears => 245 front, 245 rears?

Or does it set all your tyres to some other width e.g. 225, irrespective of what the car originally has?! It's bad enough if it affects one end, but if it nerfed both it'd be even worse!

Cheers,

Bread

I have only experienced this on cars with a staggered set up. The larger the stagger the more pronouced the differrence. Also the differance was impacting rear weight biased MR more than FR or I can catch and hold the the oversteer on an FR car but very tough with an MR. In all testing I have done lap times varied from 1 to 2 secs slower up to 3, 3.5 depending on track length and engine drivetrain configeration.

Does anyone know if the custom rim bug just affects cars with stagger, i.e. 245 front, 265 rears => 245 front, 245 rears?

Or does it set all your tyres to some other width e.g. 225, irrespective of what the car originally has?! It's bad enough if it affects one end, but if it nerfed both it'd be even worse!

Cheers,

Bread
Whatever the width of the front tyres, all 4 wheels have that width after fitting custom rims, so cars with all 4 tyres the same are not affected by this bug.

i just tried a comparison with the Acura NSX 91' - no mods

with stockers, the fastest 3 laps were 1:49, 1:49 and 1:49.

with custom wheels, no inch up. fastest 3 laps were 1:49, 1:50 and 1:51

i used the NSX with the custom wheels first so my stock wheel laps would of been more consistent. i dont think their is a grip difference on the NSX.

by the way, i lined them both up on photomode and the NSX with the stock wheels definitely has wider tread than the one with stock wheels.

Noticed that my Aventador was a bit more "drifty" than I though it out to be with the setup I had put on it, so I checked the replay and noticed something didn't quite look right when I passed an AI car. (Me on the left with new rims)

That's as near as makes no difference half a wheel width missing!

now THAT just looks stupid funny :P

i just tried a comparison with the Acura NSX 91' - no mods

with stockers, the fastest 3 laps were 1:49, 1:49 and 1:49.

with custom wheels, no inch up. fastest 3 laps were 1:49, 1:50 and 1:51

i used the NSX with the custom wheels first so my stock wheel laps would of been more consistent. i dont think their is a grip difference on the NSX.

by the way, i lined them both up on photomode and the NSX with the stock wheels definitely has wider tread than the one with stock wheels.
205/50/15 front vs 225/50/16 rear.
Wonder if the glitch puts a 205 tire on the wider rear rim?

I tend to find that anything up around an inch shows little difference, if anything at all, on my tests. Anything beyond that though gets very tricky, very quickly!

I tend to look at the stock rear in the wheel shop, note the position of the inside edge and then add the new rims. Exit the shop and then go back in to "refresh" the wheels and recheck their inside edge location. If it's way off, it comes off!

205/50/15 front vs 225/50/16 rear.
Wonder if the glitch puts a 205 tire on the wider rear rim?

No doubt that´s what happened. And in that car it doesn´t do "that much" of a difference because of the low power, and the minimal difference in tire width. But in cars with a 335 rear section, vs a 245 front, you could imagine.

And when that kind of cars have 500 hp+ it´s quite a problem.

Has anyone been able to get Kaz/PD's attention on this? A simple statement "Yes, we are aware and are working on a fix" will work at this point for me, but if this drags on far into January I'm going to grow more concerned because this is only one of a number of bugs PD didn't notice assuming they did any testing pre-release.

Wow thats quite a big bug. Maybe for the time being it can be "solved" by puting softer rear tires.
I'm waiting to get my copy :banghead: so I can't test if that would "solve" it. Anyways it's just an idea.

I'm glad I'm seeing this before I get the game, but I swear PD don't even test their games before release.

This is just... ugh.

Standard cars? Fine, I'd rather have standards models than have those cars missing. Missing interiors on some cars? Whatever, hood cam works too. Crap sounds 90 percent of the time? I've been playing GT my whole life, I'm used to it.
But as someone who loves MR and RR cars, this is terrible and will be hard to deal with. How did this oversight even happen?

On the plus side, tire width is simulated, now let us change the widths on our tires already.

Wow thats quite a big bug. Maybe for the time being it can be "solved" by puting softer rear tires.
I'm waiting to get my copy :banghead: so I can't test if that would "solve" it. Anyways it's just an idea.

It's easily solved it by re-fitting the stock rims.

Putting on softer compound rear tyres creates understeer.

On a side note, it seems the Ford GT40 Road Car is completely unaffected as it retains its staggered stance.

I'll be on the look-out for other cars unaffected by this glitch.

This seems like a small addition of code to rectify but a great deal of testing to ensure that it doesn't break anything. A few lines forcing custom wheels to adhere to same width as original wheels and both inch up should do the same and then add in a few more to increase width of wheels on a per car basis, some cars are already at their limits like the Viper rear tires but PD should really fix the whole wheel change thing. Honestly wheel changes do change a lot about the car, many super cars run taller front tires than rear S7 runs tall fronts and wide rears. PD needs to give us more control over wheel sizes and stop doing size changes as a whole thing and allow front and rears to be increased separately both width and diameter.

Another thing which I find odd is many of the old school muscle cars(if not all) can't get much in the way of increased wheel sizes, which is not cool at all considering that the old boys can get rather meaty wheels on them so we can run low profile wheels so we have less tire flex whilst cornering. PD must have closed their eyes at Yokohama's manufacturing, they obviously make tires to fit big wheels and those wheels do fit muscle cars. I would love to put some 225's on the rear of that Shelby 350 to keep it's power on the road and not up in tire smoke.

One weird thing I noticed is with the new suspension geometry and tire simulation, wouldn't aerial trips be far more violent when landing, especially in road cars with their mushy suspensions. They should add damage so all that leaping off the road really causes undercarriage damage, especially when bottoming out. Too bad PD didn't model tire flex, it would be hilarious to see a Charger landing from a jump and it's tires flexing then rebounding faster than the suspension can cope with the weight that compressed the suspension and the car going bonkers when that energy is rebounded. Would make for some better driving as most would avoid launching their cars into the air with reckless abandon. Come on PD just dig a little deeper and give us some more depth in realism and tuning.

Back