Did You See Anything Good Today? [Read First Post]

• Thread starter GilesGuthrie
  • 46,589 comments
bondy_1625
Not to mention driving with a camera in your hands isnt safe, let alone taking pictures. Here in the UK if a cop caught you doing that im pretty sure it counts as 'driving without due care and attention' đź‘Ž
Im ashamed to say i have done it before, but since i have realised just how stupid and dnagerous it was.

Edit: oh and yesterday i saw a dark green bentley Turbo.
Did you get a picture!?

Giles, if you're gonna have things like this, then I guess the "What Car do You Drive?" Thread has to be taken down too and this will probably be better off in the Vids section which already has a thread like this.

Question. Do old (pre-1980) Beetles count. Are they old, yes. Are they interesting, sure. Social icon, why not. But I mean there's been 21 million of them produced, so not exactly uncommon . . . except for the fact that the newest (old) ones are 26 years old.

The only reason I'm asking this is because i have one as my daily driver. My intention is NOT to put up my own car every day, but if i see one is it considered "Seeing Anything Good?"

Wow... some of those "big deal whatever" cars on the list there really ARE big deal cars to some of us. When I lived in Kalamazoo Michigan I saw M series Bimmers and Porsches daily. There was a guy at a coffee house I frequented who had mid 60's Ferrari and a mid 80's 512TR, and the owner of the local Ford dealership was notorious for jetting around in his Diablo VT. However, when I spent a year in South Dakota I saw nothing but pickup trucks so yeah, seeing a Boxster would certainly qualify as "good." Of course, I don't know anyone who owns a Boxster so perhaps I'm just not cool enough? :rolleyes: Perhaps the name of the thread should be changed to "Did you see anything that I think is good today."

Rule of thumb: Being a mod is tough (I know, I'm one on a couple other forums) and when a couple people complain it's part of the job. When EVERYONE complains, then maybe the wrong choice was made.

Anyway, I work for FoMoCo in Dearborn Michigan... I don't work in any of the "glamour" divisions but I'm involved enough to occasionally see some "good" cars, but like so many have said in this thread I don't carry a camera with me. We had an after hours dealer presentation yesterday at my building with a couple new Saleen Mustangs; it was my first look at them and man they are gorgeous. I've also had a chance to get up close with a couple pre-production GT-500's. I'll grab some photos if I can but suffice to say, people walking around Ford world HQ with cameras gets noticed real quick, and I'd like to keep my job.

Beyond that, spend a little time on the highways around Detroit and you'll see all kinds of interesting things. The best ones are the new M plate cars decked out in full camo to hide the design đź‘Ť

Here is what live down the street from me:
06' Lexsus is350 in $hit green
04' lotus 111R in race decals (base grey with stipes going across the fenders sideways)
The guy that has the lotus take it to infineon every othey weekend and drives it like hell in our complex

I agree this thread topic is going to be is all but dead soon and I am disappointed.

I don't carry a camera with me, I saw a C5 Corvette yesterday which is very rare over here, even if I had a camera I wouldn't have had time to take a picture and it wouldn't have been safe for me to attempt it and if people don't believe I saw a C5 Corvette, you know what?.. I don't care!

I doubt I will be able to add to this thread anymore :(.

*EDIT* and like others said the fastest you have driven thread is where most of the BS claims would be.

Here is what live down the street from me:
06' Lexsus is350 in $hit green:
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/LEXUS/img/IS350_01.jpg

04' lotus 111R in race decals:Pic minus decals:guilty:
http://www.rhactiv.co.uk/ptvr/gallery/ext_111rfstorm.jpg
(base grey with stipes going across the fenders sideways)
The guy that has the lotus take it to infineon every othey weekend and drives it like hell in our complex
Oh did I mention a shop full of collector cars?

In order from left to right (one car got cut out)
The only 1970 camero in that lovely red known to exist
69 327cu camero
The grand daddy of them all: the 427
and the one that got cut off- blue 1969 camero 350 Z-28
all of the cars are owned by one man that happens to be a good friend of mine.
enjoy!

GilesGuthrie
  • Dealerships and Manufacturer/Tuner sponsored car shows do not count. This means that a race meeting/track day/concourse show/owner's club meeting does count. However, everyday "traffic" sightings are more interesting.

I attend plenty of race meetings throughout the year. I wouldn't mention anything that i'd seen on the track or in any 'owners club' displays at the circuit (although i might have in the past, only if it was truely super exotic - Enzo or 250GTO sort of thing) - but would it be ok to mention anything just parked at the event that someone had actually just used to drive there?

Also, like many people who've already commented, i neither carry a camera around with me or really want to be seen taking photos of cars - i'm a grown-up and not a professional motoring photographer either.

I do agree that this thread needed a shake-up.

opendriver19a

The only 1970 camero in that lovely red known to exist
enjoy!

