Dakar Desert Rally (PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, PC) - Release date 2022

• Thread starter er185es
  • 284 comments
...there's still hope that they can fiddle with the friction physics so my car is less likely to crawl to a halt, give up, and slide backwards down the not-particularly-impossible-looking hills of Al Ula 2020 Stage 2? :D
That Shigry stage and that hill in particular is definitely fine now - I've taken bikes, quad, car and truck up there - all good now! Sorry, meant to swing by and confirm this a week or two ago - got distracted...

Ace, looking forward to the USA stages, the one thing I find about this game is that I really don’t like Saudi Arabia as an environment as much as South America from Dakar 18. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve done a great job with it and everything, but I can’t wait for an environment that’s a bit less….middle eastern sandpit.

Deluxe edition now on sale on Xbox. I've bought it.

1705696291538.png

It's heavily discounted on the PS Store too but before you buy it you should know that the most recent update broke the events in the expanded Saudi map (everything in USA if you have that DLC, and the original map works fine) so trying to race them will crash the game.

Hopefully there will be positive news before the sale ends at the end of the month but at the moment the official line is that last weeks was the final update and they have no plans of releasing a patch to fix the broken events.

yeah apparently the new update has broken the Extended Saudi’s Arabia map or something. Game just crashes when you try and start the events. People are worried because the devs stated this would be the final update for the game, so it won’t get fixed - but if it’s this game-breaking I can’t see them not fixing it. But beware at the moment and probably avoid the DLC.

That said, I’ve tried the DLC and love the new US environments particularly Yellowstone, so nice to have a completely different environment to race in, actual trees and gravel. But I feel with the increase in trackside detail comes a nasty juddering again when turning, such a shame because this game is 95% superb and 5% absolutely shocking, which is never a good ratio because it just leaves you frustrated at what could have been. It makes all the complaints about EA Sports WRC look like total nitpicking, properly chugs along on my SX. Saudi Arabia seems better but obviously sand dunes are easier on the processor than trees and mountains.

Last edited:
"As you can see, Dakar Desert Rally will be available for free from February 15 to 22, 2024 at 5 p.m. (French time) from the Epic Games Store."

Back