Dear Mr. Yamauchi - A question regarding the future of GT Offline.

IMO there is a great way of pleasing everyone, which they have done before and been mentioned in this thread, can't remember which maybe GT2? have an Arcade disc and a sim disc. Simples.
Not necessary. One set of physics is all that is required. You can use tire upgrades and driving aids to get a car to compete in any race at almost any skill level.
And, @Johnnypenso , what you are saying sounds like an open arcade mode. I'm fine with that. But the GT mode has ALWAYS been a progression, and learning to drive the new physics is, for me at least, greatly benefited by working up to in from the slower cars.
Great, then take the option of the full, linear career progression I suggested above and it works for you. For others that don't want to do that, maybe they can choose to start in the S2000 Cup or the GT4 Cup or any other race they choose to. Your Career will be different from their's, different from mine and everyone else's. When you have options there are no limits.

Not necessary. One set of physics is all that is required. You can use tire upgrades and driving aids to get a car to compete in any race at almost any skill level.

Within reason.... ;)

A '69 Fiat will NEVER keep up with an LMP car.... ;)

Within reason.... ;)

A '69 Fiat will NEVER keep up with an LMP car.... ;)
Of course, but we're talking about competitive races in a new career mode where the base design would allow the cars to be competitive for most people just by tweaking the proposed difficulty levels. Tires + driving aids + tuning should make it possible for anyone to compete with the best physics available.

So did GT2. (I would love to play GT4, but my PS2 won't read it.....) But the point remains. Some people don't want to bother with them, so if they do like arcade (I don't that much), they can still have access to the entire game if they can finish a championship. They can obviously drive THAT well! ;)

Likewise I rarely use arcade at all.
I have no objection to it being open, for those who do not care for GT mode.
That option probably has the most chance of becoming a reality than some others.

My point still stands. The game will just become too easy then more complaints will come about ease. If people don't want to bother about licenses and other challenges then too bad, don't play the game then until you have your license.

I have always looked forward to starting a GT game with a few credits and lower class car.
The license progression is by far the best IMO, of any used so far.
I would like both to be part of GT mode.

Unlike other games that may force you to start in low tiers with slow vehicles, players in Project CARS are free to choose from any of the available championships or series on offer. If you want to jump straight into powerful Le Mans Prototypes then you can! Similarly, if European GT cars are your thing, then go ahead!
You certainly lost that bet.:lol:I think your shortcoming here is you can't see outside your own little box. A career mode is an important element in the game, but a full career won't appeal to everyone so why not let people jump around and race how they want, when they want? Options. Want to start in a beater and progress like a real career? Go for it. Want to skip the beaters because you've been racing them for 15 years and really want to race that great sounding and handling BMW Z4 GT3 you've been seeing in previews? Go ahead. A linear career mode, even partially so, should be an option. Forcing people to slog through something they don't want to do doesn't enhance the appeal of the game. It'll be an "arduous ordeal" as you characterized it, instead of the fun challenge you would look forward to every day.
Well, that's interesting. Definitely a different way of going about it. However, very few games are set up for you to fight the last boss when you want to, and it's because this is how most game designers want to set up their games, so that players spend time going through it and enjoying it. On the gamer side, I'm not completely sure how that attitude breaks down, but I do know that there has been a huge lament since the advent of PS3 and 360 that games are getting way too short. And I can't think of a shorter game than one that lets you do the last race at the get go.

Still, this is what debating all this is about, seeing what gamers want, and how that can be realized in the form of a game that works. In this case, GT7, I'm thinking it could work in Arcade Mode, but I wouldn't count on being able to race every car in the game on every track from the start. In GT Mode, you can pretty much bank on the same arduous ordeal - branchingwise anyhow, as in all GT games. If we get a FIA GT Pro, fuggedabout it, you'll start at the bottom and you'll like it. ;)

As I stated before, a GT7 with these three modes of play will give just about everyone a racing experience they want. Don't want to mess with squat, just race whatever you want? Jump into Arcade. Want that same old sandbox game as always, progressing through races, collecting cars and cold vaporous credits? GT Mode is for you. Want a taste of serious motorsports with rules and stuff, and a career which is a lot more like a career? Grab your S Class badge and head over to the folks at FIA, and they'll get you going in what is hopefully a long, arduous ordeal. :D

Welp,

I had a go doing the Red Bull X2011 Standard challenge with my G27 today and I have to say this:

It's challenging to get the car around the tracks fast without driver aids (Though ABS was set to 1) but was satisfying once I learned how to control the car.

What really irritated the shizzoul out of me was the AI.... Utter rubbish. I thought the AI wasn't good before but this challenge took the cake. I hated the rubber band effect, I got knocked off the track half the time by my opponents instead of challenging me and braking in corners that didn't even need braking. I changed my driving tactics and still the same rubbish happened. Could only manage 2nd after a few times.

AI definitely needs a fixing. Or maybe it's just me....Hmmmm

I understand that really aggressive, reckless A.I. is quite popular with some people around here... maybe it's just them though.

I understand that really aggressive, reckless A.I. is quite popular with some people around here... maybe it's just them though.

I just want AI that sticks with the rest of the pack, challenges me but doesn't knock me off. Check it, I was even on the outside of corners and I still managed to get knocked off the track.

The Last of Us is one of the only games I know with really smart AI. So in games like GT, improvements can be done

I just want AI that sticks with the rest of the pack, challenges me but doesn't knock me off. Check it, I was even on the outside of corners and I still managed to get knocked off the track.

