Decisions, Decisions...

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 61 comments
  • 3,200 views

CodeRedR51

Premium
Messages
56,006
United States
United States
So my mother got a call from my grandparents Christmas morning, and she was informed that my Grandfather had been investing in foreign oil for a while now. He didn't tell anyone because he wanted it to be a surprise, if and when the time came to tell everyone. Well now is that time, and they are cashing it in as we speak. We'll know in the next couple weeks, but it could be some serious cash.

So, knowing the problems I am having with my current automobile, she has informed by brother and I that she will help us get better cars when the time comes. Here's my dilemma:

1) Do I keep my 1994 Sentra SE-R that I am having problems with, completely replace the entire drivetrain and make it a nice car again? (SR20VE, SR16VE transmission, new axles, etc)

2) Sell the Sentra, buy another Miata ('95 R-Package) and do some things to it? (hard top, roll bar, exhaust, suspension, etc)

3) Buy something else? (Subaru?)

I figure the budget is going to be right around $10k. Depends on how much my mom actually receives. Opinions?
 
1) Do I keep my 1994 Sentra SE-R that I am having problems with, completely replace the entire drivetrain and make it a nice car again? (SR20VE, SR16VE transmission, new axles, etc)
Do you bleed gasoline and dream of being featured on Speedhunters or something like that? If not, then no. It's a Sentra.

2) Sell the Sentra, buy another Miata ('95 R-Package) and do some things to it? (hard top, roll bar, exhaust, suspension, etc)
A Miata would be cool. Whatever things you want to do are up to you, but for me personally, at 22 and going back to school, I think I'm about to leave modifying behind me for quite a long time. It's a waste of money, and then you crash it.

3) Buy something else? (Subaru?)
A friend of mine bought a 2002 Lexus IS300 with 100,000 miles for less than $10,000, and if he hadn't told me the miles I'd have thought it was nearly new. Lesson here: Don't buy a Subaru unless you need an Outback to get through catastrophic winters. There are better cars to be had. Generally speaking this would be the best option though. Get a nice car that you won't go crazy in, that you care about, that you won't modify, and is fun but reasonable in every aspect. Something a grown up would drive. Actually, you're 25 so that's precisely what you should be looking for, weekend Miata aside.
 
I'm going to disagree on leaving modifying behind. I work for Vivid Racing, I've worked for Flyin Miata. Modifying cars is in my blood. I'm in it for life. Sure I'm 25, but I don't have any plans of settling down for a while longer so a "grown-up" car can wait another 5 years or so. I do admire the IS300 quite a bit, good suggestion. Will look into it...
 
I've dealt with Vivid Racing in the past buying parts for my Evo, great company! Flying Miata, too!!

What kind of Subaru are you looking at, WRX? They're a good car for the money.
 
Older Subaru actually, like 96-97

Edit: On second thought, a nice 2.5 RS Coupe would be nice... :sly:
 
Last edited:
Subaru, eh? Or how about something little different, like SA22C RX-7 or perhaps a nice 944 or 968?
 
Buy a used/cheap F150 or similar and start your own business.

Nothing beats being your own boss and working to better yourself instead of someone else. If you mom is willing to shell out $$$ to buy you a car, see if she'd finance a business instead. With some google-fu, you should be able to find resources on SBA loans. You probably don't have the credit or collateral for a line-of-credit from a bank as you probably don't own your own home. No biggie...start small, do well, and once you have a nice stash of cash and some history with your biz - banks will beg for your business.

The most important lesson in business; it's cheaper to stay out of trouble than get out of trouble. Basically, get an accountant and depending on what you do, have a retainer ready at a law office.

And when you have your own $$$ to buy a hot car, you buy it and absorb it into the biz. Track days, parts, tires, flights to F1 races; business expenses!
 
So my mother got a call from my grandparents Christmas morning, and she was informed that my Grandfather had been investing in foreign oil for a while now. He didn't tell anyone because he wanted it to be a surprise, if and when the time came to tell everyone. Well now is that time, and they are cashing it in as we speak. We'll know in the next couple weeks, but it could be some serious cash.

So, knowing the problems I am having with my current automobile, she has informed by brother and I that she will help us get better cars when the time comes. Here's my dilemma:

1) Do I keep my 1994 Sentra SE-R that I am having problems with, completely replace the entire drivetrain and make it a nice car again? (SR20VE, SR16VE transmission, new axles, etc)

2) Sell the Sentra, buy another Miata ('95 R-Package) and do some things to it? (hard top, roll bar, exhaust, suspension, etc)

3) Buy something else? (Subaru?)

