Decisions, Decisions...

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 61 comments
  • 3,202 views
A small business is pretty generic, I hope you realize this. I'd imagine you have something particular in mind for an F-150 rather than "small business" because I'm pretty sure if I did computer repair, I wouldn't need an F-150. Or ran a small bake shop, etc.

So, I'll ask more clearly - What type of small business?

As for the OP, I see nothing that would indicate what kind of business he'd be interested in running, or capable of. So I fail to see what me reading the OP has to do with my literacy or a small business.

Here's what the OP said in this very thread;

I'm going to disagree on leaving modifying behind. I work for Vivid Racing, I've worked for Flyin Miata. Modifying cars is in my blood. I'm in it for life. Sure I'm 25, but I don't have any plans of settling down for a while longer so a "grown-up" car can wait another 5 years or so. I do admire the IS300 quite a bit, good suggestion. Will look into it...

Do you think if you own a car related business a truck would come in kinda handy? Hauling parts and towing cars would probably strain an M3.

But if you think he should go to college and invest the $$$ b/c he will get a better return, I'd like to see your portfolio and pictures of your home in Monaco. He'll need an expected return of 100% or more to finance college AND earn money on top of that initial investment.

$15,000 + SBA Loan can get your biz up and running. $15,000 + student loans can get you a degree. A diploma will not pay your bills, a business can.
 
So, one 25 year old kid can run a profitable speed shop?
 
Wouldn't be the 1st time and won't be the last...

And how does he get started and steal business away from the already established and reputable shops, instead of going under within the first 4 months?
 
And how does he get started and steal business away from the already established and reputable shops, instead of going under within the first 4 months?

Starting a business is taking a chance.

What's to say he doesn't get laid off 4mo from now? What's to say that the job market is crap 4 years from now for a 29/30 year old with a fresh diploma and no real work experience in that time?

Everything you do has risk. There is no college degree or class that can guarantee a successful business. But the bigger the risk, the greater the reward.

My advice is for the OP to think about starting a business. Give it a thought, talk to people, do some research, and see if he thinks it's something he can and wants to do. It's his decision.

If he decides he want to 'go for it' (no kids/wife/mortgage helps...a lot) - good for him. Buy a truck, it'll come in handy when you pick up a Craigslist trailer or 4-post lift.

If he decides to err on the side of caution, don't buy a cheap truck.

He has 'decisions' - I'm just giving him another option.
 
How about the Acura TSX? Although it's still in the high end of your budget, you should be able to pick up an earlier one for about $10k

I will... hesitantly second the suggestion of a E36 3 series, as long as you find one that's well maintained. I have a friend who's had one with over 200k miles with very little TLC. For his car, the engine itself was reliable, but lots of mechanical bits and pieces needed replacing due to wear and age at that point. The electronics also were starting to go schizophrenic. It sounds like you'll pretty much be a DIYer, and if that's the case, maintenance shouldn't be too expensive; cost of BMW parts are not THAT obscene.
 
You are giving an option that has a high rate of failure, and no need for an F-150. This economy isn't exactly great for "luxury" item type shops, which would include speed shops.

Plus, he would be more profitable going to school for automotive engineering and then working in that field, than he would running his own speed shop for 10 years. And far less risk. A degree may not pay bills on its own, but it certainly gives more options than a business that has a relatively high chance of failure. And would leave him less in debt that a SBA Loan.

And the greater the risk does not mean the greater the reward.

Also, may we ask what it is that you do that makes you so knowledgable in the field of opening up an auto shop? And why an F-150 would be so import to it? Because at the moment, I am just thinking you've seen too many movies perhaps

X7jR5.jpg
 
You are giving an option that has a high rate of failure, and no need for an F-150. This economy isn't exactly great for "luxury" item type shops, which would include speed shops.

Speed shop, tune up shop, car detailing, body shop, machine shop, used cars or any combination of the above can work if you're smart with your money. No one ever got rich turning wrenches for someone else. At 25 years old; there isn't a better time to take this chance as you're not burdened with a wife, kids, or an upside down mortgage.

Plus, he would be more profitable going to school for automotive engineering and then working in that field, than he would running his own speed shop for 10 years. And far less risk. A degree may not pay bills on its own, but it certainly gives more options than a business that has a relatively high chance of failure. And would leave him less in debt that a SBA Loan.

Tell that to the hundreds of engineers that have been laid off by Ford, GM, Chrysler, and their respective suppliers.

And the greater the risk does not mean the greater the reward.

