DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
Despite my love for all things 911, the RGT is probably my least driven car in the class because I am terrible at controlling it, but I should really give it another try.
A lot of the default setups in the game are pretty aggressive. If you aren't already tuning your cars, try adding a bit of rear toe-in, softening the rear suspension, and/or reducing the degree of differential locking. You'll never completely forget that it's a rear-engined car, but there is definitely room for improvement.

DR2_RichBunf_Collection.jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/10/the-dirt-roadbook-october-18-2019/

• DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series Qualifiers: Round 2
  • Peugeot 206 Rally & Volkswagen Golf Kitcar – Available October 22
  • Rich Craig’s DiRT Screenshots
  • 9 Year Old Sam vs David Higgins!
  • Rallylegend 2019

Any tips for consistency in hairpins and particularly tracks with multiple tight turns in a row? Playing with a wheel (T150), left foot braking.

I have a love/hate relationship with rally games - love the fast, flowing tracks with only the occasional 1 or hairpin turns, hate the ones full of them. Because I have always sucked at getting the cars whipped around them, particularly the faster, newer AWD cars. Just tried a few stages in an R5 car for the first time since I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 a week or two ago, and I practically had to reverse in several corners on one particularly punishing Argentina stage, as I just couldn't get the damn car thrown in the right direction in the many tight turns.

Ideally I would love a technique that doesn't rely on the handbrake, as I feel it's awkward using a button for that. I try using the brake pedal to upset the balance before turns, which work quite well in many of the older cars, but less so in the modern ones.

Any tips for consistency in hairpins and particularly tracks with multiple tight turns in a row? Playing with a wheel (T150), left foot braking.

I have a love/hate relationship with rally games - love the fast, flowing tracks with only the occasional 1 or hairpin turns, hate the ones full of them. Because I have always sucked at getting the cars whipped around them, particularly the faster, newer AWD cars. Just tried a few stages in an R5 car for the first time since I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 a week or two ago, and I practically had to reverse in several corners on one particularly punishing Argentina stage, as I just couldn't get the damn car thrown in the right direction in the many tight turns.

Ideally I would love a technique that doesn't rely on the handbrake, as I feel it's awkward using a button for that. I try using the brake pedal to upset the balance before turns, which work quite well in many of the older cars, but less so in the modern ones.

Are you doing the scandinavian flick? That's your best way to tackle hairpins (without the handbrake) with FWD and AWD.

Ideally I would love a technique that doesn't rely on the handbrake, as I feel it's awkward using a button for that.
As mentioned above, the 'Scandinavian flick' can help. But even so, you really should get used to using the handbrake when appropriate. Real rally drivers use it in tight hairpins for a reason. It's part of your rally driving toolkit and you're crippling yourself if you avoid it. You wouldn't try to develop a driving technique that didn't rely on the gas pedal, or the brake pedal, or shifting gears, or turning the steering wheel. Well the handbrake is just another control on the car.

As mentioned above, the 'Scandinavian flick' can help. But even so, you really should get used to using the handbrake when appropriate. Real rally drivers use it in tight hairpins for a reason. It's part of your rally driving toolkit and you're crippling yourself if you avoid it. You wouldn't try to develop a driving technique that didn't rely on the gas pedal, or the brake pedal, or shifting gears, or turning the steering wheel. Well the handbrake is just another control on the car.
Quite right, worth developing a good control of the handbrake button or lever if you're lucky. Only can take a touch, in the right spot, to assist the rotation and get you straight on the corner exit. Hopefully. Fun is in the practice.

So I downloaded the 206 and the VW.

I use the close dash cam without the the steering wheel but with the dials.

At the start of a stage there is no engine sound. Cycling through the views fixes this. But still....

The 206 does not have dials, just none. Is that true for the real one as well?

Love both new cars!

The Renault R5 Turbo is listed as a 5 speed manual. Historically correct. But when I drive it, I have to use my sequential shifter to shift gears. Only when I select the H pattern option I can use my H shifter. Strange as other cars do this correct.

Last edited:
Are you doing the scandinavian flick? That's your best way to tackle hairpins (without the handbrake) with FWD and AWD.

Quite right, worth developing a good control of the handbrake button or lever if you're lucky. Only can take a touch, in the right spot, to assist the rotation and get you straight on the corner exit. Hopefully. Fun is in the practice.

I've heard about the Scandinavian flick before (hell, I am Scandinavian :P) so I'll check YouTube. And try to learn to not fumble with that R2 handbrake button :).

Thank you.

The Golf sounds so awesome, looks great too. Missed having a mk4 to play with after it was dropped from CMR2005.

The Golf sounds so awesome

Awesome or not, it doesn't really sound like the real thing at all. I was really looking forward to driving this car as it's one of my all-time favorite rally cars, but the sound kind of ruins it for me :irked:

Awesome or not, it doesn't really sound like the real thing at all. I was really looking forward to driving this car as it's one of my all-time favorite rally cars, but the sound kind of ruins it for me :irked:

The Golf sound is bugged at the moment. Confirmed by a sound dev.

The Golf sound is bugged at the moment. Confirmed by a sound dev.

Shame, I actually quite like it :dopey:

The Peugeot is a real challenge to drive I find. 20 seconds slower down sweet lamb than in the Focus 2001. Might just need a few more runs to feel how it drives.

They didn’t unlock yet on Xbox One for season pass holders, but they are already in the store since this morning. Did something go wrong there?

You have to install them through the store. It will indicate "buy" on the thumbnail but once you select it, it will change to install & the price tag will disappear on the next window if you're a season holder

You have to install them through the store. It will indicate "buy" on the thumbnail but once you select it, it will change to install & the price tag will disappear on the next window if you're a season holder

Ok thanks, I didn’t know that. The problem fixed itself on the 23rd of October though as a scan for updates for the game then showed 2 new addons to install.

I wish you could save replays in most games, even have them in action games. Hope you can in dirt 2. Too bad you can't in the 1st game, you can use the share function but since that saves a video and not real time data, it takes alot of space.
Also the a.i. in rallycross in dirtrally 1 doesn't seem to care if you're on the track.

I wish you could save replays in most games, even have them in action games. Hope you can in dirt 2. Too bad you can't in the 1st game, you can use the share function but since that saves a video and not real time data, it takes alot of space.
Also the a.i. in rallycross in dirtrally 1 doesn't seem to care if you're on the track.

Sadly Codemasters have never let you save your replays in any of their games.

Rallycross even with the small mini is alot of fun. And the pikes peak hillclimb is fun too. I didn't see if it's in dr2, if not, are they going to add it in as dlc?

Also I've been trying the dashcam lately from seeing @pfey recommanding it and im surprised to like it, it's good view to line up the racing lines and still immersive. Thanks for that Steve. Also even 3rd person is fun sometimes and I'm surprised also how dirt rally1 is good with a controller when you don't feel to use your wheel.

Back