I figure the budget is going to be right around $10k. Depends on how much my mom actually receives. Opinions?

Can I have your brakes and wheels? owo
 
I'm going to disagree on leaving modifying behind.
Whatever floats your boat I suppose. My ideal situation would be two cars - my presentable, nice, comfortable, fun daily driver, and my ridiculous weekend car. Preferably a gnarly RX7 or nasty Miata. But, two cars are out of the question for quite a while.

Have you considered two cars? Say, a ~$6000 daily and a ~$4000 still-in-one-piece project?

I do admire the IS300 quite a bit, good suggestion. Will look into it...
To be honest, I'm jealous of that car. It's everything I want a car to be, from the built-in-Japan coolness to the lack of BMW stereotypes.
 
Whatever floats your boat I suppose. My ideal situation would be two cars - my presentable, nice, comfortable, fun daily driver, and my ridiculous weekend car. Preferably a gnarly RX7 or nasty Miata. But, two cars are out of the question for quite a while.

Have you considered two cars? Say, a ~$6000 daily and a ~$4000 still-in-one-piece project?

To be honest, I'm jealous of that car. It's everything I want a car to be, from the built-in-Japan coolness to the lack of BMW stereotypes.

I have considered two cars, but two problems. First, I live in an apartment complex and having two cars won't work there. And second, I may be traveling a lot in the near future, so having one car would be more than enough.

If I purchased an IS300, it would have to be a stick. And they're pretty rare, which I assume would jack up their value a little.
 
His is a manual and he bought it certified from a Lexus dealership. To be fair, this 100,000 mile car did need its transmission fluid replaced with GM-spec Synchromesh, which the dealer did free of charge. Otherwise, you wouldn't know it was used.

They're out there, you just have to wait. Don't look too hard, either. I've never bought a car I was actually looking for.
 
Buy a used/cheap F150 or similar and start your own business.

Nothing beats being your own boss and working to better yourself instead of someone else. If you mom is willing to shell out $$$ to buy you a car, see if she'd finance a business instead. With some google-fu, you should be able to find resources on SBA loans. You probably don't have the credit or collateral for a line-of-credit from a bank as you probably don't own your own home. No biggie...start small, do well, and once you have a nice stash of cash and some history with your biz - banks will beg for your business.

The most important lesson in business; it's cheaper to stay out of trouble than get out of trouble. Basically, get an accountant and depending on what you do, have a retainer ready at a law office.

And when you have your own $$$ to buy a hot car, you buy it and absorb it into the biz. Track days, parts, tires, flights to F1 races; business expenses!

:lol: at this guy.
 
Buy a used/cheap F150 or similar and start your own business.

Nothing beats being your own boss and working to better yourself instead of someone else. If you mom is willing to shell out $$$ to buy you a car, see if she'd finance a business instead. With some google-fu, you should be able to find resources on SBA loans. You probably don't have the credit or collateral for a line-of-credit from a bank as you probably don't own your own home. No biggie...start small, do well, and once you have a nice stash of cash and some history with your biz - banks will beg for your business.

The most important lesson in business; it's cheaper to stay out of trouble than get out of trouble. Basically, get an accountant and depending on what you do, have a retainer ready at a law office.

And when you have your own $$$ to buy a hot car, you buy it and absorb it into the biz. Track days, parts, tires, flights to F1 races; business expenses!

Good sir, I usually tell people to do something that makes more sense, but it usually relates, somehow, to what they were asking.

As to what an F-150 would let you do, I know not. Isn't the best money to be had in private contracting for labor, especially with the market. Would be better to just invest the money or invest it in an storefront in all odds.

So, good sir, I tip my hat to you in some how surpassing me in completely meaningless advice.

R1600, an E36 M3 in fairly good shape would fall into that category. Would have little things that need work but would be a nice daily and a fun Auto-X and track day car with a huge amount of potential if you ever wanted to go to town on it.
 
:lol: at this guy.

Business expenses! Here comes a relevant funny pic:

hold-a-meeting.jpg



Who's for a race meeting? ;)
 
Last edited:
R1600, an E36 M3 in fairly good shape would fall into that category. Would have little things that need work but would be a nice daily and a fun Auto-X and track day car with a huge amount of potential if you ever wanted to go to town on it.

