DiRT Rally 2.0 Force Feedback Update Now Available

The guide should be a good read and helpful. 👍

EDIT:

Maybe not what I was looking for. Mainly for PC users. Oh well.

Noise from the Codies forum seem to think that the FFB is definitely improved, however I won't be able to test until tomorrow morning, assuming the PS4 update had gone live.

I wonder why, while there are so many complaints about ffb feeling, after the ffb fix update there is a complete silence about this topic. I mean there are only 4 posts in this thread.

First impressions of the update aren’t good. Basically all the weight has been stripped away. If you liked DR1 you’ll love this update.

While I liked DR1 for what it was, DR2.0 needed a change. And after spending a significant amount of time with the original build I liked the direction they were heading. Now we’re back to light (borderline arcade) handling. What I can’t get back is feeling the tires dig into the ground.

The suspension handling isn’t what I had in mind either. Even with the setting maxed to 150 I get some chassis feel, but it’s nothing to get excited about.

I basically picked up where I left off in MyTeam with the Renault 5. Michigan was the location. Same settings I had before the update; 75 SAT, 60 Tire and Wheel slip. Wheel had absolutely no weight, almost felt like the old Pole Position Arcade game.

Tried a half dozen settings, tried suspension at 0 which made things worse. Reducing suspension to 0 does NOT give you the FFB pre patch.

Finally gave up and reset FFB to default. Still terrible. Then increased SAT all the way to 150 and a little wheel weight came back but nothing like before. Car is too light. What exactly am I driving, a golf cart? Disappointed.

Then I tried recalibrating the wheel. Maybe it was placebo, but with SAT at 125, wheel/tire slip at 60, suspension at 100 things seemed a little better, but the original feeling is gone.

What a shame. I may give this another go after a break, but this was not what I was looking for in a FFB update. I seriously must be the minority as I cannot believe this is what people were clamoring for. An arcade racer.

First impressions of the update aren’t good. Basically all the weight has been stripped away. If you liked DR1 you’ll love this update.

While I liked DR1 for what it was, DR2.0 needed a change. And after spending a significant amount of time with the original build I liked the direction they were heading. Now we’re back to light (borderline arcade) handling. What I can’t get back is feeling the tires dig into the ground.

The suspension handling isn’t what I had in mind either. Even with the setting maxed to 150 I get some chassis feel, but it’s nothing to get excited about.

I basically picked up where I left off in MyTeam with the Renault 5. Michigan was the location. Same settings I had before the update; 75 SAT, 60 Tire and Wheel slip. Wheel had absolutely no weight, almost felt like the old Pole Position Arcade game.

Tried a half dozen settings, tried suspension at 0 which made things worse. Reducing suspension to 0 does NOT give you the FFB pre patch.

Finally gave up and reset FFB to default. Still terrible. Then increased SAT all the way to 150 and a little wheel weight came back but nothing like before. Car is too light. What exactly am I driving, a golf cart? Disappointed.

Then I tried recalibrating the wheel. Maybe it was placebo, but with SAT at 125, wheel/tire slip at 60, suspension at 100 things seemed a little better, but the original feeling is gone.

What a shame. I may give this another go after a break, but this was not what I was looking for in a FFB update. I seriously must be the minority as I cannot believe this is what people were clamoring for. An arcade racer.

It's funny how opinions differ on FFB. For me the update was a massive improvement - I actually had usable FFB as opposed to FFB which made the wheel feel like those old cheap wheels with a bungie cord for self centring.

I've had DR 2.0 since release, I actually pre-ordered it, played it for 30 mins trying to get some feel out of the FFB, then went online to see if other people had the same problem. And oh, the noise I saw complaining about it made me realise that a FFB change would be coming sooner or later, so rather than play through the game as it was and get used to the FFB, I decided to delete the game and wait it out in order to prevent myself from being in the position that you, and probably a whole bunch of other people have found themselves in.

I'm not saying I'm right, and I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but for me this change means I can now get on and play DR 2.0 without feeling that I'm not having the full experience.

Edited to add:

I wonder why, while there are so many complaints about ffb feeling, after the ffb fix update there is a complete silence about this topic. I mean there are only 4 posts in this thread.

Probably because the "play window" has already gone. DR 2.0 was released nearly 3 months ago, and has probably already been played to death by the majority of people who bought early and they've now moved onto other things. This leaves just the hardcore DR 2.0 fans who are naturally far fewer in number.

Last edited:
Probably because the "play window" has already gone. DR 2.0 was released nearly 3 months ago, and has probably already been played to death by the majority of people who bought early and they've now moved onto other things. This leaves just the hardcore DR 2.0 fans who are naturally far fewer in number.

Plus, even with FFB changes, there's no denying that Codemasters' actions with regards to DLC, general mistrust over the past, and the fact that the FFB has been borked for so long doesn't exactly endear a lot of trust in people.

