Defensive driving vs being a d***

  • Thread starter Thread starter NommyNom
  • 43 comments
  • 2,886 views
Messages
220
United States
United States
Messages
nommy44
I can't race the best line because opponents will just dive the inside, then proceed to run slower laps and make it difficult to chase the leaders. Hugging the inside makes you slower which increase chances of getting bumped off anyway. I personally hate the late-brake-hero's, plus it's not my style of attack, but I plan for them and, *sigh*, leave room. I personally go for faster exit speeds but half the time I get blocked (d*** move or does it fall into the "one defensive move per straight rule" but not really a rule) so;

I know this is a place where I need improvement but when it comes to driving a defensive line, what are some tips you guys have?
 
It depends on situation, there are no strict rules. But defensive driving is generally always considered to be a bit cheap, mostly when carried out in places where it isn't really necessary. If you adapt to the moves your opponent is making, you're one step ahead of him already.
 
I tend to not go defensive, or at least not unless it's a really close race. If someone is faster or just trying to divebomb you then let them through; don't turn in until the coast is clear to avoid getting punted off. If they are faster then hey ho. If they don't pull away then try to force or just wait for a mistake from them.
 
I can't race the best line because opponents will just dive the inside, then proceed to run slower laps and make it difficult to chase the leaders. Hugging the inside makes you slower which increase chances of getting bumped off anyway. I personally hate the late-brake-hero's, plus it's not my style of attack, but I plan for them and, *sigh*, leave room. I personally go for faster exit speeds but half the time I get blocked (d*** move or does it fall into the "one defensive move per straight rule" but not really a rule) so;

I know this is a place where I need improvement but when it comes to driving a defensive line, what are some tips you guys have?

NommyNom - I experience the same over and over (very disturbing as they should even be able to reach me before the turn - but they come in with full (unable speed for the corner) but if we both get pushed off I GET 10 SECONDES - penalty???? Been racing real life myself - cars and mc's - you just don't behave like that on a racetrack! This game makes me wonder....... do I have to learn the technic on how to push cars off their racing line ????? Very abnormal!! Thanks for sharing!
 
I can't race the best line because opponents will just dive the inside, then proceed to run slower laps and make it difficult to chase the leaders. Hugging the inside makes you slower which increase chances of getting bumped off anyway. I personally hate the late-brake-hero's, plus it's not my style of attack, but I plan for them and, *sigh*, leave room.

The difference in a race over a time trial hot lapping on a clear track is that you need to adjust your lines to overtake another car and if the leading car utilizes their position on the track to force the overtaking car to use the non preferred line to complete the pass for position putting your overtaking car at a disadvantage then they are within their rights to do so.

Whether the lines he is choosing to run is actually slowing the pace is not actually a factor.

There is a lot of difference in throwing an intentional blocking move over using your lead car advantage to occupy the preferred line on the track whether that be entering, through or exiting a corner or all of the above.

You may feel a car is slower than you but this is a race not a track day and if that lead driver runs defensive lines hugging the inside of the corner forcing a pass to be made on the the outside it is your responsibility to find a way to make the overtake without contact. If you cannot do that in traffic then you do not deserve to gain that position.

We all race against people faster and slower and racing you have to adjust to the conditions and the traffic around you.
 
*GASP* the language!
That being the point.

If "dick" is profanity, it should be censored. If it isn't, it's not necessary to censor it. Partially censoring it is neither of those things - and rather smacks of someone acknowledging they shouldn't be typing what they're typing, but still wants to let every know what they mean by it. That's basically a giant "**** you" to our rules about profanity.

Don't partially censor words. If our word filter censors it, it was meant to be censored. If it doesn't, it probably* wasn't meant to be censored.

I'll let you decide whether you want dick in your title or not and you can amend it appropriately yourself.


*The censor sometimes won't catch portmanteau profanity, but it should be obvious that the part that would be censored if left on its own isn't suddenly acceptable in a portmanteau, or creatively retyped profanity which is covered by what I said above.
 
That being the point.

If "dick" is profanity, it should be censored. If it isn't, it's not necessary to censor it. Partially censoring it is neither of those things - and rather smacks of someone acknowledging they shouldn't be typing what they're typing, but still wants to let every know what they mean by it. That's basically a giant "**** you" to our rules about profanity.

