DIRT 5: General Discussion

Good old Gamepass, delivers again :) Ive played about 8 races so far in the career mode & my early thoughts are that the game is very easy, quite basic in it's driving physics, (not complaining though as it's obviously an arcade game), fun, colourful, in your face, looks great, (XB1X), sounds great but takes ages to load. I don't mind the cheesy voice overs, (although it's early days), I really don't like that there isn't replays, this is an odd ommision especially considering every other CM game since CMR1 has had them, (I think). Definitely happy to keep playing for the moment.

Last edited:
Good old Gamepads, delivers again :) Ive played about 8 races so far in the career mode & my early thoughts are that the game is very easy, quite basic in it's driving physics, (not complaining though as it's obviously an arcade game), fun, colourful, in your face, looks great, (XB1X), sounds great but takes ages to load. I don't mind the cheesy voice overs, (although it's early days), I really don't like that there isn't replays, this is an odd ommision especially considering every other CM game since CMR1 has had them, (I think). Definitely happy to keep playing for the moment.

Exactly same impression here on the exactly same console. On the other hand I'm happy that I have it from Gamepass as the game is very repetitive and certainly not worth the normal buy price for me.

How are the glitches, bugs and performance issues as of the last patch?

As in, should I get this next time it's on sale.

Runs like a charm on XB1X but as of Update 3.00, PS5 versions are encountering crashes in career mode.

That aside, it should be worth a shot! :)

How are the glitches, bugs and performance issues as of the last patch?

As in, should I get this next time it's on sale.

When you buy a car just before the race and create a livery and choose it to use in this race you'll race with the default livery for that car anyway... Later after the race the livery is applied to the car (in the garage space for example) and works fine in the next one. (at least on X1X)

At the moment this is the only bug that I've noticed apart from the fact that the game looks like Microsoft's Rallisport Challenge from time to time especially in the snow races but I'll blame previous gen console for that (should I?).

When you buy a car just before the race and create a livery and choose it to use in this race you'll race with the default livery for that car anyway... Later after the race the livery is applied to the car (in the garage space for example) and works fine in the next one. (at least on X1X)

At the moment this is the only bug that I've noticed apart from the fact that the game looks like Microsoft's Rallisport Challenge from time to time especially in the snow races but I'll blame previous gen console for that (should I?).
Not really, it doesn’t look great on PC either.

Booted it up for the first time in a few weeks yesterday. It downloaded the large update.

I don't know if I'm imagining it or not but the framiness and jittering seems much better. Enjoyed playing it for 45 mins yesterday on my PS4 Pro. I can't remember which tracks/events I really noticed the jitters on originally. Ideally would be good to test and report back on those same events but unfortunately I didn't note it down.

By the way. I've found it hard to know in-game (career mode), whether I've "completed" an event yet.

I can see if its unlocked or not (obviously) but how do I know at a glance or quick check whether I've previously come 1st in and/or completed an event?

Last edited:
I'm surprised then. I thought that the looks of this game is supposed to "cover" lack of content, repetitiveness and "arcadeness" (before I tried it).
In all fairness, it's a new engine for CM which brings a lot of new stuff to the Dirt series, such as a photomode, dynamic weather and time of day, etc. So a less than smooth time and a lower level of content is to be expected given that.

By the way. I've found it hard to know in-game (career mode), whether I've "completed" an event yet.

I can see if its unlocked or not (obviously) but how do I know at a glance or quick check whether I've previously come 1st in and/or completed an event?

When you have finished first or achieved the target time/score in a regular event, you will see three gold coins beside the event.

When you have completed a throwdown, the throwdown text will turn pink (incomplete throwdowns have white text).

Am I the only person in this thread who's playing this game on PS4 Pro? Would be interesting to hear other peoples' views. Has the update made a different to the way it plays for you?

silly question right, How do I get the drift and overt take achievement? at what point do I need to be sliding and end the slide, do you have to use the handbrake for it to count?

Crazy zooming out happened on Xbox One X too but don't seem to occur every time.

I've been playing a lot of the game lately, the AI on very hard seems to work better, at least one of them are able to keep up now and they don't crash as often as back at launch. Landrush and Stampede tracks no longer locked to only trucks and buggies is a good change, more tracks to race with favourite rally cars.

DLC cars are not bad but Porsche Taycan feels ridiculously fast for its class.

It`s terrible the way the camera is going mad, you end up crashing, I just uploaded a video, sorry its not 60 frames, i didn't hook up my capture device...

It is a chase cam issue from what I experienced. Even if you dont change camera views, using the right stick to look back for a short few seconds in chase cam will make the camera freak out that way too.

It`s terrible the way the camera is going mad, you end up crashing, I just uploaded a video, sorry its not 60 frames, i didn't hook up my capture device...

It's been reported this bug occurs after using photomode during a race - I believe this currently happens on all platforms.

Last edited:
It's a sad fact, (a fact for me anyway), that every Dirt game after 2 is worse than it's its predecessor :(

Last edited:
Holy **** this game is boring.
I still haven’t been able to justify a purchase due to how dull the core gameplay really appears along with the physics.

I have been playing DiRT2 since last week and I just can’t fathom why CM just cannot capture the atmosphere of it. This game is just so much fun still.

MXH
I still haven’t been able to justify a purchase due to how dull the core gameplay really appears along with the physics.

I have been playing DiRT2 since last week and I just can’t fathom why CM just cannot capture the atmosphere of it. This game is just so much fun still.
it's a bit late now but if you are on PC it's a free weekend, it's still got 23 hours on free play

Last edited:
it's a bit late now but if you are on PC it's a free weekend, it's still got 23 hours on free play
Unfortunately I don’t own a PC capable of running games. I could set up my XB1S and get Game Pass but I’d have absolutely no use for it other than that.

MXH
Unfortunately I don’t own a PC capable of running games. I could set up my XB1S and get Game Pass but I’d have absolutely no use for it other than that.

There's plenty of other games on GP. I'm sure you'd find some other games that would interest you ? Or am I misunderstanding ?

Last edited:
There's plenty of other games on GP. I'm sure you'd find some other games that would interest you ? Or am I misunderstanding ?
There are very few games that interested me before that I do no longer care for now.

I’d just be wasting money on a subscription that I have no real use for - or my XB1S for that matter, which I haven’t used in well over a year at this point.

Back