"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
First race of the new race week and it's time to match the Hatch! I went in with both boots with a snarling rexy. There's just something about the sound of a boxer with unsymmetrical headers that puts a smile on my dial. My qualifying time was not the greatest, and I knew I had it in me to grab another second, but this is not called Qualifying B, it's called Race B, so shut up and race :P! It was looking at P7/16, but that changed to P4/11 on a grid of all D/S. Happy with that!

And off we go in another episode of Wacky Racers! The dash for crash at T1 was the usual mayhem. I had someone out brake me and crowbar his way up the inside as I was turning in, so orange SR for me, but no time penalty. They then proceeded to try and block me, until they tried to out brake themselves and ended up in the sand ;). I found I seemed to carry more speed through Hawthorn than most of the other people in my race.

A couple of other people ahead came off at various laps and I focused more on staying on the black stuff. Final laps and I was just trying to stay calm and not blow any of the corners I know I'm bit weak in. Crossed the line P3 with no penalties!

Got my 2 missing SR points back and DR went up from 3957 to 5889 :D. My 7th expedition into DR/C begins :scared:.

Got my 2 missing SR points back and DR went up from 3957 to 5889 :D. My 7th expedition into DR/C begins :scared:.

Exactly the same thing going on here. I love those 2K points jumps as you dip in and out of class. Getting my SR back from 71 to 90 cost me a DR drop from 6K to 4.8 being that I was a little cautious, giving up places to avoid contact. My few races in Bathurst were neutral, with me starting back in the grid and finishing +3 or 4 places up so my poor qualification was negated by my gain in position. End result was I neither gained nor lost DR points. I'm expecting that if I can't place well in the next race I'll be back at 3K points if I'm not careful.

Anyone know what's doing well at Brands so far today?

I did a couple Brand's races earlier. I jumped in straight away, no qualify or practice as usual and started with a nice power slide through T3. Calming the car down a bit I made it to 5th with clean race bonus. Then another 6th place, 7th and 6th again. Brand's is easy to make up positions from people driving off the road. However matchmaking early in the day is bad for DR as overall I went down another 500 points while making up 7 positions per race on average. I need more laps to make this starting from last earn points.

At least it's closer to an 8 minute race, up from less than 7 minutes in last weeks daily B :/ It could have easily been 10 laps. Do people in SR.D take 15 minutes to complete 6 laps? I think not. Maybe it would be fun to turn the daily B into short 12 minute endurance races. Then it's always over in time, faster rooms get to race more laps.

Maybe it would be fun to turn the daily B into short 12 minute endurance races. Then it's always over in time, faster rooms get to race more laps.

Excellent Idea! You could split hairs over a 12 to 15 mins duration but anything long enough to justify the effort of actually racing yet still be able to matchmake, get into lobby, warm up (not sure this is really needed), race, have time for post race handbags, and log into another race within a 20 min turn around time. 3 laps of Bathurst was more like a teaser than a real race.

Correct me if I’m wrong but previously on daily races PD have changed the gearbox to be sequential in order to cancel out this advantage. The particular example I have in mind was the Fiat 500s at no chicane Monza. Is this not the case in Daily C?
I think they change the gear ratios according to the track, you can only use the clutch with the standard gearbox. There are times when they leave it stock. I’ve only ever done daily races with it a couple of times and yes it does give you a slight advantage but if you mistime your shift, you end up in neutral and lose pace. It’s really awkward to reshift and get going again.

Man, when people say it’s hard to get your SR up when you’re down in the B SR range, they aren’t joking. I’m at a B right now with a B DR. I’m a clean driver and hit a rough patch where nothing was going right which dropped my SR. Even though I race clean, there always seems to be one instance every single race where someone does something to ruin a possible clean race. Had it happen last night when I was chasing someone down at Bathurst on the last lap. He tried to kill off a penalty on the final turn and broke way early and I ended up bumping into him a bit from behind, but it was very light and didn’t do anything. Then he tried to kill off the rest coming out of the turn which allowed me to gain on him and get side by side. I had the speed to make the pass and it was going to be a clear win for me, but the guy pushes me from the middle of the track all the way to the inside wall. Luckily he slowed up again to kill off yet another penalty before the line, and I was able to pass him for the win, but my clean race bonus went out the window. Then today, I get turned around in turn one of Brands Hatch by someone who was half in the grass, and then on the last lap someone, yet again, didn’t like being passed coming out of turn four so they put me in the grass.