The Last of Us is one of the only games I know with really smart AI. So in games like GT, improvements can be done
Quite. The first priority of AI is that they are on pace, without that, there is no racing. Second is their behaviour once they are on pace. At this point GT is far behind in both crucial aspects.

I'm fine with that for people who can maintain the pace that well. I can't, usually. I don't play enough, and switching cars can be annoying.

So I think this is related but... has anyone uploaded a youtube vid showing what your car sounds like in first place as you do a lap of a track and then intersplice the 2nd place AI car. I would but don't have the capability.

It it quite alarming how lethargic and uninterested the AI is in actual racing. Maybe that's why it's called the "Real Driving Simulator". It's not that they can't race, it's that no one's told them they can.

I know that sending Gran Turismo's bots to GT Academy for some iron bot training is important, but there's the rest of the game to consider too. Along with JohnnyP, a bunch of gamers want to see some more "racing environment" stuff to give you the sense that you're participating in an event more than just playing a video game. GRID and Shift have been presented as good examples, and Shift does do a pretty good job at some sort of pre-race on-track activity. GT6 does have something like this in select events towards the end of the game, but it could stand to be more prevalent. The rest is kind of a laundry list of PC sim elements missing from Gran Turismo.
  • Practice and qualifying
  • Standing starts for a good number of races
  • League rules, penalties and flag marshalls
  • Crew chief radio chatter
  • Damage, a big part of real world motorsports
  • Named bots having racing personalities and reputations, particularly the top five in any league
  • Working displays around the track, featuring elapsed time, car number and pisition (forgot that one)
The crew chief needs some improvement though, beyond a handful of repeating lines. However, I've been all about gene splicing in a bunch of real world racing leagues in a FIA GT Pro Mode, the whole thing including a mini racing season with championship events, giving us a section which is PC sim-like, and all of those factor in.

There are other things that also figure in to the other modes of play, like
  • Damage, and the expense of maintaining a race car
  • Weather and time of day transitions on many more tracks
  • User content features like Course Maker II, an Event Maker, my dreaded Race Mod and Livery Editor
  • More single player events, though a robust Event Maker would make that less necessary
  • Those named bots with attitudes and reps again
  • Camera shake, separately for car and driver, with settings (forgot that one too)
  • Records for race tracks and more for cars
  • Leaderboards to compare your performance against the world
  • License Tests that are more fitting to real world motorsports training
Frankly, I can'r see License Tests changing all that much, because they do rely on racing techniques - for the most part. Some encourage cheating because they are a little ridiculous, but not many. Whatever PD does will vex a number of us because tests are a chore and get in the way of our fun. But it's a part of GT tradition so what the heck.

So what's important for a good GT6 and 7?

Last edited:
In regard to the license tests, you either love them or hate them, I would like to see the tests be more relevent to the level of racing they entitle you to. In GT5 for instance the series of tests for the S license involved completing a lap in a certain time around various tracks, the license allowed you to enter endurance races and to use powerfull racing cars like Lmp prototypes.
If the tests were to show the level of expertise needed for the step up, i.e night driving, weather conditions etc, then taking these tests would be more relevent.
If there is a thread on this sorry, I have only been with Gtplanet a few weeks and still catching up.

Ummm... Did you do the GT5 license tests before entering a race?

You didn't have to do the licenses in 5 AT ALL.

Now, for those who don't want to do them, but would rather just race, I think my idea of clearing a championship in arcade to be equal to a license test is quite fair.

Oops, my mistake.
It was experience that entitled you to race at higher levels. I have done all GT games and I thought one of these you had to complete some licenses, I'll use my age as an excuse.
Yes I did do the tests with gold. My meaning was to have some relevance between the tests and the different levels of racing, not necessarily to be compulsary in the game but to give the gamer, experienced or not some idea as to what to expect when say going from a standard car to touring car and upwards.[/QUOTE]

You know what would be nice, especially with SS Route X and 7 for another variety of challenges? Speed Challenges.

The name speaks for itself, tune your car's power, aerodynamics and suspension in such a way to get the highest speed over a course of 3 heats.

That would be interesting to see and can give the new Aero engine some shine

When GT started there was nothing like it on consoles (singular?). Now, everything is like it in one way or another.

Most match it in in-game graphics unless you zoom really close in photos. Most meet it in terms of options and gameplay. And offline gameplay is were GT fails miserably for me.

It's not fun. I have little interest in having 24h weather/time adjustments that only allow me to grind incessantly the Nur24 in rain and night against the same 25 cars for 175,000cr.

If I'm offline (no update/login bonus) I'd have to do that 115 times -and always place first- for one 20M car. Ain't ever gonna happen. Didn't in GT5. Didn't in GT6. Won't in GT7.

I think the big thing that PD AND Sony need(ed) to learn is that having access to the internet does not mean that all of want to use it.

So, if they want us to enjoy THIS game, they need to give us more off-line controls.

d3bd7d4e0150df19d47a9f8b773848f0bb8e50d9f1c99ace7b4b4f38245ff8c7.jpg

I think that most of the races feel the same probably because there is no variety in the hour/climate change setting.
most of the races are set during 10 am, with no climate change, it'd be more interesting to have these setting randomized every time we go for a championship.
heck , even during the so called "special events" (silverstone 10 laps, the revamped apricot hill) you just circle around and...nothing happens.

Back