design your own cars or design your own tracks

• Thread starter BMW POWER
  • 35 comments
for GT4 what feature would you rather have

A) be able to design your own cars similar to the hybrid program where you can use parts from other cars to make your own

or

B) be able to design your own tracks from scratch and then create an event for the track

Car.

it would be nice if there were more tracks included though. Maybe tracks could be designed as 'add ons' like the data disks in that Microsoft Flight Simulator...

No limit to where you could race then.

Sandman

It would be cool to make your own car, like a Mini Cooper with an Escudo engine :) I think it would also be cool to design your own track and make a series for it.

I want it to show the engine of youre car when you look at it in your garage, like after adding an intake or turbo on it. Also the tires in this game are un realistic, no one have like 17-18 inch rims on racing tires.

ALso i want a drag racing section. And dont let f1 cars race in normal races.

They had a design a car feature in sega GT, it was quite cool being able to specify what type of engine you wanted and what sort of drivechain you wanted it on. It would be much improved if it included real manufacturers. So you could make a mid engined yaris with a supra V6 in it. Or a F1 engined Skyline. The custom track idea would be great. I mean if you were good enough you could recreate real circuits with it. And make a whole real formula one season :fdevil:

Originally posted by BMW POWER
for GT4 what feature would you rather have

A) be able to design your own cars similar to the hybrid program where you can use parts from other cars to make your own

or

B) be able to design your own tracks from scratch and then create an event for the track

I echo that !!!

Originally posted by rufrgt_sn00pie2001
neither, I like my GT's realistic...we're not talking mario karts here!! :P

Hey Snoop, ya sure do have a fix on Mario Kart ayuh ??

C' mon man grow up an' start some decent racin'

However dank u well for the fun and dag !! :D

First, there's no good way to do this on the PS2. You'd have to either choose from limited pieces or take up lots of mem card space (and probably hook it up to the computer in the meantime). I have Need For Speed 3 on the computer, where I made Kurt Johnson's pro stock car...downloaded someone's Camaro, pulled out the wheel wells, stretched the front, added the flat spoiler, widened the wheels...wrote a torque curve, set the RPM range (min to redline) to 4500-10000, made it hard to steer. That's creating a car. I would love to do that though...make anything from my own 100hp 1991 minivan to a McLaren F1.

There would have to be inherent tradeoffs and limits to keep you from making a ten-ton Mini with 100,000 hp and perfect steering. Maybe raise the center of gravity...in GT3 it's about three feet underground for each car.

Same deal with creating courses. I have never played a racing game where that's possible. If I could, I would make a course from my house to my high school and take the highway back...but just think about all the things to add. Trees, parked cars, walls, signs, lights, billboards, start line, checkpoints, hills, road materials, bump strips, jumps, pit, autodrive pit instructions.

So, I would love both of them, but they're both impossible (except for making a car out of preset pieces).

I reacon a track creator would rock!

But it should be for the pc so you can make tracks more easily?? And it saves the tracks on to a memory card using the pc to memory-card adapter thingy!

A couple of games have had track creators - V-Rally 2 was the last one, but I think there have been a couple for various PC games. If you sniff around you'll find one for Grand Prix 2.

I'd love to make my own circuits, but they'd probably be full of very high speed off camber corners with no run off, and long straights leading into chicanes - lots of passing opportunities.

I do realise that unfortunately this will probably never happen - memory, packaging, and all the rest of it.

I'm not that fussed on building cars - let's face it, they'll all be 4wd 1600hp monsters.

There can be pre-built sections which you tie to each other and those sections will have their own built-in scenery and all the surrounding junk of trees, billboards and all.

I mean who cares about gazing at trees and billboards while rocketting down a straightaway bearing down into a sharp corner ????

If you talk about some beacons to determine where to cut right or left or brake, well, there are thingies called distance flags ya know...

They could sorta do what they did with smackdowns create a character. I mean put different sections and corners from real tracks and then if your good enough you piece them together voila! you have yourself silverstone to race on. Or you could create some sort of mutant track silvermonza :rolleyes:

Track Design!

• There are lots of ways it could be done. The easiest would be for the computer to just randomly generate a track.
  • The player could also give a skill level, maybe a distance and number of turns/curves.
  • As mentioned before, maybe pre-built sections of track.
  • If the player just does the actual track layout, the scenery can be randomly generated every time.

In any of these methods there wouldn't be too much stored on a memory card. Just some basic points and helixing degrees. If the scenery elements are all on the DVD, you save a lot of space.

One thing that I think would be a lot of fun would be a random track design engine that lets you save the track. If it could be easily ID'ed with a 32 bit integer or something, a complex track could be stored in a nominal amount of space. This would require lots of 'elements' of track design that are randomly thrown together. Then you could sit there and hit "Generate Random Track", race it, and when you get one you like you post the ID number on a website for other people to load and try out.

~LoudMusic

I dont care for a track editor. Its just not suited for a game like Gran Turismo.

As for car creation, Id rather have more customization. Creating your own cars is nice, but it just aint suited for this type of game. Id rather have paint program on the DVD that lets you edit car textures and save them to a memory card to load up in the GT Auto Shop and put onto your car. I could imagine this beeing especially popular on the racing models where we are often forced to have no option in the car's appearance. And with the sharkport, people could easily trade skins online:)

Yeah the custom paint jobs would be great. I used to have a game on my PC called Dodge Viper racing. It wasnt that good but you could design your own paintjobs, it had (fake) sponsors stickers that you could put on and even better you coul load the cars skin into a paint package and do whatever you liked with it. If they allowed you to do that with real sponsor sticker, that woudl be great. I mean you could do some great things if you could use the X-port as well.

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN
Yeah the custom paint jobs would be great. I used to have a game on my PC called Dodge Viper racing. It wasnt that good but you could design your own paintjobs, it had (fake) sponsors stickers that you could put on and even better you coul load the cars skin into a paint package and do whatever you liked with it. If they allowed you to do that with real sponsor sticker, that woudl be great. I mean you could do some great things if you could use the X-port as well.

yeah true man but your cars were a bit weird could u lend me your viper racing again I wanna test out my yellow viper colours come on

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN

ive got viper racing... :sleep: i used to like it but like sega GT it was pathetic compared to THE GOD OF RACING GAMES...THE GREAT GRAN TURISMO!!!

Originally posted by W_conneely

ive got viper racing... :sleep: i used to like it but like sega GT it was pathetic compared to THE GOD OF RACING GAMES...THE GREAT GRAN TURISMO!!!

At that time I had just got a new Pc. The funnnyest thing though I had to drive in manual with a cluch using the KEYBOARD :lol:

I think it's better if Polyphony Digital adds more real-life tracks in the game....... like, when I started playing GT since two years ago, I'd been a hardcore fan of RACING which is available in cable TV.. and I've seen lots of very interesting tracks which are not on the game.......

You just need to play TOCA 2 or a Formula 1 game to experience real tracks. I mean if they took out all the tracks PD made and replaced them with real ones. I would be annoyed at first, but then I would be soooo much happier. I mean did anybody know that allot of the car modeling and handling stuff was done at good old donnington in the UK. They could have put that in the game.

Back