Different Physics with Wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter IAG
  • 80 comments
  • 4,588 views
does anyone think this thread is a little repetitive since we have the big 'ol DFP thread already and 99% of the questions being asked in this thread have already been answered in that thread?


just a thought..........
 
Ebiggs
Amazon.com has it for about $110. The pedals come with it. ;)

Wait, the pedals come with the one at amazon or with this one too?
 
wolf8218
Wait, the pedals come with the one at amazon or with this one too?

The pedals will come with the DFP no matter where you get it. Unless somebody stole them out, that is. ;)
 
Ebiggs
The pedals will come with the DFP no matter where you get it. Unless somebody stole them out, that is. ;)
HAHA
I dont think amazon would do that!
Anyways, negotiations with the Paternal Figure are going well, should order it soon. :P
 
IAG
its **** worth it. so far im a couple of tenths slower with the wheel but thats obvious since you have do more movement.

I was the driving the Ring with an R34 n1 on street tires (n3) and it sooo fun and difficult. YOU WILL SPIN OUT from hard breaking and turning simultaneously, from hitting the rumble strip at high speed, from colliding with other vehicles.

theres a Jump in the begining of the ring it took me 4 times to get through without crashing. the moment you land the wheel shakes left, right, left right......and bam opposite lock into the wall hahaha. with sport tires is still hard but you can get away with alot.

to all the players running these super fast lap times on the ring, try it with the DFP wheel (simulation setting, no assisted steering, max force, no power steering) and with a car on street tires.

countersteering is a B*TCH damn, ive only drifted like 2-4 times, you have to "catch" the car or else bye bye.

The section you are talking about is the "Flugplatz". I manage to go there with the dfp about 15 KM/H faster, than with the Controller. With the Falken Skyline my highest speed was 204 (with dfp) and 192 (with controller).

My best Controller time (with the "normal rules": driving aid off and always at least two wheels on the track) my best controller time is a 6:59:420 and yesterday i managed a dfp time that was 7:00143.

So we are talking about 0,5 seconds lost on a track auf about 20 Kilometer and within 7 minutes !!!

Okay, i lost 0,5 seconds but i gained so much more fun and realism with the dfp !!!
 
IAG
force feed back wise, it feels the same like the previous wheel. But the 900 degrees makes it worth the purchase.

Yes the weight transfer is felt through steering. when you break hard and steer the wheel gets very light and you can feel oversteer being induced.

i own the dfp since 2 weeks and normaly i choose to switch off the 900 degrees mode. It just takes too long to react, when a fast countersteering is needed.

That´s just my opinion !

And by the way: There are absolutely no known racing cars with a steering wheel with 900 degrees, so switching it off is the more realistic way to drive !

DTM RACE Driver Pro is almost impossible to drive with 900 ° mode !
 
Daddybird
I want it too, but its like 150 euros......damn.

I got mine for 105 Euros !!!!

A Pal of mine bought it for 95,- Euros !
 
About that noise the wheel makes when you turn?What is it?
 
Is the effect of the wheel as great with the regular Driving Force wheel? I'm wondering becuase I don't have the money for a DFP right now.
 
nico vc
I have a ENZO wheel for PC/PS
It is a lot more fun.
More real.

could you explain in depth how the enzo wheel is more realistic than the Driving Force Pro? what were your experiences like with both wheels? I assume you've played GT4 with both wheels to make that comment. :)

7:00PM eastern time
:EDIT: how do i get NFSU2 to work well in full 900 mode on the PC??!?!?! :EDIT:


7:02PM eastern time
:EDIT2: lol, alsoo... the FFB for the Driving force pro is more detailed and more powerfull than the old driving force :EDIT: this can be clearly felt in Games like richard burns rally and Live For Speed. I dont know about gt4.... Its even gota warning that its not for kids. I'm looking at the old driving force, and it doesnt have any warning stickers on it like the new one :EDIT2: :)
 
alexsteffen
i own the dfp since 2 weeks and normaly i choose to switch off the 900 degrees mode. It just takes too long to react, when a fast countersteering is needed.

That´s just my opinion !

And by the way: There are absolutely no known racing cars with a steering wheel with 900 degrees, so switching it off is the more realistic way to drive !

DTM RACE Driver Pro is almost impossible to drive with 900 ° mode !

yea but, an everyday production car for the road has a wheel that turns 900degrees, and road cars make up most of the cars in GT4
 
yup, i have no idea why people keep saying that 900 mode is not realisitic to be used for race cars when its obviously not. and the wheel has 900 degrees of steering because most road cars, which gt4 has a crap load of. do. Infact, most cars turn more than 2.5 turns lock to lock... at least most i've driven in real life, and sports cars i've checked out.

I was told the detection automaticly changed depending on the car, so you wouldnt have to keep changing from 200 mode to 900 mode. u know, to stuff inbetween 200 and 900 degrees depending onthe car.
 
Another thought... why would anyone need 900 degrees when driving at speed even above 30 km/h, let alone 300 km/h!

It's not like I am going to be angle parking.
 
yeah,and why should the steering be accurate at 300km/h,when you can get the job done with half the work in 200 degree mode,hehe.....

there should be a 0 degree mode,so you won't have to turn the wheel anymore,hehe
 
anybody here ever seen, drifting? :dunce:.
and how often do ya hit 300KMH in your civic? :)
 
that was the next thing on my mind,drifting is so much fun in 900 degree,even in prologue...

i really CAN'T WAIT to try the hks genki on tsubuka circuit
 
does the wheel react quicker when drifting in GT4 than it does in LFS using 900 mode?
 
supergoop
Another thought... why would anyone need 900 degrees when driving at speed even above 30 km/h, let alone 300 km/h!

