Darting Under High-Speed Braking

• Thread starter OldandSlow
  • 4 comments
United States
United States
I've discovered as some of my cars get tuned to the max, they've developed a habit of darting under high speed braking. They didn't exhibit this previously.

Any tips and clues on how to alleviate this? Thanks.

Have you tried shifting the brake bias towards the rear a bit? If you can't by default then fit a brake balance controller. This will get disabled though under BoP.
Other than that try tweaking the suspension, maybe stiffen the front or soften the rear a bit.

If it happens from high speed it could be aero balance, so add some rear wing if you have aero fitted.

Ride height differences front and rear can change the balance too (either due to aero effects or geometry). On some non-aero cars I've tested, a higher rear makes a sharper turn in, so in your case you might want to lower the rear, but check it both ways as it's not always worked in every car I've tried.

LSD decel is useful, add more to help stability, also bias brake balance to the front to prevent rears locking up .

Using less toe out (or more toe in) will add stability particularly in the first tiny steering corrections you make.

If you've weight reduced the car a lot, I think the weight distribution can alter so you could try adding ballast.

Softer springs and dampers, particularly rear springs and rear extension damp, can slow down the load transfer off the rear tyres. The car may still be tricky but it'll happen slower so can give you time to catch the misbehaviour.

If you want to post the setup on a problem car I'd be happy to test drive it (if I own one!)

I switched the '13 Viper GTS tune to Jeje6410's tune. That has full aero front and rear. It seems to have solved the problem about 98% up to 215mph. I'm going to change the gearing to get some more top speed and see what happens. I'll check back in with the results.

Thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
Update: Bumped the gearing a bit to get to 230 mph at LeMans. I added the carbon brakes which have pretty much cured that problem. I'd say 99% cured.

Thanks for the input, Gentlemen.

I'm going to revisit some other tunes that have this problem and implement your suggestions.

Back