I don't know about that one. I do like those cars, but it scares me to own a European car. (maintenance costs) :nervous:

If I bought a truck it would be a used 4WD Nissan Xterra, or a Chevrolet Colorado Sport. The Xterra I have seen for $10k or less with high miles. Don't think I can get a Colorado for that price.
 
So, good sir, I tip my hat to you in some how surpassing me in completely meaningless advice.

Which is probably why you'll spend the rest of your life working to make someone else rich. Have fun with that.

Buy a cheap truck and start your own business. Since OP is a car guy, it'll most likely be a business in the automotive realm and he'll put a truck to good use.

But if you think buying a 15 year old car is a better investment than starting a small business, well...being a business proprietor isn't for everyone.
 
02-03 RSX-S? Can be had for a hair under 10k nowadays... Lots of aftermarket potential, too.
 
Which is probably why you'll spend the rest of your life working to make someone else rich. Have fun with that.

Buy a cheap truck and start your own business. Since OP is a car guy, it'll most likely be a business in the automotive realm and he'll put a truck to good use.

But if you think buying a 15 year old car is a better investment than starting a small business, well...being a business proprietor isn't for everyone.

Yes, that must be it. I've no education nor any idea how businesses work. At all. Which is why I want you to again explain to me how a truck will let him start his own business. What kind of business? Yard care? Contracting? He'd have a better return rate investing the money and going to college rather than doing manual labor of any sort.

Your logic is painfully flawed, I do hope you are aware of this. Owning ones own business is no sure way to success, nor independence. Especially with the current economic trends where small businesses continue to go under.

R1600, the M3 isn't that bad for maintance costs. Once things get sorted on them, they are quite reliable as well. The biggest expenses as far as maintenance go tend to be replacing all the bushings every 70k miles and shocks. I know many people with E36 M3s with 200k miles. And all the known issues are clearly documented.

///M-spec could answer any questions on them in more detail than I can, as he has owned several E36s.
 
But when you own an F150, the sky's the limit! My uncle once owned an F150, and now he makes over $150,000 a year working at home!*










*Doing work for the government which took nearly a decade of college education to be qualified for, but still! F150!
 
I don't know about that one. I do like those cars, but it scares me to own a European car. (maintenance costs) :nervous:
Maintenance costs can be pricey...but will be on the Lexus also. It is a BMW, and it is a Lexus, after all.

Thankfully E36 Bimmers seem quite reliable. There are examples with 200,000 miles all over Craigslist. They're almost like Civics.
 
USDM E36 M3s are mostly made of tuned pedestrian Beamer parts rather than purpose built things like Euro M3s were, so they run for the most part unless you wreck them. I second giving ///M-Spec a message about the idea, though, because the man knows basically everything about them.
 
Yes, that must be it. I've no education nor any idea how businesses work. At all. Which is why I want you to again explain to me how a truck will let him start his own business. What kind of business? Yard care? Contracting? He'd have a better return rate investing the money and going to college rather than doing manual labor of any sort.

Are you illiterate? Honest question...
 
Are you illiterate? Honest question...

I think you should consider asking yourself that, as you've yet to answer any questions that have been asked of you. What kind of work would a younger person with an F-150 get? What kind of business could he start?

Not that hard, just answer the question.
 
He already said a small business. :p
 
He already said a small business. :p

I can't think of any small business run out of the back of an F-150...

Well, I can think of some but not sure how about their long term viability. Outside of Compton.
 
I think you should consider asking yourself that, as you've yet to answer any questions that have been asked of you. What kind of work would a younger person with an F-150 get? What kind of business could he start?

Not that hard, just answer the question.

You're illiterate.

Read the OP and take a wild guess what kind of business someone like that would start.
 
You're illiterate.

Read the OP and take a wild guess what kind of business someone like that would start.

A small business is pretty generic, I hope you realize this. I'd imagine you have something particular in mind for an F-150 rather than "small business" because I'm pretty sure if I did computer repair, I wouldn't need an F-150. Or ran a small bake shop, etc.

So, I'll ask more clearly - What type of small business?

As for the OP, I see nothing that would indicate what kind of business he'd be interested in running, or capable of. So I fail to see what me reading the OP has to do with my literacy or a small business.
 
The discipline to give up your interests while you get your foot in a door, any door, is hard to muster. I've just begun struggling through it and I already know it's not going to get any easier for years to come. Maybe never.
 
Back