Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
Spain
Spain
DakarCommingSoonPage.png

Developed by Bigmoon Entertainment
Published by Deep Silver and Koch Media.

Live Streaming presentation

Features extracted from live streaming
- 15.000km² open world
- You can exit the car and explore the world
- You have to fix damage to vehicle by controlling the character
- Official Dakar teams from five categories (cars, trucks, bikes etc)
- Realistic simulation physics
- Navigation system similar like in real Dakar
- Day/Night & weather system
Official Website: http://dakarthegame.com/

Last edited:
VR would make this perfect, this might be a definite pick up regardless. Always wanted a Dakar game. I didn't see this thread originally but I'm hype now!

Looks interesting. Any Jeep Wranglers in Dakar?

VR would make this perfect, this might be a definite pick up regardless. Always wanted a Dakar game. I didn't see this thread originally but I'm hype now!

To be honest, I don't think so. VR is brilliant and all, but technical limitations severely hamper the useful and amazingness of it when outside in vast areas. Once VR games can manage greater graphics for distant objects, then it'll be a good fit. For now, VR is better for more enclosed environments, like Resident Evil 7 for instance.

I wonder how faithful to the general topography of the course the game is? If it's 15,000km² and the Dakar this year is 9000km in total distance then the open-world would be about 1.6km wide. That would be interesting, but would they go to the effort of doing it like that.

This looks phenomenal! Admittedly I had to look up with the Dakar Rally is :embarrassed: but it made me all the more interested. This will certainly be a welcome addition in 2018

*me at work**watch the news*

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

tumblr_m09za2lvum1rnigmho1_500.gif

YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...YES...!!! :gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:

And DOBLE AMAZING to see Alexis Hernandez (Peruvian quad racer) on the trailer!!! :D:D:D

5a593d67ae6c3.jpg

Peru_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

I am just curious, what has Bluemoon Studios done that's so bad? Looking at their resume, pretty much every game on there ranks about average on Steam reviews.

And before anyone jumps in with Flatout 4 or any of the early WRC games, they only did animations or art for those games.

I am just curious, what has Bluemoon Studios done that's so bad? Looking at their resume, pretty much every game on there ranks about average on Steam reviews.

And before anyone jumps in with Flatout 4 or any of the early WRC games, they only did animations or art for those games.

They are a budget developer. That's not necessarily a bad thing but their games are notoriously buggy and undercooked. For example Alekhines Gun and Police Simulator 18.

No doubt this new Dakar game will follow that same trend. Also they haven't really developed their own racing game before (aside from some contract work on Flatout and WRC) which means they aren't bringing forwards any previous development experience aside from a an extremely mixed run of games spanning all types of genres.

I don't think it's unfair to have low expectations going in.

Well this has effectively killed off my early purchase of Gravel for sure. It looks to be the game I've dreamed of for a long time, sounds fantastic.
Mind you, I hope they (like Milestone) use an existing physics engine rather than go through the learning cycle of so many other so-so games.
I see they have the 'unreal' logo on their teaser site, so we may well see a reasonable game from the off. Here's hoping!

Same as everyone else, I'm interested but keeping expectations low due to the developer's past games. At best I feel it's gonna be similar to Baja Edge of Control. At worst, well, it's gonna be a nice sand dune road trip simulator :lol:

Interestingly, from wikipedia there has only been 2 previous Dakar games and they are both pretty terrible. For such a famous event you'd hope there were more games, even cheap knock off ones.

I wonder how faithful to the general topography of the course the game is? If it's 15,000km² and the Dakar this year is 9000km in total distance then the open-world would be about 1.6km wide. That would be interesting, but would they go to the effort of doing it like that.

I'm not exactly well versed in Dakar technicalities, but I thought in raid style racing you only have a pre-determined start and finish point, and the route is up to you? I checked this year's route though and it seems you do follow a specified route.
https://www.horizonte-tours.com/uploads/dakar2018short.jpg

I was initially thinking a square map like FUEL's (that would make it just over 120km wide each side). This would mean even the longest drive corner to corner is about 2.5-3 hours (could be longer if the route isn't a straight path or looped). But a long thin map like what you suggested could be more faithful to the actual race. That would take considerably more effort to model though. Also whether the PS4/XB1 can handle loading the WHOLE map at once, or will it be cut into separate stages?

Would be interesting to see if they also use procedural generation (FUEL, Dirt 4 style) or hand model every terrain. One would mean much less work but potentially more boring and repetitive landscapes, while the other could mean more variety but I feel too much work for this small team.

I have no faith in this either, but I would also be glad to be proven wrong. It reeks of being way too good to be true, even just the promise of "realistic simulation physics" to underpin the other features they're more likely to manage.

For some reason I thought of the off-road stuff from Enthusia, if I recall it touted dynamic sand dunes that made every race a different one.
Google has killed my nostalgia a bit though...
As far as I could tell over the years, there were maybe three or four versions of Mirage Crossing. It would only switch up the sand dunes in a couple spots, swap going left or right around a particular rock (0:39), and sometimes leave water on the straightaway before the uphill to the finish line. Not exactly what Konami puffed it up to be. :P

Interestingly, from wikipedia there has only been 2 previous Dakar games and they are both pretty terrible. For such a famous event you'd hope there were more games, even cheap knock off ones.

The first one wasn't the best, but the second one was fairly solid for the time.

Off-road games don't have the same following as road racing games, with maybe the exception for rally titles. However, I think the success of games like Spintires and the expanded Dirt series helped bring it out in the open more. Also Forza Horizon probably lent a hand to that as well, even though it's not strictly an off-road game.

I do wish one of the bigger developers would come up with a proper off-road game though. Back in the day games like Screamer 4x4 and Off Road Evo were excellent.

I'm not exactly well versed in Dakar technicalities, but I thought in raid style racing you only have a pre-determined start and finish point, and the route is up to you? I checked this year's route though and it seems you do follow a specified route. https://www.horizonte-tours.com/uploads/dakar2018short.jpg

In some parts of the race, it's like that. However, in others, they do follow a predetermined route as far as I know. I think it's more of the departure and arrival stages though.

Latest Posts

Back