I've stopped playing DR2.0. I played DR1 for months - but this is probably the last Codemasters game I am going to buy.

The heavy bungee cord FFB didn’t bother me because I could turn it down. Yes, there wasn’t much surface detail which they improved slightly, but in the process they reduced the overall SAT or at least that’s what it seems to bring out the new update apparently. Now I can’t dial up the overall strength to an acceptable level.
It's funny how opinions differ on FFB. For me the update was a massive improvement - I actually had usable FFB as opposed to FFB which made the wheel feel like those old cheap wheels with a bungie cord for self centring.

I've had DR 2.0 since release, I actually pre-ordered it, played it for 30 mins trying to get some feel out of the FFB, then went online to see if other people had the same problem. And oh, the noise I saw complaining about it made me realise that a FFB change would be coming sooner or later, so rather than play through the game as it was and get used to the FFB, I decided to delete the game and wait it out in order to prevent myself from being in the position that you, and probably a whole bunch of other people have found themselves in.

I'm not saying I'm right, and I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, but for me this change means I can now get on and play DR 2.0 without feeling that I'm not having the full experience.

Edited to add:

After reading posts from around the web about this fix I can’t understand what people are looking for. Even those that were fine with the original FFB are happy with the update with minimal adjustments. Puzzling because there’s nothing similar about the old and new. Maybe I’m missing something, but the difference is night and day and I can’t see how to get the old FFB weight back. Period.

Patiently waiting for a review from @Scaff

Plus, even with FFB changes, there's no denying that Codemasters' actions with regards to DLC, general mistrust over the past, and the fact that the FFB has been borked for so long doesn't exactly endear a lot of trust in people.

I've stopped playing DR2.0. I played DR1 for months - but this is probably the last Codemasters game I am going to buy.

I say that every bloody time, but I'll guarantee to you that I'll still end up pre-ordering F1 2019 deluxe version, and then when it arrives I'll end up sitting in corner with my head in my hands saying to myself "why oh why did I give these people my money again" as I realise that all the bugs and problems of the previous version that took 6 months to fix are back and worse than before.

The heavy bungee cord FFB didn’t bother me because I could turn it down. Yes, there wasn’t much surface detail which they improved slightly, but in the process they reduced the overall SAT or at least that’s what it seems to bring out the new update apparently. Now I can’t dial up the overall strength to an acceptable level.

After reading posts from around the web about this fix I can’t understand what people are looking for. Even those that were fine with the original FFB are happy with the update with minimal adjustments. Puzzling because there’s nothing similar about the old and new. Maybe I’m missing something, but the difference is night and day and I can’t see how to get the old FFB weight back. Period.

Patiently waiting for a review from @Scaff

Didn't change the feeling of weight at all on my end, if I put the suspension slider near zero if feels more or less like it did pre patch.

The only thi g I can think of and that is happening to me at times with my T500 is that at times when I start the game the FFB feels like it's operating at 20% even though I use the exact same values. The next day it's back to normal again. When it happens the FFB feels extremely weak and weightless. This seems to be a Thrustmaster issue though.

Didn't change the feeling of weight at all on my end, if I put the suspension slider near zero if feels more or less like it did pre patch.

The only thi g I can think of and that is happening to me at times with my T500 is that at times when I start the game the FFB feels like it's operating at 20% even though I use the exact same values. The next day it's back to normal again. When it happens the FFB feels extremely weak and weightless. This seems to be a Thrustmaster issue though.

Wondering if there wasn’t some kind of bug with the feedback when resuming an event started pre patch. Started a new event with the Stratos at NZ and the FFB seems similar to the pre patch FFB but now with the added suspension effects. Will keep testing, but maybe this was the issue.

Wondering if there wasn’t some kind of bug with the feedback when resuming an event started pre patch. Started a new event with the Stratos at NZ and the FFB seems similar to the pre patch FFB but now with the added suspension effects. Will keep testing, but maybe this was the issue.
I had this same experience when continuing a weekly event. Steering was very heavy and I thought they had screwed it up but after starting new events all seems good and a decent improvement.

You wonder why? Because people is talking about FBB problem since the first day they spent 70 Euros ( in Europe ) they get tired to complain and wait so long , and pass to another game. My question is " Dear CM, before you issue a racing game, specially a rally, you should test steering wheel, you should test FBB which is the most important thing in a game like this." Before selling a racing game, Codemasters should invite some expert players TO TEST some steering wheels for PC, PS4 and XBOX and make sure that everything is ok. Do you think is fair that I have to wait for 2 months after spending 70 Euros?

I had this same experience when continuing a weekly event. Steering was very heavy and I thought they had screwed it up but after starting new events all seems good and a decent improvement.

