"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of it is psychology
Absolutely. I've been nervous of trying TCS 0 for fear of not being able to control the car.

I'm going to commit to practicing with it on and off so I can get a definitive answer to the only question that matters - what makes me faster? And I think I have to invest a decent amount of time and not pack it in the first time I bin it coming out of a turn:lol:

So apologies in advance to anyone who finds me squirming around on track:cheers:

Re the other comment about an Interlagos challenge it was already done in a Beardo lobby with some weird custom bop Porsche.

Weird? It was glorious!

and accurate . .

R82WR7c.png

Questioning my BoP skills. Pfffft.

tenor.gif

Sure it is bubba.
Re the other comment about an Interlagos challenge it was already done in a Beardo lobby with some weird custom bop Porsche.
After two arduous hours or whatever @Pigems beat me at the line by a few tenths. So there ya go.
I think people at this point don’t really care. But when a person has posted faster laps on qual every week for like a year than you saying they use tcs because they can’t control the car is ridiculous.
Smh

It’s argumentative rude just dumber than dirt.

Sigh... Here we go again with GF the GT Racing GOAT. Never lost an argument with his signature move..

I AM RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO.

We still allowed daily updates here?! Kidding!
Tough combos for me this week. Race C I'm too slow and was put in lobbies I'd no right being in. Some S and A+ guys who are lightyears ahead of me.
Tried race B but I've never been good at this layout. Said it before and know it's unpopular, but give me the reverse layout any day of the week over this!
Overall, lost a chunk of DR, once more dropped from A to B and feel like I should probably bin the dailies for this week because I feel like I could sink further still. Had been hoping that as I plummeted I might get slightly more favourable lobbies but not to be.

It is not my intention to drag this debate out, I work on new ways to improve my driving all the time and TCS is my next hurdle.

Thank you, perfect reply to help me in my racing. I have been working on throttle control for while (L2/R2), shifting using L1/R1, and steering L3. I stopped using X/O a while back because of exactly what you said - 0% -> 100% with it being hard to feather (actually trail braking was extremely hard using X/O but easier now with L2/R2). Thank you again.
@Timm Sheehan I am on a pad like you. I am also old and has some problems with worn finger joints but I run TCS0.
I will happily hop in a custom lobby with you to practice this skill together.
You know I am no alien and that I'm not all that fast. Maybe we can help each other grow

I use the DS4, triggers for gas/brake, X and square for gears and left stick for steering.
And sensitivity on 7

TCS 1 is my happy spot for more backend happy cars, where TCS 0 for the more stable ones on the controller. Is just the range of motion available on a DS controller is lower than a set of pedals so I just can't control it that well. When I used to play with pedals on the PS3, I can easily achieve like 30% or 50% throttle without much effort. With controller nowadays, I struggle to get the right kind of throttle that I want.

Last edited:
I personally prefer TCS 0 for all cars. It fits my driving style and I like having full control of my throttle.

But let’s not forget that in F1 TCS is banned for a reason. GT’s TCS is rudimentary at best, and due to that the optimal speed is at TCS 0. But in the real world a proper race spec TCS system will beat any driver without question.

I can't seem to qualify better than 1:57.x. It's usually my stronger point but not for Maggiore. But I'm getting some much needed practice in overtaking people (aka avoiding the ghosts).

Go to search and use the tags NSX, DS4 to find my QT replay.
Pay attention to braking points and race lines

Had to go To my folks house after work this morning to help my dad with a fence. Drove by Willow Springs about an hour ago on my way up. I think we’re do for a good willow springs combo. A group 2 race C should fit the bill nicely

When Big Willow shows up in daily races, so do I. :D

1 of 2 tracks in the game of which I have real miles on
Turn 8-9 pucker factor every lap !

But makes for a good highlight reel. :lol:

Also, TCS2 or nothing at all. No point in using anything higher than 2, and TCS1 doesn't prevent you from spinning so why have it on?

When I first started the game, I had to use TCS. After some testing, I figured out the same thing, TCS 2 or off. One doesn't save you like 2 & 3 cuts in too early. Now I only run TCS on street cars with sport tires or Gr. 2 & faster cars. A few weeks ago with Gr. 2 @ DTS, I could still feel the car trying to rotate, even with TCS 2. My brain had become adept to this setup & let me catch up to win from a miserable start.

Pigems I tried a wheel and I think my real world experience hurt me. I have a little track time under my belt and the wheel and pedals i was using were just abysmal, ZERO feel, pedals especially, i had NO IDEA where they were travel wise. SO I bailed on that after 50 hours practice, i was just getting nowhere.

