DIRT 5: General Discussion

Graphics look fantastic but this series does nothing me. Codemasters used to be a favourite studio of mine but that's a long time ago now.

All the AAA developers seem to go through periods of staleness, hopefully the next gen will kickstart some reinvigoration & give them more creative freedom instead being bound by the current gen specs.

Differentiang DiRT more from DiRT Rally is the right move. I have had the impression that DiRT 4 dragged down DiRT Rally 2.0's potential to be the success it deserved to be sales-wise.

Though I'm not sure this particular game is for me, but I was never really interested in the titles spinnig off from the main "CMR" franchise anyway. It looks fun and good though, so who knows...

Amplified Edition players have three ready-to-race cars in their garage (Ariel Nomad Tactical, Audi TT Safari, VW Beetle Rallycross), three-player sponsors with fresh objectives, rewards and liveries, and content for features yet to be revealed – all exclusive to Amplified Edition, along with boosts to currency and XP earnings.

amplified

Though this is good fun. Dirt has been missing the funky concept cars

fca332e78bbb75225dc0d117b27d4eb9.jpg

The reveal article at Codemaster blog did mention Donut Media is part of the game career narrative, they should be voiced in game I think.

Codemaster Blog
Dive into the ambitious Career mode, which lets you choose your path to glory as you progress through an immersive journey. The narrative features a voice cast led by the legendary Troy Baker and Nolan North, partnered by the car culture heroes at Donut Media and more famous names from the automotive world. Make your unique mark and overcome all obstacles to ensure nobody ever forgets your name.

Link to article: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05...r6gi5vmpTYmfPiDfPTGk1bYdCQNecr35x5SbBV6JdzSII

Since it’s supposedly (or most likely) running on the same heavily modified EGO engine as Onrush, I’m crossing my fingers for an option on the base PS4 where you can prioritize frame rate (rock-solid 60fps) over resolution in DiRT5 as well.

I don't know how it looks good for them to make this big buy outs while keep on dragging the same engine they use since the pleistocene.

Game engines might as well be a name and not much else at this point. It's naive to assume that nothing ever gets updated or changed over the years.

Edit: Apparently it's built on the OnRush engine. Nothing to do with Ego or whatever was being used in previous DiRTs.

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous, but like others I'm Wary. Buying Grid 2019 was one of my biggest regrets this gen. And hearing that the former Evolution Studios team is directly working on this makes me both excited and worried. I adored MotorStorm and Driveclub, but Onrush... I try to forget.

Still, Dirt 5 has caught my attention. I'll wait to see how it plays out.

It looks way better than Dirt 4 and more fun than Dirt Rally 2.0. I don't know if I'll buy it for the PS4, but if it's anything like a Motorstorm successor, I'll be sure to jump on it when I have the chance.

Looks like a mish mash of Onrush/VRally4/Gravel to me. Codies really is the king of quantity > quality these days so I won't be surprised if this ends up being another shallow experience beneath the shiny graphics. Plus the prerequisite 80% recycled content from previous games being sold as DLC. Also I find it hilarious that they focus so much on the Mustang and Porsche in the trailer and pics. Can't think of any car less related to off road than that (yes, I'm aware Porsche won Dakar in 959, but that was a one off).

I've just started playing OG Dirt Rally (better late than never) and I'm left wondering what could be if Codies stuck this route and focused on expanding the car and stage roster and improving the physics. 5 years later we will probably have the most complete rally game ever. But nope, we got DR remastered and 2 Ken Blocky games instead...

I've just started playing OG Dirt Rally (better late than never) and I'm left wondering what could be if Codies stuck this route and focused on expanding the car and stage roster and improving the physics. 5 years later we will probably have the most complete rally game ever. But nope, we got DR remastered and 2 Ken Blocky games instead...

And the cycle likely to continue, DR team confirm no new DLC coming for DR2 and moving on to their next project. I don't mind the split in tone/style like what Forza Motorsport and Horizon did but I do hope they stop throwing piles of existing content out the window again for a sequel since both Dirt Rally and Dirt 5 is being handled by different teams now. Hopefully they have more time to develope the game and its content.

I do wonder what is the fate for Grid, will Codemaster just let it die or let SMS takeover the name.

