"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find any rhythm at Leguna Seca. I can go a few laps before I dip a tire in the sand or completely run wide coming out of turns, and that's going to do me no favors during a race. I'm trying to push my driving ability and find some time, but I'm pushing too much and can't keep in on the track. I should focus on consistent lap times, but I can't help myself seeing what I think I can do. I'll keep practicing tomorrow and if I don't feel comfortable with my pace I'll look forward to next weeks races. I don't want to be a menace on the track and ruin a race for someone else.
What car are you using? I haven't been able to do Race C yet this week but I plan to do a few tomorrow with the Porsche.

I had to run last week's Race B (Catalunya Gr.3) to repair my DR in between Nations Cup slots. My low S SR placed me in a lobby of mostly B DR, with my poor lap time starting me 10th. Since I needed a clean race to get back to 90 SR, I was driving conservatively to avoid contact. The B drivers I was surrounded by had... other ideas.

RsIfIA6.jpg
1QULCNc.jpg
zrieTs3.jpg

I really have no clue what the AMG was thinking. Best case scenario, he has to slow right down to stay on track and become a sitting duck on the straight. Worst case scenario, he drives straight into gravel. He ended up slamming an unlucky Peugeot into the gravel and starts to lose the rear end from the impact. Not expecting someone being stupid enough to try rejoining the track from the pit entry, I plow into the AMG's rear and send him spinning down the order as the Peugeot also spins out trying to rejoin the track. Fortunately, I did not get a penalty for the contact, otherwise I would have been screaming at the AMG in the post-race chat.

I was up into 6th after a penalty was handed out to the Alfa ahead for bumping the aforementioned AMG off the chicane. I would have finished 6th, had another AMG and an Aston not let their tempers get the better of them:

The Aston ahead moved under braking into turn 1, forcing the AMG to take evasive measures to avoid contact. One lap later, the AMG bumped the Aston and shoved his way past the latter, resulting in the Aston retaliating by ramming the AMG off at the next corner.

2eX9eSB.jpg

I waltzed past the Aston and AMG to take 4th with CRB, putting me back to 90 SR in time for the next time slot. Sometimes, simply staying out of trouble is enough to make up a few places.

KzJGScU.jpg
qbWFAVK.jpg

Man, watched @JoeDaSnow replay. Hood job running the guy down. Pretty garbage move punting them off track at the end there.

I know we aren't all saints, I've actually done a punt or two in my time. But they are initiated by the other person crossing the line to dirty driving multiple times before I will pull the trigger. Your silence and SR indicate this wasnt started my the other driver but might be your usual style of driving. If so, I hope you improve a bit, for everyone's sake, it's way more fun when everyone can do some clean side by side racing.

And that punt was definitely avoidable, tou could have gone outside but swerved in to aim at them. 👎

Couldn't agree more!

This says it all!
Screenshot 2021-05-13 083640.png

Hopped on today hoping for some consistent positions in Race C, and boy, I got way more than I bargained for.

There were a few too many Dung Beetles on track, which to me is usually a bad omen for the quality of the lobby - a bit like seeing crows or ravens.

As normal, the goal was to start from the midpack and move upwards, aiming about half a second above me in qualifying - which comes out to about... 4th in this video. With so many A+ drivers, maybe 6th or 7th realistically.

But the racing wasn't really racing in some parts. A few of the overtakes didn't seem clean. Worse, it didn't even seem like there were deliberate attempts to avoid contact or accidents. The overwhelming focus on asserting "corner rights" makes me lament that some people are more worried about winning than a clean and arguably more fun race.

Of course, I'm being a dramatic for effect. Mistakes happen all the time and there's no need to tear someone a new one for it. However, it's a bit concerning when players deliberately choose not to use their better judgement even when it would benefit them most in the long term.

If a move you're about to make has a high chance of causing a collision, please spare the people around you the heartache and NOT do it.

--

Also, race B sucks lmao

Last edited:
I can't seem to find any rhythm at Leguna Seca. I can go a few laps before I dip a tire in the sand or completely run wide coming out of turns, and that's going to do me no favors during a race. I'm trying to push my driving ability and find some time, but I'm pushing too much and can't keep in on the track. I should focus on consistent lap times, but I can't help myself seeing what I think I can do. I'll keep practicing tomorrow and if I don't feel comfortable with my pace I'll look forward to next weeks races. I don't want to be a menace on the track and ruin a race for someone else.
The best tip I can give you is brake a little before. Find your brake marker and then brake a meter before it. Focus on exit.