The human brain is a neural net processor: a learning computer. As much as you know your real vehicle from having driven it so much, the brain will still learn the pedals of your gaming rig. You have to trust.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the effort. I did understand what happened to the distribution of the braking force, but hadn't been able to link it tot the different type of cars and trailbraking. I'll have to look into that a bit more, probably ending up in way too deep, pretending to understand what they're talking about :)

The best way to figure out what works is to practice. I suggest doing offline time trials. That's what I did. But I'll also tell you, if you want to enjoy the daily races, & you choose a race where you use a garage car, don't be afraid to try a few different cars before jumping in.

TCS Question - I was wondering if running TCS 0 is harder on a DS4 than a rig setup? How about when first learning to race with TCS 0?

I (DS4 user) ask because I have practicing for the Daily C race (with TCS 0) and the rear end of the Supra is sliding all over the place. When I turn on TCS 2 (my comfortable setting) I seem to be able to control the rear end more (meaning less sliding).

In my experience, the DS4 can be a little more difficult to learn no TCS on. I went for almost a year & a half before giving it a serious try to go TCS off. One of my first "tricks" to throttle control was noticing when the rear was getting out of line. This was typically when exiting a corner. I would take my thumb off the throttle (X/[] user here) & shift up a gear. Tires stop spinning, car accelerates, & I likely had to catch up to some car that I was chasing. :dunce: But, if I was running the N-class races this week, TCS on. Street tires don't grip worth a damn in this game.

Go to search and use the tags NSX, DS4 to find my QT replay.
Pay attention to braking points and race lines
I will check it out, thanks.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a Race B with some good fun racing with a variety of cars, come on down to high C. Be careful of low B on the way; that area is full of sociopaths. I even lost 15 SR in one lap and I didn't even do anything.

Last edited:
But when a person has posted faster laps on qual every week for like a year than you saying they use tcs because they can’t control the car is ridiculous.
Smh

Not sure what your point is here. :boggled: I think you misunderstood my post. If you're referring to me posting faster laps it's because I don't use TCS. All I was saying is if you need it, use it. But be aware it will keep you from reaching your full potential.

Edit: Just noticed this is my post #420. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. :D

Last edited:
Just an abysmal 2 nights at LM, bled 5000 points so far. I either get punted when running top 5 or I make errors in the mid field and finish near last. I have not been feeling great so my concentration is poor and I really need to concentrate at LM as I am slow there.

Got my qualy down to a 55.6 but still struggle in the race, really struggle.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a Race B with some good fun racing with a variety of cars, come on down to high C. Be careful of low B on the way; that area is full of sociopaths. I even lost 15 SR in one lap and I didn't even do anything.
What counts as "low B"? I'm DR 16k (low-ish B?) and my races there have been civilized, clean, and fair racing. There's been a few shenanigans out the back of the field, like there often is, but I've mostly enjoyed my races in the B-ranked lobbies.

Last edited:
My low B account has had some good races, as I'm starting near the front and if I can survive the first few corners the racing has been great. The Corvette has been good, though a bit tail-happy in the first 3 turns.

My higher B account has been terrible though. The same qualifying time has me starting near the back and often getting taken out via some dirty driving. Looking up various names on Kudos, most of the bad ones have won many hundreds of races, but never had a high SR until the last 2 weeks - wonder why that is? :confused::crazy:

Right, off to try Race C - still 4.5 seconds off the top times but hoping there will some attrition at the front..

Here are 2 clips from the Yamagiwa Gr.3 race last month.
In each of them, I was using TCS 3, and had my races ruined by people who clearly were not using TCS.
I couldn't care less what driving aides people use, until they create hazards for others.

Like Winnie said, since I use X button throttle, there's no way for me to competently drive a 500+ hp car without TCS.
For street cars under 300 hp, I can usually figure out how make it work.
That's why if you ever see me with a good Q time, it will almost always be at race A.
In summary, I need TCS...... sometimes. :indiff: :lol:

Last edited:
Here are 2 clips from the Yamagiwa Gr.3 race last month.
In each of them, I was using TCS 3, and had my races ruined by people who clearly were not using TCS.
I couldn't care less what driving aides people use, until they create hazards for others.

Like Winnie said, since I use X button throttle, there's no way for me to competently drive a 500+ hp car without TCS.
For street cars under 300 hp, I can usually figure out how make it work.
That's why if you ever see me with a good Q time, it will almost always be at race A.
In summary, I need TCS...... sometimes. :indiff: :lol:

Those clips are the epitome of what was wrong with the penalty system before the last update. What on earth did you apparently do to justify those penalties?

I really hope that the current free for all is effectively a test so that PD can gather data and try to find a middle ground.

Those clips are the epitome of what was wrong with the penalty system before the last update. What on earth did you apparently do to justify those penalties?

I really hope that the current free for all is effectively a test so that PD can gather data and try to find a middle ground.
He managed to clip the rear quarters of the cars that spun out in front of him so the game reads that as he knocked them off the track. Thank the lord they changed the settings so that doesn't happen anymore!

