Dakar Desert Rally (PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, PC) - Release date 2022

• Thread starter er185es
  • 285 comments
Maybe stupid question, but I could not find it.
Can you use your PS4 save on PS5?

By the way, love the game, can be totally lost in time especially during a race on higher difficulty.

Thanks

By the way, love the game, can be totally lost in time especially during a race on higher difficulty.

Thanks
Maybe not the save (I'm assuming here as apparently there are read issues, or at least were back when the console came out) but you should be able to play with the PS4 disc in the PS5

Thanks
I've got the PS4/PS5 digital bundle and never found a way to transfer my PS4 save data to PS5. Had to start all over from scratch.

Xbox sale...
Noticed that this is currently discounted to £20.49 (£22.49 for deluxe edition).
Seems like it's probably worth buying at that price? Are there any major issues with the game (for those who have played it on console)?
The reviews mention save progress being deleted and having to restart. Is this still a potential issue or was it resolved?

Probably going in my backlog pile, with EA WRC and coming and Forza not8 just released, but I'd like to support a driving game that is a bit different to the norm if I can.

I’d go for it, I bought it earlier this year and I spent a full week playing it on my series S non stop, I’d say that is very fun and didn’t have any issues/ bugs that affected my experience playing it.

It's a really impressive game, but (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this), because it's not really 'pick up and play' and demands time and effort to learn how to do it, it's been sitting unused on my HD. Really need to get back to it because it's genuinely impressive post patches etc.
I really like it, and am even willing to overlook the slightly wonky motorcycle physics, but holy cow, it's a commitment! Maybe over the winter I'll try to spend some time with it.

Probably going in my backlog pile, with EA WRC and coming and Forza not8 just released, but I'd like to support a driving game that is a bit different to the norm if I can.
Definitely get it and give it a go. It's a small team and they've had to delay the updates a couple of times but news is due by the end of the year and that includes photo mode, replays, team customisation and a whole pile of other free updates. The team have put a lot into the game and have made something special. I now cannot see sand dunes and not think about this game. Some truly long and challenging rallies at the top tier of things and some fun free-run areas with plenty of things to discover.

Definitely get it and give it a go. It's a small team and they've had to delay the updates a couple of times but news is due by the end of the year and that includes photo mode, replays, team customisation and a whole pile of other free updates. The team have put a lot into the game and have made something special. I now cannot see sand dunes and not think about this game. Some truly long and challenging rallies at the top tier of things and some fun free-run areas with plenty of things to discover.
Have bought it now. Will probably leave it until the next newsdrop, and then aim to play it in January when it's icy cold and sand dunes will be a welcome distraction!

Is the navigation tough?
It seems a little easier than the original game but still something that you'll need to adjust to as you learn how to read the rally raid roadbook since it's different to what you would be used to from any rally game. It's probably best to do the pro/simulation events in a truck first because it's slower and gives you more thinking time and if you wonder too far off course the co-driver will point you back in the right direction after a while. Bikes and quads you're totally on your own with navigation which is a nice challenge once you're comfortable.

As soon as it goes on sale for PS5, I’m going to buy it. A game like this seems right up my alley

Is the navigation tough?
Adding to what has been said already - no, it's surprisingly okay once used to it - though in simulation mode, there are a few points where the navigator's instructions can unnecessarily send you the wrong way, especially the "leave traces" instruction when simply switching traces

There needs to be more granularity with the codriver directions. I’ve turned him off incidentally and use the road book.

For example on most occasions turn means veer. ‘Turn’ conjures a sharp-ish turn, usually 90 degrees.

As far as updates; it’s not boding well for the road book editor, unless that’s what’s holding everything up.

I figured I would take a shortcut on one of the treasure hunts, it took ages to get up that mountain road and I didn't want to spend another 10 minutes driving back down if there was a quicker route. It was quick but more bumpy than I expected 🙈

Yeah, that's one way to do it lol, but one hell of a headache and dizziness😁🤪.
Edit: i only have the 1st game, dakar 18, which i liked a lot, but haven't put much time into still.

I put this one on my wishlist, someday..

Last edited:
November 28th! Let the fun commence!!

Dakar lives!! So there's still hope that they can fiddle with the friction physics so my car is less likely to crawl to a halt, give up, and slide backwards down the not-particularly-impossible-looking hills of Al Ula 2020 Stage 2? :D

Even if not, good to see it's still kicking.

...So there's still hope that they can fiddle with the friction physics so my car is less likely to crawl to a halt, give up, and slide backwards down the not-particularly-impossible-looking hills of Al Ula 2020 Stage 2? :D

Even if not, good to see it's still kicking.
That sharp right so you have to slow right down to avoid those rocks? Yeah, I know it well :) That hill on stage 1 of the Dakar Experience 2020 though, I had to swing around and go into reverse for that one. The Snow Runner trucks took it in one go though :cheers:

Road Book Editor!!

road driving GIF by nclas

Huge updates today. I like this game, but its big problem is that it takes up sooo much damn space and only barely justifies it. I hope I don’t have to delete anything to fit this update.

Edit - I take everything I just said back. It’s shrunk!!

Last edited:
Back