Destruction AllStars Interview Reveals How PlayStation 5 Enhances Racing Games

Interesting use of the extra oomph. Although going from past titles I doubt GT7 will be making too much call on those compute units for damage modeling!

The haptic feedback from the controller intrigues me. Hopefully one day I might get to experience it. However how long is the battery life? The DS4 is not know for it's extended play time.

However how long is the battery life?
On a full charge and if I start playing in the morning, the Dualsense will last pretty much all day. So 12 hours. At least for me, though. Heard some people got about 3-5 hours before it cut off. *shrug*

Let’s see if a decent sim will turn up in PS5, I for one am not interested at all in gran turismo, F1, dirt style games or PC if the latest installment is their new path. But if a RRE / iracing style sandbox was on there, that would interest me

On a full charge and if I start playing in the morning, the Dualsense will last pretty much all day. So 12 hours. At least for me, though. Heard some people got about 3-5 hours before it cut off. *shrug*

I'm in the 3-5 hour club. However, I think it might depend on the game. When I play older PS4 titles, I usually have 2 bars left after a couple hours of play. When I play PS5 titles, like Cold War Zombies, I'm typically on the last bar after a couple of hours.

Even with the battery life, this controller is superior to every DualShock model.

I would like to know what type of thinking went into making the gas and brake triggers harder to press the more the car gets beat up .

The better graphics get and more realistic the more Gran Turismo seems ridiculous not having realistic damage to the the cars. I'd rather play a sim that had damage systems done right doing the next gen capabilities some justice. Ideally Wreckfest levels.

The better graphics get and more realistic the more Gran Turismo seems ridiculous not having realistic damage to the the cars. I'd rather play a sim that had damage systems done right doing the next gen capabilities some justice. Ideally Wreckfest levels.
I myself fully agree and i also think games that will use the new trigger pressures just for the sake of using that feature instead of using it properly or not at all , will be making a mistake .

I myself fully agree and i also think games that will use the new trigger pressures just for the sake of using that feature instead of using it properly or not at all , will be making a mistake .

It just feels like damage is the one area that hasn't progressed and has in fact went backwards arguably given what was achieved by the likes of the original playstation eras destruction Derby, TOCA and Burnout.

Gran Turismo has always felt too pristine and like bumper cars whenever you hit anything. Absolutely shatters the illusion but we've just got used to putting up with it.

Last edited:
One of my unpopular opinions in driving/racing games is that I typically dislike visual damage and prefer to turn it off. It's amusing when it's the whole point, as in Wreckfest, but one of the reasons I play sims is because I'm not risking breaking things. Damage kills the appeal of replays. So I would be unhappy if all games moved forward with this without an option to turn it completely off.

One of my unpopular opinions in driving/racing games is that I typically dislike visual damage and prefer to turn it off. It's amusing when it's the whole point, as in Wreckfest, but one of the reasons I play sims is because I'm not risking breaking things. Damage kills the appeal of replays. So I would be unhappy if all games moved forward with this without an option to turn it completely off.

I agree with your sentiments about damage ruining replays ! For example, I always feel disappointment when watching a rally game replay if I've even slightly clipped something and caused a minor bit of damage. I like the realism & I'm glad it shows it but on the other hand I don't want to see it on one of my runs if I can help it!!

I think it's because I'm a fussy person who likes things to be perfect. So, yeah I know, a weirdo :)

PS, I've found Forza Motorsport is the worst game for displaying damage, the slightest rub ruins it all !!

Last edited:
Ditto the two comments above; I have OCD when I get even a scratch in Dirt Rally and have to resist the urge to restart the stage.

I'm not too fussed about Gran Turismo damage at this point. Once you make peace with the fact that it will never exist, you just turn visual damage off and enjoy the racing.