My SR is slowly creeping up and it’s blue for most of my races but it’s so hard when you have to walk of eggshells. Even when you hang back and don’t push too hard, there always seems to be someone with a target on you.

6BK
Excellent Idea! You could split hairs over a 12 to 15 mins duration but anything long enough to justify the effort of actually racing yet still be able to matchmake, get into lobby, warm up (not sure this is really needed), race, have time for post race handbags, and log into another race within a 20 min turn around time. 3 laps of Bathurst was more like a teaser than a real race.

PD could streamline the whole thing a lot better. Entry closes when there's still 1 minute left on the countdown giving matchmaking a full minute to make up it's mind before you even get to join a race. Then you have to wait for the track to load. Why not start loading the track as soon as the entry closes (or as soon as you enter a race) and show the matchmaking results after a minute to load the liveries and cars of the selected players directly after. Warm-up is pretty pointless at 1 minute, reduce the greeting phase to 30 seconds and speed up the whole start sequence.

Currently the race doiesn't actually start until 4 minutes after the entry closes. That can be reduced to 2 minutes.
Take off 2 minutes for post race chat and another minute for everyone to finish and the actual race can last 15 minutes.

Also, why can't you simply re-enter for the next race and switch to qualifying without reloading the track. Why does it need to reload the track for the race if you were qualifying, Why can't you keep qualifying until warm-up closes, load the other cars and liveries in the background while you keep driving. Why is PD so terrible at multi tasking software!

Take off 2 minutes for post race chat

Agreed accept for the post race chat. The game would lose all of the warm and fuzzy GT character if we couldn’t accuse everyone else post race, flame anything that moved to the usual “who me?” and “what you talkin’ about” replies and apologies for lag, bad driving and bad breath.

Man, when people say it’s hard to get your SR up when you’re down in the B SR range, they aren’t joking. I’m at a B right now with a B DR. I’m a clean driver and hit a rough patch where nothing was going right which dropped my SR. Even though I race clean, there always seems to be one instance every single race where someone does something to ruin a possible clean race. Had it happen last night when I was chasing someone down at Bathurst on the last lap. He tried to kill off a penalty on the final turn and broke way early and I ended up bumping into him a bit from behind, but it was very light and didn’t do anything. Then he tried to kill off the rest coming out of the turn which allowed me to gain on him and get side by side. I had the speed to make the pass and it was going to be a clear win for me, but the guy pushes me from the middle of the track all the way to the inside wall. Luckily he slowed up again to kill off yet another penalty before the line, and I was able to pass him for the win, but my clean race bonus went out the window. Then today, I get turned around in turn one of Brands Hatch by someone who was half in the grass, and then on the last lap someone, yet again, didn’t like being passed coming out of turn four so they put me in the grass.

My SR is slowly creeping up and it’s blue for most of my races but it’s so hard when you have to walk of eggshells. Even when you hang back and don’t push too hard, there always seems to be someone with a target on you.

I made 36 SR upwards in two races, it is possible ( race b )

I’ve started going to group GTSR counseling down the local youth center. We introduce ourselves by our off line first name only so it’s absolutely anonymous. That helps in case you happened to rear end the guy on the chair beside you in yesterday’s Daily B. We start by telling everyone how many races it’s been since our last clean race. Then we discuss our own personal horror stories. My sponsor is a cool guy, though he does make me wear a jacket with his livery on it. There is this one guy there who has an SR of 99. I reckon he doesn’t really have a problem but is lonely and enjoys listening to everyone else’s sad stories.