Im not saying you're lying but that sounds a bit far fetched to be honest.
I dont know much about muscle cars other than i love the noise, the big blocks, look, stance, sex appeal, and brutality of them.
I wouldnt know anything about how many of what colours were produced, but im sure there are more than just 1 1970 red/white hockey stick stripes camaro out there.

Edit: oh and i saw a black mk1 VW Golf (gti?) convertible and a beautiful black camaro IROC-Z :drool: the noise at about 1500rpm was just beautiful.
I was driving so no pics im afraid. :(

bondy_1625
Im not saying you're lying but that sounds a bit far fetched to be honest.
I dont know much about muscle cars other than i love the noise, the big blocks, look, stance, sex appeal, and brutality of them.
I wouldnt know anything about how many of what colours were produced, but im sure there are more than just 1 1970 red/white hockey stick stripes camaro out there.

There are, this is the only DOCUMENTED one. I know those picture I posted befor wornt legit. I just did a quick google and showed what they look like. If you have any conflicts with my knolage with the history of muscle cars, please feel free to corect me, im always willing to learn more!:)

I saw a Audi Q7 parked today, the first one I've ever seen, and they are rare.
And you expect me to bring my camera with me all the time to take pictures of it? Useless..........................................

Hi all

Just thought I would pop my head in and see what had happend in the new thread.

I must confess that the immediate reaction of many in here is not a surprise (nor do I think it will be to the other mods), the entire idea of what has been done here (and please don't single out Giles, he may have set up the new thread - but all the mods agreed to it) was to shake it up.

The old thread was getting very stale and littered with dull cars and simple lists, the sort of thing that could be done from staring in the window of any local car dealer.

As Giles has said a picture would be ideal, but is not a requirement, what is important is that some form of context is put to the claim. This serves a number of purposes; its give credence to claims, it gives us a chance to understand why the car is significant (and worth being here) and most importantly of all its interesting to read.

So rather than simply dismissing the new thread out of hand, while not (as some already have) try and make it work.

I mean I don't have a camera phone, but I have started taking my camera out with me more since we discussed this change in the mods forum. I'm also myself resisting the temptation to just pop into the local Ferrari and/or Porsche dealers.

Regards

Scaff

Hey

I understand where the Mods are coming from on this and i'm willing to adjust to the new rules, just that its going to be quite difficult in doing so giving the majority of circumstances in which the interesting vehicles are seen (If i'm not driving, i'm riding my bike - very difficult to take shots in these circumstances!!) but i'll do my best.

Today for example i cycled to the Library and saw a SL55 AMG at the junction coming my way. My phone which i also use as a walkman was in my pocket and there was absolutely no safe way i could take a picture of it. I also saw a Lexus SC430 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo outside the same restaurant near the library but there were so many people sitting outside that it would have looked odd if i just stopped took the pictures and walked off!

Also wanted to apologise on behalf of my fellow GTPlaneters here for any singling out that Giles may have recieved.

:D

X5.
I also saw a Lexus SC430 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo outside the same restaurant near the library but there were so many people sitting outside that it would have looked odd if i just stopped took the pictures and walked off!

Haha, that reminds me, i do that! If i have my camera on me in the summertime im usually carrying it with intent on taking pictures of cars. :)
I dont care who is around or what they think, if i like the car and want a picture, i'll have it!
Ive been shouted at a few times by owners, (what harm is a picture doing? :confused: ) ive been given funny looks, i even told someone who gave me a funny look "im a car enthusiast!" :D :lol:(it was a bright red BMW 328ci, looked nice)
At the end of the day i got the picture i wanted :)

X5.
Also wanted to apologise on behalf of my fellow GTPlaneters here for any singling out that Giles may have recieved.

Well said đź‘Ť

X5.
but there were so many people sitting outside that it would have looked odd if i just stopped took the pictures and walked off!
if the owner as seen "Gone in 6o seonds" than he might be a tid bit concerned!:)

So it was about 2:00p.m. on a wet and cold day... My windshield was soaking wet and I was driving on the street behind a bunch of slow ass cars when I saw a piercing black............ oh the suspense......... PROWLER! and then later on to my dismay like a train hurdling toward me was a.............. hmmm... what was it I going 20mph while... oh thats right.... a.... CHARGER R/T screams by! :dopey:

Here's a recreation of both pics since well I kinda figured safety when driving is a bit more important... :rolleyes:

2000mb04prowler7eq.jpg

20502070071m6xc.jpg

Do you guys believe me!?

Good idea for some ground rules for the new thread one of the reasons I didn't bother posting in the old one was I could've said anything or posted nothing and it would make no difference. Now, I can sincerely say "look what I saw!" and not have it just be another car list in a thread full of them. Good move by the mods, I reckon.

Of course, most of the cars I see for about a second whilst I'm driving - nowhere near long enough to take a photo, like the Diablo I saw today*. Still, I reckon this thread'll be be better than the last one.