Also I find it hilarious that they focus so much on the Mustang and Porsche in the trailer and pics. Can't think of any car less related to off road than that (yes, I'm aware Porsche won Dakar in 959, but that was a one off).

Umm, Porsche has a pretty substantial amount of rally history in their DNA. They won Monte Carlo from 1968-1970, and have been rally racing in various capacities for the better part of 50 years. While Porsche themselves have never won in the WRC with a works cars, privateers have been pretty successful over the years. The 997 GT3 is basically the poster child of the FIA R-GT class and is often seen in National R-GT events. The Cayman GT4 was run in Rally Germany, and there's also been a privateer Macan in recent years.

Rally Mustangs do exist in various flavors. Using a classic Mustang for off-road duty isn't that much of a stretch, and different models do show up in regional US rallies.

Last edited:
Is true that Porsche has been in rally for a long time and still doing well in the R-GT class now but I'll say the general gamer perspective, Porsche is probably the last thing you think of when it comes to rally or off road.

Probably also why the YouTube and twitter comments kept saying it looks like Forza Horizon, the initial scene on ice with a group of less well known rally R-GT cars.

Last edited:
That's a problem of Youtube and twitter comments.

The 911 is to the rally class that FIA has dedicated to GT cars what the Polo is to the 1.6 WRCs. Is time it gets some recognition after the stupid EA license exclusivity. By appearing in every single offroad game? Why not.

Umm, Porsche has a pretty substantial amount of rally history in their DNA. They won Monte Carlo from 1968-1970, and have been rally racing in various capacities for the better part of 50 years. While Porsche themselves have never won in the WRC with a works cars, privateers have been pretty successful over the years. The 997 GT3 is basically the poster child of the FIA R-GT class and is often seen in National R-GT events. The Cayman GT4 was run in Rally Germany, and there's also been a privateer Macan in recent years.

Rally Mustangs do exist in various flavors. Using a classic Mustang for off-road duty isn't that much of a stretch, and different models do show up in regional US rallies.

Yes I'm aware of the R-GT class too. My comment was more along what TOMMY3688 said, it's not the first manufacturer that the average joe thinks of when you mention rallying. Most people will think Group A/WRC and 4WD cars. Not an RR sportscar better known for GT racing and an old RWD muscle car. And quite frankly, you can make a case for ANY car to be rallied. Doesn't mean they are significant/desirable or will fit a mass market offroad game.

The Dakar 959 would be a perfect addition, but more likely, Codies already has these models from previous Grid games and as usual they take the least effort approach in picking what cars to include in the game...

Last edited:
Still amazes me that people get butthurt over content being reused. Like, really? Yes let's abandon all this stuff we've made and spend 5 years rebuilding everything from scratch so that no one notices the difference and keep getting moaned at for uaing the most popular array of vehicles in our mainstream rally games.

But hey we're the experts right?

Still amazes me that people get butthurt over content being reused. Like, really? Yes let's abandon all this stuff we've made and spend 5 years rebuilding everything from scratch so that no one notices the difference and keep getting moaned at for uaing the most popular array of vehicles in our mainstream rally games.

But hey we're the experts right?

No problem on reusing content. Problem is how you do it.

Like introducing the Bugatti Veyron in a class where the other cars are 10 seconds faster. Or charging people for slightly updated versions of the stages from Dirt Rally. Or inflating a class with cars that don't exist because you already had that asset from previous games, for example, RGT made up versions.

Game engines might as well be a name and not much else at this point. It's naive to assume that nothing ever gets updated or changed over the years.

Edit: Apparently it's built on the OnRush engine. Nothing to do with Ego or whatever was being used in previous DiRTs.

Nothing to do with EGO? EVO themselves said Onrush engine was a combination of the EGO engine and other stuff.

Or inflating a class with cars that don't exist because you already had that asset from previous games, for example, RGT made up versions.

Personally, I think this one is less of an issue in an arcade racing game. A good portion of the vehicles in DiRT 2 were made up and look at how fondly remembered that game is.

The crucial thing is that fictional cars have to be something you can imagine being used in offroad racing. If Codies decided to use the Bugatti Veyron as an R-GT vehicle in DiRT 5, then we would have a problem.... Or would we? ;)

Back