Delorean To Come Back As A Ev

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 33 comments

Novalee

(Banned)
Canada
Earth
https://insideevs.com/news/467471/delorean-dmc-12-come-back-electric/

"In a brilliant move – if you ask us – the new DeLorean Motor Company is considering “an all-electric as the future.” The company argues that it would make “for an easier path through emissions maze which still looms large over any internal combustion engine” and that customers would probably welcome an electric DMC 12 in a way an electric Cobra never would be, for example."

I was about to ask how long it's been since they first announced these plans, but I see that the article mentions it was first brought up around 2007. Though I guess when you're talking about a car that's most famous for being a time machine, a 14 year wait is a bit irrelevant. :lol:

I'm more curious about the stainless steel body panels, if they're really making all new vehicles. One of the major costs of restoring existing DMC-12s is getting those repaired, since the original molds were chucked into the ocean about 35 years ago and making new ones is more or less impossible now. If they have enough spares laying around to put together even five whole cars, I'd be pretty impressed.

I need sumthin with a little more kick......Plutonium! Whoa Whoa, you telling me this sucker is Nuclear?!!!!

NO Marty, It's Electric! :lol:

https://insideevs.com/news/467471/delorean-dmc-12-come-back-electric/

"In a brilliant move – if you ask us – the new DeLorean Motor Company is considering “an all-electric as the future.” The company argues that it would make “for an easier path through emissions maze which still looms large over any internal combustion engine” and that customers would probably welcome an electric DMC 12 in a way an electric Cobra never would be, for example."

It is indeed a brilliant move. I bet Elon Musk buys the company, and that's not even a joke.

It is indeed a brilliant move. I bet Elon Musk buys the company, and that's not even a joke.
I'm not really sure why he would since they won't be doing anything Tesla hasn't already done, and nobody outside '80s nostalgia buffs and current DMC-12 owners even care about DeLorean these days. This seems more like the same route the aforementioned Cobra is going, a low-volume boutique car for people who have a large-ish chunk of money, but not nearly enough to obtain one of the original cars.

I'm not really sure why he would since they won't be doing anything Tesla hasn't already done

That's part of the point, Tesla are doing it and know how to do it very well.

nobody outside '80s nostalgia buffs and current DMC-12 owners even care about DeLorean these day

It's recognisable, it's old-school cool, it has a cult following and even did pretty well in the World Cup of Movie Cars right here. I think it has more popularity than you think it does... and Tesla tech inside a DeLorean brand could be ubercool.

That's not a reason for Musk to buy the company. That's a reason why it could be beneficial for the new DMC if they did; which is more than countered by how the exemptions that exists to allow the new DMC to resume serial production from NOS parts like they've been trying to do for the past decade+ would cease to exist if it was rolled up into Tesla.

Last edited:
That's part of the point, Tesla are doing it and know how to do it very well.
And they have no need to redo it in someone else's car because of that. Considering that there would be extensive cost in recreating the molds for the stainless steel body panels, creating a new facility to cast them, then further expense to design all the underlying components to fit it into the DMC body, then either take resources away from the Gigafactories or build yet another new facility to assemble the cars, there's no way they could sell them for less than the already existing Model S. And with three new models soon to start production, Elon turning his attention more to SpaceX lately and a large number of shareholders who are expecting return on their investments Really Soon Now, buying the remnants of DeLorean just to more or less reskin a car they're already selling is hardly a wise use of money they technically still don't have.

It's recognisable, it's old-school cool, it has a cult following and even did pretty well in the World Cup of Movie Cars right here. I think it has more popularity than you think it does... and Tesla tech inside a DeLorean brand could be ubercool.
Minor noteriety and a poll on an Internet forum with a couple thousand members do not translate into guaranteed car sales. And considering the plans for an electric DeLorean have been around for almost a decade and a half, and Tesla has been mass producing cars for the majority of that time, I would presume that if Elon were interested he would have made a move by now.

Last edited:
And they have no need to redo it in someone else's car because of that. Considering that there would be extensive cost in recreating the molds for the stainless steel body panels, creating a new facility to cast them, then further expense to design all the underlying components to fit it into the DMC body, then either take resources away from the Gigafactories or build yet another new facility to assemble the cars, there's no way they could sell them for less than the already existing Model S.

I was talking more about the brand and IP, not simply forcing Tesla mechanicals into old chassis. I think the brands are a good match, but I guess we disagree.

Minor noteriety and a poll on an Internet forum with a couple thousand members

Where's that? I don't know you outside GTP.

And considering the plans for an electric DeLorean have been around for almost a decade and a half, and Tesla has been mass producing cars for the majority of that time, I would presume that if Elon were interested he would have made a move by now.

The last one was over a decade ago as I recall, and who knows Musk's mind... anyone who calls their child after a soap powder barcode is quite mad. The whole De Lorean thing seems such a good fit.

The brand and IP is the old chassis. The company exists entirely in service towards people who currently own DeLoreans or want to buy restored DeLoreans, providing them with parts and service that only they can actually provide. The electrification efforts have been a continuation of that service. It's almost certainly the case that the overwhelming majority of the value of the Texas DMC is the NOS parts that they bought from the original DMC which would be useless for anyone else.

Tesla gains nothing by buying the company that bought the remnants of the original company just to stripmine the name from it and discard the rest.

Last edited:
If it weren't for Giugiaro's amazing designwork, the DMC-12 would be entirely forgettable. I don't even think it would've been featured in BttF if Giugiaro hadn't worked on it.

Last edited:
I don't even think it would've been featured in BttF if Giugiaro hadn't worked on it.
IMDB says "The DeLorean was deliberately selected for its general appearance and gull wing doors, in order to make it plausible that people in 1955 would presume it to be an alien spacecraft.", so take what you will from that.

What the heck would they call it? The Delorean Doc? The Marty? The original car was literally just called a Delorean so idk.

It looks good.

Is the coupe/supercar another actual thing or was that just a render?

Back