Cut corner penalties: what rules should GTS adapt?

What should be defined as cutting corners in GTS across all circuits?

• Total voters
I’d love to see some track limits info as a loading screen or part of the circuit experience. Make that more circuit training. In addition to some of the great ideas here I think Assetto Corsa is a good model for how to penalize track limit abuse.

Edit - forgot to add I’d like to see the limits as an option to set across the whole game, Campaign, Time trial, wherever.
Yeah, learning track limits in circuit experience would be very important. For example, in Sarthe, in some corners, there is tons of space to widen up a corner. If you have the car stability, then the track limits are surprisingly wide.

Perhaps a two-strike system for two wheels off the line, depending on the advantage gained (i.e. maybe beyond 2 wheels + half the width of the car over the limits).

Minimally they should carry the time penalties to the end rather than being served mid-race to cut down on the loss, particularly in official races.

Ultimately, learning the track to its limits is what it defines racing.

Perhaps the boundaries and penalties assessed are consistent to real-world versus fantasy tracks? It seems the developers maintained the boundaries used in real world as boundaries in game. It also seems the fantasy tracks are more leniant, maybe because they at one point served an arcade function in the game and might again in future installments?

I have not noticed any inconsistency in enforcement when considering corner on an individual level. Real world tracks seem to have different but similar approaches; Lines = track boundary. The 'Ring seems to have easier penalty serving capability than Monza. But then again, the penalty serving looks dependant on your pace so slower paced drivers may find it easier to serve penalties than faster drivers.

Red Bull Ring is awful on track boundaries. All top 10 America times in race A have cars going clear to the wall/physical track boundary in the last 2 corners without penalty. The top 10 board is a joke.

I honestly don't care that much as long as it is consistent and you can check them easily. having a mode showing you the actual limits for a fiven track would actually be great.

Red Bull Ring is awful on track boundaries. All top 10 America times in race A have cars going clear to the wall/physical track boundary in the last 2 corners without penalty. The top 10 board is a joke.

That line was figured out almosy 5 months ago. If there was a way to tell PD about certain exploits that I know about I would. It’s PD’s fault and no one else’s. As obvious as the Top 10 being full of exploits every time (which is more than once given how repetitive the weekly races are) a certain combo comes up, we go months without anything changing. If you don’t take your game seriously you can’t blame the players for not either.

Last edited:
Is there a technical/programming issue that would keep PD from setting reasonable track limits? 2 wheels inside the white lines and kerbs is widely accepted. I don't believe they dont know this. Is it that hard to program?

Is there a technical/programming issue that would keep PD from setting reasonable track limits? 2 wheels inside the white lines and kerbs is widely accepted. I don't believe they dont know this. Is it that hard to program?

Some fantasy tracks haven’t been designed for white line limits. For example on the entry of the dragon trail chicane, there are wide curbs that stick out onto the race track, it wouldn’t make sense to around them because they are so far from the wall. Alsace has white lines that are distanced from the actual curbing which would require you to purposely be driving a wide line.

I think the corner cutting penalties (less than two wheels on what is deemed 'track') are pretty consistent, the one that winds me up is 'track limits' if I wanted to exploit some limits I would play GTA 🤬:banghead:

I think the corner cutting penalties (less than two wheels on what is deemed 'track') are pretty consistent, the one that winds me up is 'track limits' if I wanted to exploit some limits I would play GTA 🤬:banghead:

Have you watched a top 10 replay for the current Daily A race?

The penalties need to be increased again next to fixing track limits. Sarthe has improved a bit with the final chicane 'fixed' however too many people factor in track penalties to get a faster time in race. You can go as wide as you want at Tetre Rough and only incur 0.5 sec. Not only is that 0.5 sec easily lost at the Porsche curves or the next Dunlop, you already gain more especially if that helps you catch the draft of a car that did adhere to track limits.

Also you can still cut the chicanes without penalties when you overshoot and brake extra to get back on the track for the second part. While you technically don't gain time, I've seen and been passed like that many times on Sarthe with a car diving past to then brake extra and block to avoid a penalty while completing the 'pass'.

Consistency is needed. Go outside the track limits (on your own, not bumped), make it 1 sec at least plus whatever the game thinks you gained or SR Down. Hitting a wall costs 5 sec (or SR Down on pit entry) while it slows you down, why let you get away with short cuts that don't gain time (at least no time by whatever weird standards the game uses) Actually the wall in the Porsche curves doesn't give a penalty anymore, however getting bumped into the wall at Indianapolis and coming to a complete standstill can give you 5 sec wall penalty. No consistency.

Latest Posts

Back