Next week's A race is posted. B & C are not.

Special Stage Route X: N600 (Provided car) 1 lap. 👍 :D

Last time it was the Ford GT.
I sure hope this penalty is turned off. :irked:

Oh, and this penalty too. I believe this is my personal record. 4 SR penalties within 40 seconds! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm getting reset next week. Totally worth it. Race C at N24 too (but with crap cars).

Had a bit of a break from dailies this week to focus on practicing for the Manufacturers race at Le Mans. What's the weapons of choice for Race B and C? I seem to remember the Scirocco and Beetle being mentioned earlier in the week...

Had a bit of a break from dailies this week to focus on practicing for the Manufacturers race at Le Mans. What's the weapons of choice for Race B and C? I seem to remember the Scirocco and Beetle being mentioned earlier in the week...
Seems to be a variety being used. WRX, Beetle, 911 RSR,
Personally I had a go in the FT1 and loved it.

The Audi gave me my fastest time in TT, looks like the RS01 is the META for TT though, just don't use it in the race.

Seems to be a variety being used. WRX, Beetle, 911 RSR,
Personally I had a go in the FT1 and loved it.

The Audi gave me my fastest time in TT, looks like the RS01 is the META for TT though, just don't use it in the race.
Nice to hear it's not a one-make. Love it when there's a bit of variety in the races, especially on tricky circuits like Laguna Seca and Mount Panorama. Don't suppose there's as much variety in the latter though?

Nice to hear it's not a one-make. Love it when there's a bit of variety in the races, especially on tricky circuits like Laguna Seca and Mount Panorama. Don't suppose there's as much variety in the latter though?
Not from what I've seen, it's FF or nothing. One guy tried a Jag in the race I was in but I didn't see him make much progress

Couldn't agree more!

This says it all!
View attachment 1010599

Hi all,

I have seen several notes go by on Joe and his latest video and from his previous postings. This is what I observe:
  • Joe sends a us a note from time to time when he gets a new victory.
  • The notes here and in other threads are very similar.
  • Once, he sent a note on his SR.
  • He never responds. He never says a bad word.
  • He has played GT for a cumulative 179 days (kudos), more than anyone else that I have observed.
  • For his last victory he pointed to a video that showed himself in a *very* negative light. It was a straight up punt. I mean, no one does that, right?
  • He quits races frequently, probably, after some adversity.

Here is what I conclude:
  • At 179 days he clearly loves the game and is probably more central to his life than for the rest of us.
  • He doesn't understand when he has broken the etiquette/collision/punting rules.
  • I do not sense malice.

What should we do:
  • When he does something wrong, clearly and simply state that it was wrong and and offer constructive advice. That fulfills the no BS nature of this board.
  • Be nice and offer encouragement.
  • Do not judge.
  • Or, don't respond at all.
@JoeDaSnow,

If you are reading this you are welcome to post anytime.

What car are you using? I haven't been able to do Race C yet this week but I plan to do a few tomorrow with the Porsche.

I've been in the WRX. I think i still need to learn how it handles since I never drove it previous to this. It feels nice to drive so far, just need to get comfortable with it.

The best tip I can give you is brake a little before. Find your brake marker and then brake a meter before it. Focus on exit.

Thanks for the advice, I'll put into practice later today. Thinking back to my practice session yesterday, I was trying to brake at late as possible and missing my brake markers and running off track. Braking just a bit sooner will probably to the trick and get my laps more consistent.

Cheers!

Edit: for Griffens, fourth gear is better than dropping to third but it is harder. Need to keep the speed above 130 kph throughout the turn otherwise it will bog down. It is worth about a tenth.

In the race I drop to third gear as it is more reliable.

Thanks @Little_Guppy sage advice once again. I'm definitely faster in 4th through Griffins, but then I struggle through The Cutting. I used to take the left kink flat, but if I nail Griffins I need to lift before I break into The Cutting. I have also struggled at Forrest's Elbow. What has worked for me is braking slightly longer, bringing the car almost to a stop. It feels like I'm way too slow. It allows me to take a nice tight line against the wall before getting on the throttle super early. Just sit back relax and light a cigar while you watch your blue delta improve all along Con Rod.

