Delta wing indycar concept

• Thread starter red7
  • 66 comments
The car is starting to grow on me. Although one big question is on my mind. Are they expecting them to change the rules for this car to race?

IRL Regulations:
Weight: 1,565lbs-1,630lbs depending on circuit or road course.
Width: 77.5in.-78.5in.
Wheelbase: 121.5-122in.

Delta Wing:
Weight: 1,030lbs
Width: 70in. (At the rear tires)
Wheelbase: 125in.

Yeah they would have to change the rules. 600 lbs lighter would be significant and should help make up alot of the speed the car loses to the older one because of no wings and the narrow front and skinny tires.

What really concerns me about the Delta wing is drivers clipping the inside of corners with the wide rear. How are they suppose to know how far to push it when they have no visual reference? Im guessing they'll learn to adapt.

I think the Delta Wing is the future of road cars now. At some point auto makers are going to start to scale back the size of vehicles. Then they will focus on making them as efficient as possible, not just with smaller engines that get good fuel mileage and perform well with a light weight car like the delta wing but also with very high tech, shapely aero slippery cars like the Delta Wing. I remember reading some article about this car that got insane MPG, and it was shappe like a flying saucer.

Wings are useless to the general public transportation and if racing wants to be a technological testing bed that helps road cars they have to go because they do nothing for the customer. They only help a racecar go through 100mph+ corners faster at the cost of extreme drag and very bad fuel mileage.

Again, the car is awkward in some ways, but I think with sponsors on it and some more work it will work fine.

This car can be a stepping stone to other cars maybe not as exotic but its the step in the right direction. I cant say the same about the other winged cars.

I think passing is going to be a disaster in a triangle-shaped car. You can try to stick your nose between two cars in front of you, but if you're going faster than they are, you're gonna crash the rear flanks into them.

This is really the only thing I'm stilled puzzled by. Perhaps the only major oversight by Mr. Bowbly.

As for the simulations shown, by the sound of exhaust backfires and brake squeal, it really does sound like rfactor. If it is, and assuming the parameters were accurately used with it, is rfactor so bad a sim that it mis-represents the unusual track widths being an issue?

Last edited:
I think passing is going to be a disaster in a triangle-shaped car. You can try to stick your nose between two cars in front of you, but if you're going faster than they are, you're gonna crash the rear flanks into them.

It's an even bigger problem when you take the fact there are no mirrors.:nervous:

As for the simulations shown, by the sound of exhaust backfires and brake squeal, it really does sound like rfactor. If it is, and assuming the parameters were accurately used with it, is rfactor so bad a sim that it mis-represents the unusual track widths being an issue?

Well, first of all, obviously simulations are never anything like real life.
Secondly, they are hardly going to show a video of the car failing to get around a track in a simulation are they? If the car didn't work there is nothing to stop them from "fixing" it. Theres nothing wrong with doing that, but I'm not going to judge how good the car is by a simulation.

I think perhaps if we are to take this car seriously, it should be a car for well in the future, not 2012, but later than that. The issues with drivers not really knowing how to drive and race them are constantly going to be a problem as long as they are being brought up in junior categories with "normal" cars.

In other words I think it may be just a bit too radical for its own good that its not even in the same category as current single seaters. Its like asking the drivers to learn a completely different discipline.

I think perhaps if we are to take this car seriously, it should be a car for well in the future, not 2012, but later than that.

In other words I think it may be just a bit too radical for its own good that its not even in the same category as current single seaters. Its like asking the drivers to learn a completely different discipline.

In other words this much into the future.

landspeeder.jpg

So that they can learn how to race like this.

A fan took the Delta Wing design, massasged it a bit, added paint and sponsors and here you go. The delta wing wont be a spec car and its still early in its development so its not too far fetched to expect it to look different and more easier on the eyes like this wonderful mock up. Remember how different the Peugeot 908 model looked from the final concept

deltawingam.jpg

I vote for the new Delta Wing car.

It will be very slow in the corners due to inherent understeer caused by the narrow front track. The big fins will give it great stability at high speed as long as the center of pressure is behind the center of gravity by a sufficient distance. It will accelerate well and have high top speed, making for great braking duels going into the corners. It will be safer due to the semi-enclosed wheels.

The biggest potential problem is unintended contact due to rear wheels touching.

My advice would be to keep the package exactly as is, but revise the width dimensions to something like 60" front, 65" rear.

Back