What counts as "low B"? I'm DR 16k (low-ish B?) and my races there have been civilized, clean, and fair racing. There's been a few shenanigans out the back of the field, like there often is, but I've mostly enjoyed my races in the B-ranked lobbies.

Like, really low B. I don't quite understand the DR system. At the beginning of last night, I was in mid C. My car number was typically 1 or 2 in each of the races I took part in. Good racing but with poor qualifying came results ranging from 5th to 10th.

I then somehow ended up in B and two races later I was in a lobby that had the worst drivers I've ever seen. Massive SR loss. But if what you say is true, I will keep cracking at it. I was really hoping it's not a sign of things to come.

Like, really low B. I don't quite understand the DR system. At the beginning of last night, I was in mid C. My car number was typically 1 or 2 in each of the races I took part in. Good racing but with poor qualifying came results ranging from 5th to 10th.

I then somehow ended up in B and two races later I was in a lobby that had the worst drivers I've ever seen. Massive SR loss. But if what you say is true, I will keep cracking at it. I was really hoping it's not a sign of things to come.
I'm not saying there's no ruffians higher up the DR rankings in B, I've just not encountered any this week in Race B...

There is a thread somewhere with all the details @Famine knows.

A quick explanation.

Door numbers mean little when you or other in the room are below DR.B (below 10,000 DR)
Door number is your DR reverse sorted alphabetically, 9 gets door number one, 8,000 comes after 900, etc.

The formula for DR is

You gain 80 points from each driver you finish ahead of, adjusted for the difference in your DR vs the other driver's DR

80 + (DR difference / 500) for each driver.

If your DR is higher you get less points (minimum 1)
If your DR is lower you get more points (maximum 160)

It's a zero sum exchange, so in reverse you give 80 points to each driver you finish behind.
(You can't end up below 1 yet still give out the points you owe, technically not zero sum, point inflation happens at the bottom)
Disconnecting counts as finishing last (you still give points to those who do stay connected until the end)

To get off the ground, you'll need to finish about half way up. It depends on the room though and who you beat. If you get matched with an A/S driver who crashes or disconnect, you'll get 160 points from that driver alone.

SR is a tricky subject especially now penalties have harsh SR deductions while still being assigned wrong far more often than not.
SR is the first factor in matchmaking and is the reason why the competition often seems completely unfair.

Any SR Down (penalty or not), getting the orange SR Down arrow for contact with another car deducts 10 SR.
Race A and B usually only give out 4 to 6 SR for a clean race, Race C nowadays is worth around 12 points per race.
This combined with penalties being assigned wrongly most of the time, does not guarantee any better racing at SR.S than at SR.C :/

In my experience, racing as DR.B SR.C is much better nowadays than at DR.A SR.S, sad but it's been like that for a couple months now.
Time of day, whether you do Race A/B or C make a big difference in where your SR goes, it has little left to do with sportmanship or driving by generally accepted racing rules. https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

Matchmaking works by collecting all entries between 90 and 99 SR, sort on DR, create rooms.
Then collect all entries between 80 and 89 SR, sort on DR, add the highest DR to the left over spots in the last room created and continue.

This results in for example getting rooms like
1. A+/S90+ to B/S90+
2. B/S90+ to D/S90+
3. A+/S80+ with D/S90+ (the last D/S90+ room had spots left over which get filled with the highest DR in 80-89 range creating a A+ with D room)
4. A/S80+ to C/S80+
5. A/S70+ with C/S80+ to D/S80+ (the last 80-89 SR room had spots left over which get filled by the highest DR in 70-79 range)
etc

Matchmaking only really works in the 90 to 99 SR room, the rest all easily get messed up due to how the server fills up rooms.
Still when there aren't that many entries the top room is usually A+/S90+ to D/S90+, you don't stand a chance.

SR.B is the largest group, which makes the competition the closest. Most people to choose from to make evenly matched rooms. That is, if it weren't for DR resets and alt accounts coming through. (people that are labeled DR.B but drive like DR.A or A+)

Closer matched in pace also means more chance at contact and bad penalties, hence SR.B is such a difficult place to advance from.

Head spinning yet?

Don't worry too much about SR, D/S is the most demotivating place to be, usually getting matched with rabbits that are impossible to catch leading to getting timed out before the finish. D/S is only good for maintaining SR.99 since the field spreads out so quickly reducing chance of contact.

This is exactly why I've started ignoring the allocated race number and just focus on trying to get the best result I possibly can by finding the best car and qually time I can manage and keeping my races clean. Whatever happens, happens.
Yeah, I've always set my goal to be top 5, and failing that, top 10. I pretend I'm a part of a start up team using bank loans we have no way of paying back but we take dirt cheap sponsors (hence the amount of decals on my liveries).

Thanks, @Pigems for linking the explanation. It makes a lot of sense. I don't want to get "ladder anxiety" in this game as I have in other games. The good thing is that this system allows for upward mobility, as opposed to games that lock you in a rank the more you play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back