Dice's PC that isn't screwed up yet!

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 43 comments
The right case helps a lot in this. They are making them more and more cable friendly. The days of having to drill custom routing holes are just about over which is really nice. Zipties are, of course, your best friend. :) Forget about the aesthetics, if you have proper wire management, it will help with proper air flow. Function should always take priority in my mind. 👍

That's great! If you're happy that I would call it a very successful build! :)

My case is suppose to be pretty cable friendly. Maybe I'll break into it again one day and play around and see how much better I could get it. I've seen pictures though of people's PC's where you can't see any cables at all. I have no idea how they do this. I'll have to watch some youtube videos or something and give it a try. I have a Inwin Dragon rider case, and read pretty decent reviews about cable management with it.

The Tempest, which I have, is pretty cable friendly for the most part but the area where the power supply has a cutout which was poorly thought out and is too low which makes it unusable with my Ultra X4 :(. Other than that, for $55, it's a pretty fantastic case!

These step drill bits are awesome for drilling new holes in the case if you need additional engineering:
ruko_step_bits_266.jpg

Take a little bit of rubber hose, cut down the length and you have a nice finished edge on your new holes.

That's actually a great idea! That being said though, it's not much of a bother not being able to use that hole :lol: .

Update!

Things have been purchased:

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147192

NAS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136745

I didn't bother buying the DDR2 RAM and i'll grab that later on. The 30 gig SSD I have now will probably go into the old rig behind me that'll eventually be used for a minecraft server.

Same thing for the power supply.

The External HDD will be canabalized and throwin into my current rig while the NAS will stay on my desk.

Hopefully, this new PSU fixed my Overclocking issue and the fact I can't have my wheel plugged into certain ports without it losing power and whatnot.

Love my 128GB Samsung 830, the 840s are apparently even better. 👍 Tempted to get a 256GB 840 at some point as I'm almost out of storage space across my SSD and two 1TB Spinpoints :lol:

Nice build 👍

I've kinda always wanted to build a PC. It seems like something that would make feel incredibly accomplished upon completion, but I fear that my inner OCD monster will tear me apart with all the cable management and how everything would have to fit here/there, etc. :nervous:

Love my 128GB Samsung 830, the 840s are apparently even better. 👍 Tempted to get a 256GB 840 at some point as I'm almost out of storage space across my SSD and two 1TB Spinpoints :lol:

Holy storage space batman!

Eks
Nice build 👍

I've kinda always wanted to build a PC. It seems like something that would make feel incredibly accomplished upon completion, but I fear that my inner OCD monster will tear me apart with all the cable management and how everything would have to fit here/there, etc. :nervous:

That's the fun of it! :lol:

Moving on:

f4hWugv.jpg

And it begins again..

ofhBEtm.jpg

So yeah.

h5Hdb76.jpg

Current voltage setting is 1.28v and everything seems stable so far compared to my previous attempts where I BsoD'd about 3 mins in every time with an error code of 3A, 124 or something along those lines.

Continuing to stress test.

Anyone care still? I haz update.

So it's been about 3 and some change months since I've received the Seasonic 750w and the 840 Pro (as well as the Western Digital NAS).

At first, as you all know, I really didn't use the 840 Pro so it sat behind me until around mid-March when I became fed up with the continual "low disk space" and all of that bad jazz so I finally threw in the Samsung 840 Pro.

Starting with the Western Digital NAS:

Obviously, the thing works. And boy, does it work. I keep it in a low-power state when it's not in use instead of unplugging it (which some people actually do) which gives out a nice blue LED to show that it's in a Low Power State. When it's active, the LED changes to Green. When there are firmware updates for the NAS, it'll come out of it's Low Power State and start spooling up the HDD and run for a little while to let it be known that something's happening. It's a nifty feature for me since it's literally right next to me so I know that there's an update or something happened with the NAS and I should check it out ASAP.

xjv9CDN.jpg

As you can see, the UI is easy to use and usable on phones and tablets. The exclamation icon at the top is your alert section where messages about the NAS and what's going on with it will be displayed. This ranges from "The network is down" to "There is a firmware update". Safepoints is the WD NAS Version of system restore. If the user or a file done goof'd the NAS up, it can restore to a point before the file or user input goof'd the system thus saving precious time and files.

Moving onto the Samsung 840 Pro:

I'm going to get some heat for this, methinks, but i'm not that big into SSD performance than I should be. That being said, upgrading from a Corsair Nova II SATA II SSD to the Samsung 840 Pro, I notice ~2 second improvement times while booting up into windows and files install slightly faster for me. As far as games go, I cannot really draw a comparison because I never had a game on the Nova II due to space limitations. Games on the 840 Pro though load almost instantaneously for me. I only put Crysis 3 on there but I was more than satisfied with the load times I was getting.

Finally, the Seasonic 750W PSU:

Funny story before I get into actually how it's doing:

When I first installed it and ran all of my old settings for a 4.5ghz Turbo Boost Clock and an OC'd GPU, everything was fine and dandy. Starting in the beginning of April, my PC started freezing up randomly during gaming. for that whole month and two weeks of May, I chalked it up to the games themselves as one was a Korean game (thus I thought maybe it was a bad patch) and one was in Open Beta (and thus I thought it was a bug). Things that happened during this time were Game Client Crashes. Keyboard freezes, Bluescreens which pointed to Driver errors (which I've reported before), and Video Card crashes. I figured, and those who replied to my post about said bluescreens figured, it was driver issues. I went back and reinstalled my Geforce drivers which somewhat quelled some problems. After that, I reinstalled the rest of the needed drivers (all downloaded from the Gigabyte website), which fixed the issue for a full day. I was playing Neverwinter when a Bluescreen finally pinpointed to a Vcore issue (Vcore was too low). It made me feel stupid :lol: . I increased the voltage from 1.3 to 1.33, ran some stress testers and everything came back fine. Currently, I have no crashing issues or driver issues or anything. Everything's fine. For now.

Onto the power supply.

So after that problem, everything's fine in my world. Stable 4.5ghz and a stable OC from my GPU.

e0CXL98.jpg

Stable as balls still. Also stable in long periods of gaming (of about 10-12 hours).

As far as the GPU goes:

KCslvvd.jpg

Granted it's not a long stress test, I haven't had a crash since I upped the Vcore voltage (thus no more driver crashes) in extended periods of gaming (of about 10-12 hours).

Before anyone asks which 670 I have, check a page or so back.

I really really want to try for 4.7ghz eventually but for the time being I'm happy with everything. Why do I want to try for 4.7ghz then? Mostly bragging right, a little of "just because".

So yeah, the TL;DR Version of this post:

I bought things, eventually installed, had some oopsies, fixed and am happy so far.

So I bought some speakers two weeks ago and got them maybe last week (i don't remember anymore), finally got around to getting pics of it.

SDsF51Mh.jpg

MaIikoGh.jpg

NmEyv5Kh.jpg

naNyjFeh.jpg

sB2IVkkh.jpg

BjAhDmIh.jpg

(this one had flash on)

and finally, the speakers on my office desk:

a82K2Tah.jpg

I also purchased another sound card but I was too lazy to get pics of it. I still am lazy.

It's been 6 years since I've updated this thread.

For the most part, the desktop hasn't been upgraded at all. The only thing that has changed since last time is that I now have a 980Ti (bought new) and a 2TB HDD which bring the total storage drive count up to 5.

My NH-D14 is damaged and doesn't cool properly but I haven't seen instability issues yet so I'm rolling with it until I need to upgrade. At that point, I'll probably go Hyper 212 and go team red.

Back