If you want to get your SR up without tanking your DR, don't always try to pass people who are faster than you or marginally slower. If your following a decent driver and your not getting any pressure from behind, just chill. Hit your breaking points, draft, race clean, don't make the guy in front of you go defensive slowing you both and making you vulnerable to attack from behind. Try and stay out of hard fought battles and be patient let the race come to you. Brands is so technical that if you just stay on track you can be top 5 most of the time.

6BK
Agreed accept for the post race chat. The game would lose all of the warm and fuzzy GT character if we couldn’t accuse everyone else post race, flame anything that moved to the usual “who me?” and “what you talkin’ about” replies and apologies for lag, bad driving and bad breath.

I meant take it off the 20 minutes between races, keep the drama :lol:
20 minutes minus 2 post race, 1 waiting for players to finish and the result screen, 2 for race to start -> 15 minutes to race.

Also why not add the ability to re-enter the race in the post race chat, or even set it as default if you don't leave. Stick around until matchmaking switches players around. It's usually the same lot anyway bar a few that got their SR demoted. It shouldn't be any different than a lobby with the exception that the server gets to switch players around when matchmaking. A simple button press, "ready for next race" should be all you need to do after a race, then qualify (or argue with other players) until that next race starts.

Perhaps PD isn't very confident in their software and there are massive memory leaks or some other reason that the game needs to reload everything between races all the time. Heck, I need to restart the whole game every 2 races for matchmaking to keep working :banghead:

If you want to get your SR up without tanking your DR, don't always try to pass people who are faster than you or marginally slower. If your following a decent driver and your not getting any pressure from behind, just chill. Hit your breaking points, draft, race clean, don't make the guy in front of you go defensive slowing you both and making you vulnerable to attack from behind. Try and stay out of hard fought battles and be patient let the race come to you. Brands is so technical that if you just stay on track you can be top 5 most of the time.

Yup! Plus, when a faster car goes off and you pass it they will usually catch you again. Watch your tail, let it pass instead of frustrating the faster driver and use his draft to pull you up the track.

I made 36 SR upwards in two races, it is possible ( race b )

Oh yes it’s definitely possible. I’ve just been doing race B all day since I have the day off, Brands Hatch GP is one of my favorite tracks, and I love Gr. 3. I got my SR up to an A about an hour ago but the next race I did, I got divebombed into turn one on lap one, got pushed into the grass after turn four while making a pass, then got brake checked twice by that same guy after I caught up to him at the end of that lap, causing me to hit him and receive a penalty which ultimately dropped by SR back down to B even though the rest of the race was clean. Having an SR in this range is so frustrating :banghead::lol:

I get what you’re saying, and it certainly makes sense. The only problem I’m having right now is that I really don’t belong in DR B. I’m not insanely fast by any means and I’m not trying to gloat, but I probably belong in DR A racing against other A’s and S’s since I can be fairly quick consistently enough and hit my marks when on, so I find myself being one of the fastest drivers on track right now even if I don’t push overly hard. I put in a 1.25.7 in a Vette for the Brands Hatch qualifying which has started me top five almost every race, and I find myself finishing top five as well. The issue I’m having almost always comes on lap one when people divebomb into turns one and two. After that, I catch and pass slower drivers and pull away from them as well without any incidents whatsoever. It’s just that the first lap has been a killer for me :(

In race A I started off pretty bad the first couple of races, SR went to A after the first race, managed to finish 5th. The next race I got my rating back to S because I stopped messing up so much trying to keep pace, but I was still struggling a little in traffic. I finally got my first win (55th) of the day on my 5th try after many podiums.