Yes it does. Risk nothing, gain nothing...

Also, may we ask what it is that you do that makes you so knowledgable in the field of opening up an auto shop?

Wouldn't you like to know :sly:
(hint: search some of my previous posts in other threads, I'm done spelling things out for you)

And why an F-150 would be so import to it? Because at the moment, I am just thinking you've seen too many movies perhaps

Once again your illiteracy rears its ugly head.
 
I'm fairly sure I am literate. Fairly, though I might be mistaken. However, you may want to evaluate your ability to formulate a rational argument and defend it successfully, because you are the only in here thinking opening a small business in a recession is a good idea. I see more conditional statements in your "solid plan" than I've found in freshmen essays at university.

As for the actual purpose of this thread, R1600, if you are concerned about the reliablity on the M3, an IS300 would be a solid option. It just isn't quite as well done for a sport sedan, but a solidly reliable car with a good platform and an amazing engine to start from, even if it isn't turbo'd from the factory. I just feel the IS300 is a bit more... pedestrian, while the M3 would be a more rewarding car to drive.
 
The smart option is to get a car that is reliable, cheapish to maintain, doesn't kill you on insurance or reregistration and fuel bills.

Sadly all those things make a car slow and not so awesome.

So as with most things in life its a compromise.

Personally I would try to get a car thats is as new as possible, but since your good with cars, maybe you can get away with something older and cheaper and keep the spare cash for parts / modifications.
 
So, uh..... no business for me doing training soon to get my CDL. :)

So many choices...
 
I'm thinking BS just has an F150 for sale in Arizona.
 
Well, in all sense of reasonability, I'd suggest spending the $10K on a car (or truck) that will last a while and not require a whole lot of work. That being said, there is absolutely no fun in that. So, to make some slightly reasonable, fun choices...


1. 2004 - 2009 Mazda3
They're reliable, fuel-friendly, and an absolute blast to drive. I damn-near bought a 2009 model two years ago, and I'm a little sad that I did not. Everything about the car is reasonable, and yet it is still considered to be one of the best drivers cars that you can buy. Find a well cared for 2.3s and I think you would be pretty happy. That MZR is a helluva engine, and in wagon form, I'll carry all your stuff for work and school, and a bit of fun.


2. 2007-2009 Honda Fit Sport
Like the Mazda, it is probably one of the best-driving cars money can buy. You can put stuff in it. It will most likely run forever, as long as you take care of it. Go for it. Plus, like, the back seats are a like, a couch... Man.[/I


Uhhh, other than that, I can only think of my irresponsible Volkswagen choices. Which is what I'd end up buying anyway. So, yeah. Go for that.
 
I'm fairly sure I am literate. Fairly, though I might be mistaken. However, you may want to evaluate your ability to formulate a rational argument and defend it successfully, because you are the only in here thinking opening a small business in a recession is a good idea. I see more conditional statements in your "solid plan" than I've found in freshmen essays at university.

Starting a business in a recession can be a great idea as there are different opportunities than there would normally be in a bull economy. It's about controlling costs and overhead. Entering a lease right now is a lot less expensive than pre-2008. If you have suppliers, 30-day payments can be negotiated to 60/90-day payments. These things add up. And if you're 25 and don't have a mortgage, children, a wife, and lots of debt - you're in pretty good shape.

Live in your mom's basement for a couple months, don't go partying every weekend, and keep the money in the business. A good CPA will show you how to minimize your tax liabilities. So even though you may not draw a salary, you can still have some money in your pocket. Give it a while, learn from your mistakes, and control your pocketbook; easier said than done though. Wanting to go nuts w/a Snap-On catalog or selling things/services you like instead of what people demand are sure-fire ways to sink your business.

There are opportunities out there and if the OP has the funds and motivation to seize a good one, he should go for it.

....

You are not literate.

I suggested that the cash influx may be better spent on a work truck and opening a small business. It's a suggestion or option for the OP to mull around. In addition, I never posted a business "plan". Telling someone to do research and check out SBA loans isn't a plan. Removed

Removed, a Removed, and an Removed, there's no reason to think the OP is. I don't think he is anyway. Good mechanics tend to be of the street-smart variety; something you can't learn or major in 'at university'.

If the OP is happy working with cars, what's wrong with trying to find a way to make working with cars pay better while being your own boss? Nothing in my book.

I'm thinking BS just has an F150 for sale in Arizona.

No, but I do have a '99 S-10 4.3L that's available. :)
[very low miles & absolutely cherry]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are not literate.

