did you become a better driver brcause of GT5?

• Thread starter katayama
  • 64 comments
fincher_s204
did you become a better driver because of GT5? Based on my experience the answer is a big "YES" im now way much more comfortable with rear drive cars. I drove an m3 e46 on the track and I think in GT the handling is way too neutral. the car isn't that perfect but it still handles like a nimble fly... in real life there's much more under-steer and less tail snap or whatever you call thats just my own opinion though. Back in the day I wrecked a friends GT3 no joke, thats because of an aggressive right foot upon exit. This could have been prevented if I was playing GT5 before that event. :P

I drive an Evo X now and though its way easier to drive on the track than a Porsche. I thought I became good at it... this driving thing :) The Evo, I drive it now with a bit more confidence, a bit more on the limit. I dont do much track days I only had 4 track days in my life but my last one after playing GT5 for 3 months Im quite surprised of myself :) both on RWD and AWD. :

the yaw control feels close in real life too i guess...

So you guys have the same experieces too or something? 👍

Last edited:
surely the understeering in GT5 is just correct because in your e46 you most probably it bone stock and normal roadgoing tyres.

GT5 is not like iracing where they only try and copy accurate lap times but the simulation is completely 0 , iracing does simulate lap times and track layout but the physics are negative even worse than f1 2010.

Yup. GT5 has taught me how to exit turns much smoother. A couple years back I drove an open wheel car in Dubai as they had 2 stage course. Took it loved it. Want to do it again now that I have played gt5 n learnt s few things about driving smoothly.

I too drive an Evo X now and it's fun to drive. Haven't taken it to the track yet but have played around with it late night when less cars on the road. Hope to take it to the track this summer. Must say it handles like a beast in the snow. Love "drifting" in the snow and great grip at high speeds on the highway.

Previously I drove a '97 e420. Rear wheel heavy as hell but still managed to whip the tail out. Did not like driving it in the snow!!!

Overall I find gt5 to be pretty realistic in terms of grip n oversteer/understeer. Drove my bros carerra 4s and I must say it was pretty insane. Wish I could drive it in gt5 to compare it to real life.

I was already a pretty decent driver from the previous GTs. Trying to complete the Vettel Challenge probably improved my skill a decent amount though.

did you became a better driver brcause of GT5?

I'm not going to suggest that GT5 did something specific that helped, but playing games like GT5, FM2, and FM3 have definitely enabled me to become much more skilled than I was a few years ago.

I'd always used automatic transmission in video games up until GT5, but now I've tried out manual gears I can't go back :)
It's only with GT5 I've started driving without TCS, and that's taught me to appreciate that smooth driving is the way to go.

Sure, I could have done this with any other racing game, but I still feel like I've come a long way thanks to GT5.

GT5 is realistic if you don't overdo it. That means don't abuse curbs and drive over grass, don't run with racing tyres on road cars, even Sports Softs are too good to be realistic for pretty much any road car.

I think GT5 has made me a better driver, but then so did Rfactor and iRacing.

To Enzo, what do you mean the iRacing physics are negative and worse than F1 2010? F1 2010 are arcade/semi-sim physics, are you meaning to assume that driving an F1 car is meant to be easy.

My fastest time around Silverstone old layout on iRacing in the 2009 Williams F1 car is 1:22.0 - Getting that fast took me a long time (setup and driving), but i'm still slower than the pole position for 2009 of 1:19.5. The best guys on iRacing are also running in the 1:19's. These are some of the best sim racers (and in some cases) and real drivers in the world.

Now I consider myself a pretty decent driver, but I know that there are much much faster guys out there. Personally I think iRacings physics are the best out there, they aren't perfect but they are the best.

If you think iRacing is a bad simulation I think what you have done is hit a wall with the reality of your driving skills, there were cars that a few months ago I couldnt get around more than 1-2 corners without spinning out, where now I can run lap after lap consistantly putting in decent times. But the reality of my driving skills is that I am still much slower than the best guys. Putting the Williams F1 in iRacing around Silverstone in anything under 1:21 makes golding the GT5 Vettel X1 challenge seem like childsplay.