Oh yes it’s definitely possible. I’ve just been doing race B all day since I have the day off, Brands Hatch GP is one of my favorite tracks, and I love Gr. 3. I got my SR up to an A about an hour ago but the next race I did, I got divebombed into turn one on lap one, got pushed into the grass after turn four while making a pass, then got brake checked twice by that same guy after I caught up to him at the end of that lap, causing me to hit him and receive a penalty which ultimately dropped by SR back down to B even though the rest of the race was clean. Having an SR in this range is so frustrating :banghead::lol:

I get what you’re saying, and it certainly makes sense. The only problem I’m having right now is that I really don’t belong in DR B. I’m not insanely fast by any means and I’m not trying to gloat, but I probably belong in DR A racing against other A’s and S’s since I can be fairly quick consistently enough and hit my marks when on, so I find myself being one of the fastest drivers on track right now even if I don’t push overly hard. I put in a 1.25.7 in a Vette for the Brands Hatch qualifying which has started me top five almost every race, and I find myself finishing top five as well. The issue I’m having almost always comes on lap one when people divebomb into turns one and two. After that, I catch and pass slower drivers and pull away from them as well without any incidents whatsoever. It’s just that the first lap has been a killer for me :(

Run race C x 3-4 times you will be back to SR S in no time, staying there is then the next skill to master, the incidents your describing nearly always have a way to avoid. Its also a good idead to avoid the sport mode races that destroy SR if you want to remain at SR S.

Also if you believe you should be racing DR A’s set a faster qually time, you should be beating B’s.

Yup your qualifying is same as mine. Hang in there you won't always get dive bombed and on those races don't blow it. Try a different time of day when the rammers have gone to bed?

Run race C x 3-4 times you will be back to SR S in no time, staying there is then the next skill to master, the incidents your describing nearly always have a way to avoid. Its also a good idead to avoid the sport mode races that destroy SR if you want to remain at SR S.

Also if you believe you should be racing DR A’s set a faster qually time, you should be beating B’s.

I’ll give that a shot. I’m not really a fan of the races with fuel consumption and tire wear that are short, I’m more into longer endurance racing if those things are a factor. But I’ll still give it a go.

I’m almost certain that I would be able to stay there if I can get to an S rating. I race in a league where clean racing is a priority so I’m very used to it and have no problem with doing it. It’s just that going from the league to online is night and day since no one is predictable in how they drive. It’s like breaking points and turn in’s are a foreign concept online. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to avoid the incidents I’ve encoumtered either. Literally every single one is someone either diveboming even though I’m right on the inside line/curbing (they will go into the grass if they have to in order to push their way through) or pushing me off the track while side by side. Then there’s a couple where people break way too early or erratically which causes me to not know where they’re going or what they’re doing. I also have set the fastest time I possibly could, I’m assuming some cars or just quicker than others but I’m within a couple tenths of a second of the two or three cars that start in front of me. I also am beating B drivers without a problem. I’ve been starting in the top five and finishing top five or top three and have won a few races so far, and even when I get taken out on the first lap and end up at the back of the field I still manage to finish close to top five by the end.

Yup your qualifying is same as mine. Hang in there you won't always get dive bombed and on those races don't blow it. Try a different time of day when the rammers have gone to bed?

Maybe that’s a possibility. I haven’t played sport mode a ton so I’m not aware of the best times to drive. I feel like if I can get five to ten fairly clean races in a row I should get out of the hole I’m in. I’m just in sort of a weird spot where I’m quick and clean but have to deal with others who aren’t and are instead careless.

I’ll give that a shot. I’m not really a fan of the races with fuel consumption and tire wear that are short, I’m more into longer endurance racing if those things are a factor. But I’ll still give it a go.

No need to pit, drive 80-90% of your fastest one of the easier tyre wear/fuel races. Just look after front left tyre by not over braking on it.

So.. I had a go at race C using my TH8. I clearly had an advantage over the opposition. Qualified on pole and I was nearly 10 seconds clear of P2 at the end. It did feel a bit like cheating but just look at what it’s done to the graph:
A4BAAF7B-B7EA-4946-A2ED-675BFAAF3E90.png

If you look carefully you can see the drop in my SR due to the new rules, where everyone gets punished for any kind of cantact if it was your fault or not. Still not quite where I want to be but it’s going in the right direction at last.

PD are selling themselves short by not allowing garage cars in race A. The livery editor was the biggest step forward in GT Sport, they need to let players show it off.

I'm also using a controller, and murdering my front tyres in race C.

What is the problem with PD network? 2 of 3 race b were disconnected during matchup period. Raced once in the last 1 hour. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Waste of time :ouch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back