DIRT 5: General Discussion

I'd like to point out I didn't say they didn't use the model.

But if you're going to distribute it on a a site that allows use of models. Expect it to, you know, get used?

Plus, once it got out that he was charging money for a unlicensed Ferrari modem, the model quickly disappeared.

And finally, as pointed out below, the criticism around this can't be levelled at Codemasters, its very highly probably they had no idea until the forums posts started, at which point it was clearly dealt with swiftly behind the scenes.

What none of this changes, is the ridiculous notion that people expect new games to have new assets built from the ground up despite having perfectly good ones already. Citing PD as an example and the going BUT they put more cars in as well is defeating the whole point of the argument @LeGeNd-1 that game is meant to have hundreds, difference being most of those reused models were not fit for purpose. The models used in Grid, Dirt etc clearly are, they are in fact excellent models.

Also worth noting that despite its smaller car list, DR2.0 had 25 new cars to the Dirt series. Now using your GT example of what, 800 old to 200 premium in GT5 or 800 old and 400 premium in GT6, 80% reused and 66% reused respectively. DR2.0 sits at 66% reused content as well, so the "but PD did this" argument falls flat as they have exactly the same percentage of reuse. Difference being, DR2.0 has consistent quality across the whole range of cars.
The thing here is that another developer (who if I am not mistaken is one of the heads of the F1 studio) has claimed the rights to said 3D model when he has not done such model, he has simply retouched it.

And hey that's not a legal thing to say, although the mod can be downloaded for free for example.

At least give the modder some credit, don't wear your medals for something you haven't done everything.

I don't have a problem with companies recycling content, unless that content feels quite old (which is not the case with Codemasters games), the problem is when someone does something that an big company shouldn't do.

The thing here is that another developer (who if I am not mistaken is one of the heads of the F1 studio) has claimed the rights to said 3D model when he has not done such model, he has simply retouched it.

And hey that's not a legal thing to say, although the mod can be downloaded for free for example.

At least give the modder some credit, don't wear your medals for something you haven't done everything.

I don't have a problem with companies recycling content, unless that content feels quite old (which is not the case with Codemasters games), the problem is when someone does something that an big company shouldn't do.

Its a grey area and an area where no one comes out smelling of roses. The modder, it could be argued, has no rights to the model owning to not having the correct licensing or ownership. So in a roundabout way Codemasters aren't wrong in the sense that the rights do belong to them as they pay Ferrari for use of the F2002. Like I say its a very grey area and again, one the doesnt have conclusive evidence either way. 50% similarity to me doesn't wash, 2 highly skilled modelers will produce similar results.

He asked for proof, not a 13 page argument that resolved nothing.

I don't know why some people bother with these parts if all you wanna do is bash Codies and complain profusely about illogical things?

Just right after this message you are accepting they ripped off the car. That seems dishonest.

And surprise, you can be excited for some game and bash the company for what they deserve to be bashed while acknowledging their constraints and difficulties that eventually leads them to do those things that make people bash them.

And last, it's ridiculous that you show that kind of sensibility with Codemasters and totally the opposite with the modder. Doesn't make any sense but hey, this is a forum, and we all can hide in our bias using rhetoric. :)

Its a grey area and an area where no one comes out smelling of roses. The modder, it could be argued, has no rights to the model owning to not having the correct licensing or ownership. So in a roundabout way Codemasters aren't wrong in the sense that the rights do belong to them as they pay Ferrari for use of the F2002. Like I say its a very grey area and again, one the doesnt have conclusive evidence either way. 50% similarity to me doesn't wash, 2 highly skilled modelers will produce similar results.
I have said that it is more than 50% (in fact it is 80% or more) in common (they are the same with slight touch-ups), not similar.

Not even the same person would be able to do practically the same model with touch-ups from scratch, much less someone else will.

But ok, we better leave it.

Just right after this message you are accepting they ripped off the car. That seems dishonest.

And surprise, you can be excited for some game and bash the company for what they deserve to be bashed while acknowledging their constraints and difficulties that eventually leads them to do those things that make people bash them.

And last, it's ridiculous that you show that kind of sensibility with Codemasters and totally the opposite with the modder. Doesn't make any sense but hey, this is a forum, and we all can hide in our bias using rhetoric. :)

Go back, read it again, tell me where I deny they used the model?

Thought so. Pipe down.

Go back, read it again, tell me where I deny they used the model?

Thought so. Pipe down.

Do you think I'm blatantly stupid?

He asked for proof, not a 13 page argument that resolved nothing.

Please don't quote me. Not wasting more time with this. In fact, I'm just gonna quote myself.

