Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
Anyone else get stuck in the mud? Like twice? I finally wised up by the third pit and drove cleanly around it. Finally got a chance to exit the vehicle and use the shovel and recovery boards. Kind of frustrating, but it’s all part of the experience I guess!
Almost all mudholes have a "clean route" around them (look for the tracks!). Some can even be skipped entirely if you move away far enough.

Well, this just happened... I was on Stage 8, heading through a Rio and saw a Mini buggy get wedged on top of some rocks. I get out, attach a tow rope and yank the Mini off the rocks. I then get out and unhook the Mini, and as I walk back to my Hilux, the Mini runs me over.

Thanks a lot, bud.

Some info posted by the devs on Steam about the future and features:

Origineel geplaatst door Bigmoon Entertainment:
Dear All,
First and foremost, it is a great pleasure to read your suggestions.
It means you love the game and want us to continue to improve it... not only in the Dakar18, but especially to include on our development for Dakar19 (which is already ongoing).
About your topics:
1. Remove the movement of the inner camera
We believe you mean the left/right movement of the cockpit camera correct?
If you don't touch the mouse, it wont move. That's the issue?
2. Can remove the pilot and steering wheel
Already in development. Will arrive soon.
3. To get a little closer to the FOV of the inner camera
We already had that option but due to the Open World LOD streaming issues we had to avoid that option. It was a technical decision because this is NOT a track based game, its a huge Open World. Nevertheless, that is one of our next R&D for Dakar19.
4. 200 competitors
We implemented 44 official teams with around 70 pilots/co-pilots on Dakar18.
For Dakar19 its expected to grow from 44 to near 70 teams. Distributed by all categories.
That's already a Huge Plan for next year!
5. North Africa
This is the Official Dakar Rally game and our license is to replicate what happen on Dakar Rally. The organization define the place, the Road Books, the Teams and we focus on simulate in the videogame the Rally.
Nevertheless BIGMOON should bring a big announcement during 2019 that may cover that topic.
5. 20 stages
On Dakar18 you have 14 stages. The same as the official Dakar Rally 2018.
It seems you want more... and we want to provide more... stay tuned... great news are coming before Christmas! ;)
6. 1.3 maximum scale
We use a 1:32 world map scale. What I suppose it's around what you mean of "1.3". We dont use 1.4. Nevertheless this is something we will not change for Dakar18, and Dakar19 should be similar scale. However we are currently in tests with the evolution of our Open World for Dakar19.
7. Save the choosen camera settings to keep when you return to the game.
Already in development. Will arrive soon.
See you guys in the Dunes!
LINK

Have finally got round to playing this after the latest update on PC meant my Fanatec wheel works correctly and I'm really enjoying it. Handling model is pretty naff but the game is all about long stage navigation and it does that in a fantastic way.

I really hope they change the scale for Dakar19 as it'll be only in Peru and there will be less stages (9 or 10, not 100% sure).

I like off-road open world racing games but I'm not sure if I'm going to like this one.

Oh man, I suck hard at this!

Edit:

Okay, so I'm clearly missing something regards the navigation, but that aside, given the regularity with which I total my car, the loading times are pretty horrendous.

Last edited:
Tried this game and so far I find that the co-driver is giving me the note a bit late, hard to follow the cap. I need to play with options a bit to see whats possible. Other than that its pretty fun maybe a bit unreal on job as I did some pretty epic jumping already.

Tried this game and so far I find that the co-driver is giving me the note a bit late, hard to follow the cap. I need to play with options a bit to see whats possible. Other than that its pretty fun maybe a bit unreal on job as I did some pretty epic jumping already.

Yeah I agree, I think he gives them with about 500m notice, but when its scaled 1:32, that sometimes means about a 1 sec to react to it!

Oh man, I suck hard at this!

Edit:

Okay, so I'm clearly missing something regards the navigation, but that aside, given the regularity with which I total my car, the loading times are pretty horrendous.

Take that foot of the accelerator :lol:

For those who are struggling I put a very basic video together with some visual clues.

Take that foot of the accelerator

But merrily tanking across the dunes at top whack looks cooler! :D

Honestly, aside from crashing off dunes at 120km/h where I'm struggling is with what happens when you get a bit lost. Sometimes I've been following the CAP heading and my navigator says we're lost and to find the last Cap point... at that point, I'm just driving around in circles.