Thanks @Little_Guppy sage advice once again. I'm definitely faster in 4th through Griffins, but then I struggle through The Cutting. I used to take the left kink flat, but if I nail Griffins I need to lift before I break into The Cutting. I have also struggled at Forrest's Elbow. What has worked for me is braking slightly longer, bringing the car almost to a stop. It feels like I'm way too slow. It allows me to take a nice tight line against the wall before getting on the throttle super early. Just sit back relax and light a cigar while you watch your blue delta improve all along Con Rod.

For the "lift" before cutting you are getting the benefit of the weight shifting forward thereby making the subseqent braking more effective... that is my best assessment. One nice virtuous cycle stemming a fast griffens corner.

On Forrests Elbow @NevilleNobody is nailing it on his posted videos.

My added observation is: after initial hard braking you need to lighten up to allow the fronts to steer. During that braking segment you need to travel from the right side to the left side therefore steering is needed. The road also appears to be crowned making it even harder. I see others starting from the middle and not the right,

Or get some of the magic dust that Neville is using.

Last edited:
On Forrests Elbow @NevilleNobody is nailing it on his posted videos.

Or get some of the magic dust that Neville is using.

i am not great there, i often get beat by opposition but yeah that vid i posted chasing that guy i was on it. IF I get it right i do the following;

Lift off gas, tap brake, lift off brake, swing right, brake hard, lift off brake, get her turned left then gas it. The hardest part is keeping far enough to the right, i often end up middle of the track which buggers the angle up on exit.

Where i appear to be quick vs A drivers is from the apex of mcphillamy through to the exit of the dipper, if i get it right. You can see me visibly closing on the guy through there but i am at 10/10ths and at any point I could lose it big time.

9 laps from 10 I am just not fast enough through the cutting and i butcher the tricky right before reid park. You see i had to lift through there and he got away from me on the last lap.

Almost every time in every class every race at Panorama I have trouble turn 1 lap 1.
If you start fourth or fifth so easy to lose draft against the aliens up front.
Never before have I gotten the yips but yesterday Forests elbow, I lost my braking action. I was either too deep or too early all night.
For me it’s gotta be early half top of hill then full as steering is unwound straight, mid track, then release while turning left to apex in a single uninterrupted flow. Stomping full throttle. I hit it nice in my shared lap.
In race though messing up turn one and that turn last night was rendering everything else pointless in a 3 lap event.
To do well you need to be on it right from the start.

OMG turn 1 lap 1, it is SO HARD to judge eh. So easy to get it wrong wither way. You all need t tune into the 1000 every october and admire the pros hauling 700HP and 1300KG worth of taxi cab through there. Bugger all downforce and skinny tyres, it's madness.

This is worth a watch, it's total genius, Peter was the absolute master. Look at the lack of grip :eek::eek:

Watch carefully at the chase, she gets seriously wobbly, brown undies stuff. The 2.16 was actually competitive back then, V8 and all.

Last edited:
Stupid game programmers. Maybe a crashed car shouldn't be unghosted until it gets back up to speed. :irked:

Yeah so much this. It's pretty infuriating when I'm behind a car right before it returns to solid. The game can identify average speed for a sector in correlation to the car but still unghosts at a snail's pace. Unghost when there are no cars nearby or when it's up to speed of a sector. Knowledge is there but not made use of.

It's the same problem with Penalty Zones and particularly at Laguna Seca this week. Placing it next to a braking zone invites the ghost to block and reduce its already low penalty time too (I haven't seen a penalty over 2 seconds in months unless stacked).

OMG turn 1 lap 1, it is SO HARD to judge eh. So easy to get it wrong wither way. You all need t tune into the 1000 every october and admire the pros hauling 700HP and 1300KG worth of taxi cab through there. Bugger all downforce and skinny tyres, it's madness.

This is worth a watch, it's total genius, Peter was the absolute master. Look at the lack of grip :eek::eek:

Watch carefully at the chase, she gets seriously wobbly, brown undies stuff. The 2.16 was actually competitive back then, V8 and all.

This man is the reason I have an interest in motorsport. He was something else. My first car was an LX Holden Torana because both my Dad (actually an LH) and his Dad got one after Brocky drove them at Bathurst. The L34 and A9X are still my measures of classic touring cars.

hqdefault.jpg

Brock-A9-X-Torana.jpg

That was a PSYCHO CHARGER!
Fabulous footage!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back