*No, really. I really did. It was a baby-blue silver sort of colour. I just couldn't take a picture of it because it was driving in the opposite direction.

FPS_nOOb
Here's a recreation of both pics since well I kinda figured safety when driving is a bit more important... :rolleyes:

Nobody's going to critisize you (although they might if you can't spell "critisize") if you saw a car and didn't mention it. It's not like the world will end if you don't tell people what car you saw. If you can stop safely and take a picture, then great, but don't start messing around with a camera thinking "some people on the Internet might think I'm cool!" if it isn't safe to do so.

(That was directed to everyone, not FPS_nOOB in particular.)

Well, i only managed to see one nice car today.
Ive seen it before but i still love it, and the colour. (E46 M3 is the car i'd chose if i had the money.)
An E46 M3 Convertible in pheonix yellow with black soft top.
So its not particularly rare, i know that, but i still reckon the pheonix yellow is a less common colour choice than any other options provided by BMW.
No pictures this time around but i do have one from about a year ago, when it was parked stationary and i happened to have my camera. :)
Its also one of the best pictures ive taken of any car :P
10010963nf.jpg

I think we have to be lenient concerning the definition of an 'interesting' car. For example, back in Toronto, Corvettes were a very common sighting, but here in Ottawa, I was excited seeing just two yesterday!

I also think that being loose with the picture rule is a very good idea. As previously mentioned, it can be very unsafe at times to take a picture, or it can produce low quality images. And sometimes, it is just impossible to take pictures. For instance, even if I had a camera on me yesterday, I would not have been able to take any pictures safely since I made all of my sightings while riding my bicycle. Also, many sightings may just be catching a glimpse of a car briefly, not giving enough time to get a decent photo.

And in case anyone is wondering, yesterday I saw the two previously mentioned Vettes, a 911, and a black Lamborghini Countach. As far as Ottawa goes, that's a pretty good day of car spotting.

bondy_1625
Well, i only managed to see one nice car today.
Ive seen it before but i still love it, and the colour.

I see one like that near my university now and then. I love the colour as well :D

Nice spot Bondy!

Today at the shops i managed to get a picture of an SL55 AMG. Didn't get a picture of the Porsche 911 Turbo or Cayenne Turbo though :guilty:.

X5.
I see one like that near my university now and then. I love the colour as well :D

Nice spot Bondy!

Today at the shops i managed to get a picture of an SL55 AMG. Didn't get a picture of the Porsche 911 Turbo or Cayenne Turbo though :guilty:.

How did you manage to get only half the car in the picture? In a hurry or something? the wheels look like that of the SL65 AMG, but i may be wrong, cant see the badge.
:)

The owner had his back to me and was standing right next to the car, thought he was going to turn round at any minute, which he didn't
(not sure what his reaction would be), as he went towards the Saab Convertible infront to talk to his mate, by this time i was already walking and couldn't get the proper shot :grumpy:

I'm pretty sure it was an SL55 AMG - could've been mistaken with the light though!

Do we have to have everyone holding a "Look at me! I'm on GTP! See, this picture isn't a fake that someone else took!!!!!!!!111!!" sign included in the picture???
These new countermeasures won't do anything, and furthermore encourage bad driving practises if you happen to be the one in control. I may also put out the reminder that not everyone can afford (or wants to buy) a cameraphone or digital camera (Me, for example. I've got better things to spend my paycheque on).
Anybody can go do a Google Image Search for an Enzo and say
"looka t me!1!! ive got bad grammer and speelign adn i saws me an enzo today!!1!one! Seee?
enzolambo.jpg
"

If people want to lie about what they saw, there is practically nothing you can do to stop them from doing so. And you know, just because a 911/Elise/Skyline is a dime-a-dozen where you live, doesn't mean it's common where I am. I'm lucky to see one of your selected car a couple times a month. And you know, I saw a Ford GT today. In a dealership. Big deal, it was in a dealership. I still saw it.
Now sure, it's always great to see a decent image of what you saw. It adds to the post, and makes it more believable. But just because you didn't get the oppertunity to snap a picture in that five-second period when you could see it shouldn't mean you can't post saying that you saw it.

[/Rambling rant of the day]

*McLaren*
UH no, he was correct.

Your picture is a SL55 AMG. The SL65 has 2 front air intakes on the side of the bumper. Not to mention, they sport darker wheels.

I think he knows his picture is the SL55 AMG, he is probably pointing out how different the wheels are.

lets compare X5's picture with a actual SL65 AMG,

dsc003709cz.jpg

sl65-amg-12.jpg

X5's picture does look like it is a SL65 AMG, nice find.

but we cant 100% confirm that as we can only see the back.

opendriver19a
Thank for clearing that up viper, that "half-picrure" of that car IS the SL65 AMG

Not necessarily, as i have managed to find an instance of the SL55 AMG having the standard alloys that come with the SL65 AMG - this shows that it could go either way.

Hopefully i'll see the car again to confirm properly! :)

Back