DFP Homemade Sequential Shifter

• Thread starter Mr.Farva
  • 38 comments
Coming along nicely...

Interested to hear how it feels in the hand with more testing and what more maybe needs to be changed/improved?

Why two shocks at an angle and maybe not four shocks with 2 each side?
Also instead of a screw why not get some small nut/bolt. Might secure better to the base.

Last edited:
I think you have too much travel, If you look at most racing boxes like this in say SuperGT cars, it's more pressure tha movement that makes the shift, thats why I went for foam rubber as the main resistance provider and two springs just to take up any slack.

Trust me, it just feels "right", to give you an idea of the size of springs I was using before, I had to use a set of clamps and a vise to install the springs !

But like I said before, as soon as you have two identical springs opposite each other they cancel each other out and don't provide any resistance.

Maybe if you used the type of "air dam" that is used in the boot lids of cars it might provide the sort of resistance required if you don't want to use rubber?

If you want some pics on how I did mine let me know. It works so well and is so simple. No electrical work, no welding , no dismanteling of wheel .Cost me roughly 25 quid to do with all items bought from hardware store and things i found in shed/garage/loft. Exactly right amount of pressure shifting up and down, absolutly no excess travel,(less than 1 inch from centre to up/down) and also gives me a choice of shifter , short and stubby knob, mediium knob or shifter stick.
Also done heavy mods on pedals and paddles which again does not require any electrical work or dismanteling and improves sheer driving experience.
My wheel is a DFGT and personally I would not change it for anything else now that iI have carried out these mods.

Attachments

• DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 113
Good JOB!! 👍

Well, i was thinking.. Do I need old controller to plug the wires together, or can I just plug my shifter switches together?? :nervous:

Well after having trouble with getting it to work, so I gave up on it till now. Got rid of the shocks and springs.:crazy: I went with foam for now its alot better, but some kind of rubber would be even better. Ill be looking for some rubber bushings or something. I also shortened the throw that also made it better. Still running everything at my computer desk till I make a cockpit.

Now everything works fine, except...

In GT5 when I have my shifter plugged in my L2 button (Left View Button) go crazy in game only if I hit it. Makes the view switch back and fourth, now if I unplug my external shifter the button works just fine. I have checked my wires and made sure nothing was exposed or touching anything its still happens. So I plugged my wheel into my computer and pulled up Logitech's profiler. And when I press the L2 button it will quickly hit L2, Select, then L2 again. But in game the shifter will downshift but upshift freaks out and up and down shifts like crazy. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Well after having trouble with getting it to work, so I gave up on it till now. Got rid of the shocks and springs.:crazy: I went with foam for now its alot better, but some kind of rubber would be even better. Ill be looking for some rubber bushings or something. I also shortened the throw that also made it better. Still running everything at my computer desk till I make a cockpit.

Now everything works fine, except...

In GT5 when I have my shifter plugged in my L2 button (Left View Button) go crazy in game only if I hit it. Makes the view switch back and fourth, now if I unplug my external shifter the button works just fine. I have checked my wires and made sure nothing was exposed or touching anything its still happens. So I plugged my wheel into my computer and pulled up Logitech's profiler. And when I press the L2 button it will quickly hit L2, Select, then L2 again. But in game the shifter will downshift but upshift freaks out and up and down shifts like crazy. Any ideas?

i think your problem lies in the fact that you are using the same ground for both up and down shifting.. i think all buttons use there own individual ground. then they are merged later on the pcb. thats the way i did it and it worked with no hitch...

heres my homemade shifter made from pvc. springs and buttons.. i have since upgraded the shifter in to a wooden frame and covered it with black textile.. will post pics of update

Last edited:
you know 3 days ago I would've say, why not just buy a sequential from Frex. I mean saves you all the time and money and you can play straight away, nonetheless after waiting 3 days for their email back saying that they "will" advise me when they are ready to fullfill the order. I'd say this path is prolly faster than buying. well done.

Anyone interested in making their own shifter that can take anything you can throw at it and feels "real", forget about the springs and oil filled shocks, watch this video, trust me, it works perfectly, is adjustable for resistance and will last for ever, and most importantly is simple.

Anyone interested in making their own shifter that can take anything you can throw at it and feels "real", forget about the springs and oil filled shocks, watch this video, trust me, it works perfectly, is adjustable for resistance and will last for ever, and most importantly is simple.

thats a pretty dam good idea ill have to try that out

Back