Defensive driving vs being a d***

  • Thread starter Thread starter NommyNom
  • 43 comments
  • 2,886 views
It amuses me when people drive "defensively"... as if championship points, sponsorship $ or career opportunities are at risk.
I don't "let people by" but i sure as heck don't hold anyone up on purpose either. I run the racing line that works best for me, if they are good enough to get by, so be it, if not, then so be that too.
I much rather try and race a spot back, then hold onto a spot by "defensive" driving. Defensive driving to me says, I'm not confident in my ability to race you back, so, I'll just be Mr. Jack-o-lantren. I feel bad for those people.
I don't think you fully understand defensive driving.
 
It amuses me when people drive "defensively"... as if championship points, sponsorship $ or career opportunities are at risk.
I don't "let people by" but i sure as heck don't hold anyone up on purpose either. I run the racing line that works best for me, if they are good enough to get by, so be it, if not, then so be that too.
I much rather try and race a spot back, then hold onto a spot by "defensive" driving. Defensive driving to me says, I'm not confident in my ability to race you back, so, I'll just be Mr. Jack-o-lantren. I feel bad for those people.
LoL there is nothing wrong with defensive driving and doing it well and correct is a skill any serious driver should have. Plus the satisfaction of passing someone who defended good for a couple laps is way bigger then passing someone who doesnt even try to defend. Imo it is the other way around and when people dont dare to defend they are not confident enough to battle. Mind you i am not saying always defend, picking when to go defensive and when not is also part of the skill.
 
Defensive driving is all well and good. Just to not shove someone off the track just because that driver does not want the other driver to pass. I do very clean racing, as minimal contact as possible and anyone who sees me on track will see that. Will start playing Christmas night so if you see this nickname online, know that i am a clean racer. I will do defensive driving to defend my position but if you try to pass me, i will hold my line. RacingChamp30 will be the id i will be using online. It is just all lower case here on GT Planet.
 
Unsure if this has been said to much discussion on language i skipped a lot.

If you have part of your car along side i give room and expect the same if your behind i should be able to take the racing line without out a dive bomb. Although it doesn't work like that i freak most times when someone is behind me in gtsport thinking the next corner is the end of the race. In time thing's will improve with the SR it has to or the fia will move on and that will be bad for PD
 
Choosing different lines and placing your car precisely while defending or attacking is loads of fun. Especially if you are in a 3 or 4 way battle with others that can command their cars just the same.

Try practicing the defensive line during qualifying. Creep over to the middle of the track and note the adjustments that affect your speed. Then move over to the inside line and do the same. Prioritize those corners that have the biggest impact on lap times (leading to a straight, slow corners, chicanes) and do this over the entire track. You will gain insights that you can exploit during a race.
 
Don't partially censor words. If our word filter censors it, it was meant to be censored. If it doesn't, it probably* wasn't meant to be censored.

This is why I rely on the sites filter as different areas of the world do indeed look at words differently.

If you call someone dick here in the states, it's possible you'll get socked in the face.

In the UK, so far as I understand Dick is a nickname for Richard and is entirely acceptable.
 
If I can't catch the person in front of me, and if the person behind is gaining on me...why wouldn't I drive defensively? It's fun you know.
 
If I can't catch the person in front of me, and if the person behind is gaining on me...why wouldn't I drive defensively? It's fun you know.
Yes but when you think the guy behind can also catch the guy in front sometimes it can be a good tactic to let him pass so he can catch up and see if you can profit when they start battling.
 
I don't think you fully understand defensive driving.
:), fair statement... having gone back and read exactly what I posted... I'll add more descriptive narrative.
I'm all for taking different lines than I typically would call the racing line for "my" driving style, changing up my strategy if you will, driving opposite of the attacker... watching the mirror to see what they are doing/gaining, to counter their driving style... I'll race differently if i need to.
But as far as changing lanes as a "reaction", or purposelessly slowing my pace simply to cover the inside/outside, or making a "move" right after I've made a slip to intentionally get in their way and force them to stay behind... nope.
I'll race you hard, but I'm not going out of my way to "defend". If I need go out of my way to defend, then, all I'm doing is slowing us both up to get caught up in the next wave of racers.

I think there are a fair number of racers that blur... "defend" vs "react in order to get in the way". I guess what I'm getting at, is... I'll "race", but I'm not going to "impede".
Now, if hundreds of thousands of dollars were on the line, or my future livelihood... I might just be inclined to impede. :).
 
Last edited:
It doesn't matter, whenever I try to cover the inside line the chasing car just bumps me off the track, he then proceeds to finish at least 5 spots above me with a blue S at that.
AGREE!
 
This is why I rely on the sites filter as different areas of the world do indeed look at words differently.

If you call someone dick here in the states, it's possible you'll get socked in the face.

In the UK, so far as I understand Dick is a nickname for Richard and is entirely acceptable.
No, if you call someone a dick here it means exactly the same. And it's also a nickname for Richard in the US e.g. Dick Cheney.
 
I do know one thing, if you're swerving all over the track on a straight trying to block your line, someone will take exception to it. One move per straight is fine in my view, but again the driver etiquette section doesn't go into nearly enough detail about this beyond stating that contact is bad. It doesn't take a world champion to explain it. But presumably this is what PD will include in the Hamilton endorsement for a cheap headline.
 
The corner that best describes defensive driving for me is Druids hairpin at brands hatch, the fast line is a slightly late turn in then on the power early down the hill , however if you tried that line in a race the guy behind would just dive bomb up the inside and force you wide , if you watch races there everyone hugs a long apex making any one looking to over take go the long way round the outside, you can't leave big gaps wanting to take the fastest line in a race and not expect someone to stick there car there , I never let someone past easily no matter how fast they are but eventually they usually get along side or I make a mistake and they have the corner, what you can't do is constantly swerve around or brake test in apexs , being a tiny bit late on gas out of a corner works well though if they've carried more speed through the corner . Happy racing :)
 
No, if you call someone a dick here it means exactly the same. And it's also a nickname for Richard in the US e.g. Dick Cheney.

I had completely forgot about the man with hunting issues.
So we do have at least one Dick in America.
I imagine it's all in the context of how the word is used.
 
Back