What this article made me more excited for is Grand Theft Auto 6. I remember when after GTA IV with its incredibly detailed deforming vehicle bodies for 2008, we were expecting Beam.ng levels of damage from GTA V but instead they made the cars have almost Gran Turismo levels of damage (hyperbole). Sure, the cars took damage, but when you compare it to GTA IV, it is no contest. I also remember a media article (maybe IGN?) from a press junket before GTA IV's release proclaiming that the next generation of video games will no longer be about graphics but about sophisticated AI, ragdoll physics, destructibility, and soft body physics. Games from the era really did flirt with those aspects (Battlefield: Bad Company 2 comes to mind but there's many more that I have never played from that era), and sadly they were the last heyday for what I would describe as the silver age of gaming, and since about 2014 (ie. the next gen consoles at that time), gaming's emphasis has been about nickel and diming customers with graphics without interactivity, microtransactions, and graphical remasters/remakes. The introduction of new mediums like VR is fantastic and the only thing that got me excited last gen.

Doubling back to Destruction All-Stars, I, like other people in this thread, enjoyed Wreckfest immensely for its old-school Destruction Derby/Burnout levels of damage and it was real breath of fresh air in that genre. Before Wreckfest, I thought that genre was dead, and maybe it was.

When it comes to the benefits of PlayStation 5 for racing games: Kaz was quoted last year (apologies for the lack of GT Planet news reference):

“I think the most effective use of the adaptive trigger [in Gran Turismo 7] is for representing the operation of the antilock brake system (ABS) while braking,” said Yamauchi. “A typical ABS releases brake pressure intermittently while the driver applies pressure to the pedal. The adaptive trigger is suited for recreating this pedal feel, and it will allow the player to accurately feel and understand the relationship between the braking force they want and the tire’s grip.”

Yamauchi added: “Compared to the rumble force feedback we had in the past, the special character of the haptic feedback is that it has a bigger range of frequencies it can produce. What this means, is that sound design and tactile design can be handled in a continuous, integrated manner.”

I pray that this quote means we at least go back to wear ABS 1 was the quicker setting in Gran Turismo because ABS Default annihilates all the finesse and feeling required to drive a car fast in GT Sport. I've always presumed that controller users were the reason for this change, and I hope the new Dualsense means pad users get additional feel so the game can become the Real Driving Simulator again. I never doubted that Polyphony would use the additional Compute units to make the game look immaculate.

That's the other thing: if Gran Turismo 7 doesn't have full online multiplayer in PSVR 2, then Gran Turismo isn't a cut above the rest anymore. VR is the future.

----
Sincere apologies for my blog post.........

(ahh, nevermind)

:(
I liked your post. Why'd you delete it?

I agree with you that VR probably isn't the future of gaming as a whole. I definitely will enjoy playing games on screens for instance splitscreen with friends. There will always be a place for screen gaming until the end of time itself. I just think VR is the future in that I think in 100 years we'll have special rooms in our house where people wire up and enter the Matrix or the Holodeck from Star Trek. I genuinely believe that. VR is the future.

As for nickle and dime games, it goes beyond big budget studios. Mobile gaming is awful in that regard. I think microtransactions have permeated every genre and it's changing gaming irreparably.

:(
I liked your post. Why'd you delete it?
Oh, I felt like I say those same things too frequently. Sorry for the tag on a deleted post.

I agree with you that VR probably isn't the future of gaming as a whole. I definitely will enjoy playing games on screens for instance splitscreen with friends. There will always be a place for screen gaming until the end of time itself. I just think VR is the future in that I think in 100 years we'll have special rooms in our house where people wire up and enter the Matrix or the Holodeck from Star Trek. I genuinely believe that. VR is the future.
👍

As for nickle and dime games, it goes beyond big budget studios. Mobile gaming is awful in that regard. I think microtransactions have permeated every genre and it's changing gaming irreparably.
Mobile gaming tends to not even come to mind when I think or talk about gaming -- in my mind, the worst offenders are basically analogous to gambling machines in bars. A different kind of "gaming".

The games I play haven't been permeated with microtransactions. There are examples, but it isn't the norm. The example that does the most panhandling is Guild Wars 2, but it's an MMORPG without a subscription fee, now free to play, that sells cosmetics, conveniences, and DLC-esque episodes to pay the bills. I think that's fair.

That's why I always say the same thing -- the part of the industry you're talking about is a different world to me.

Back