Don't partially censor words. If our word filter censors it, it was meant to be censored. If it doesn't, it probably* wasn't meant to be censored.

I'll let you decide whether you want dick in your title or not and you can amend it appropriately yourself.


*The censor sometimes won't catch portmanteau profanity, but it should be obvious that the part that would be censored if left on its own isn't suddenly acceptable in a portmanteau, or creatively retyped profanity which is covered by what I said above.

Did you mean" 🤬 you"?
:D:bowdown::lol:
 
This is one of the reasons I hate racing online in this game. People do not take corners correctly and will often just ram their car up beside yours, using you as a barrier and pushing you wide. You get a SR penalty, they might too, but they get the position and you lose momentum. It's extremely frustrating. I wish they'd bring out a mode where everyone is a Ghost Car (cars a lap down should all be ghost cars, can't believe they're not).
 
Did you mean" 🤬 you"?
No. Our word filter replaces words with asterisks appropriate to the length of word. As you can see, from that post and the one above this one, it was doing its job (although in the case of the post above, that could have been established by a post preview, rather than making a completely pointless post).
 
Sounds like somebody's name is Dick :dopey:

And that's the best way of saying it, even with PSN's overly strict filters... I've used: "Next time try acting like a Richard instead of being a total Dick!" It works, is semi-amusing (usually gets lol's) and gets the point across without being censored.

Cheers
 
I must admit I do drive defensively myself but only for a few corners. Just don't want to make it to easy for someone to pass but if they're clearly faster especially if its earlier in the race then it only makes sense to let them through where it hurts my lap time the least.

defensive driving is a legitimate part of racing its part of the game, as long as they don't push you out etc. In theory once your past you should pull away anyway.
 
Instead of hugging the inside you can also opt to position yourself more to the middle of the track (dont block obviously). By doing this you force the attacker to make a decision. Tuck back behind, try to go around or go for the inside. You still leave the chance for them to bomb you but your making this option less apealing. Because now when they still go for the inside they will have to enter the corner very slow or they will overshoot. When they go for the inside and you trust the attacker you can then opt to go back outside and enter the corner faster staying alongside or in front on entry, leave room on the apex and nail him on exit. Or when you dont trust him you can hope he will overshoot and you cut back across or fall behind when he doesnt and try to get a better exit to take it back next straight/corner.

It depends on the corner ofcourse wether this will be a viable tactic but i apply it allot. You need to be flexible though and able to adjust lines on the go depending on what the attacker decides to do. You will lose less time this way instead then when your alway hugging the inside.

When you do want to defend the inside though go all the way inside, wait for them to pull out and get slightly alongside, when they do and your still far enough in front for them to see you gently pull back to the middle placing yourself in the middle and attacker on the outside. Brake early and control the line from there. But try to not stay glued to the inside white line as it will cost you to much speed.
 
Last edited:
Defensive driving is a skill. Its not simply a case of hugging the very inside.

Sometimes if the corner coming up is a medium speed corner you only need to move your car over fractionally to the centre to be defensive. The aim being to be defensive but equally not compromise too much exit speed.

That said, we all need to take some responsibility in helping the online racing community and being aggressive defensively on the first lap or two against an opponent that is evidently much much quicker probably isnt the wisest idea as chances are you will both end up in a collison.

I tend to adopt the approach of only being significantly more defensive in the last couple of laps and where i can be satisfied the person behind is competent enough to battle with.

If they look like a complete lunatic i will just tend to let them past as its surprising the amount of times they simply go off all by themselves afterwards.

The one thing i do always do if im battling with a competent driver is if i am the one doing the overtaking and i accidentally collide with them enabling me to get past i will ease off and let them back past as a way of apology.

It would be good if more people did this but each to their own really. I only tend to do this because im not really bothered about winning, i find having clean battles for any position far more enjoyable than winning.
 
Letting people by in GTS is pointless in most races. Chances are you will just get another idiot on your tail shortly afterwards = rinse and repeat.