If only I didn't have enough "forum experience" to know what are you doing...

Ok. You win.

I'd like to point out I didn't say they didn't use the model.

But if you're going to distribute it on a a site that allows use of models. Expect it to, you know, get used?

But don't you think is weird to just straight up taking someone else work, put it into the game and profit from it. Whether it is unlicensed free or paid model, it is still wrong to just take someone else work without giving any credits. Even the forum post in RD did show that Codemaster did not pay a single cent to the modeller at that time this started, they somehow got the model for free somewhere else.

Plus, once it got out that he was charging money for a unlicensed Ferrari modem, the model quickly disappeared.

It is likely Codemasters bought the rights to use the model after that and asked it to remove from Turbosquid, Kunos bought out a few modders cars and have it added as official game content for Assetto Corsa.

And finally, as pointed out below, the criticism around this can't be levelled at Codemasters, its very highly probably they had no idea until the forums posts started, at which point it was clearly dealt with swiftly behind the scenes.

I do agree on this, this is a one off mistake that Codemaster made. Codemasters did other crap more often.

So we're arguing about the actions of a single artist who no longer works at CM anyways and using that as a basis to judge the actions of the rest of the company. Got it.

I still don't understand why people are upset about a DiRT game having the same cars as a previous DiRT game. It's not like there's a shortage of new content either since 7 of the 12 cars that we've seen are brand new entries to the series. If we saw something more egregious like shoehorned-in cars from GRiD or questionable DLC/Season Pass models then I would understand but we're seriously jumping the gun here.

So we're arguing about the actions of a single artist who no longer works at CM anyways and using that as a basis to judge the actions of the rest of the company. Got it.

I still don't understand why people are upset about a DiRT game having the same cars as a previous DiRT game. It's not like there's a shortage of new content either since 7 of the 12 cars that we've seen are brand new entries to the series. If we saw something more egregious like shoehorned-in cars from GRiD or questionable DLC/Season Pass models then I would understand but we're seriously jumping the gun here.

Codemasters bashing is what people do best here it seems.

They're not gonna waste models because a few people who won't buy the game anyway moaned about it.

Anyways, the more I watch the trailer the more I see the DriveClub style influence of the Evo guys. This could be something quite special.

Me too. I love that game. I think it's their crowning glory to date.

I would even say it's arguably the greatest offroad racer ever made and one of the best racing games.

I know the comparison with sims might no be very orthodox, but it's just the sensation that everything in Dirt 2 is refined to perfection. There are games with more memorable ost, better graphics, more content, better content... But in terms of gameplay, it grabs you like not many others.

With wheel, like most arcade racers, needs very low degree of rotation. I'm playing it with the Logitech DF Wireless, and it's like when peanut butter met chocolate.

Just played Dirt 2. I swear it must be the most remarkable Colin McRae game ever made. It's just fun.

I hope it has some influence on Dirt 5...
You are not alone. To me, DiRT 2 is the best game of the series. It's so damn fun! I still play it now and then. Love that ost...
DiRT 2 was my first platinum. I never really cared about those things, but it came naturally just because i couldn't stop playing it.

Interesting bombshell dropped in the "Off-Road Variety" video; no mechanical damage in DiRT 5.

Personally I don't consider it a deal-breaker, (I only use cosmetic damage in Horizon games), but that's a first for the mainline series. I hope the visual damage isn't too compromised though.

I wouldn't expect anything on the level of DR but no mechanical damage at all seems strange. We'll see how it goes in practice I guess.

Since the game is going for Dirt 2 and 3 style, I think it is fine. I don't even remember having mechanical damage in Dirt 2 and 3.

I know for a fact that you could total cars in D2/D3.

I'm just wondering if we can still bend a car into a pretzel like pretty much any other Codies game.

Can you still bend them that way in recent games? I got DR2 recently and rolling the car don't seem to cause as much damage as older games, all the body panels is still intact too.

Last edited:
DiRT 5 story will told through a in game podcast by Donut Media:

Some discipline mention in the 1 minute clip, ice racing, landrush, sprint and extreme (technical?) off road.

Deep Dive into Career Mode Tomorrow:
Annotation 2020-06-07 194935.png

I'm liking the art style on the event posters, has a similar vibe to the OnRush graphics.

I guess "Stampede" is one of the new game modes or car class? Going by the black tag on each poster, there are 2 posters with "Stampede" on it. Gate Crasher Clash event has additional "Land Rush" tag at the bottom, other poster has rally raid, sprint, smash attack and ice breaker on them.

Back