Last edited:
I think GT5 helps you become a better driver the same way that COD MW helps you become a better soldier.

In other words...it doesn't. There are no meaningful consequences for failure in a video game.

I think GT5 helps you become a better driver the same way that COD MW helps you become a better soldier.

In other words...it doesn't. There are no meaningful consequences for failure in a video game.

If you play GT5 with a steering wheel you can learn throttle control, braking techniques such as trail braking and the heel toe gearing technique, you can develop your left foot braking. You can learn to catch a car from oversteer and you can learn to drive around understeer.

So yes obviously you can become a better driver. This is not even speculation, the success of GT academy is proof of this. GT5 is not the same as driving a real car, but the techniques learned within it can be applied in a real car, atleast to a certain extent.

Better driver? NO!

Educated me about road racing and driving techniques? Yes!

I would disagree COD as turned me into a modern day Rambo, its only a matter of time until the military uses it to train soldiers. JK

Yeah I think so I understand more about driving. Corner entering, exit, braking points and also driving different cars on different tracks. Something you can't do in real life

Bigbazz
So yes obviously you can become a better driver. This is not even speculation, the success of GT academy is proof of this.

The only thing GT Academy has proven is that it takes a lot more than taking a top leaderboard spot to become a RL semi-pro racing driver.

It's fun to pretend, but dangerous to mistake a game for the real thing.

The only thing GT Academy has proven is that it takes a lot more than taking a top leaderboard spot to become a RL semi-pro racing driver.

It's fun to pretend, but dangerous to mistake a game for the real thing.

Obviously it does, but it obviously also proves that fast sim racers skills can transfer directly to the real world.

GT5 is realistic if you don't overdo it. That means don't abuse curbs and drive over grass, don't run with racing tyres on road cars, even Sports Softs are too good to be realistic for pretty much any road car.

I think GT5 has made me a better driver, but then so did Rfactor and iRacing.

To Enzo, what do you mean the iRacing physics are negative and worse than F1 2010? F1 2010 are arcade/semi-sim physics, are you meaning to assume that driving an F1 car is meant to be easy.

My fastest time around Silverstone old layout on iRacing in the 2009 Williams F1 car is 1:22.0 - Getting that fast took me a long time (setup and driving), but i'm still slower than the pole position for 2009 of 1:19.5. The best guys on iRacing are also running in the 1:19's. These are some of the best sim racers (and in some cases) and real drivers in the world.

Now I consider myself a pretty decent driver, but I know that there are much much faster guys out there. Personally I think iRacings physics are the best out there, they aren't perfect but they are the best.

If you think iRacing is a bad simulation I think what you have done is hit a wall with the reality of your driving skills, there were cars that a few months ago I couldnt get around more than 1-2 corners without spinning out, where now I can run lap after lap consistantly putting in decent times. But the reality of my driving skills is that I am still much slower than the best guys. Putting the Williams F1 in iRacing around Silverstone in anything under 1:21 makes golding the GT5 Vettel X1 challenge seem like childsplay.

the data used on the F10 is the same simulator data used in redbull racing simulator , which as you can see vettel had been pole for every race for the 2011 season and he had been winning them also.

As martin brundle said , vettel spends time on the redbull simulator but then he would win races.

in iracing they only copy accurate lap times but the physics are 0 , and by the way you should buy the f10 incase you think its an easy cookie.

The Red Bull simulator is Rfactor Pro, F1 2010 is a computer game not a simulator. iRacing is a commercial simulator.

The F10 is the name of the Ferrari 2010 car, the most accurate 2010 F1 simulator is Ferrari Virtual Academy, based on Netkar pro this is the commercially available Ferrari official simulator (not the one they use to develop the car).

The F10 in GT5 and F1 2010 is absolutely nothing like the Ferrari Virtual Academy car, and neither GT5 or F1 2010 provide realistic formula 1 simulations.