I am still beyond frustrated by many races, but usually stay clear of the chaos and finish well. I will likely jump ship this xmas though since I do not think GTS will improve any time soon. But my advice would be:

1. Separate qualifying from racing. Your qualifying pace/line do not have to be the same as your race pace.

2. When finding your race lines, try to avoid threshold braking in most corners. I only threshold brake in slower corners / hairpins. This avoids being bumped by people who cannot react in time.

3. When under pressure, pick a line that will make it difficult for the car behind even if it slows you down. Think ahead. Make sure you come out of a corner positioned well to deny the other driver a good entry into the next corner.

4. If you think the car behind might go for the inside, block that line. It will force him outside instead, likely into the barrier or gravel.

5. It doesn't matter if the car behind came up faster or is perceived to have a better race pace. It's still his job to overtake. Your job is to make it as hard for him as possible. If he gets impatient and rams you off, then so be it. That's on him. Do not race with a mindset of being scared of other drivers, it will only slow you down.

I honestly think that if people start to drive GTS with the mindset of avoiding idiots by letting them by or adapting their driving style to cope, then we have all lost.
 
NommyNom - I experience the same over and over (very disturbing as they should even be able to reach me before the turn - but they come in with full (unable speed for the corner) but if we both get pushed off I GET 10 SECONDES - penalty???? Been racing real life myself - cars and mc's - you just don't behave like that on a racetrack! This game makes me wonder....... do I have to learn the technic on how to push cars off their racing line ????? Very abnormal!! Thanks for sharing!
Of course people do not behave like that in real Life, in real life this would have real consequences, least of all damage to your car. There are no such consequences in the game, it is up to each individual to at least try and race in an appropriate manner, if they don't that is not the game's fault, it is the people who are either not too good at racing or just delight in wrecking everyone's effort
 
Letting people by in GTS is pointless in most races. Chances are you will just get another idiot on your tail shortly afterwards = rinse and repeat.

.

Well not really. Eventually you will slot into a position where your naturally in the right position for your pace.
 
Well not really. Eventually you will slot into a position where your naturally in the right position for your pace.
Not if it's a reasonably tight field, and said idiot(s) do not necessarily have to be faster. I am sure we have both been in a situation where we are faster, but someone behind is repeatedly using us as brakes in the corners due to simply not braking themselves.
The solution to that situation is not letting them by IMHO, it's forcing them to pick a bad line and watching them wipe out in the mirror.
 
No. Our word filter replaces words with asterisks appropriate to the length of word. As you can see, from that post and the one above this one, it was doing its job (although in the case of the post above, that could have been established by a post preview, rather than making a completely pointless post).
I guess the appropriate interpretation would be:
Upper case D = diminutive of Richard
Lower case d = slang for Male reproductive Organ
 
I nearly always let people through, if they are faster than me they normally take me along with them , if they are Richards you normally pass them again when they next take a close up view of the barrier

Had a great race the other night after letting a Lambo through, he pulled me along two seconds a lap faster than normal we passed six cars before the finish
 
interpretation
It doesn't need interpretation. Words are either fully censored or they are uncensored. Partially censoring them isn't acceptable. If the censor doesn't censor them (aside from the conditions I mentioned above), they don't need censoring.
 
It amuses me when people drive "defensively"... as if championship points, sponsorship $ or career opportunities are at risk.
I don't "let people by" but i sure as heck don't hold anyone up on purpose either. I run the racing line that works best for me, if they are good enough to get by, so be it, if not, then so be that too.
I much rather try and race a spot back, then hold onto a spot by "defensive" driving. Defensive driving to me says, I'm not confident in my ability to race you back, so, I'll just be Mr. Jack-o-lantren. I feel bad for those people.
 
It doesn't matter, whenever I try to cover the inside line the chasing car just bumps me off the track, he then proceeds to finish at least 5 spots above me with a blue S at that.
 
What about defending at mid corner or corner exit? Is the leading person supposed to use correct/fastest line at corner exit?
Catalunya's long right hander for example. (Or any other single corner before straight). Quite often i've seen the leading person using less than 50% of the track at corner exit forcing the attacker to backout inside line pass attempt.
Edit: In theory the leading person is allowed to choose which line to use, but is it allowed to close inside line either at entry and exit? Basically just keep turning in, making sure that the opponent wont get faster exit.
 
Last edited:
Back