It's not like I am going to be angle parking.

I have the DFP and you very rarley use 900%, and never at high speeds, it is like a real steering when in that respect, however, if you take a tight corner, say a 180% bend or hairpin at a slower speed on GT4you will use more lock with the DFP maybe 600%, high speed conering will only require a small amount of lock or turn, again as in real lie driving (think about it, you wouldn't yank your wheel full lock in real life doing 100mph would you??).
I must say that playing GT4 with my DPF and Corbeau racing seat from GameRacer is the most realistic and amazing experince I have ever had in playing console/video games in my life (and I've been playing for some 25 years now!) I would recommend the wheel to anyone who love GT4 and can afford it.. 👍
 
The DFP sure sounds like a lot of fun too bad I can't use such device on account of my physical limitations. You see I am in a wheelchair and while I can move my legs etc I doubt I would be able to use the pedals correctly. Can anyone tell me how using the buttons on the wheel for accelrating and braking go or if its even possible to use the wheel buttons as gas and brake? I would probably just be wasting my money wouldn't I?
 
i only used it in GT4P since my pc is to slow for LFS (yes,it's THAT slow!) and GT4 is not here yet,but i agree that it's the most realistic experience on a console so far,arcades included...

With GT4 and a DFP you don't need a real car anymore,i'm gonna sell my and buy a bigger TV ;)
 
sorry to say that in GT4P you can't accelerate with x on the DFP,only reverse and the handbrake work with the buttons,there are also no options to change this
 
gt3freak_2001
The DFP sure sounds like a lot of fun too bad I can't use such device on account of my physical limitations. You see I am in a wheelchair and while I can move my legs etc I doubt I would be able to use the pedals correctly. Can anyone tell me how using the buttons on the wheel for accelrating and braking go or if its even possible to use the wheel buttons as gas and brake? I would probably just be wasting my money wouldn't I?

That does suck. Anyways, the buttons aren't pressure sensitive on the DFP, so even if you could use X as gas and square as brake, you would be going full power. It really sucks with reverse...gotta tap it to keep from burning the tires off the rim. :ouch:
 
the DF aint that bad, i had it for a whole year before i bought the DFP. But.. the DFP feels better, the texture and shape of the wheel feels better, FFB feels better 900 degree mode etc.. the original DF is a good wheel though. :)


To the guy in the Wheelchair,
Is there any way someone could quickly build you something so that it would hold/tilt the pedals at an angle so you could press them with your feet? You could maybe design it yourself and build it yourself. :)
 
I didn't mean it is more fun than GT Force.
It's more fun than the controller.
Sorry.
 
IAG
I received my DFP wheel today and after 4 hours of just playing around I am COMPLETELY AMAZED!! The physics are very different.

For example Doughnuts. With a controller you cant do them at all. with the dfp ..... :crazy:

As someone else said already: This has nothing to do with physics. To illustrate what I mean: it's like putting a PS2 Controller in your real life car at the place of the steering wheel and trying to drive. It wouldn't be very funny :)
 
Sure it'd be funny, to those watching. ;)

The driving force (regular) is really far behind the dfp. It feels vague and rubbery (the ffb), and it really runs out of steering lock quickly.

In a real car, on a real track, in a hairpin, i'd be using about 360 degrees (aka, 180 degrees left, or right). Aside from countersteering and parking, i would never need more though. Still, in 900 degree mode, it gives you the freedom to use the correct amount of lock.

With the DF, you'd be using like 40 degrees left to go round a hairpin... weeeird.

Having a much greater steering lock also gives you much better high speed stability, because you can steer in smaller increments.

Oh, and the DFP pedals are soo much better than the DF pedals. They're better ergonomically, and they don't slide around nearly as easily, on any surface. You can also fit your heel on the baseplate (my feet didn't fit onto the DF pedal base, which felt stupid).

As a side note, the DFP works brilliantly in richard burns rally. If you need more justification for buying one than GT4, also buy that game. It's well worth the investment!

It's also one of the best wheels available for the PC... so all the more reason.
 
cubits
Sure it'd be funny, to those watching. ;)

The driving force (regular) is really far behind the dfp. It feels vague and rubbery (the ffb), and it really runs out of steering lock quickly.

In a real car, on a real track, in a hairpin, i'd be using about 360 degrees (aka, 180 degrees left, or right). Aside from countersteering and parking, i would never need more though. Still, in 900 degree mode, it gives you the freedom to use the correct amount of lock.

With the DF, you'd be using like 40 degrees left to go round a hairpin... weeeird.

Having a much greater steering lock also gives you much better high speed stability, because you can steer in smaller increments.

Oh, and the DFP pedals are soo much better than the DF pedals. They're better ergonomically, and they don't slide around nearly as easily, on any surface. You can also fit your heel on the baseplate (my feet didn't fit onto the DF pedal base, which felt stupid).

As a side note, the DFP works brilliantly in richard burns rally. If you need more justification for buying one than GT4, also buy that game. It's well worth the investment!

It's also one of the best wheels available for the PC... so all the more reason.
Thanks for your feedback comparing the DF vs DFP (most people were comparing the DFP with a DS2, and there is obviously no comparison there). I already have a cockpit setup for the regular DF, and the price for the DFP is a bit steep. However, your positive comparison for the DFP is causing me to reconsider.

How is the shifter on the DFP? Since I have a cockpit, I imagine that the reach for the stick shift on the DFP may be a bit too far. In most real cars, the shifter is closer to your knees, and not by the steering column.

With the regular DF, the pedal shifters are easy to access, especially since the wheel only turns 200 degrees.

I am just concerned that the stick shift on the DFP will be harder to use
 
Back