F1 2010 the game was meant to be easy to pickup and play for the average gamer so that they could sell lots of copies and make lots of money, if it was a true simulation like Ferrari Virtual Academy or iRacing then about 80% of players would not be able to do a lap (or even a corner) without crashing.

Back on to Rfactor Pro, this is the simulator used by most of the F1 teams, that allows them to run their cars, this has nothing to do with F1 2010 the game, which is based on Dirt 2.

Enzo, what are you on about with iRacing physics? Have you tried it? It is universally known as the most accurate and realstic allround commercial simulator, and it didn't get that high praise from being unrealistic. What you say about copying accurate lap times makes no sense, the drivers do the laptimes. Matching real world laptimes in iRacing takes some serious skills, only the top 2% of drivers can achieve this.

http://rfactor-pro.com/
http://www.ferrarivirtualacademy.com/game/en/index.jsp

Last edited:
Well i don't do track days, because i don't have a track car for starters, but on the road, i see myself as a better and more confident overtaker, aswell, as being able to find better gaps to fit in, also i block better, have better qualifying tim.... Umm, sorry, GT5 is getting to me.

The Red Bull simulator is Rfactor Pro, F1 2010 is a computer game not a simulator. iRacing is a commercial simulator.

The F10 is the name of the Ferrari 2010 car, the most accurate 2010 F1 simulator is Ferrari Virtual Academy, based on Netkar pro this is the commercially available Ferrari official simulator (not the one they use to develop the car).

The F10 in GT5 and F1 2010 is absolutely nothing like the Ferrari Virtual Academy car, and neither GT5 or F1 2010 provide realistic formula 1 simulations.

F1 2010 the game was meant to be easy to pickup and play for the average gamer so that they could sell lots of copies and make lots of money, if it was a true simulation like Ferrari Virtual Academy or iRacing then about 80% of players would not be able to do a lap (or even a corner) without crashing.

Back on to Rfactor Pro, this is the simulator used by most of the F1 teams, that allows them to run their cars, this has nothing to do with F1 2010 the game, which is based on Dirt 2.

Enzo, what are you on about with iRacing physics? Have you tried it? It is universally known as the most accurate and realstic allround commercial simulator, and it didn't get that high praise from being unrealistic. What you say about copying accurate lap times makes no sense, the drivers do the laptimes. Matching real world laptimes in iRacing takes some serious skills, only the top 2% of drivers can achieve this.

http://rfactor-pro.com/
http://www.ferrarivirtualacademy.com/game/en/index.jsp
Nope , iRacing or rFactor has nothing to do with the FIA or rbr simulator.
Nope , Ferrari doesn't give any data to the games they produce.

Lap times yes , physics 0.

Yeah I got the same lap times as a world champion would have with physics just like f1 2010.

pre calculated for a realistic time , 0 physics. Obviously.

Last edited:
Nope , iRacing or rFactor has nothing to do with the FIA or rbr simulator.
Nope , Ferrari doesn't give any data to the games they produce.

Lap times yes , physics 0.

Yeah I got the same lap times as a world champion would have with physics just like f1 2010.

pre calculated for a realistic time , 0 physics. Obviously.

What is this I don't even.

Lets see pics of your said Evo X :)

First pic i blocked out the side as i dont feel too comfortable showing my plate on the net. It reads darwin and plate cover reads evolution in reference to theory of evolution as mitsu claims that was their inspiration...

Last pic is after a day of messing around in the snow

27082009570.jpg

img0123oq.jpg

img0109ns.jpg

My son is a better driver because of GT5. Even using a controller he learned to be much smoother and how to read the correct line through a complex. He'll spend half an hour on GT5 just before we go out for rl practice and it will show.

I think the reverse happened to me, thanks to driving on road I tend to over brake and be over cautious in game (plus I hate to rear end other players). I have the constant fear the TV's going to smash through my head =[]

Latest Posts

Back