Judging by the response to my previous post here, quite a few of you guys found my story of being run over hilarious. Well, you’re going to love what’s happened to me now...

I made it to the first Argentinian stage (Stage 10, I think?), and made it to a sand dune. A Peugeot was already there and had got beached/dug in at the top of the dune. This dune was no joke; even my four-wheel drive Hilux needed recovery boards to make it over the top. Anyway, after making it over the dune, I quite reluctantly decide to help the Peugeot, so I hook it up and pull it over the dune. Now, remembering what happened the last time I decided to be a Good Samaritan to the Mini, I get out, unhook the Peugeot and immediately run away. The Peugeot starts up and rockets off...

...straight into my co-driver, who was idly standing next to my Hilux.

I’m downloading this game now. Looks so interesting and different. Seems cool. The map and graphics look great. I hope the game feels great and sim like going in mud and sand. I also just want to free roam. But the game seems interesting.

Yeah, the Device Manager is missing from those notes, too. They had me thinking it was identical to Steam v0.8 but evidently it's not.

I’ve been following the update discussions on Reddit and found they are anticipating clutch/shift implementation on consoles eventually so that’s good.

How does the Device Manager function?

Argentina stage 10-11 something seems amiss..

Anyone else run into something wrong at the beginning of stage 10? I’ve done it twice and the road book jumps from 300 to 400 (approximate numbers). Next time I play I will record it, but here’s another fellow running into the same issue. It happens around the 3-4 minute mark.

I can’t understand Spanish, but he restarts and seems to be fine afterwards. I’ve tried to research this but can’t find any answers.

Anyone else run into something wrong at the beginning of stage 10? I’ve done it twice and the road book jumps from 300 to 400 (approximate numbers). Next time I play I will record it, but here’s another fellow running into the same issue. I can’t understand Spanish, but he restarts and seems to be fine afterwards. I’ve tried to research this but can’t find any answers.
You probably missed a turn, I've never seen that happen to me.

Anyone else run into something wrong at the beginning of stage 10? I’ve done it twice and the road book jumps from 300 to 400 (approximate numbers). Next time I play I will record it, but here’s another fellow running into the same issue. It happens around the 3-4 minute mark.

I can’t understand Spanish, but he restarts and seems to be fine afterwards. I’ve tried to research this but can’t find any answers.

Indeed it is from taking a wrong turn. By going down the wrong path you/he hit a future waypoint. It just so happens that right there that future WP is very close to where you should have been. By validating a future WP the Road Book jumps to that km mark but you basically skip a 100km loop. You can still finish the stage but will be disqualified for missing the WPs in that first loop. You could restart, or back track and manually roll back the Road Book and continue down the correct path.

Indeed it is from taking a wrong turn. By going down the wrong path you/he hit a future waypoint. It just so happens that right there that future WP is very close to where you should have been. By validating a future WP the Road Book jumps to that km mark but you basically skip a 100km loop. You can still finish the stage but will be disqualified for missing the WPs in that first loop. You could restart, or back track and manually roll back the Road Book and continue down the correct path.

That’s exactly what happened, makes sense now. I will try again.

Speaking of which, now that I’ve got a good understanding of navigating I’m ready to up the difficulty to competitor. I’m basically thrashing the AI except for my recent wrong turn.

Out of curiosity, are the routes the same for each playthrough, or does the game mix it up? I can imagine a great many different routes can be created since the map is so immense..

Routes are always the same, though Bigmoon has mentioned the possibility of a waypoint editor as well as a surprise coming soon. Perhaps an alternate Road Book? It's a lot of work since the Road Books are very detailed with lots of notes, and it all has to correspond with the terrain and detection points.

Routes are always the same, though Bigmoon has mentioned the possibility of a waypoint editor as well as a surprise coming soon. Perhaps an alternate Road Book? It's a lot of work since the Road Books are very detailed with lots of notes, and it all has to correspond with the terrain and detection points.
The surprise was already announced, it is the Ruta 40 race. I don't know if it'll be free DLC but it's gonna be added. I think the waypoint editor will be added in the next game.

Back