I think my initial complaints came after playing a fair bit of the old patch and then coming into the new patch cold turkey. After resuming my Renault 5 event I’m feeling less and less like it was a bug. Still, can’t stand when devs do these massive updates to games these days. My thoughts are the suspension feedback was always there but it was buried under wheel heft, which didn’t bother me because I liked that the cars had some believable weight to them. You couldn’t just chuck and float them around corners like you can now. And the overall handling (especially tarmac) are just like DR1 where you’re skidding and sliding all over the place hunting for front end bite.

Oh well. I’ll get used to it, but it’s just annoying to get used to something, like it, grasp it, and then have it taken away. At the end of the day I’m always in the minority camp.

Also I see they added notices on the Spain events advising at service the upcoming stages are mixed with wet and dry conditions. Probably designed for those who didn’t have the patience or time to read the actual stage forecasts..

My thoughts...

How would you compare the feel of dirt rally1 to 2 now? Is it better or just different? And the game in general?

Could be a bug like when i started up project car or other sims after having played assetto corsa it sometimes screwed the ffb and had to unplug the wheel and reconnect it to fix it. In this case since its after an update, yes could be that you need start an event anew so not using any saved settings i dont know.

I had that heavy steering feel again this morning when I ran a couple of stages before work. Could this be as a result of damaging the car on the last stage last night before turning the game off?

I had that heavy steering feel again this morning when I ran a couple of stages before work. Could this be as a result of damaging the car on the last stage last night before turning the game off?

What wheel do you have?

Pretty unlikely it's car damage.

I have a thrustmaster TGT on DR2 set in others mode.

When I dr2 and go to PS4 home screen the wheel defaults to 360’ rotation (1 blink on led) and every time I have to manually get it to 3 blinks (540’).

How can I keep it on the the same angle of rotation if I have to exit to PS4 dashboard

I'm not really a big fan of the Dirt series as they have traditionally had pretty poor FFB and relatively arcade-like physics, but Dirt Rally 2 is on sale currently and more critically it supports VR, so I think I might give it a go. I'm using a T500 and just wondering if there is a consensus yet as to the current state of FFB? I've read a fair amount of contradictory information regarding that.

I'm not really a big fan of the Dirt series as they have traditionally had pretty poor FFB and relatively arcade-like physics, but Dirt Rally 2 is on sale currently and more critically it supports VR, so I think I might give it a go. I'm using a T500 and just wondering if there is a consensus yet as to the current state of FFB? I've read a fair amount of contradictory information regarding that.

I'll give you my take. What's there is good. The problem is that there is not much there. It's basically SAT, nothing more. There is no tire slip, road surface or suspension feeling. In Wales for example, going over all those cambered crests doesn't generate any force. Nothing. A straight asphalt road section in Poland with heavy camber will have your car sliding towards the ditch but the wheel tells you nothing. Basically the only force is SAT from being sideways.

I also suspect that it's scripted: SAT only appears in turns, or on straights if you are sideways losing control. You can drive slow and zigzag on the straights and there is zero info. But once you come up to a turn the SAT magically appears even though you are still going slow. Then when the turn ends the force is gone.

This makes the driving experience bland, uninformitave, unimmersive and boring for me. It's like you're always driving on a flat road as smooth as glass.

What little FFB is there is actually very well done, but woefully incomplete for my tastes. And that's on loose surfaces. On tarmac it's even worse. SLRE, Gravel and WRC 8 all have much more informative FFB.

What little FFB is there is actually very well done, but woefully incomplete for my tastes. And that's on loose surfaces. On tarmac it's even worse. SLRE, Gravel and WRC 8 all have much more informative FFB.

Thanks for the concise response! And that's definitely not for me. Since getting the VR HMD (Pimax 5K+, I wanted really good FOV for racing games) I've been eager to climb into a couple of classic cars I would love to experience that way and which aren't available in Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2 but are available in DR2 (Alpine A110, Lancia Stratos). But I would have to at least enjoy the game, and it doesn't sound like I would be able to tolerate Dirt Rally 2 for even a few minutes. I'll wait until it's in the the $9.99 budget pile. Surprisingly few racing SIMS or games currently support VR unfortunately, and using products like Vorpx can be really hit and miss.

Thanks for the concise response! And that's definitely not for me. Since getting the VR HMD (Pimax 5K+, I wanted really good FOV for racing games) I've been eager to climb into a couple of classic cars I would love to experience that way and which aren't available in Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2 but are available in DR2 (Alpine A110, Lancia Stratos). But I would have to at least enjoy the game, and it doesn't sound like I would be able to tolerate Dirt Rally 2 for even a few minutes. I'll wait until it's in the the $9.99 budget pile. Surprisingly few racing SIMS or games currently support VR unfortunately, and using products like Vorpx can be really hit and miss.

The Alpine and Stratos are in Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO and WRC 8. But the Alpine in WRC 8 is DLC.

Back