I suggested that the cash influx may be better spent on a work truck and opening a small business. It's a suggestion or option for the OP to mull around. In addition, I never posted a business "plan". Telling someone to do research and check out SBA loans isn't a plan. Your illiteracy is breathtaking.

So while you may be a loser, a failure, and an illiterate, there's no reason to think the OP is. I don't think he is anyway. Good mechanics tend to be of the street-smart variety; something you can't learn or major in 'at university'.

I find irony you love using this word so much that, from what I've gathered, you have no actual understanding of its meaning.

You aren't worth my time, seeing as how 90% of your post revolve around insulting those that are in disagreement with you. More so when you continue to press your point after the OP has expressed no interest in it to attempt to get the last word just furthers the appearance of trolling. Which makes sense, given your nature to side-step any question asked with insulting the intelligence of the person inquiring.

But such is the hubris of ignorant people.
 
No, but I do have a '99 S-10 4.3L that's available. :)
[very low miles & absolutely cherry]

Use the edit button next time instead of double posting, or use the multi-quote button to automatically add quotes in your next post.




If R1600 started a car shop he would also have to be paying all sorts of insurance. Insuring the property. The truck. Covering customer vehicles while in his possession. He'd be stuck living in his mom's basement for the next 10 years before he would start having enough profits left over to put into a house. And at the end of the day he doesn't have his own car to modify because he made the decision that he wants to run his own business and modify other people's cars for a small profit.
 
@BrutherSuperior,
you're sailing too close to the wind. Change tack now before you go further into the No Go Zone. Don't end up In Irons.
 
I hopped onto NASIOC last night and glanced at the cars for sale section. There were a few 99-00 2.5RS Coupes with newer STi swaps for around $10k. Close to my area too. Interesting...
 
@BrutherSuperior,
you're sailing too close to the wind. Change tack now before you go further into the No Go Zone. Don't end up In Irons.

Story of my life.

Since OP is getting his CDL, starting a business is moot anyway. Good money can be made, if you can hack it that is.
 
So after a few days of looking around and thinking, I've come to the conclusion that this is my best chance to get into semi-professional racing and I'm going to try my best to make it happen. So the plan right now is to sell the Sentra and buy a cheap Miata. I'll drive it around long enough for the money to show up, then I'll purchase one of these:

112_0905_01l+2009_chevrolet_colorado_v-8+front_three_quarter.jpg


Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 (Sport)

After that purchase, I'll be purchasing a trailer and putting the Miata under the knife for transformation into a weekend racer. :)

Thanks for the help guys.
 
You want to race?

kartkf1200702.jpg


Yes, seriously. The cheapest (less painfully expensive), most accessible, purest form of racing. If you want to improve your skills and race well, this is where you do it. Micheal Schumacher didn't start in Miatas.
 
I understand that, and would do that in a heartbeat if I could. But I have issues with my ribs/sternum that prevents me from doing things were I'm being bounced around. I've done go karts in the past, and after a lap or two I had to get out cause I couldn't breathe. :(
 
A Colorado? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (times 10).
 
Dude, that's a bad-ass truck. (of small trucks) I've wanted one since they first came out. Install an exhaust on it and they sound like a freakin Viper. :D

 
Is that the 5.3L?

Edit: *watches video*


Nevermind. :D
 
Okay, it sounds cool, but that's besides the fact that it's the worst small truck on the market. Worse than a Ranger. In fact, I think the Ranger is still the best selling small truck because it does exactly what a small truck should do, does it well, does it cheap, and does it forever. The Colorado? It has five cylinders! It doesn't have the power of a 6 with the mileage of a 4. It has the power of a 5 with the mileage of a 5. It's retarded and I would never buy one.
 
And generally you can find a full size truck with a V8 that gets the same mileage as a smaller one for about the same price. And it'll likely feel a lot more confident with a trailer behind it.
 
I get that some of you don't like the truck, but that's you. I like it, and being that I am 5'6 and 130lbs a smaller truck is more of a good fit for me. I don't think it'll have any issue pulling a small trailer with a 2,000 lb Miata on it.
 
I don't understand. You create a topic asking about what car to buy. Then when you go a bit off the rails a bit and decide to buy what it pretty much the worst vehicle (apart from maybe the Dakota) you can get in a market segment of already questionable value, you act apprehensive when people comment on that?

I'll be frank about this: You know what also wouldn't have any problem pulling a small trailer with a 2000 pound Miata in it? A Tacoma. A Frontier. A Ranger.
 
Back